Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [cmonster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmonster wrote:
It's not opinion I'd keep to myself. It's a fact that a non-swimmer/good runner gains a significant and unfair advantage in a race that has 3 disciplines. It's not unfair based on superficial issues either. The race would be modified to not include something that will change the performance of the other 2. I know they wouldn't drop the spots but, those that take them knowing the swim was the deciding factor would always know it wasn't truly earned.

Think you're reaching a bit. The truth is good runners have a significant advantage in IMs whether the swim is there or not. Eliminating the swim may increase that advantage a little bit...but not materially, in my opinion. They'd more than likely run you down anyway. Rinny being quite a good example of this.

Life ain't fair. Learn to run faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmonster wrote:
racehd wrote:
d00d wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:
Still have over 2 weeks to go.

My long range forecast has several evening in the 50's and 3 chances for rain. You also need to look at the weather upstream across the region.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. My athlete is a stronger swim/bike than runner. The strong runners that are poor swimmers will gain 4-7 minutes on him if the swim is cancelled. If the swim had been cancelled at my IM last year, I would have lost 2-3 places I think.

Everyone says how unimportant the swim is, but that's not true, when some very fast runners are poor swimmers. It equalizes the run for "all-arounders". It's hard to go sub 9 or sub 4 hours in 70.3 is you swim a 1:10 or 38:00 respectively. That's a lot of time to make up on the bike/run. I predict Sanders will miss wining Kona almost exactly by the margin of his swim time to the lead pack.... or he'll blow up trying to close the gap.

I don't know how I feel about this. I am a decent swimmer, above average cyclist, and good runner. It would definitely be to my advantage to cancel the swim. That being said, and I know a lot of ppl that did the shortened IMFL that feel the same way, I'd never feel like it was an IM.

The swim isn't my forte, but I'll cross my fingers that we do get to race all 3 events.

Swim is the weakest of the three disciplines, but if the swim gets cancelled I'm going to be very conflicted. I've been wanting to do an ironman for 10 years and never got serious about it until 20 months ago. Next year I'm already committing to switch from tri to time trials. I enjoy triathlons, but 11ish years of running my knees are wanting a break. All of that is to say, it is in my best interest for the swim to get cancelled from a finishing standpoint but I don't want it to. I want to accomplish the goal I set out for 10 years ago and I'd hate to be given a free pass on my weakest leg. If it was cancelled I'd seriously consider taking it very easy on race day and then in a ~2 weeks do one on my own in practice.

I am a strong swimmer and cyclist. My run is average but if the swim is cancelled the runners now take a huge advantage. My easy swim with HR in the 120-130 will be low to sub 50. For others to do that they would destroy the rest of their day. IMO Kona spots will be going to those that really don't deserve it. They should drop those slots in these cases. The swim is an important part of the race... It drives me insane seeing people getting excited for a potential cancellation because they aren't strong swimmers.

I am a blah swimmer, strong cyclist, decent runner. No swim would definitely improve my chances at a KQ, and if that's the case come race day I wouldn't complain. Saying they should drop those slots is pretty extreme. Unless they gave me a free transfer to another IM, I'd be pissed if they took the slots away. What do you propose they do with the slots?? You've got to adapt to the conditions given on the day. That said, I still hope we swim. I've mentally and physically prepared for swim, bike and run, and if we don't swim, I sure wasted a lot of time flopping around in the pool this year when I could have been on my bike!
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [Tcorr44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not much they can to change it. The outcry would be far greater if they drop the spots. I run just fine in the mid 3 hr range off a 5 hr or less bike. Now without a swim I'll get a few bike minutes but, that's it but, the advantage of 50 or high 40's swim is out the window. There's plenty of athletes in that run/bike range but, only a few in that swim range. Now there are people in Kona who have to swim. Waters it down a bit...no pun intended.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rod or Christian or whatever, if you KQ you'll take the slot and you'll have earned it. If you miss out and feel that you're slighted because the swim is your strong point, well then that's the hand you're given that day. There could be a lightening storm that morning that cancels the swim just as easily. One year in racine they delayed the start due to fog and I'm about 110% sure the swim got cut very short (we didn't go very far out). Things happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmonster wrote:
Not much they can to change it. The outcry would be far greater if they drop the spots. I run just fine in the mid 3 hr range off a 5 hr or less bike. Now without a swim I'll get a few bike minutes but, that's it but, the advantage of 50 or high 40's swim is out the window. There's plenty of athletes in that run/bike range but, only a few in that swim range. Now there are people in Kona who have to swim. Waters it down a bit...no pun intended.

