Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [BBAddict] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can stand just fine in a small at 6'3"...overall height doesn't really matter, it's all about torso size. Freakishly long legs and short torso for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great to hear. I'm also a long legs, short torso body type, so hopefully the small will work. In my quest to become more aero, I've become very small torsoed!!

Shut up legs.
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just ordered an XL from Amazon and will compare to the Large. I tried the Large on again this morning and I still think it might be too small even though I fit within their range of measurements. I will let you guys know what the differences in fit are

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
I just ordered an XL from Amazon and will compare to the Large. I tried the Large on again this morning and I still think it might be too small even though I fit within their range of measurements. I will let you guys know what the differences in fit are

Do you have really big arms or something? I'm bigger than you (6'2.5" 193lbs) and fit into a medium. The medium is skin tight, but I assume that is how it is supposed to fit. The large was baggy on my arms.
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 42 inch chest. My arms are long and lanky. It just feels too tight. My kiwami suit is an XL and my Champsys suit is a Large so I'm all over the place in sizing. Not to mention my Champsys cycling gear is an XL jersey and Large shorts. lol...I hate being tall

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Apr 16, 14 9:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The XL was more comfortable around the chest but too loose around the arms and legs. I could put a finger between my quads and the suit. I found that if i adjusted the Large when I put it on, it fits better. I sent the XL back to Amazon today.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
The XL was more comfortable around the chest but too loose around the arms and legs. I could put a finger between my quads and the suit. I found that if i adjusted the Large when I put it on, it fits better. I sent the XL back to Amazon today.

That is how the large was on me so I went down to the medium...
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [gunsbuns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gunsbuns,

Did you ever pull the trigger on this suit?
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not yet. Reading the responses I'm thinking both L and XL will fit me but each may be slightly too big or too small. Because I'll be using it for Tri only and will be wanting to run in a bit of comfort (and I'm not getting any younger), I'll prob opt for the XL
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like most of the guys on here are sticks and I think we're a similar size. I'm an inch shorter than you and down to ~188 at race weight. Usually starting the season closer to 200 though. 43-44 chest and 34 waist with the measuring tape. I have the sleeveless version in a large but it was flapping around and catching lots of wind on the bike and also opened up in non-wetsuit swims. Otherwise the fit was spot on and I had used it under regular jerseys like bibs because of how well it fit. I eventually had the straps altered (shortened?) to get the top up a little higher. The neck hole is huge so you can slip it on, but it also became a sail. The modification only slightly helped. I was truthfully debating sizing down to a medium for a little bit (on the sleeved octane), but will be ordering the large shortly.

These suits leave almost nothing to the imagination.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 43 chest, 37 hip, 35 waist, 34.5 inseam , 24 leg , 20.5 shoulder width and 14 arm (more popgun than gun) - all inches. Wish their sizing had all of these indicated so buying on line was less hit and miss.

I'm now thinking large as well but let me know how you go
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They do have all of the sizing listed on the website.....http://shop.pearlizumi.com/...=1644423&outlet= see the tab for sizing?
EDIT: nevermind, I see you added extra measurements

Last edited by: BryanD: Apr 22, 14 20:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the record: I am a 42" chest, 35" waist, 40" hip, and 33" inseam and I went with a Large

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
For the record: I am a 42" chest, 35" waist, 40" hip, and 33" inseam and I went with a Large

I'm a 41" chest, 33 waist, not sure on hip and 33-34" inseam and ended up in a medium. It is skin tight but not pulling too much that it is uncomfortable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those of you still looking for these - Sierra Trading has them for $136.47 + .99 shipping. You will likely have to sign for emails in order to get his price - it is a 35% discount from their listed price of $210.00

Looks like they have red/black in all sizes and the blue/black in L and XL.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/...F&colorFamily=01#
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gunsbuns,

I'm within a half inch or so of all those measurements, except your inseam is longer. From my experience with the sleeveless Pro Tri Suit in a large, you will have a bit of extra material with the XL. I maybe could have managed a medium, but the large was plenty tight except for the top becoming a sail on the bike. Plus it's really hard to get in and out of without a zipper. If they added a zipper and closed up the neck opening so it didn't catch water/wind, I would buy the sleeveless again.

