Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [swimfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimfan wrote:
ndrfnnut wrote:
Personally I think it's total bs that WTC gives away Kona slots in this fashion. Why don't they give these charity slots to other popular IM races (Lake Placid, Canada, etc)?

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...=cry%20like;#3309574

I just logged in to post this exact same thing.

-------------------------------
Ignorance is bliss until they take your bliss away.
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [bad929] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's true. It was just one badass race. No championship, no marketing hype, etc.

That's changed, and they want to increase their audience.

If someone wants a really, really tough race that will be celeb free, I'd recommend the Spartan Death Race (invite only), or the HURT 100.

http://aclockworkmango.com
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [LuvMyCrappyBike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And now that it has?
It's RUBBISH?
Are you mad?
It is our sport's finest 2hrs a year
Goin back again myself, Kona #5
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [LuckyMe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LuckyMe wrote:
Not everything has to be black OR white. At Kona, you have several races inside of one event. You have the "world championships" that happens in the 8-10 hour time frame and then all the older age group stuff, disabled athletes, etc... then you get the "everyman" sideshow in the later hours. So what? I think it's all just sour grapes for people who don't have the gumption to get there themselves.

Well I guess that's my small beef about it. WTC is having it both ways. And again, it's their race, and they can do it however they want to. Just the competitor in me, cringes every time I see a race recap and I see the coverage being of the lottery people or TV slot (again, this year were more stories of people who legitly qualified), who are struggling to beat the swim cut off or the 17 hour time finish (it's just now where the coverage is half "racing/ half "stories". IF, IF it's a world championship event, to me it slightly cheapens the actual "competitiveness" of the event, and the way WTC markets it, it's more of an "event" than a competiton. BUT, again, thats done because it makes WTC alot of money, and it's more about marketing than actually showing the racing and again, they most certainly can do it however they want to. Just for me, the competiveness of the race seems to get forgotten sometimes, and considering it's a "world championship", that kinda sucks.

Edit: But, I will say, the small beef I have with the event has certainly decreased over the years. I do cringe a bit, but just basically accepted that it is what it is.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Last edited by: bad929: Apr 27, 11 14:16
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [TomP_imc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I figured thats what you meant, or at least hoped, but your original post is $39,0000. So i figured either a bargain at 39 bucks or nuts at a third of a million.
Styrrell

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$ per ebay slot to win
32$K the first time
258K for the McLaren or Gallardo EVO or 458 Italia
$5K per day for all three at several trackday arrive and drives
T
Seriously Living
Until I die (again)
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [Roscoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Roscoe wrote:
Folks, we have an obesity epidemic in our society, in case you haven't noticed. A lot of obese people don't really try to lose weight because they don't believe they can do it. They've tried diets; they fail. They don't think they can exercise. The Biggest Loser phenomenon convinces them that they can, that they should at least try. What I like about the show is that it puts exercise, not diet, front and center in this effort. Most of the weight loss philosophies in this country over the last 30 years have been diets, and diets alone are doomed to failure.

So, I support anything that raises the profile of the Biggest Loser contestants and provides them a platform to show overweight Americans that there's no reason they can't get fit--fit enough to compete in some serious endurance events.

Former contestants, especially the ones who keep the weight off, seem to feel a responsibility to spread the "gospel" and I believe they really make an impact in an ongoing way. I know former BL contestant Jay Kruger, who joined our tri club this year. He's constantly making appearances and promoting fitness. Judging by the people who comment on his Facebook posts alone, he inspires a lot of people. I think it would be great if he were given an opportunity to do Kona. Sure, it took him 4:10 to do Boston and he'd probably take 13 or 14 hours to finish Kona. But that is mind-blowing to obese people who can't fathom getting to that point.

(My only beef with the show: they'd probably lose more weight riding a bike for 5 hours a day in zone 1 or 2. But, that makes for far less exciting TV than Jillian Michaels screaming at them to toss a medicine ball until they barf.)

You're right on the money. Shows like the Biggest Loser carry some inspiration with them and for a continent struggling with an obesity epidemic what we need is more channels like that through which people can realize its never too late to turn their life around. Its a show that demonstrates pills and diets and books are no replacement for working your butt off (no pun intended), but it also demonstrates that working your butt off can pay off.

Like Fleck alluded to, sure Macca running up the Queen K is a great story, but NBC knows that Tara from BL will probably speak to a lot more people considering 68% of the US population is overweight and 34% is straight up obese (Reference: http://www.hivehealthmedia.com/...-obesity-stats-2010/).

