Beach 2 battleship is still open on oct 17...great race
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [racehd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racehd wrote:
d00d wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:
Still have over 2 weeks to go.

My long range forecast has several evening in the 50's and 3 chances for rain. You also need to look at the weather upstream across the region.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. My athlete is a stronger swim/bike than runner. The strong runners that are poor swimmers will gain 4-7 minutes on him if the swim is cancelled. If the swim had been cancelled at my IM last year, I would have lost 2-3 places I think.

Everyone says how unimportant the swim is, but that's not true, when some very fast runners are poor swimmers. It equalizes the run for "all-arounders". It's hard to go sub 9 or sub 4 hours in 70.3 is you swim a 1:10 or 38:00 respectively. That's a lot of time to make up on the bike/run. I predict Sanders will miss wining Kona almost exactly by the margin of his swim time to the lead pack.... or he'll blow up trying to close the gap.

I don't know how I feel about this. I am a decent swimmer, above average cyclist, and good runner. It would definitely be to my advantage to cancel the swim. That being said, and I know a lot of ppl that did the shortened IMFL that feel the same way, I'd never feel like it was an IM.

The swim isn't my forte, but I'll cross my fingers that we do get to race all 3 events.

Swim is the weakest of the three disciplines, but if the swim gets cancelled I'm going to be very conflicted. I've been wanting to do an ironman for 10 years and never got serious about it until 20 months ago. Next year I'm already committing to switch from tri to time trials. I enjoy triathlons, but 11ish years of running my knees are wanting a break. All of that is to say, it is in my best interest for the swim to get cancelled from a finishing standpoint but I don't want it to. I want to accomplish the goal I set out for 10 years ago and I'd hate to be given a free pass on my weakest leg. If it was cancelled I'd seriously consider taking it very easy on race day and then in a ~2 weeks do one on my own in practice.

Do a full Ironman on your own???
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [jmk1538] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That first article is fishing for news..... The second is a little more of a problem but they say that canoe race is still going to happen on 10/3/15 I bet a bunch of ironman triathletes will be watching that race to see if it happens. It is the article. I just wish ironman would set up secondary swim sites at all ironman races I mean look at florida they could have done it across the area. It can't be that hard to have these for each race. Hopefully if it is cancelled it will be run bike run so we don't have a wonderful tour de france style bike ride for the first 10 miles or so.

Any locals on here got any insight?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmk1538 wrote:

It's a personal goal, so why not? I have an abundance of mental toughness and physically I'm ready for it. Only thing is it wouldn't be "official" but again, it goes back to being a personal goal. Regardless, I'm still not going to worry about this too much right now. Definitely not paying another registration fee to make it "official" if the swim gets cancelled.
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [bamatriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would doubt there are any alternatives, but they did that for Clearwater the year I did it, moved from ocean to intercoastal
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [MTranquilli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yea not sure if there are any other places in louisville but in a florida or other places there are other places. I would bet money we swim that being said who knows what will happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm covering my bases and adding a second IM. The folks at Endurance Sports Travel can still get you in IMFL on November 7th.

Endurance Sports Travel
725 Westbourne Road
West Chester, PA 19382
(o) 610-399-4662
(c) 215-370-1474
www.endurancesportstravel.com

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racehd wrote:
jmk1538 wrote:

It's a personal goal, so why not? I have an abundance of mental toughness and physically I'm ready for it. Only thing is it wouldn't be "official" but again, it goes back to being a personal goal. Regardless, I'm still not going to worry about this too much right now. Definitely not paying another registration fee to make it "official" if the swim gets cancelled.

Hey, I hear you, go for it. I think we'd all be disappointed with a swim cancel, especially first timers like myself. All the time put in to train and don't get to do the whole thing. It's a personal goal for me as well and everyone else I'm sure. It would be horrible to have it shortened, but it's out of our hands. That's awesome if you end up doing one on your own. I think that may not be possible for most of us and the thought of finding another next year is hard to deal with.

