Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, I agree 100% about not being able to run as hard solo vs having other people around. Aside from the "pacing" aspect of competition, let's not forget that even at 15 kph (4 min per K), there is a huge drafting effect because we're not all tucked in and aero like on a bike. We're running "straight up" like parachutes catching wind, so there is an impact on your solo times vs in a group. I know I suffered from that in my race this weekend. I ran the entire 5K solo as I was ahead of some runners my speed after the XC ski section and the two guys who passed me went by like I was standing still (well, I guess I was at 20:14 pace when they were running sub 19 pace). That being said, depending on what races you plan to do, it's not uncommon for me to end up doing large sections of tri run courses completely solo with no one in the vicinity going my pace.

I also agree with you on this . I was in a sprint tri where i was in the first wave and came out of the water 3rd. Only saw another on the bike for about a minute until I passed him then on the run never saw another person till I was finished. In fact they had a buffet set up and the first finisher and I actually sat down and had breakfast b4 the next came in or so it seemed :) I think had i been able to legally draft by running next to or have someone closer to me to egg me on I could have gone under 20 that day. Bike was a bit slow but it was rainy and wet and I was not going to take to many chance's that were not necesary. Should have brought my training bike then I would have. Any way there are the results of that race below. I fully get what you are saying and will do some solo's. Left shin hurt today because of slip on ice and lower back hurt a bit from shoveling I think. Did 7.25 miles today and most of them miles were at a 6 minute 35 second pace. At least 5.25 of them were.Total time 49 minutes 30 seconds of running. First mile was at a 7min. 32 sec pace. there are the results I talked about right below was good enough for 1 in AG . But I must say some of the faster cats did not show because of weather and that is only reason I took 1 in AG. But hey........ I will take anyway I can. Notice t1 it sucked could not get wet suit off then slipped and fell when I got bike shoes on LOL think I will practice leaving the shoes in pedal thing. had to cost me 45secs. at least.

Hightstown Sprint Triathlon
7 80 BRIAN MANNERS 40 M ROBBINSVIL NJ 14 7:52 1.9 1:50 7 34:51 20.7 1:01 11 21:09 6:50

Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Run number 60 today! I made it a good one, a nice 2 hour trail run with my dog after an hour in the pool. It actually felt quite good, and I ran relaxed and slightly uptempo (about a minute/km slower than my halfmary pace). I actually negative splitted by about 3 minutes after turning around at 60minutes, so I had to run around the parking lot a couple of times to make an even 2 hours ;)

My legs feel like jelly now, probably because I am biking so much. Last week was my biggest cycling week since Ultraman Canada.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could probably do 10k a day now. If I'd done that at the beginning I'd be injured.

Fortunately, Ragnar doesn't require 10k a day. Something like 35k over 2 days. :)

If I did "badger miles" my distance would be up. I'm slow, but even I don't
normally put out 13:00+ minute miles. But when I running uphill on trails
for 2+ miles that is not unusual.

For instance, Monday was 10 minutes easy (up hill trail). Then 6x1:00 hard uphill
with 1:00 rest. Then easy run down. (I had auto-pause on the garmin to
make sure I only got running time)

2.4 miles in 32 minutes is slow, but darn those intervals are hard.

-Jot
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [gamebofh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Going out now to get my recovery in. 3 miles in the snow . It is coming down pretty hard. Did 7.25 miles at 5 a.m this morning. Do not know if gym will be open tommorow morning or that there will be enough time to go to HQ to hit the treadmill there. They have a Snow emergency issued for Trenton. Funny anywhere above Buffalo it would be like a flurry :)

Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7.65 mile run with 3 mile at marathon/ half marathon pace 21:30. First half at 11 minutes second half 10:30 then 4x90 seconds hill reps. Got a ride and a swim in the afternoon.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [Scot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My usual Tues. night trail run was cancelled so I was stuck on the tready. Tortured myself with a hill run simulation, upping the incline by .5% every half mile, switched to every .25 miles in the middle then worked my way back down. Got up to 5% for half a mile. Fark that hurts! I slowed down my pace but not by much, just enough to keep me from barfing.

