Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Zipp Firestrike 404 [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
I'm rich myself (in the context of being able to spend $5k of a bike, it is all relative) so I feel comfortable pointing out that many rich people who would make fun of a guy for spending big money on a bike have $300k in home loan debt, $80k in BMW debt, and are actually more financially unsound than the barista with the colnago.

Nailed it!

"the trick is to keep losing weight until your friends and family ask you if you've been sick. then you know you're within 10 pounds. if they start whispering to each other, wondering if you've got cancer or aids, you're within 5. when they actually do an intervention, you're at race weight." - Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: New Zipp Firestrike 404 [redtdi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zipp did drop their prices and offer a "reasonable" wheel in the zipp 30/60(old 404) for what ~half of what the firecrest is right?

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: New Zipp Firestrike 404 [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Too bad your original post turned into a financial responsibility clinic.

Some can, some can't, so what?

Ride what you want.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Re: New Zipp Firestrike 404 [Broken Leg Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha. That's the way Slowtwitch works. I have no issue spending $3600 on bike stuff. My preference would just be for a CX bike rather than new wheels. But I already have Flos and the incremental gains from replacing race wheels is just really hard to sell to the wife.

I do agree that even though the prices are astronomical for bicycle parts, cycling is still a cheap hobby compared to boating, golf, travel, SCUBA, skiing, etc. The cost per use for cycling is significantly lower than just about anything I can think of other than running. Shit, there's even a $5 drop in fee to use my local pool!

Between my wife and me, there's probably $20k worth of bikes in our garage. Is it any better that it's spread across 9 bikes for the two of us? Are we less of Fred's because we don't each have a Di2 P5 w/ Zipps? Who knows. Who cares. I like bikes and would rather have a bunch - Road, Tri, CX, Mtb, Commuter than one SUPER fancy one.

FWIW I often transport my bike in a car worth significantly less than the bike - either a 1990 Vanagon (purchased for $2 from a friend) or a 1991 Jeep ($2k from a family member).

But if some Zipp Firestrikes would improve my quality of life, I would probably buy some.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear ya. 8 bikes in our family. Gave up golf and the motorcycle years ago.

FLO 60/90 here. Between the wheels and my TitanFlex I was answering a lot of questions last week at the century ride I rode.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a SCUBA diver...I actually disagree with you. Once you buy regulators, tanks, and a bouyancy compensator, you really don't have to upgrade for many years. Regular servicing of your regs is about all you will spend. You don't really buy new fins, masks, or booties unless they break. SCUBA is MUCH cheaper than triathlon

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New Zipp Firestrike 404 [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on where you like to dive (guess it depends where you like to race too). Maldives, Great Barrier Reef. Thailand. Those flights make WTC entry fees seem cheap!

But I suppose you are right that the serviceable life of the equipment is longer. Makes sense to not cheap out on a sport where the primary objective is not to die. Not a lot of Chinese Aero Carbon Regulators?

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guys guys guys...can everyone please stop comparing Zipp against Flo. The fact that both companies sell carbon wheels, doesn't mean they are the same. The same reason why you wouldn't (and shouldn't) compare Walmart running shoes against your Newton's, is the same reason why you don't compare Zipp against Flo. Some people can't afford Newton's so they buy Walmart shoes. Some people can't afford Zipp's so they buy Flo's.

You can compare Zipp to Enve, Mavic, Lightweight and so on. Companies that have credentials and have revolutionized the industry before. Companies that really put the time and effort in research and development because at the end of the day that's why you pay a premium. And for the people unaware out there, all the companies mentioned before sell wheels for over 3k. So Zipp is not breaking new grounds here.

And the fact that you can or can't afford expensive wheels, doesn't mean you should be in the front or the back of the pack. I buy wheels for the experience. I've ridden many different brands and whatever gives me the best experience when I ride in the conditions I ride, that's what I'm going to go after. Zipp happens to deliver that.
Quote Reply
Re: New Zipp Firestrike 404 [Jalp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jalp wrote:
Guys guys guys...can everyone please stop comparing Zipp against Flo.

Nope

Quote:
The fact that both companies sell carbon wheels, doesn't mean they are the same.

Of course they are not the same. If they were the same, comparing them would be a pointless activity.

Quote:
The same reason why you wouldn't (and shouldn't) compare Walmart running shoes against your Newton's

why wouldn't I do that?

Quote:
Some people can't afford Newton's so they buy Walmart shoes. Some people can't afford Zipp's so they buy Flo's.

Some people want a metal brake track so they buy Flo's. Some people may fit the Walmart shoe better.

Quote:
Companies that have credentials and have revolutionized the industry before. Companies that really put the time and effort in research and development

Flo - revolutionized the industry - check
Flo - put time and effort into research and development - check

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! Your comment had no purpose what so ever.

"Flo - revolutionized the industry - check"

Really? What was their revolution? For all I know their wheels have nothing unique.