I'm in Louisville and to answer others questions about swim alternatives...there really aren't any I can think of. They'd have to move the entire swim bike run somewhere else and that just isn't realistic at all. There's nothing nearby I can think of unless they went to a lake somewhere in Southern Indiana or something. Pretty safe to say we're either swimming in the Ohio or we aren't and if we aren't, we're just gonna bike and run at the locations planned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks of rate heads up..... What is the word on the street? Funny enough they moved the great ohio swim form 9/27 to 10/10 and if you read on their website it says that technically the levels tested are not bad enough to cause problems but the state agencies have issued the warnings not to swim. Only bad news I see is no rain in forecast but that could change and seems like the air temp is not going down in the forecast.... Only well really it is too far out to really know for sure what will happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking bad for the swim. Forecast is 80, sunny no rain through next Friday. I think WTC has one more year on the contract, do they more date back to august for next year? does this kill IM LOU after the contract? I wish they had just left it in August, may consider late may?
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [kell0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kell0 wrote:
may consider late may?

This would be awesome.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kell0 wrote:
Looking bad for the swim. Forecast is 80, sunny no rain through next Friday. I think WTC has one more year on the contract, do they more date back to august for next year? does this kill IM LOU after the contract? I wish they had just left it in August, may consider late may?

There is a lot of misinformation here. 50-60% chance of rain for friday and saturday of this week. (two days from now) and IM and Louisville extended their contract. IM Louisville is going nowhere and it is staying in October. Where did you get your info?

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kell0 wrote:

???? Not sure what you're talking about as far as moving it back or choosing another month. This algae situation has nothing to do with it being in October. It's a freak occurrence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bamatriguy wrote:
That first article is fishing for news..... The second is a little more of a problem but they say that canoe race is still going to happen on 10/3/15 I bet a bunch of ironman triathletes will be watching that race to see if it happens. It is the article. I just wish ironman would set up secondary swim sites at all ironman races I mean look at florida they could have done it across the area. It can't be that hard to have these for each race. Hopefully if it is cancelled it will be run bike run so we don't have a wonderful tour de france style bike ride for the first 10 miles or so.

Any locals on here got any insight?

I did IMFL last year when the swim was canx. They did a controlled start by race numbers that separated the field far more than the swim ever could have. Florida has a reputation for being a draft fest but it certainly was not last year. In fact, if there were any complaints it was from those folks that waited more than 90 mins before they were able to start. I certainly hope the swim is not cancelled (again for me), but I would bet they do exactly what they did at Florida.
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bet we swim. There are 6 days of possible rain as of right now and multiple days with lows in the 50's. The two things needed is rain and lower temps. I am going to ignore everything else till week of the race. Ironman would not be making any decisions till day before anyway so why should I. Either swim bike run or bike run. I am betting we swim!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like your attitude! This whole thing reminds me of when I did IM Arizona in 2010. For those that don't remember, on 10 July, 2010, a portion of the dam collapsed thus draining the entire Tempe Town Lake. The swim hinged on whether the dam could be repaired and the lake filled in time for the race in November. Repairs were completed on 8 Oct, 2010 and it took 2 1/2 weeks to fill the lake. The lake was opened for normal water activities on 26 Oct, 2010. You can imagine the discussions, handwringing and gnashing of teeth that ensued between 10 Jul and 26 Oct 2010. We triathletes tend to worry a lot.

Similarly, the Deepwater Horizon Oil spill started on 20 April 2010 and wasn't capped until 15 July 2010. It took months more before it became clear that the oil would not impact the IMFL swim. Again, the boards lit up with grief over the potential for a change in venue.

Contrast these incidents to Ironman Florida last year where there were no concerns about the swim until the last few days. So I am hoping the axiom of Ironman swims is that the earlier and louder the wailing, the less likely there will actually be a cancellation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree. I think every night in the 7+ days prior to the race will have a low temp in the 50s, if not the 40s.
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pass this attitude along!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Need rain up river to get the current moving. Right now the rain forecasted is coming up from the southeast, and won't affect up river. Cooler temps will help though. Last i heard many places in the river were only moving at 1/2 mile per hour, and when you have 500 miles of that stuff, it will take a while to move out.
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluemonkeytri wrote:
Need rain up river to get the current moving. Right now the rain forecasted is coming up from the southeast, and won't affect up river. Cooler temps will help though. Last i heard many places in the river were only moving at 1/2 mile per hour, and when you have 500 miles of that stuff, it will take a while to move out.

