Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ren Fair? Did you wear chainmail and joust?

Is that a proposition? ;)

Nope, no dressing up. Although runners legs are always nice
in a kilt.

-Jot

Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And I got laid off so no job after 3/26. Its been a killer week.

That's major suckage. Sorry to hear it.

-Jot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know how misery love company Jen, so I caught a nasty chest cold in sympathy for you. Haven't run since Tuesday and it will be a few more days at least before I start again. Too bad ... I would have ended up round 95-100, but I will be lucky top hit 90 now. At least it kept me motivated to run and I am now only 3-4 pounds above race weight (prebloat)

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [gamebofh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good news about the layoff is that I can easily do double run days once my knee heals up :-)

Feel better, CC.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good news about the layoff is that I can easily do double run days once my knee heals up :-)

Yeah, I remember looking at that bright side too. Still sucked. :(

I did get into pretty good shape too. Quality time with the family.

-Jot

Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [gamebofh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to read about your troubles Jen.

I was on track to get 80/100 this time around, but I'm dropping a few runs from my already pathetic schedule in an effort to rest up for a 10km race next weekend. I did well, for me, at this event last year but I'm not working nearly as hard this year. At least the challenge has added motivation to help maintain a little bit of fitness; thanks Dev. By next weekend I think I can still use the blood donation from a few days ago as an excuse too. :) Still, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for a decent run.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [Micawber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ran 5.25 miles today or 5 . Cant keep track on the track around and around and around and around....... you get the idea. Left legs shin and calf muscle were stiff to start and a bit sore but loosened up around mile 2 and the next 3 miles were at around 75-80 percent. Got a little dizzy from naproxin doc put me on but not to bad. Kept trying to place feet around the worms as its been raining fro 3 days now and on my run it was too. trying to stay on the trackas surface is a lot better for me till I am fully healed. Doc say's I can run everyday but my leg is telling me diffferent. So every other day it is for now. I am biking and swimmong a bit more so thats good. Captain Canada check out my post with the race wheels on pretty sweet ehhhhhh.......:)

Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Run number 90 was the Catalina Marathon - painful and beautiful. Run numbers 91 and 92 were pretty much just fast shuffles, but it felt good to get the blood flowing and I'm glad I did them, probably wouldn't have if it wasn't for this challenge.

Here's a race report, if you're into that sort of thing - http://dirtyrunning.blogspot.com/...eport-dont-read.html, and a picture at the finish -

Dax
http://dirtyrunning.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So sorry to hear about both the job layoff and the twisted knee. Hopefully your knee comes around soon.

As a bare minimum, it will give you a ton of time to invest in your professional network.

WRT to job searching it is a sales process, but unlike regular sales, where you put a ton of opps at the top of the funnel, you don't need many to drop out the bottom...you need JUST ONE.

As a marketing person, you already know how to package up, position, and promote a product and no better product than yourself, cause you know all the product strengths and can show the customer how to fit the square peg in the round hole and pay waaaaay more than the customer really planned to pay :-)

Back to the 100/100, I'm at 742K with 8 days to go, just need 58K....6x10K gets me to my 800K goal. This year worked really well....never felt like I was slave to running and got all my other sports done and fit running in around it...that's actually the beauty of runnning. You can allocate large blocks of time to the other sports and get the run fitness done in between. Mid Jan1 10K baseline was 38.02....mid Mar 10K baseline was 37.56. So it appears that as a bare minimum, I have not lost anything and have a solid base to move forward from....6 weeks to Wildflower, 13 weeks to IM France....yikes...my swim "mileage" for the year is still under 6000 meters!

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [Micawber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3-6 weeks to recover from donating blood. As an endurance athlete, I have given up on giving blood. I have to do my charity work in other ways. It's just too draining to give blood and maintain health in the presence of endurance training.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone. I'll find something, I just hope it is something I love.

Still recovering the knee. Back in the saddle again tomorrow. I'm putting on weight and getting lazy between the cold and my knee. Time to HTFU a bit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a century ride about 30 minutes after giving blood. Then swam in a riptide :) but thats me I never overdo anything HAHA. Took another day off from running . I rode and swam instead and might do the same tommorow. Definetly biking new parts woo hoo.

Quote | Reply
No doubt you'll find something. Whether you love it or not is another story. I told my boss that these are things that keep me working at any given place:
  1. I like the people I work with (immediate team)
  2. I learn from the people I work with
  3. What I am working on is meaningful and innnovative and hopefully adds to people's quality of life
  4. My work helps people that I work with stay employed. If I perform, more people get to take paycheques to their families (including my own)

I don't need to love what I am doing for the above to occur. I think only a very small percentage of people get to work in areas where they have a true passion. I can't say that I am passionate about helping people surf faster wirelessly or helping a pilot indentify an enemy target under cloud cover, but in both cases, it adds to the value of my end customer's user experience, and I can draw satisfaction from that :-)

OK down to the last few days. 755K done, with 45K to go. 4x60 min runs gets me over 800K. The flying out to Tel Aviv tomorrow nite, so the last three runs should be interesting as I'll see a different part of the world.

Thanks to everyone for participating. Hopefully your legs are feeling awesome!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm now caught back up. Only need 5 runs in the next 5 days!

-Jot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been slacking but am feeling great about it. I decided not to be compulsive about running on my ski trip last week. Did not run for 4 straight days which I think is my longest layoff in several years. Plenty of exercise just no running. Even skipped yesterday for no particular reason at all. Excited to ride outside in the nice weather this weekend, who knows maybe I won't even run.

Not really sure where I am in the challenge as I have not looked in a bit. Imagine that I will have at least 90 runs. As it is only 2 months to AZ it is time to crank up the bike mileage and hope for the best. As usual the challenge was good as it got me to run a little more than I otherwise would have. Might have even helped me break 18 for the first time ever a while back, sure did not hurt.

