Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Zipp Firestrike 404 [FF Boots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FTW!

Quote | Reply
Could somebody explain this comment to me (I saw it online):

Quote:
The fact they only offer the external rim width is telling.
While I totally appreciate that the thick brake tracks on Firecrest Clinchers are a big part of why they’ve had no braking failures (a trade-off we surely all appreciate), the relatively small internal rim widths (in comparison to the external widths) means that tires sit much narrower on Zipp rims than they would on a competitors wheel.
We had Michelin Pro4 25′s on Zipp 303 disc and HED Jett 5′s at the shop, and I would say the difference was at least 10% in thickness, which equates to >30% in volume.
I suspect that if we could find a way to keep alloy brake tracks black (and quiet), we’d see the end of carbon clinchers.

Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
I would argue the increased braking power is worth it but these are brand new and we need to wait for reviews

Why?... why are you using your brakes so much in a TT?

Sorry for the tangent, but seriously, why are some people so wrapped up in how great the braking "feel" is? You either slow down, or your don't. The sensation of wheel lock-up and braking force and tire grip comes from you contact points on the pedals/shoes, then bars & seat. Trying to feel what the tire and road are doing through a brake lever is myth. It's nice to have a firm linear feel with the brakes, but it's not critical.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: New Zipp Firestrike 404 [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's about a 15gm savings at 5yaw and above 10yaw slower. For the very fastest riders maybe :01s/km faster. I bet an 808FC is faster up front.

Slower riders will benefit more from the FC vs this new Zipp since at >10yaw the FC is faster.

IMO not worth it. The FC now are looking like bargain wheels.

Props to Zipp for rolling out something new though.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: New Zipp Firestrike 404 [TheGupster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which part of it?

This guy seems to like larger volume tires so he can run lower pressures. So he'd like a wider bead hook width.

His assumption is that Zipp is using a thick brake track to manage heat produced by braking and this is the reason that the bead hook width isn't wider.

The comment about aluminum… Well it's much much cheaper and provides better braking. He's implying the reason people are driven to carbon clinchers is for aesthetics alone, not improved performance. So companies are doing a ton of engineering to try to match the braking performance of aluminum in carbon, and people are paying a ton of money for this engineering when it isn't necessary… except that people think it looks cool. If aluminum could be made to look as cool he suspects that people would jump at the lower cost.

At least I think that's what he's getting at. I can't say that I disagree with that last point.
Quote Reply
Re: New Zipp Firestrike 404 [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:

Sorry for the tangent, but seriously, why are some people so wrapped up in how great the braking "feel" is? You either slow down, or your don't. The sensation of wheel lock-up and braking force and tire grip comes from you contact points on the pedals/shoes, then bars & seat. Trying to feel what the tire and road are doing through a brake lever is myth. It's nice to have a firm linear feel with the brakes, but it's not critical.

Lots of people use 404s in road and crit racing. It's not a dedicated TT wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: New Zipp Firestrike 404 [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pooks wrote:
Which part of it?

This guy seems to like larger volume tires so he can run lower pressures. So he'd like a wider bead hook width.

His assumption is that Zipp is using a thick brake track to manage heat produced by braking and this is the reason that the bead hook width isn't wider.

The comment about aluminum… Well it's much much cheaper and provides better braking. He's implying the reason people are driven to carbon clinchers is for aesthetics alone, not improved performance. So companies are doing a ton of engineering to try to match the braking performance of aluminum in carbon, and people are paying a ton of money for this engineering when it isn't necessary… except that people think it looks cool. If aluminum could be made to look as cool he suspects that people would jump at the lower cost.

At least I think that's what he's getting at. I can't say that I disagree with that last point.

Thanks. I'm not that in tune with wheel stuff so I couldn't follow his logic.

Quote | Reply
asad137 wrote:
The logos are printed on so the dimples are not covered.

It's about time. I've always found it hilarious that Zipp touts their dimples, yet always covered up half the wheel with stickers.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fat stacks, 4 large...BITCH! - Jesse Pinkman on the new Zipp Firestrike 404s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:
So who is going to run out and buy them?