Maysville, KY is projected to get rain this Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Maybe that will help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racehd wrote:
d00d wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:

My long range forecast has several evening in the 50's and 3 chances for rain. You also need to look at the weather upstream across the region.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. My athlete is a stronger swim/bike than runner. The strong runners that are poor swimmers will gain 4-7 minutes on him if the swim is cancelled. If the swim had been cancelled at my IM last year, I would have lost 2-3 places I think.

Everyone says how unimportant the swim is, but that's not true, when some very fast runners are poor swimmers. It equalizes the run for "all-arounders". It's hard to go sub 9 or sub 4 hours in 70.3 is you swim a 1:10 or 38:00 respectively. That's a lot of time to make up on the bike/run. I predict Sanders will miss wining Kona almost exactly by the margin of his swim time to the lead pack.... or he'll blow up trying to close the gap.

I don't know how I feel about this. I am a decent swimmer, above average cyclist, and good runner. It would definitely be to my advantage to cancel the swim. That being said, and I know a lot of ppl that did the shortened IMFL that feel the same way, I'd never feel like it was an IM.

The swim isn't my forte, but I'll cross my fingers that we do get to race all 3 events.

Swim is the weakest of the three disciplines, but if the swim gets cancelled I'm going to be very conflicted. I've been wanting to do an ironman for 10 years and never got serious about it until 20 months ago. Next year I'm already committing to switch from tri to time trials. I enjoy triathlons, but 11ish years of running my knees are wanting a break. All of that is to say, it is in my best interest for the swim to get cancelled from a finishing standpoint but I don't want it to. I want to accomplish the goal I set out for 10 years ago and I'd hate to be given a free pass on my weakest leg. If it was cancelled I'd seriously consider taking it very easy on race day and then in a ~2 weeks do one on my own in practice.

I am a strong swimmer and cyclist. My run is average but if the swim is cancelled the runners now take a huge advantage. My easy swim with HR in the 120-130 will be low to sub 50. For others to do that they would destroy the rest of their day. IMO Kona spots will be going to those that really don't deserve it. They should drop those slots in these cases. The swim is an important part of the race... It drives me insane seeing people getting excited for a potential cancellation because they aren't strong swimmers.
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [cmonster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmonster wrote:

I am a strong swimmer and cyclist. My run is average but if the swim is cancelled the runners now take a huge advantage. My easy swim with HR in the 120-130 will be low to sub 50. For others to do that they would destroy the rest of their day. IMO Kona spots will be going to those that really don't deserve it. They should drop those slots in these cases. The swim is an important part of the race... It drives me insane seeing people getting excited for a potential cancellation because they aren't strong swimmers.

There is no doubt that cancellation of any leg of a triathlon alters the performance distribution that would otherwise have occurred. That said, you race what the day brings you, and anyone who gets a KQ under the conditions of the day absolutely deserves it. Under no circumstances should WTC drop the slots from a race to which they were already designated. Even last year when Tahoe was canx outright they awarded the slots in a lottery to those who were registered (or something like that). What kind of event would it be if WTC said "hey, the swim is canx, and we aren't giving out awards or Kona slots...go ahead and have a good time." Get real.

And I say that as someone who 1) really hopes the swim occurs, and 2) has never KQ'd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmonster wrote:
racehd wrote:
d00d wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:

That's a little strong wording. While I agree that having all 3 disciplines is more fair, at the same time, are you any more deserving of a slot is you as a sub par runner NEED the to have a 10 minute head start on the swim the qualify. Given the conditions at Kona, a poor runner will not perform well there in terms of placing.

It would be like USAT selecting a weak cyclist for Rio, when it's a very challenging and hilly course. Even if he was equal to the top runners, it wont; matter, he'll be off the back and out of the race.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmonster wrote:
racehd wrote:
d00d wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:

That's a terrible opinion and you should keep it to yourself. :)

I'm one of those average swimmers/decent runners...Prefer to keep the swim in, but even if it did get cancelled, slots should not/will not get dropped. It's still a long ass race.
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not opinion I'd keep to myself. It's a fact that a non-swimmer/good runner gains a significant and unfair advantage in a race that has 3 disciplines. It's not unfair based on superficial issues either. The race would be modified to not include something that will change the performance of the other 2. I know they wouldn't drop the spots but, those that take them knowing the swim was the deciding factor would always know it wasn't truly earned.
Quote Reply

Prev Next