Let me brake it down to you: Carbon rims, solid discs, dimples, wider profiles, carbon brake tracks, improve braking performance in carbon clinchers, etc..

Now that is revolution!

Oh wait...you can get Flo decals in every color available in the color spectrum. That is a breaking news right there!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You must be a special kind of moron. Flo did revolutionize the industry because they brought race wheels to many people who may never have been able to buy them. They designed their own shape, went to the wind tunnel, and grew their company from the ground up. If you would have spent more than 5 minutes on their website, you could have understood this. Instead, Jackmott, myself, and many others will have to come on here and educate you.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jalp wrote:
"Flo - revolutionized the industry - check"

Really? What was their revolution? For all I know their wheels have nothing unique.

Top notch aerodynamics for a vastly lower price than has ever been available before.

In fact their wheels offer better performance than some of the brands you mentioned.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder if they'll ever get UCI certified. That's one drawback I have to look for in wheels with ITU draft legal stuff following UCI wheel rules. Of course that is 1% of the races, but that's the one drawback to any wheel for me (includes the zipp 60 and zipp 30 as well).

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
You can compare Zipp to Enve, Mavic, Lightweight and so on

You should be able to compare any wheelset again the Zipps even Flo or any Chinese aero wheelsets. They all perform a specific goal in improving aerodynamics so they are all put on the same page for comparison.

Last edited by: BMANX: Jun 26, 14 11:52
Quote Reply
Re: New Zipp Firestrike 404 [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really?!!!

Well there must be two morons here because Flo was not the first company to sell cheap carbon wheels. Many others were doing that for years before Flo. So guess what moron, that is not a revolution. They just offer more color options and that's why people like yourself go to them to buy wheels, so you can match your pink and yellow bike with pink and yellow wheels and look like a power ranger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
For all I know their wheels have nothing unique.
Well, I think that settles the issue right there......

There are any number of ways to be innovative. It doesn't always have to be ground-breaking product.

The fact remains that Flo developed an innovative business model that delivers top-notch aerodynamics at a fraction of the price previously available. You can say what you want about their wheels, but that does qualify as "innovation."

You can argue that their wheels are largely that of a "fast follower" from a design perspective (and I wouldn't necessarily disagree). But being a "fast follower" is often a great (and even preferable) market strategy.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually...I haven't bought a set of them. I have a 2011 black/red/white Cervelo P2. My race kit is black/red/white and I definitely don't look like a power ranger. I called you a moron because you were spouting off typical fanboyism's without doing your research. They are offering a shape similar to FireCrest, wide rims, and a great value. Industry revolutions don't necessarily have to be new technology. Sounds like you need a dinner date with your Zipps. Dress nice, take them out to a nice dinner, and make sure you caress that fine carbon and get it in the mood for some riding. I hear if you whisper nice things to it, the wheels might go real fast

Quote Reply
Re: New Zipp Firestrike 404 [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why argue with this guy?

Here's his deal. He buys top of the line Zipps. Top dollar means top wheel.

Don't try to tell him about FLO. FLO is relatively inexpensive so it must be shit.

Don't compare the two. Zipp is expensive so it's better. That's the bottom line because Jalp said so.

ETA: FLOs don't have dimples, so they suck.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Last edited by: BLeP: Jun 26, 14 12:01
Quote Reply
Re: New Zipp Firestrike 404 [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In a niche market like the aero wheel market, a "fast follower" can quickly become a world leader in said niche market.

The company that I work for used to be a "fast follower" 25 years ago and after about 5 years we became the world leader in our market and have been able to stay there for 20 years.

Flo just needs to keep focusing on the future and not sit back and be complacent on what they have done so far.
Quote Reply
Re: New Zipp Firestrike 404 [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's the deal for all of you that are talking without having the ability to read. I say I ride wheels because of the experience I get. If my experience is better with whatever brand, so be it.

Oh...I forgot to mention that I'm sponsored by my LBS so I don't pay for anything. That includes wheels in any brand I want as long as they carry it. Guess what brand I choose to ride for free? Yep, you got it wrong because neither Zipp nor Flo is the one I ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jalp wrote:
Here's the deal for all of you that are talking without having the ability to read. I say I ride wheels because of the experience I get. If my experience is better with whatever brand, so be it.

Oh...I forgot to mention that I'm sponsored by my LBS so I don't pay for anything. That includes wheels in any brand I want as long as they carry it. Guess what brand I choose to ride for free? Yep, you got it wrong because neither Zipp nor Flo is the one I ride.

So they don't carry Zipps eh? Bummer.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Troll harder bro.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you must be a joy at parties.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jalp wrote:

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jalp wrote:
Really?!!!

Well there must be two morons here because Flo was not the first company to sell cheap carbon wheels.

Not as cheap as Flo, and until recently (post Flo) all of them had vastly worse aerodynamics.

Quote Reply

Prev Next