I needed tonight's run, big time. I've been dragging ass for a week and this really helped me get back on track. Energy is much better, legs have some oomph back. Eating better seems to work. Tongue

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did my run last night. It was very nice looking with the huge oaks lining the streets covered with snow. Unfortunatly there used to be about 30 more lining my street that the county cut down. Got to the gym to put 6.31 miles in. Treadmill read 6.36 but my watch did not it read 6.31 miles. Anyway leg muscles are sore and need a break. Monday cannot come soon enough which is my planned rest day. Which by the way I am spending with my daughter skiing while the wife see's the "Bubble show" in NYC with the boy'z.

Quote | Reply
BManners,
If you are legs are sore,and tired why wait 5 more days to rest them and I am not so sure that skiing is a rest day for your legs. I know you will not listen to the old school guys like Dev, and me but take a day or two and just swim. You have plenty of miles and days in from the challenge and better to take 1-2 extra rest days and not turn it into 4-6 weeks of no running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started my own 100/100 on November the 1st (prompted by some interest on the TriTalk forums) and finished on Monday of this week.

My numbers:

100 runs.
9 rest days (2 so far this year).
9 doubles.
5848 minutes (run average time 58:30).
718 miles (run average distance 7.18 miles).
Longest run 21 miles.
Ave pace 8:08 minute/miles.
Weekly average 50.25 miles.
Longest week 76 miles (last week).
Shortest week 32 miles (week 1, every other week was above 40).

Marathon in April to take advantage.

http://recipher.co.uk/
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [Scot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dont think skiing with my daughhter is going to be that much of a workout. Going to be a long day of waiting in lines warming up , eating and talking mostly. I should have said they are a bit sore and tired. Once i get running and stretch them out they feel good. How old school are you? :) I do plan on taking a "rest" day before planned rest day. As I should only have a few miles to hit my target mileage for the week on sunday off monday then I have a "easy" week. Yes I know "Let cirumstance's dictate procedure's" If I was hurt I would lay off definetly. If I even feel as if I would pull something I would layoff immediatly. I do listen to you guy's. But I also feel that I need reinforce that running on tired legs feeling. Guess I kind of like that feeling and feed off it a bit. Dont know if it that makes sense ?

Quote | Reply
Ideally you want to schedule rest days from running BEFORE you think you need them, not after you're trashed and have no other choice...then the hole that you need to climb out of is deeper vs taking the rest days earlier. This is a case of "do as I say, not as I do..." actually the past two years, I've been pretty good wrt to backing off on running....

my rules:
  • no running the day after a half marathon,
  • no running the day after a half IM, ideally wait 2 days,
  • no running for 4 days after an IM, ideally wait 7 days, but a few times I've had no other exercise option,
  • no running the day after a long run (1:45 or more...although I have not run longer than that outside of an Ironman since Jul 2007),
  • no running the day after a day when total volume exceeds 2 hours the previous day

Its not really that tough to stick to this cause usually the day after any of the above I have no desire to run anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have to learn and know your own body. I am in my 41st year as a competitive runner and 28th as a triathlete. In my younger days I averaged over 5000 miles a year and went years without missing a day of running but would not attempt that as a 55 year old I second all of Dev's comments regarding rest. Judging by your post you have exceeded your mileage totals by significant amounts over the last two months. As a coach, I would rather see my athlete miss a day or two of training and having a lower mileage total one week than missing 4-6 weeks with an injury. A day or two will not alter your goals but 4-6 weeks will force you to start over. Your improvement will come by continuing to run from season to season. I know that my fastest days are behind me and know that seeing a sub 2:30 marathon again is in the rear view mirror but I still enjoy the process. If your legs are feeling sore it is a single. Monitor it only you know how you recover.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After last night's run, I felt compelled to post to this thread. I think my story is a bit different than most you'll see here.

For most of the people participating in this thread / challenge, running 30 minutes is no big deal. I guess that was the case for me a few years ago as well. Sprinkle in knee surgery, two demanding jobs, getting married, and having a baby ... and here I am. Over the last five years, I've gone from an active 170 pound guy loving tris to a 225 pound guy with little time and motivation.

Despite my absence from the sport for the past few years, I've kept coming to this site, reading the witty banter and continuing to learn. I yearned to come back and compete again ... even a sprint tri would be fun. But I got so far out of shape (unless you consider round a shape) that it didn't seem realistic. I saw this thread and initially shook my head in disbelief. It seemed like such an amazing goal ... something so far away from where I was.