People with money to waste.
I'd rather sacrifice a few grams of drag (maybe?) and get a pair of Swiss Side Hadrons at the same weight and alu braking.

My buddy showed up on his new bike with Zipp 30 training wheels this past week.
Didn't want to be a dick and tell him that my FLO 30's were similar wheels for less than half the price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lets see, a pair of FLO 30's, FLO 60's, FLO 90's and FLO DISC all with Conti 4000s tires, latex tubes and cassettes with skewers and money left over.

OR

One set of Zipp Firestrike 404's
Last edited by: BMANX: Jun 20, 14 9:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why?.....why are you using 404s in a TT? FIFY
Quote Reply
Re: New Zipp Firestrike 404 [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you mean 0.15s/km per ROT or 6sec for 40k
Quote Reply
Re: New Zipp Firestrike 404 [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
Lets see, a pair of FLO 30's, FLO 60's, FLO 90's and FLO DISC all with Conti 4000s tires, latex tubes and cassettes with skewers and money left over.

OR

And one of those is available to order, while the other...

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: New Zipp Firestrike 404 [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
renorider wrote:
BMANX wrote:

OR

And one of those is available to order, while the other...

I have several FLO wheels. If you can't get them, you're not trying.
Quote Reply
Re: New Zipp Firestrike 404 [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pooks wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:

And lots of people train on their race wheels, as well.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
BryanD wrote:
I would argue the increased braking power is worth it but these are brand new and we need to wait for reviews

The 404 is a road racing wheel, not a TT wheel. I've only done one TT on 404's. I've done ALL of my road races for the last four years or so on various versions of the 404. Braking is important in road races. Especially on something like the descent on the back side of Mt. Hamilton.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i can't even begin to comprehend the pricing on these. any person i ever meet that shows me their FS 404s, not sponsored by Zipp, will forever be banished to my "idiots i don't want to associate with" list.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Re: New Zipp Firestrike 404 [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Pooks wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:

And lots of people train on their race wheels, as well.

Well, the ZIPP FC should come down in price now...hopefully.
Quote Reply
Re: New Zipp Firestrike 404 [afurlong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
afurlong wrote:
i can't even begin to comprehend the pricing on these. any person i ever meet that shows me their FS 404s, not sponsored by Zipp, will forever be banished to my "idiots i don't want to associate with" list.
those are the people you keep around because they often turn around and buy something else and sell their lightly used nice stuff cheap.
Quote Reply
Re: New Zipp Firestrike 404 [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe on the secondary market, but there was no mention of dropping the price of them new.
Quote Reply
Re: New Zipp Firestrike 404 [afurlong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Disclaimer: I don't own FS404s.

However, each person has their own reason for purchasing them. Some people drive fancy/high horse power cars not because they want to drive down the road faster than the car next to them. Some people purchase houses with more rooms than they will ever need. That doesn't make them idiots. Perhaps those who own FS404 are not the "idiots" that you think they are. They may be really smart and successful people who make a lot more money than you. Spending $3600 on a wheelset to them is like you purchasing a $50 Conti 4000s tire. There are folks out there who think that anyone who drops $1,000+ on a bike is an idiot.

afurlong wrote:

Quote | Reply
ridenfish39 wrote:
For $3600 I can throw staggered forged 19'' wheels on my mustang and have money left over to put towards tires. The bike industry is really losing touch with reality.
For $3600 one can get a really nice 10 year old Honda....

Why spend $3600 on this when we can spend about $900 to maybe $1200 (Flo and Williams) and get something that is just as fast?

Zipp brand was the shit when they were the only game in town, ergo they were able to charge these prices. Nowadays there's a staggering number of carbon wheel choices. Their marketing people have not figured this out, apparently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
any truth to the rumor they'll throw in a trucker hat?
Quote Reply
Re: New Zipp Firestrike 404 [tdhtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tdhtri wrote:
any truth to the rumor they'll throw in a trucker hat?
Only if you shill them on your twitter. If not, they buy the wheels back.
Quote Reply

Prev Next