Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [badgertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
badgertri wrote:
Just out of curiosity...if they take samples from multiple locations do they take the average of the results? What is the methodology to make a fair decision? One of the reports said that the level of toxins ranged from 0 to 2-3x the safe amount. If there is any chance that an athlete could swim through the 2-3x the safe amount do you cancel if every other sample came back as zero?

From a legal perspective I am curious what the risk tolerance is.

I think one of the articles linked from a few days ago said they go by "parts per billion" and 20 is the guideline. A week ago they were getting samples of zero to 40 or 50 along the course and worse readings than that upriver from Louisville. Now that was a week ago before we got more rain and colder temps. I think some additional results should come today from recent tests the end of last week. I keep seeing that it takes 3 days to get results so to me that means Thursday is the last chance. If the levels aren't down by then... Friday, Saturday and Sunday conditions may not matter if 3 days are needed to get results. Here is the latest story I've seen....

http://www.whas11.com/...l-jeopardy/73338714/

Last edited by: jmk1538: Oct 5, 15 12:03
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [kell0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a 2x Louisville finisher and the swim is by far my weakest link.....a no swim IM Louisville sounds awesome to me!!!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
I'm a 2x Louisville finisher and the swim is by far my weakest link.....a no swim IM Louisville sounds awesome to me!!!

d00d, back off! you're not racing Lou this time! :)

that being said, i'm much more of a runner than a swimmer. should it happen (and I hope it does not), this format suits my strengths.
Last edited by: d00d: Oct 5, 15 12:57
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:
japarker24 wrote:

d00d, back of! you're not racing Lou this time! :)

that being said, i'm much more of a runner than a swimmer. should it happen (and I hope it does not), this format suits my strengths.

I'm just envious that you guys are most likely going to at least race SOMETHING on your scheduled date!!!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a better swimmer than a runner but no way do I want to swim in green algae slime. YUK!
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel the same way. I want to swim, but not if it will have a decent chance of getting me sick. Swimming in the Ohio is already a risk proposition as it is.
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [kell0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So the article in the paper indicated some higher levels detected in certain locations. A guess (maybe a good guess) as to where the high levels are present is in the channel where the swim starts (water is much more stagnant there). If that is the case why not change the swim course to exclude the channel. One possibility would be to go with the original design -- start the swim at the swim exit and swim 1.2 upriver and then 1.2 back. This could still be a time trial start. The reason this approach was abandoned before the first year's race was because the current was too strong and the weaker swimmers could not make any progress against it. I would hope that the army corps could lend a hand here this year and give us a three hour or so window of low current. You could also implement an option of a bike-run for those not interested in Kona slots, etc. similar to the option to wear a west suit above 76.1 so that the really weak swimmers could still participate.

Another possibility would be a start 2.4 miles or so upriver from the finish. This one would involve much more logistics -- I do not think there is a dock or other convenient entry point in that area. Maybe haul people upriver on some boats to a starting line???
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [hugoagogo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HUGO has the best thought I have seen on here. Go up river 1.2 down 1.2 or whatever. I was thinking something similar..... or maybe change the swim entry point to across the river like in Chattanooga. Or get a boat or two and take us up river and let us swim down. That canal is gross on a good day which could be the issue. Hard for me to believe we can't swim in a flowing river.

My continued disappointment is that this was known back in late august or according to some on here it was known years ago. Why not look for any other possible alternative Yes I think we beat the dead horse there is no where else to swim in metro louisville. I hope WTC and ironman is do something because at this point based on their comments in that KY water blog they seem content with canceling the swim. They say we want the swim but only if this agency lets us. Hopefully ironman has thought of another entry point if needed. That is what I want to hear. We looked everywhere. If you watch any of the videos from the news the river is moving and does not look green like it used to.

Maybe we all need to email ironman and beg them to let us swim.... Maybe if they got 2k emails asking to swim somewhere they would listen.