The salt and vinegar chips are on me in June :-)
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [Chris G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am currently at 66 runs, and should hit 70. I used the challenge to keep me from slacking off too much on runnning. Wildflower is 6 weeks aways and IM France is 13 weeks away, so I needed to get in bike shape earlier than normal (I have over 2000km with 1900 of that indoors) this winter. I did two 10K races over the challenge and found out that I really lost nor gained any run fitness since Clearwater. That's not such a bad thing. I guess contrary to other years, where I wanted to gain run fitness/base, this time around, I just tried to use the challenge to not lose much run fitness. So far, I feel it is on track.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I made it without overstretching myself .. which I'm pleased about. No major injuries to speak of and feeling as good at the end (and more virtuous) as I did at the beginning. And (slightly to my surprise) when I hit the 100 runs, I didn't feel inclined to breathe a deep sigh of relief and pu my feet up. My weekly mileage is now up to around 60k/week (when I'm not taking days off to ski) which seems to be more than enough for me to see weekly improvements ...

So I've decided to buy myself a bike - I figure something second-hand, not too fancy and with a proper fitting for my first bike ... and I can look forward to having the whole summer to learn how to ride it, and swap a few runs for rides.

Thanks Paul for creating a challenge that has convinced me to keep this up (because in the process I discovered that I think I can!)

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another thanks for having this challenge. Should reach my goal in few days. Also going to Tel Aviv, on Sunday night, so will have a run or two there too. Have a safe trip.
Next year I hope to see some guys back such as JoeE and Tigerchick (with hard w/o's but not back to back to back to back.....).
Good luck to everyone with your races and season in general.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did a local 5k flat as a pancake. Leg felt okay first mile . First mile was 6 minutes 22 seconds as per mile yeller on course. After that the leg started hurting pretty bad. I thought I was on course to break 20 minutes:( Warming up I could feel it a little but not to bad. Yesterday it felt great but I did not run on it. I think I beat my time last year there. But my 5k time was faster in october on a hiller winy course. My thoughts last 4 weeks of babing my leg only running a average of probably 15 miles in those weeks.Also the extra 5 lbs I put on. Did a unrespecable 21 and change today. Good thing is I felt I could have kept that pace up hurt like that and also the leg felt fine the day before. Which means soon I should be able to get back running more. I have ice on it now and yes I was stupid enough to keep on running to get required run in. Seven weeks till 1/2 mary so hopefully it heals fully. Think I have four runs t o hit a 100

Last edited by: bmanners: Mar 20, 10 9:03
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just completed my 100th. A nice easy 12km run along the bike path. Legs were still little tired after last night's century ride on the trainer.
It's now time to ramp up the intensity in preparation for a B race half-marathon in 9 weeks.

Quote | Reply
Hey good job. Thanks for participating. Ran 10 miles in Herzlia Israel this morning with 3/4 of it along the beach. After a while though running on the constant cant even though pretty hard packed got to me, so I had to hit the pavement and returned later for a 10 min cool down swim in the Mediterranean. Even for a skinny guy like me, the water was warm enough to not go hypothermic. This place is beautiful. 25C and sunny today. Nice to run in shorts. Only did that once in Ottawa during the challenge.

Also weighed in at 142.5 today in the hotel gym. Funny how at this time last week I was up at 148....but half of that was water that I was retaining after a massive week of racing and training. A few more pounds to go to get down to race weight for Wildflower.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am sitting at 95 with 3days to go... I was originally not going to go for 100 but I am too close to not :-)
I have one run on tap for today and then will double up tuesday and wednesday on running to and from work.
It is interesting I have really been trying to have more balanced winter in terms of training and I don't think my running has suffered to much (over the shorter distances). Much easier to do when you don't have a spring marathon to train for!
I actually ran (and biked in shorts) on Friday which was awesome for March 19th in Ottawa!
Ewan

Ewan

-------------------------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Entering the last three days, I should arrive in the low 80s for frequency. Overall distance has been piling on steadily, and now that the season is rolling my overall aerobic points are rapidly building. I was hoping to log frequency in the low 90s, but the two weeks of goose eggs in early January kind of derailed that. Looking back, it definitely hurt my numbers, but not my condition. Blood in the urine is a hard thing to ignore - especially when running seems to be the trigger.

My biggest observation from the challenge is not the magnitude of the numbers, but rather the physical consequences of those numbers. Over the past few seasons, running was the one thing that I never organized - I just did it when I had time, and I did it as hard as I felt necessary. The end result was a pair of legs that were fast, but frequently battered (and rarely in condition for back-to-back days). In the last week alone, I have logged four runs that were comparable to (or harder than) my go-to training runs of last year. The runs that chewed my legs up every 2-3 days last year are now part of a day-to-day routine. Soreness still happens, but the intensity and duration are almost negligible compared to what I would previously endure.

Since the start back in December, I've maintained that the run on day 101 is infinitely more important to me than any of the individual runs leading up to it. The season is long, and the challenge only ends by name on Wednesday. Near the end of this week, I'll be closing in on 500 miles for the year. I may just hop onto the 2010 in 2010 train and see where it goes. Already looking forward to next year's challenge. Congrats to everyone that finished, and especially to those that finished stronger than they started.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very jealous about the run along the beach.

Quote | Reply
I had big plans, but alas, I have logged a measley 17 runs. I've done a few more than that, but they've been under the 30 minute time minimum. I've been battling a case of plantar fasciitis over the last six months that has really cut into my running time. I had hoped to get at least 75 runs but I fell way short of that. PF sucks.
Quote Reply

Prev Next