Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [dashmutton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dashmutton wrote:
SpicedRum wrote:
I have no problem with her getting the slot. But damn. She gained some weight back. If you really train for an IM and eat right you don't look like that. There are two things that make people healthy. Eating right (diet) and exercise. Just doing one is not really setting a good example. I think she could go faster.

Not to nitpick, but you need to ponder the phrase healthy. Being healthy is basically 95% genetics and 5% diet and exercise. It doesn't matter how fit or fast you are, you can have dangerously high blood pressure or heart troubles or defects or this or that. Conversely, if you have good genetics you can eat like crap and be outrageously fast.

Of course she could go faster. Her aerobic base consists of doing what it takes to lose some weight. But as is the entire topic of this thread, she's not RACING. She did the event because it's a bucket list thing.

Not to nitpick, but I strongly doubt that she did it to check something off of her bucket list. She has raced tri before, and likely NBC approached her to do Kona because they do the broadcast (and also the Biggest Loser) and knew that millions of unhealthy people in America think she is awesome and inspirational. In the weight loss world she is a huge celebrity and does lots of public speaking. If her doing Kona means that she inspires one overweight person to get off the couch and maybe try to do the same thing she did, then great.

Anyone on this board would take a charity slot in a second to do that race (likely with no valid reason), myself included.

Part of the Slowtwitch Strength Training Association. Picking up something heavier than a bike makes me happy.
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am happy for her finish and glad she had the opportunity to do the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [Mark M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark M wrote:

the lesson here is eat ice cream and you will get stuff given to you others have to earn

brb getting some ice cream

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or perhaps the lesson is change your life and life can change for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [Mark M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Mark M wrote:

the lesson here is eat ice cream and you will get stuff given to you others have to earn

brb getting some ice cream

I keep eating it and so far this has yet to happen. I'm hoping for a BMW myself.

Part of the Slowtwitch Strength Training Association. Picking up something heavier than a bike makes me happy.
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [ponyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I keep eating it "

Americone Dream or Mission To Marzipan make a cloudy sunny. Ice cream is so awesome.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [ndrfnnut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i am not a fan of them having to run the marathon also on the show but who knows

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr. Tibbs wrote:
"I keep eating it "

Americone Dream or Mission To Marzipan make a cloudy sunny. Ice cream is so awesome.

This is why I weigh 148 with 14% body fat rather than 138 with 8%. Ice cream. SO yummy!

----------------------------------------------------------
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
If at first you DO succeed, try to hide your astonishment!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

ponyboy wrote:
dashmutton wrote:
SpicedRum wrote:
I

Anyone on this board would take a charity slot in a second to do that race (likely with no valid reason), myself included.

Are you sure about that?

I'm about 95% sure that I wouldn't accept a charity slot for Kona or Boston even though I seriously doubt I will ever qualify for either.

If the 5% of me did win over the other 95% and I chose to accept a charity slot...I would definitely NOT BUY ANYTHING with the words finisher on it since, in my opinion, it doesn't really count unless you qualify.

Last edited by: elecengrman: Oct 9, 11 12:58
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [elecengrman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elecengrman wrote:

ponyboy wrote:
dashmutton wrote:
SpicedRum wrote:
I

Are you sure about that?

I'm about 95% sure that I wouldn't accept a charity slot for Kona or Boston even though I seriously doubt I will ever qualify for either.

If the 5% of me did win over the other 95% and I chose to accept a charity slot...I would definitely NOT BUY ANYTHING with the words finisher on it since, in my opinion, it doesn't really count unless you qualify.

Really? If you finish you didn't really finish? Oh, BTW, if you buy your way in you did qualify.

There are a few ways to qualify:

Be faster than most in your AG at one race.

Be sort of fast and get a roll down at one race.

Get a lottery slot.

Pay a butt load of money.

However the pros get in.

Those are the KQ rules. If you get in and finish, you finished! Wear the shirt.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're thinking of a shirt that says "winner".
Her shirt will say "finisher". There are thousands of those.

Perhaps you have the WTC's next schwag-bag idea. They could give out shirts that say "qualifier".

mine will have to say "lottery" or "eBay rich guy"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you often picture yourself nailed to a cross?

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
elecengrman wrote:

ponyboy wrote:
dashmutton wrote:
SpicedRum wrote:
I

Are you sure about that?

Um...the point of charity slots is for people who don't/can't qualify. They are trying to raise money for good causes.

As for not buying a finisher shirt, last I checked if you finish a race, then you can claim that you finished it. Perhaps there should be different shirts for people who didn't qualify. Maybe they just get cotton instead of fancy material.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mr. Tibbs wrote:
"I keep eating it "

And the latest new flavor!

http://www.benjerry.com/...rs/feature/schweddy/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mr. Tibbs wrote:
Do you often picture yourself nailed to a cross?

Hahahhhaha!!!! Nicely done....

Spot

Quote | Reply
Commented on this before and I agree that if she accepted a slot to another race it wouldn't be that big a deal.

Here are the facts:
-She said she wanted to do the race for the tattoo, she finished, 42nd out of 44 in her age group. Enjoy your tat.

-NBC and her are both going to make money off of this, the people claiming she is a 'charity' slot, what charity? The one she runs, that will most likely pay her a salary? NBC's charity that has a vested interest in putting one of their weight loss contestants on TV to bring in more sponsors and donors?

-This is a one and done race for her, another celebrity bucket list gets checked off.

Also to the 'Well, gee golly gosh, what if couch potatoes see this and it encourages them to get off the couch... Do you honestly think that a couch potato is watching early afternoon random NBC sports coverage in December, with college football on? Biggest loser had it's lowest ratings ever this week and contestant after contestant have gained back the weight. It isn't about changing peoples lives, its a game show, and some contestants keep competing for fame after the show has ended.

Hey Mott,

Pass me the Ice Cream, maybe later I'll order a pizza and hit the BK drive thru. When my wife asks, I'll just tell her 'I'm Training For Kona'

Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A B A
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [Skibum232] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow...I was curious about her splits and stumbled on her race photos...she has definitely gained a bunch of her weight back...looks nothing like she does in the photos throughout this thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [lush_dawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lush_dawg wrote:
Wow...I was curious about her splits and stumbled on her race photos...she has definitely gained a bunch of her weight back...looks nothing like she does in the photos throughout this thread.

Link?

Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [mahlergrooves2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [lush_dawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn! She gained back quite a bit of that there weight. I guess it's easier to eat like crap when Jillian Michaels isn't screaming in your face every time you pick up a Krispe Kreme.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mahlergrooves2 wrote:
Damn! She gained back quite a bit of that there weight. I guess it's easier to eat like crap when Jillian Michaels isn't screaming in your face every time you pick up a Krispe Kreme.

Seriously? I looked through some of her recent Facebook pics and she looks fine.

Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I accel for about 10 seconds, at which point I have reached maximum velocity. The rest of my race consists
of a gradual decel.

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't see the FB pics before I posted. The FB ones are a lot better, actually. Though she still doesn't look as good as she did in those others.

Quote Reply

Prev Next