Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [rsmoylan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea I think so as well but if WTC moves maryland they are going to be setting a precedent that if something is wrong we will move it. Now I know that maryland is different because it is possible they could not do anything.

yes I believe 90 percent chance we do the entire 140.6 with 10 percent chance we do not swim
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [jmk1538] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmk1538 wrote:
Here is the latest. Local news report from yesterday...

http://www.wdrb.com/...-algae-in-ohio-river

Even if it clears, I'm passing on the practice swim on Saturday.
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
summitt wrote:
jmk1538 wrote:

Yeah, I'd already planned on doing that. I've been told never do the practice swims at Lou, TX or AZ due to typical water quality issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rsmoylan wrote:
They will not delay or move this race. If anything they will just cancel the swim. IMO that won't happen either. We will be fine, and be racing the full 140.6 in 11 days.

Yeah, if that's all that's left, this is a nonissue. I photo from the docks looking upstream would have been more revealing. I would hope they clean up the floating trash before the start though.
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [kell0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much of that east coast rain is going to get in the Ohio river valley? If that tropical storm turns inland it could make for a Chattanooga type swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
summitt wrote:
jmk1538 wrote:

I'm not sure why anybody would do the practice swim, EVER.
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJ56 wrote:
How much of that east coast rain is going to get in the Ohio river valley? If that tropical storm turns inland it could make for a Chattanooga type swim.

just what we need, another reason for dev to start a thread and complain

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJ56 wrote:
I'm not sure if it's related to the hurricane, but it appears Louisville is expected to get quite a bit of rain over the next 4 days.
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Well, the Ohio river basin covers a bigger area than I thought. Looks like it should get a good "flush" with all the rain out east.

Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Riverthon was supposed to take place this weekend. One of the guys in my office was heading down there tomorrow, but just got notification that it has been postponed due to the algae.
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [A.Hart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New article out now. Seems like they are testing a lot but as of right now it is not good numbers for a swim. Does sounds like they are testing it often and that it is coming down but who knows. I for one wish they would consider delaying the race if that would help. Who knows if time will help.

http://www.courier-journal.com/...water-safe/73231770/
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [bamatriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read that this morning. I don't think they would delay like IMMD as there is a whole different scenario up there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Numbers are coming down. Cooler weather is here. There is still another week to go. Plan on swimming.

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No joke. I am fully aware of the difference. But they should start considering these delays or alternate plans into these ironman courses. We spend hours and hours training. Clearly it is not ironman or wtc fault but I think some flexibility could be great.

Believe me I am ready to do either course but it sucks to not get to compare or pr or whatever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've planned on swimming all along. I'd almost feel guilty crossing the finish line without swimming. That said, I won't complain for one second of its cancelled.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where did you hear the numbers are coming down? According to that article they are from zero to two times the allowable limit. I am hopeful as well and I think a week might make a difference. There is is something in that article about testing twice before clearance and that it takes 3 days to get results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That article is concerning.

It's been pretty cold (low in 40s) in Louisville today and yesterday and we've got plenty of rain. I was by the swim start this evening and you can see some of the stuff in the sitting water by the boat dock but have to look closely at the part we swim in by towhead island to see the little specs of it floating. I will say the river looks high and is moving right now and moving FAST. I'm no scientist so who knows if that all matters, but we got the rain and at least brief cooler temps (though it will get warmer starting tomorrow) we thought might help so just have to hope now it'll clear in time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bamatriguy wrote:
Where did you hear the numbers are coming down? According to that article they are from zero to two times the allowable limit. I am hopeful as well and I think a week might make a difference. There is is something in that article about testing twice before clearance and that it takes 3 days to get results.

The article is either contradictory or poor journalism because it doesn't rationalize the following three statements:

- they will conduct testing 4 times between Friday and up to 3 days before the race. This implies that it takes 3 days to get results.
- the swim can go on as planned if the recreational advisory is lifted "even just hours before the race is scheduled to start" This implies they can test early Sunday morning and make the call.
- "Officials will be checking for visual contamination" Does visual mean with unaided eyesight or a powerful microscope?
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too thought the article lacked any new knowledge. And was just wrote to stir people up.
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [Naps a lot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was going to do a swim workout today, but felt I needed some duathlon training instead.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It all feels amateur to me at best. I still can't figure out why ironman would not make alterative courses at each event for problems just like these.

-why is it ironman a major brand does not know if we are swimming and the great Ohio swim is all in and even put it on their website?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would disagree. Maryland was due to weather that would cause issues for the entire race, not just one leg (maybe one leg). Also, while Ironman (corporate) would surely prefer (for financial reasons) that a reschedule takes place so that they don't have to give our discounts on future races like was done at Tahoe. Further, I would imagine the rescheduling issue is done at the race director level, as this person is the one who knows if they can secure permits, have volunteers, etc.

Point being, changing Maryland doesn't set a precedent per se. Each race will have highly different circumstances as to whether or not changing days or weekends is possible. Corporate decisions re: discounts pursuant to a canceled race would be a precedent you could HOPEFULLY rely on (e.g., Tahoe 2014).

Should every race have a contingency plan? Sure; that'd be great.

@CycleHeavy
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [kell0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My useless two cents worth - tonight's NBC News showed a satellite map with this huge bright red rain storm moving straight as an arrow through South Carolina, across western North Carolina and Eastern Tennessee and then right through southeastern Kentucky toward Louisville. Should die down a lot before it gets there, but hopefully it will help break up the goop.
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [TriMeSBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Better on contingent plans is all I am asking for counselor :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bamatriguy wrote:
It all feels amateur to me at best. I still can't figure out why ironman would not make alterative courses at each event for problems just like these.

-why is it ironman a major brand does not know if we are swimming and the great Ohio swim is all in and even put it on their website?

Clearly you've never planned a race before.

Do you want WTC to get permits, and have alternative routes for all Swim, Bike, & Run courses in all IRONMAN events?

Just in case a freak deal like this comes through?
Quote Reply

Prev Next