As luck would have it, my in-laws ended up giving me a treadmill in early January. I brought it home, set it up, and decided 2010 was going to be my year to get back in shape. I set some goals and the bottom line is that I want to compete in a tri by the end of the year. I knew I needed to lose some weight by exercising and eating better. I hopped on the treadmill figuring I would get my first 30 minute run under my belt.

About eight minutes later that notion died. I was so out of shape that I couldn't even sustain a run (jog) for ten minutes. I'll be honest, it hurt physically and mentally. Not be to deterred, I continued, working out on the treadmill 5 or 6 days a week running as long as I could, walking for a few minutes, then running again. I pushed myself and quickly I built up enough strength and endurance to run a mile at 5mph (12 minute mile). I stretched that out to a mile and a half, then two. I was able to increase my pace for shorter distances - I did a mile at 6mph (10 minute mile). It was amazing to see the progress being made. Even so, I couldn't hit 30 minutes of continuous running. I'd run 10, 20, even 25 minutes, but then I'd have to walk. I'd pick up the run again, but I couldn't quite get to 30 minutes.

Last night, though, was the breakthrough. I ran for 30 straight minutes at 5mph -- a whopping 2.5 miles without interruption. I know this is no real mile stone. Heck, most of the people on this thread can knock out 2.5 miles in half that time, or less. But given where I started one month ago, it's pretty amazing ... at least to me. In that month, I lost 17 pounds and made tremendous progress on the treadmill. My hope is that I can continue running this much, getting back in shape, and that sometime this summer or fall, I'll line up for a tri.

I'm posting this for two reasons. First, I want to thank the collective SlowTwitch community for the motivation. It's funny -- building up to 30 minutes became a challenge and reading the posts inspired me and pushed me. Second, I know there are others like me who have slipped over time. I want them to know that if I can do this, anyone can.

I know that even after a few years of training like this, I'll never set speed records. I might compete in a 70.3 event, but I doubt I'll ever be able to do a full IronMan. I don't plan on winning any events. That's not the point. The point is I was able to get back on the road to doing something I love and I hope that other people with similar stories can do the same.

Thanks again ST - I'm already looking forward to the next 100 runs in 100 days challenge. By then, I think I'll be able to do it, or at least come a heck of a lot closer than I did this time around!

Brian
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [BrianT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian,
I just read an article in Triathlete a few months ago that said for those trying to add fitness to their running they could walk on the treadmill at a comfortable pace 3-4 mph at 12-15%percent grade. This incline will help you work the same muscle groups and give you a break from running. I used this on one of my larger triathletes that I coach and he saw improvements to his running but adding in addition to his runs by replacing one run with the treadmill climbs. The grade of incline is important though. Keep up the good work.
Last edited by: Scot: Feb 11, 10 8:03
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [BrianT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing this - it is very inspiring.

Dax
http://dirtyrunning.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fuckin aaaay Brian, don't ever underestimate what you can accomplish. Keep going bro, thanks for posting that, very cool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DUDE!!!! Brian my namesake I was in the same boat you were 4 years ago laying on a couch with 3 kids watching IMH on tv and saw some 70 something woman doing her umpteenth IM. I was like holy shit here I am this fat fuck sittting eating chips on a couch and look at her. Well went to a X-mas party that nite and said hey Nick lets do a tri. Got some other guys to sign on also with us and BAM!!! We are training. After some training we did a did a 5k together in March and was lucky to break 28 minutes. Now if I do a 28 minute run for training I hit 4 miles pretty easy. One thing I found out that helps is don't brag but tell everyone you know I am training for this 5k or this sprint tri. Thats all the motivation I needed to keep from embarrising myself. Think also about playing with the kiddies when your older also. Do it for them, soon you will become addicted to it and you will be back in the best shape of your life. Funny thing is I am sure in a year or to yu will be faster then me. Godspeed my friend and good luck.

To the rest of you out there just got back from 4 hours of shoveling snow so I was in no mood to run outside as beautiful as it was. S I went to gym and cranked out 11.60 miles in one hour 22 minutes and 50 seconds. I did not dbl up yesterday and legs and feet felt like going only reason I stopped was kidcare ended at 1:00. I did do some 360's in my car in the snow on the way there though :) A police car went by and the cops in the patrol car just shook their head :)

Quote | Reply
Interesting set of rules Dev, very methodical. My 24 week plan leading up to IMLP has very few days off ... but I am committed to adding them as needed without guilt or remorse (without blowing off "key workouts"). Tuesday I did my first 2 hour run of the season and yesterday my legs felt tired. I had an hour on the bike and a 45 minute recovery run scheduled. I did not feel like it, but hopped on the trainer anyway. 15 minutes in and my rear tire exploded. Karma in action. By the time I dissassembled it and realized the tire was not salvagable my motivation had dissappeared along with my free time.