So if the swim is cancelled and you KQ in Lou will you decline the spot because you didn't earn it?
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [zachboring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't believe this is even a discussion about KQ spots if they cancel any part Sbr that sucks but to totally ruin the point of the race for some is crazy. it is hard enough for anyone and everyone to get kona spot that each race should have them Regardless of what is done that day. Unless like the other post said they allow us to transfer out to one with slots in and better yet put all 100 in a race 😀
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [kell0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At least one race organizer is confident that the algae will be gone by mid-Oct.

Due to the health threat currently posed by algae blooms on the Ohio River, organizers have rescheduled the eighth annual Great Ohio River Swim from Sept. 27 to Saturday, Oct. 10....

From the race website:
"Swimmer safety is our top priority. We have been in close contact with ORSANCO and the Cincinnati Health Department, monitoring the algae on the river. Ironically, the current algae bloom test results, while fluctuating, have remained below the established threshold for "recreational contact". Even so, the Cincinnati Health Department has issued a health alert warning adults and children not to swim in the Ohio River until cooler temperatures and increased river flow eliminate the threat. Again, we cannot predict if that health alert will continue to September 27. Our primary interest is making sure the swim is safe, fun and a memorable experience and we are absolutely sure that it will be on October 10, 2015!"
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's good to hear. I've been trying to monitor for updates on this ever since I saw the news a week ago. Hoping for some cool down and possible rain to help matters along.
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [SoCalAA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Getting some decent rain right now in Louisville (and areas upriver as well), through the night and more coming this weekend. Feels a little cooler but air temps won't get into the 50s until mid next week I'd say. Hopefully this rain helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [jmk1538] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
100% chance the swim will not be cancelled

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [bmeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yogi couldn't have said it any better.
What time will you try to que up for swim ?
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [rmg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rmg wrote:

What time will you try to que up for swim ?

I believe some have already started.

All joking aside, I want to be towards the frontish, for no other reason other than I want to start my race close to when the gun goes off.

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [rsmoylan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Come on!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [bamatriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bamatriguy wrote:
Come on!!!!!

Is that a "Come on", that you are excited for the race?, or was it something I said?

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excited sorry!!! Come on swim let's roll it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This year may be more important than ever to be frontish (It's a new word!). Until now, age groupers started at 7:05 or 7:10 (I can't remember which). In the athlete guide, it says that this year age-groupers will start at 7:30. But we still only have until midnight to finish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any idea about the water temp?

Chris Harris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There aren't any local alternatives that they could use without the mother of all logistical messes.

In southern Indiana, there's Deam Lake. The problem is, if they switched the swim to there, how would you modify the bike route? And you'd have legal issues of getting permits in the respective areas.

Yesterday, I was at an open-water swim event, previously scheduled for the Ohio River, that was moved to the Falling Rock Park in LaGrange. That was a fun swim and I enjoyed getting 2.4 miles in. But they CAN'T move the IM swim there: that place is too small to handle the high volume of athletes; there is not enough room for a transition area; and the road in the parking area is absolutely horrible and would tear up bikes.

Not terribly far away is Taylorsville Lake. That might be big enough, but--even then--that would require HUGE changes to the bike route in a very short time window.

Hopefully, the algae clears out in 2 weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [fe_dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As of right now, water temp is just south of 76F. We're now in wetsuit-legal territory.
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [kell0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.theintelligencer.net/...etail/id/643255.html

wheeling is a fair ways upriver, but it's a start. with cooler weather in the forecast too, I'm moving into the "not worrying about it" camp
Quote Reply
Re: Algal bloom in Ohio. Louisville swim [MTranquilli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Again I bet we are swimming it is raining all the time there now and all along the river. Unless rain is bad for it. :) Also temps are looking to drop some more that should help some as well.

Any updates on wetsuit numbers?

I bet for the bike we will need arm warmers maybe gloves at this rate.
Last edited by: bamatriguy: Sep 30, 15 4:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is the latest. Local news report from yesterday...

http://www.wdrb.com/...-algae-in-ohio-river
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By "wetsuit numbers", did you mean current water temps and the likelihood of a wetsuit swim? Last I heard, the water was already wetsuit legal. Historically, the water temps drop nearly a degree a day. I expect it'll be 65-68 on race day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the update and video. We need to get some local triathletes down there to clear up that stagnant water that they are using to milk this story. I mean really the water right next to it is totally fine but the water stuck in the dock area is not moving.

Do we think they will delay it and move it like maryland?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They will not delay or move this race. If anything they will just cancel the swim. IMO that won't happen either. We will be fine, and be racing the full 140.6 in 11 days.

Team Zoot
Quote Reply

Prev Next