A good example of companies listening to their customers is delta airlines figured out that people would rather get home even if it was hours and I mean hours later than change to a flight the next day. They call this completion of a segment or something like that bottom line if ironman needs to know most important thing to us with Ironman is the distance then maybe they would look for alternative sites or find areas to COMPLETE the distance.
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [bamatriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am all in favor of swimming, but if it's not safe to swim, it's not safe to swim. You can't force it.
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [writhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am all about being safe as well. However I bet if they test this river or any river they would be some junk in it that we should not be swimming in. Austin 70.3 is a cooling lake for some factory deal. Believe me all of us may glow on the inside from the places we swim in triathlons. Believe me ironman is going to error towards safety. If they let us swim it will be safe. I still believe and hope Ironman is doing what Hugo started on here. It seems this river is no as bad away from that nasty dock area. Put us all in the water and do a mass start that would be better any way :)

This seems promising the owner of a tri store thinks there is plan B and C

http://www.wave3.com/...on-could-be-canceled
Last edited by: bamatriguy: Oct 5, 15 14:34
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [bamatriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironman just released a statement (on FB page) saying samples from Oct. 1 are well below threshold levels! They're going to continue to test this week, but this is good news, let's hope it stays that way.
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [jmk1538] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great news!
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmk is the best!!!! Swim time. Keep on testing. I do think Maryland, Florida and Lousiville do show that WTC needs to address alternate courses or something.

Either way we do what is before us Sunday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They need a 2nd consecutive passed test before they'll lift the advisory. But this is promising news.
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:
They need a 2nd consecutive passed test before they'll lift the advisory. But this is promising news.

Here's the key part of the story..The test results from around the course show microcystin toxin levels to be below four parts per billion. As long as tests show levels below 20 parts per billion, the races will likely go on.
That aforementioned advisory is still in effect, and a decision to lift if by the DOW will not be made until consecutive test below 20 parts per billion are obtained.
Officials say more testing is planned for Tuesday.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [Printer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From IRONMAN today

Athletes, The Kentucky Division of Water (DOW) sampling results from the Ohio River near the IRONMAN Louisville triathlon race course taken on Thursday, Oct. 1 showed microcystin toxin levels well below the threshold for a recreational advisory.
The DOW, the DPH and representatives from IRONMAN are working together over the next days 6 to continually assess the safety conditions of the Ohio River on race day.
More info here: https://kydep.wordpress.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [loutriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Latest news from yesterday (Oct. 5):

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) - The Kentucky Division of Water says recent samples from the Ohio River show improvement to toxin levels that caused an advisory last month.
With several thousands IRONMAN athletes scheduled to race in Louisville on Sunday, officials say the sampling is encouraging.
The test results from around the course show microcystin toxin levels to be below four parts per billion. As long as tests show levels below 20 parts per billion, the races will likely go on.
That aforementioned advisory is still in effect, and a decision to lift if by the DOW will not be made until consecutive test below 20 parts per billion are obtained.
Officials say more testing is planned for Tuesday.

http://www.wdrb.com/...ls-in-the-ohio-river
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [writhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One week ago its 2 to 4 times the 20 billion level and now a week later is five times below that level at four parts per billion. I don't know what to think about their testing protocols and accuracy.

Is there a water testing person on ST that could chime in, it would make me feel better.
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
summitt wrote:
One week ago its 2 to 4 times the 20 billion level and now a week later is five times below that level at four parts per billion. I don't know what to think about their testing protocols and accuracy.

Is there a water testing person on ST that could chime in, it would make me feel better.

I'm by no means a testing person, but the main difference between the previous testing and the most recent is that Louisville got a pretty good amount of rain and the temperature dropped in between.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmk1538 wrote:
summitt wrote:

I'm by no means a testing person, but the main difference between the previous testing and the most recent is that Louisville got a pretty good amount of rain and the temperature dropped in between.
And those were the two main things they said would help!
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [loutriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm happy they are testing and it will really put my mind at ease if the person making the call on whether we swim or not will chug a big glass of river water prior to the start of the swim ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJ56 wrote:
I'm happy they are testing and it will really put my mind at ease if the person making the call on whether we swim or not will chug a big glass of river water prior to the start of the swim ;)

Just b/c it's safe to swim in for an hour doesn't mean it's safe to drink! ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely. If we swim, I can assure that the first cup of water I get coming out will be used to swish my mouth and then spit it all out.
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Definitely. If we swim, I can assure that the first cup of water I get coming out will be used to swish my mouth and then spit it all out.

My doc said that, when swimming in bodies of water like that, it prob wouldn't hurt to rinse your eyes out with tap water sometime after the race...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We are swimming I would bet on it. Those folks worried about if we get sick. That test that was released on friday was taken multiple days before so it is not a friday to monday deal it was maybe a week or more. I no water expert but I do know that that river is moving and all the rain must have helped. Who knows we might have quite the current! We will be safe. Yes I will clean out my eyes and mouth afterwards but I won't think about the green stuff once during that swim and no of the rest of us need to even think about it. Game time sunday!
Quote Reply

Prev Next