Woke up today and did a nice hour in the pool followed by a no-watch 10km trail run with a very happy dog andm y legs feel great. All this lesson cost me was a trainer tire and tube ;) Maybe I will add in an hour on the trainer tonight before bed.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do agree it's important to know your own body and to not push it past it's limits. As a 54 year old, I just logged my first 100 mile week ever last week. I will never attain the same level of running guys like you have achieved. I've only been running for 10 years and only fairly serious the past 3. As a result of my late start, I still feel my fastest days are ahead of me, and have been steadily improving. My "rest" is going out for a short slower run and my body seems to handle that just fine. I've done this after races, sometimes even later the same day. I have only raced up to a 15 mile race recently, but I've done a run the following day just fine. The past few years I've used this time of year to run fairly high volumes, then reduce and work on speed more as the racing season approaches. Plus, during the fall/winter period I only run. When biking season approaches I devote time there and don't run nearly as much.

Running doubles has seemed more difficult than I thought it would be. Previously I would just run about 75 miles/week on daily single runs of 9-12 miles. Now I've split those miles into two runs, but with less recovery time between each run it seems to wear me down quicker. I have been adjusting as I do it more, but my running speeds have decreased a little during the process - and I wasn't running real fast to start with. So sometimes a needed "rest" is going back to longer single runs for a few days. It just depends on what my body is telling me.

Don

Tri-ing to have fun. Anything else is just a bonus!
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [Tri2HaveFun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri2have Fun,
You are right that your best running days are ahead of you in comparision towhere you started. Just watch the mileage. At age 55 , I can't even think to do 100 mpw. That was for my 20's and 30's but as a triathlete,I only need 40mpw and get another 7-8 hours a week riding and swimming. As a trasithlete I am balanced and while I post fast times in the run I also have almost similar splits in the swim and bike.My favorite sport will always be running and although after 41 years of running and knowing that my fast days are in the rear vuew mirror it does not stop me from doing the mileage even if it is not as fast.
You are on the right track with the doubles becasue anything over 70 mpw requires some doubling of runs. I find that even for me during the challenge that I break some runs into doubles to get a couple extra miles running. I find that I recover a bit better with the doubles but I take a 50 minute run day and replace it with a 35- 40 minute run and a 30 minute run. The last few times I did that though I did tempo in the first run and ran it very easy on the second run.
Good Luck with the mileage and don't be afraid to take it easy at times. One of the reson for consistent mileage is it makes a missed day much easier to recover from.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thats how I am getting by this week with the double runs. The double ( Did not do 2nd run.) that you kind of sort of talked me into taking off day before last payed some great divedend's. Did a nice 11.60 mile run with a 7 min 4 sec mile pace which is strong for me. Was shoveling snow yesterday and gave myself a nice shiner on my eye. Don't ask how, I am a moron. Anyway got a nice slow slow run in last night. Concentrated on foot strike.
Damn tri2havefun 100 mile's YOU are one badass older then me dude :) Congrats figure I might try to work up to that in the fall. As for me I think this is my last 70 mile week. I am going to fall back on a couple 50 mile weeks then down to 40 where I can manage my bike and swim a bit more and some more core work. I have been half assing my core work and basically doing the same core stuff 4 times a week . Think I need to change it up a bit to trick my body into some more gains.

Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [Tri2HaveFun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm starting to notice that I'm not so old as I thought in the company posting here. At a mere 47 yrs old, I guess I'm in my 2nd proper year of regular running since I ran at school (aged 17-18). I've actually been building my frequency for the last 4 years from one erratic return commute per week 4 years ago when I got an RS200 for xmas (back one evening and out again the next morning so as to get a nights rest in between) to finally reach (as of the new year when I gave up my parking space at work) the full 5 days of return runs.

I didn't know that I was doing "doubles" until I saw the comments on here ... before it never even occurred to me that runners don't normally run more than once a day. Since I've always done doubles (it comes with the commuting), I don't really know how it feels to run only once per day, but I've found the increase from 4 doubles to 5 doubles per week pretty easy. Among those doubles, I've always fitted in at least one harder (tempo?) run per week, and since I finally started getting "serious" at the beginning of the year when I got an RS800CX for xmas, I've also been trying to get at least one longer easy run in.

