Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [mahlergrooves2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Didn't see the FB pics before I posted. The FB ones are a lot better, actually. Though she still doesn't look as good as she did in those others.

That's because the Biggest Loser competition is an unhealthy plummet to the bottom. I've watched a few seasons (Tara's included) and found their weight loss to be extreme and unhealthy. I think it sends a positive message and highlights the dangers of obesity, but the competition itself is dangerous, they eat next to nothing and exercise four hours a day...granted, I'd do the same with the kind of prize they fight for but it's not healthy, which is part of the reason so many gain back most if not all of the weight back.

Tara is certainly not at her Biggest Loser slimmest...but she's also not obese, and she continues to inspire and raise awareness. To those who say she's undeserving of her slot and she's not even in as a charity slot etc: look at her FB photo's from the week, she wasn't just there tapering and enjoying Hawaii, she was doing appearances, meeting with kids, etc. I find her to be inspirational and a positive influence, and no matter what way you slice it going from super obese to an Ironman finisher is impressive.
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
Quote:
Didn't see the FB pics before I posted. The FB ones are a lot better, actually. Though she still doesn't look as good as she did in those others.

That's because the Biggest Loser competition is an unhealthy plummet to the bottom. I've watched a few seasons (Tara's included) and found their weight loss to be extreme and unhealthy. I think it sends a positive message and highlights the dangers of obesity, but the competition itself is dangerous, they eat next to nothing and exercise four hours a day...granted, I'd do the same with the kind of prize they fight for but it's not healthy, which is part of the reason so many gain back most if not all of the weight back.

Tara is certainly not at her Biggest Loser slimmest...but she's also not obese, and she continues to inspire and raise awareness. To those who say she's undeserving of her slot and she's not even in as a charity slot etc: look at her FB photo's from the week, she wasn't just there tapering and enjoying Hawaii, she was doing appearances, meeting with kids, etc. I find her to be inspirational and a positive influence, and no matter what way you slice it going from super obese to an Ironman finisher is impressive.

Well said.

----------------------------------------------------------
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
If at first you DO succeed, try to hide your astonishment!
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [ndrfnnut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here are her pics from Kona (site is slooowww right now). Personally, I think a sub-14 Kona finish for any previous Biggest Loser contestant is beyond incredible.

http://www.finisherpix.com/...ent=0042&bib=141
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw her last night and she looks good. Not as thin as at the finale of the show, not an uber-thin endurance athlete, but normal and healthy and happy.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [mahlergrooves2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mahlergrooves2 wrote:
Brownie28 wrote:
Quote:

Well said.

2x here...also its a business, they can do whatever they like with the slots---and people who go on and on about this should spend more time training and less time bitching, cuz bitching and whining won't get you to Kona
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [triLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An interview I did with Tara 2 days prior to the event. She totally respected the distance and the race itself. I will admit that before I met her I was dubious (to say the least), after I spent time with her it completely changed my opinion.

Tara Costa

I did speak with her on Sunday and she is planning to do Lake Placid. So...the Kona thing was not just a one time deal for publicity.
Warning...I do the intro so you have to listen to me drone on for about a min. :)

infinIT Nutrition
Custom Blended Nutrition Solutions
http://www.infinITNutrition.com

Last edited by: infinIT 1: Oct 11, 11 10:50
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [infinIT 1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm on a computer at work. No speakers. Did she say if she was going to have to pay the fee for Lake Placid?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
I'm on a computer at work. No speakers. Did she say if she was going to have to pay the fee for Lake Placid?

Not a question I even thought about asking, or really even cared about. She is out trying to promote her work with childhood obesity. My guess is that her foundation has enough money to pay for any event she wanted to do.

infinIT Nutrition

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She presents herself very well. She clearly appears to sincerely believe what she says: "I am an ordinary person who was given an extraordinary opportunity" and "I feel truly blessed."

Hard not to like her.

Obesity is rapidly killing this country and will drive us out of existence with healthcare costs and an aging, invalid population. If people are inspired by watching her, how could anyone object?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Last edited by: JSA: Oct 11, 11 11:10
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA that's exactly how I felt. I have made fun of the biggest looser athletes because they don't respect the sport I love. They are just there...well frankly I have no idea why they are there. Maybe just for a free trip to Hawaii.

Trust me I am a hard ass about this stuff. I don't post it here because of who I work for. We have worked with other Media entries, and they were a pain in the butt (excluding Tony Kanaan, he is awesome). But after I met her my mind was totally changed. She is different, hard as nails and totally deserving of crossing the finish line.

infinIT Nutrition

Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
I don't get it. We all work every hard for a slight chance at qualifying, we put stress on our families then you have someone who had a tough life get a spot just for a celebrity slot for TV. Its BS.
Let them qualify and have respect for the race distance.

Greg,

It's been this way for a long time. Nothing new here. The race is not the story, the stories are the story - that's what NBC wants. That's what get's eye-balls on the TV.