Since you and I have a bigger chest, shoulders and arms than many triathletes, the sleeves are probably the only thing that could possibly get in the way. My understanding is that chest circumference will be slightly smaller in the aero position and you will want to run with the front unzipped, so I'm not worried about the chest measurement.

For two of the other brands I have tried on one piece suits, an XL seems to be the right fit. PI stuff matches up well to their own sizing charts, but keep in mind a large for a Pearl Izumi top is darn near an XL-XXL in high performance fits of some other brands.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The range of opinions and body sizes regarding the fit of this suit is amazing. I am 5' 8", 155 lbs and 32.5' waist. My race weight is 150. Seems like a natural for a Medium but I've seen some posts by guys bigger than me that a Small fits them, and folks near the same size as me saying a Small is too tight. It would be nice to be able to actually try them on before purchasing.
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd say your definitely a small. I could fit a small at 6'1 and 158lbs. Only issue was it wouldn't have been comfortable to run in. With you being 3" shorter you shouldn't have that problem. The small had more wrinkles and tested worse on me in the wind tunnel. I contribute this to it being too tight and pulling the material in all the wrong places.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it helps for some of the larger guys, hold off till tonight. I'll post of pic with my dimensions for fit. Things to consider where you are giving weight/size is body composition...some people can be a slip 200lbs and some can be a big 200lbs.

6'3, 200lbs and I have a large. I'd almost consider a medium...
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [Tony5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone tried this suit in the Heat. I'm 6 1", 163, 33 waist, and the large is snug. Chest is snug...so much so, I know I'll be opening up the zipper to breath.

My concern is how will this suit do in the heat?: http://www.wunderground.com/...st/zmw:84791.3.99999
Last edited by: bill12: Apr 23, 14 13:45
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [bill12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bill12 wrote:
Has anyone tried this suit in the Heat. I'm 6 1", 163, 33 waist, and the large is snug. Chest is snug...so much so, I know I'll be opening up the zipper to breath.

My concern is how will this suit do in the heat?:http://www.wunderground.com/...st/zmw:84791.3.99999[/quote[/url]]

Used the PI Octane for IMAZ last November. Temperature got up to 75/76F on the run. Suit worked just fine.

An added benefit is the SPF50 rating, as my goal is to finish the race the same color that I started.

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Octane tri suit [bill12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Suit is fine in the heat as long as you keep it wet. I unzip mine all the way on the run to allow ice to get to the twins easily and when you drop ice down the back it tends to sit on your lower back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GB,

I wanted to get back to you since our measurements were so similar. I finally picked one up and have spent minimal time in it. The large was spot on. The chest is slightly tight when zipped, but feels fine on the bike. Open the zipper up for the run and I have plenty of room. I have no idea how PeteD fit into a medium, but I can't say that I actually tried a medium.

Haven't done a swim without a wetsuit so I can't tell if there is any additional restriction while swimming. The legs and sleeves are fairly long. The sleeves came right to my elbows. I'm a fan of that. There are basically zero wrinkles on the shoulders and arms and I think you would be similar since cool dudes know how to fill out their sleeves.

Just like the sleeveless version from two seasons ago, there's good package support but it leaves nothing to the imagination. You may want to keep your race belt on and keep your number in a strategic location post-race.

The pad is the same one they have been using in their elite and pro tri shorts for a couple years. There's hardly anything to it, but it dries fast and is comfortable to run in.

I can't answer the heat question yet. If I'm racing and it's above 40, I'm sweating. Really hard to compare to anything else in that regard. After how sunburned I got last weekend, I'm pretty excited about the extra coverage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dangle - great overview.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dangle, thanks for the thoroughly detailed description of the suit! I'm 6'0", 158lbs and am deciding between a S and M. I am thinking of going with the S for a tight fit. IMFL will be my first IM distance. I plan to wear this under a full wetsuit, and then put on cycling shorts for the ride.

Did you wear the top under the wetsuit or have it rolled down? If it was up, how did the shoulders/armpits feel under the wetsuit? If you had it rolled down, did you have any issues rolling it up in T1?

Also, how is the chamois seam? You mentioned it isn't a problem for running. I have a PI Attack tri short. Is it similar to that?

Thanks!
Quote Reply

Prev Next