I've noted the advice about not increasing mileage too much too quickly, and the paramounce (is that a word?) of avoiding injury .. but have not been as successful at avoiding injury as I thought I would be: once I ran into a chain strung across a path in the dark, another time I fell over a roadworks sign whose foot was protruding over the footpath, and last week (avoiding the same roadworks sign) I twisted my ankle in the roadworks themselves. These are not the kinds of injuries I was expecting to suffer! Fortunately the ankle has held up for some very light and shorter runs and is getting stronger - I've focussed hard on my form to avoid my biggest fear of a compensating injury due to modified gait to protect the ankle - and seem to have been successful which is a relief (my skiing next week can go ahead!)

With so little serious running history behind me, I'm also in the category of hoping that I have significant performance improvements ahead. I like that the increased volume has taken away the lethargic feeling I used to suffer the day after a hard run, and I now often feel even stronger the day after a hard run instead of so drained that I have to walk.

I'm thinking hard about my form (gait?) to maximize efficiency and minimize the risk of injury. I took a look at the Pose stuff and found that when I focus on trying to run that way, I run a little faster, but I havent become a Pose runner (even if I perhaps modified my running a little from the experience), I also tried out running with higher cadence (much eaiser when syncronized with music) and found that my natural cadence is just under 90, and that getting it above 90 is pretty easy, but I haven't modified my cadence - I just try to run a couple of times a week at an escalating cadence (to a suitable soundtrack) to get my body used to how it feels to vary the cadence. 5 doubles per week has made my newly established 60km per week feel "quite" easy, but I think paul's formula puts me as a 12km per week runner on a 3 year moving average ;-)

I have a few rest days ahead (5 days alpine skiing, fortunately not jeopardized by my twisted ankle) followed by a week's business travel so I'll slip back down the rankings a little over the next 2 weeks. But I think I saw Scot say that he didnt miss a SINGLE day's running in YEARS! So I'm just wondering how much I dare ease off (how many rest days I can afford) without jeapordizing too much fitness.

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Tri2have Fun,
You are right that your best running days are ahead of you in comparision towhere you started. Just watch the mileage. At age 55 , I can't even think to do 100 mpw. That was for my 20's and 30's but as a triathlete,I only need 40mpw and get another 7-8 hours a week riding and swimming. As a trasithlete I am balanced and while I post fast times in the run I also have almost similar splits in the swim and bike.My favorite sport will always be running and although after 41 years of running and knowing that my fast days are in the rear vuew mirror it does not stop me from doing the mileage even if it is not as fast.
You are on the right track with the doubles becasue anything over 70 mpw requires some doubling of runs. I find that even for me during the challenge that I break some runs into doubles to get a couple extra miles running. I find that I recover a bit better with the doubles but I take a 50 minute run day and replace it with a 35- 40 minute run and a 30 minute run. The last few times I did that though I did tempo in the first run and ran it very easy on the second run.
Good Luck with the mileage and don't be afraid to take it easy at times. One of the reson for consistent mileage is it makes a missed day much easier to recover from.

I found that worked when I did my first couple 70 mile weeks. For some reason (probably cause my legs mean body is tired.) the doubles seem a bit harder this week. Though i did fly today on second part of run first 3.1 miles in 20 minutes 19 seconds and 2nd, 3.1 miles in 19 minutes 21 seconds. Did 8 miles total total time was around 53 minutes. then did a 30 minute run before work at a slow pace. 3. something miles to hit 70 miles for week. Will take nice and slow and probably before dinner tommorow. Give the legs a bit xtra rest. just realized the 10k total was under 40 minute's and it was on tired legs unfortunatly on treadmill. Gee I feel like a gym class hereo :) that's not good.

Quote | Reply
In Lake Placid for a family weekend of skiing. Managed to get out for a 15K run today and actually avoided running on the IMLP run course. Did a few loops down Mama bear and up Cobble Hill Road. Nice hard hill loop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paul,
If you find a timex gps unit on whiteface it is mine :) have fun skiing with the family and stay safe and healthy. Do a daffy/backscratcher for me if you do any mogul runs.

Ninetoe great job hitting 100. I could not keep up with you. As i predicted earlier I am falling.......falling....... behind.

Prev Next