There is always this "up-in-arms" discussion. Triathlon is not a sport that the mainstream population knows anything about. But they might watch if they know it's a cancer surviving, single mother, military mom, with one leg, who lost 100 lbs and who was hit by a car a year ago and broke her back ( I made that all up, with obvious apologies) - that's a story. That will get, and keep them watching! Macca running up and down the Queen K in his underwear . . not so much! The WTC knows this. NBC knows this. I know this. Many others know this. But I know that many don't seem to get it.
The WTC is a private event management and marketing company. They can do whatever they like, that they feel is in the best interests of their business and their brand!

Took the words right out of my mouth Steve.

To add though, without these human interest features, triathlon shows would end up like the WNBA shows. Hold on, no let me re-think that. WNBA shows may be worse....

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you can always gain 150 lbs, go on the show and use your massive underlying fitness to shed it all in a few months. Then Kona here you go.....plus you might be rich(er).
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [Insidious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Insidious wrote:
you can always gain 150 lbs, go on the show and use your massive underlying fitness to shed it all in a few months. Then Kona here you go.....plus you might be rich(er).

This is what I believe some of those diet pills or fitness commercials do. They find some low paid athlete that is injured and pay them to put on some weight. Then once the injury heals they start training and can drop the weight quickly.

Of course on the show you are going to wasting lots of your time lifting weights.
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah but they can't stop you from going home at night and putting in 3-4 hours on the treadmill/trainer/pool ;)

Seriously though, its kind of a large health risk to assume just to get to Kona and make a few bucks. And once you get that fat your body is never going to be quite the same.
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
Quote:

That's the deal-with-the-devil aspect of this that bothers me. TBL takes a very serious problem and turns it into a freakshow: both the contestants who get on it, and the extremes they go through to win a stupid game. I am rooting for this young lady, like I would root for anyone, to take their health seriously and embrace a healthy life and weight level.

As for the bitching/moaning here, we have a special name for days where people on ST bitch and whine about Kona slots/qualifying and celebrities: Tuesday.
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [ElGordo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually sort of sounds like lightweight rowing to me......so not so bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [ElGordo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
As for the bitching/moaning here, we have a special name for days where people on ST bitch and whine about Kona slots/qualifying and celebrities: EVERYDAY.

Fixed that for you.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [moriatesg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
moriatesg wrote:
I don't get it. We all work every hard for a slight chance at qualifying, we put stress on our families then you have someone who had a tough life get a spot just for a celebrity slot for TV. Its BS.

Let them qualify and have respect for the race distance.

I say this both rhetorically/devils advocate

Who's fault is that?

I have done 3 IMs, doing my 4th at IMFL in a few weeks. Have zero vision/desire to ever qualifying for Kona. Never want to turn a passion into a very unhealthy obsession, that is too visible on ST, to risk at all costs, just to qualify for Kona.

That is what I don't get.

My biggest fear of every qualifying is taking that 10-12 hour flight from NYC, and being stuck in a seat next to a people that are over-the-top with this nonsense have to listen about gear ratios, and wattages, and running splits and 10 X100 on 30secs, etc the whole way ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She paid for Placid on her own. That I know for a fact. I am trying to convince her to do IMWI if Placid goes well. As a trade I was supposed to do Placid next year with her, but I do not have medical clearance yet to do so.

Owner of a few Speed Concepts since 2011.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would rather watch an interesting story like hers or lottery athlete with an interesting story than a pro who drops out because they are having a "bad" day. The only stories that sell are FOP and BOP. Everything else is just race fodder.
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [ttx_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, we were walking back to the condo with our bikes when we saw her come in. We were impressed with her time. I have to say it has got to be tough racing your first IM with a camera in your face for 14hrs! She looked very relaxed and happy when we saw her on Alii.

Like T says, "Remember it is all about the Bike because it is all about the Run!"
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [ttx_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ttx_tri wrote:
She paid for Placid on her own. That I know for a fact. I am trying to convince her to do IMWI if Placid goes well. As a trade I was supposed to do Placid next year with her, but I do not have medical clearance yet to do so.

Well I didnt see her name on the Participant List for Lake Placid 2012. Hmmm interesting.... Another race she'll get into by taking another spot.
Last edited by: OnTheFly21: Oct 11, 11 17:26
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [OnTheFly21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Another race she'll get into by taking another spot.

You really think they're going to kick someone out of the race to let her in? I've never understood why people get bent out of shape about someone else getting something they may not be deserving of. My mom always told me to worry about myself.

Thom

Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I know they aren't going to do that but how many others is going to get special treatment? The last time I checked we all had to sit at a computer and register at the allotted time for races we hope to get a spot. The races are already crowded to begin with. Oh well, I guess its another person to swim over! just kidding
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 2 children ages 9 and 7. I have been telling them for years, that NOBODY ever said life was going to be fair. When you have the money, you make the rules. That's how the game works..
Quote Reply

Prev Next