Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plus if you use coupon code "clearance18" at Trivillage you get an additional 18 percent off. I got one there for $172. There is a 45 day no questions asked return policy, so if it doesn't fit just send it back.

Quote | Reply
Are you going to share with the rest of the class :)
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recieved my large Octane Tri suit today. Wow this thing fits tight around the chest. It feels fine everywhere else but with the zipper all the way up, it touches my neck and is a little tight. I am right in the middle of the Large for my chest (42") so I know I have the correct size. How tight is this suit supposed to be? The pad sucks. I wish it had way more padding. I'll try it in my upcoming half but I may buy the Castelli T1 Stealth to try it too

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you maybe think and extra large would be more comfortable?

Shame about the lack of cushion in the pad. I may mow wait to see hat comes out later in the year.
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [gunsbuns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is a suit focused on the bike, you pretty much have to unzip it to be comfortable on the run. The pad is at par with a lot of the others out there, I prefer having a thin pad in a race over the thicker ones.
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
If I were in the market to buy a tri suit to save time, and I am, I'd wait until late this year.

If you were to guess about when?

Also aren't there some tops that are a bit more aero than a traditional sleeveless? Maybe I will buy just a top to wear with my current bottoms. The long sleeve white ones look cooler and fast

"Base training is bull shit" - desertdude
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [MFConlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd potentially be interested. You have pics?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
I recieved my large Octane Tri suit today. Wow this thing fits tight around the chest. It feels fine everywhere else but with the zipper all the way up, it touches my neck and is a little tight. I am right in the middle of the Large for my chest (42") so I know I have the correct size. How tight is this suit supposed to be? The pad sucks. I wish it had way more padding. I'll try it in my upcoming half but I may buy the Castelli T1 Stealth to try it too

Harden the **** up. It's not supposed to be comfortable, it's supposed to be fast.
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haha do you own this suit?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:
BryanD wrote:

Harden the **** up. It's not supposed to be comfortable, it's supposed to be fast.

Didn't know that a decent pad caused drag on the bike :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried one on this weekend at the PI outlet store in Ft. Worth. I really want it because it tests fast but I believe running in it would SUCK! Thinking that 1:30 I would save thorugh 56 miles would turn into 2-5 extra minutes on the run. Maybe will just stick to comfort and take that edge.

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [jhornebx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jhornebx wrote:
.... I'm 5'9, 135lbs, and did all the measurements to figure out size. Reading this thread makes me think I should've gone with small. So...who wants to swap small for medium for a fit test (black and red color scheme)? :) I've only tried mine on...haven't put any miles on it yet. -j

FWIW: I'm 5'7" and 134lbs. The size small fits me well. Sleek yet comfortable.
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [morey000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
morey000 wrote:
jhornebx wrote:
.... I'm 5'9, 135lbs, and did all the measurements to figure out size. Reading this thread makes me think I should've gone with small. So...who wants to swap small for medium for a fit test (black and red color scheme)? :) I've only tried mine on...haven't put any miles on it yet. -j

FWIW: I'm 5'7" and 134lbs. The size small fits me well. Sleek yet comfortable.

I am about the same size and all I would add is that I need to pay attention to the sleeves or there will be some wrinkles in them. I think that this is a tradeoff for being able to swim and run in the thing though. Fits me perfectly elsewhere.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Internet User
Last edited by: Dark Mark: Apr 8, 14 12:30
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [Tony5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tony5 wrote:
Are you going to share with the rest of the class :)

It doesn't really matter; what is fast on someone else is probably likely to not necessarily be your fastest option.

For example, the total delta in grams of drag for me from tight-fitting 2 pc tri apparel to Castelli Body Paint 3 skinsuit was exceptionally small. It's so individual that making apparel purchasing decisions based on trends is even less of a certainty than basing helmet purchases off trends.
Last edited by: James Haycraft: Apr 8, 14 12:35
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But it looks cool....

Internet User
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [Dark Mark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so true thanks James
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [bufit323] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bufit323 wrote:
I am about the same size and all I would add is that I need to pay attention to the sleeves or there will be some wrinkles in them. I think that this is a tradeoff for being able to swim and run in the thing though. Fits me perfectly elsewhere.

same here. i get a few wrinkles over the armpits, in front of my shoulders. For those of you winning by 2 seconds, I can understand where this might be important. For me... not so much. it's a comfortable suit. I bought it on sale at Trisports and had no idea it had tested so fast. Just liked it... and it was on sale. guess I got lucky.

I can also report that the 'cold black' fabric does indeed work. not that it feels 'cold' in the sun, but it doesn't feel as warm as what a black suit would normally feel. I've done a couple hot sunny races in it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I noticed a few wrinkles on mine. I think it's almost unavoidable for most of us. How tight is the chest for you guys?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went on the tighter end all the way around rather then give up some wrinkles. It is a little harder to get on but not terrible.. I will post pictures tomorrow as I am heading out for a late run.

As I mentioned, I'm 6'2.5", 195# and went with a medium.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The chest on my small is tight but the medium isn't bad. I actually have less wrinkles with the medium too. I think the small was just pulling way to much. I'm heading to the wind tunnel today so hopefully I'll have time to test it. Gotta dial my position in and find a helmet first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Update from the tunnel. I tested a small and medium. The difference between the 2 was so small it makes sense for me to go with the medium. At 15 degrees I could feel the sleeve slightly catching wind but nothing significant. I don't have the exact numbers yet (should have them tonight) but it tested way better than my 2 piece Kiwami kit. The Fusion top tested better than my current kit. I wish I had a Castelli T1 top to try.
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
holy shit! I thought I was nutz for going to a small. I'm 5'10" 165lbs. Looks like we are both thinking the same thing.