This might sound a little altruistic but if Tara taking the 1800th Kona spot and finishing in under 17hrs inspires people to turn their lives around from an abbreviated livelihood of obesity, then far be it for any one of us to say she that doesn't deserve the slot. If this was my year to KQ and I miss it by "one slot" (like thousands of other people), then I'd better just HTFU for next year.

Bad929: I know its a "World Championship", and I know having BOPers theoretically takes away from that. But if it wasn't for the human interest stories the Kona coverage would be a one hour recap broadcast on OLN, and advertisers and sponsors would walk away. KSwiss was all over this year's Kona sponsorship, but do you think KSwiss would be offering up a million bucks to the Raelert bros if they didn't think triathlon was a sport that ultimately had mass market appeal? Triathlon is a sport where "anything is possible" and every day people rightfully believe they can do something great. Take away everyday success stories and you take away mass market appeal. Take away mass market appeal, and the money for the pros, and the money for product development will dry up pretty quickly. Thats why the sport needs the human interest stories as badly as it needs its champions, and why the NBC Kona coverage is so split between the two. Simple as that.

Raf
http://www.shutuplegs.org
Last edited by: raflopez: Apr 27, 11 15:20
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [raflopez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is all well and good, but I think we should continue to hammer the cry baby who made the original post.

All you bitter pussies (that's right, Bigpuss is calling you guys pussies) are just gonna have to get over it. WTC puts on triathlon events. One of them is on NBC a few months after they run it (at which time we get treated to all the freaking whining about how shitty the telecast is).

You don't like? Go f@ck yourself. Make your own f@cking triathlon and get NBC or your local public access channel to play it on tv.

Or why don't you just quit triathlon and become a badass roadie so you can go to some other forum and cry about Lance Armstrong scratching his nut.

GET OVER IT!

Stop bitching and go home.

Pussies!

Quote | Reply
I re-read my post and fail to see where I called Kona "rubbish".

Is it the more commercial than it was 20 years ago? Yes.

Is that a bad thing? Not particularly, but if one wants to avoid a corporate race there are other options.

http://aclockworkmango.com
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [bad929] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bad929 wrote:
Man oh man, if that chick was fat, that is an amazing job by the trainers and herself for changing her life.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [raflopez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I'm not saying they are a bad thing, and I get what your saying. I'm basically saying there is a small part of me that hates that the sport is exactly as you put it. An participation sport that cant stand on it's on merit of racing. And like I said, litttle by little the soreness goes away, and the reality of the situation occurs. The sport needs these "stories" to make it and to get more "attention", etc.. But it doesnt mean that I have to 100% like it. Thats kinda all I'm saying. In a true sense, it sucks that that is what it is, but the reality of the situation is that, that is how the race and the coverage of the sport is.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Last edited by: bad929: Apr 27, 11 17:04
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bravo to that chick.
Edit: That is exactly what WTC and NBC should market the hell out of. That's fantastic and amazing, good for her!

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Last edited by: bad929: Apr 27, 11 17:16
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [ndrfnnut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess, I can see some good aspects. Mainly that more people are aware of triathlon and specifically Ironmans. I'm amazed how many people I met in the last couple months who didn't know what an Ironman was. Also it could convince some people that they can achieve something in their live if they stop being lazy.
But I have to say, I can only support this idea if the BL actually finishes the race. If this person just goes there for fun and gives up not even halfway into the race it wouldn't seem fair.
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [zoolander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zoolander wrote:
Thom wrote:
cam2win wrote:
...to be honest they probably will not even finish the race...

I'll take that bet. Tara is tough as nails.

Thom

here is Tara's marathon article,(not a terrible time)

Tara Costa, the winner of Biggest Loser season 7 is still in tip-top shape after completing the show seven months ago. Once weighing 294 pounds she is down to a size 8 and she just ran the New York City marathon last week. In her interview with Ok! Magazine she revealed her inspiration for running the race and how she trained in order to finish with a time of 4:23:12.

Interesting as she didn't win season 7 of Biggest Loser, but Helen did. She was in finals but wasn't the winner.....interesting the article was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [KathyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bet she was given the slot at NY marathon too. She didn't have to qualify or win it in the lottery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's call Capitalism
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think there wouldn't be such a fuss over this if she was required to at least finish an IM event like the Lottery winners.

By doing so it would 'validate' her ability, just like the lottery winners, and thus allowed to play in the 'big show'. If you don't 'validate' your spot and give the distance the respect it deserves, then you don't get to goto Kona.

By just showing up without 'validating' - we end up with the disgraceful Hoover fiasco. Thats disrespectful of the sport to just show up and fail after being spoon-fed a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Hoover disgusts me.

Now I'm also assuming both of these fatties didn't do a 'validating' race before hand. Otherwise correct me if I'm wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [Coasterx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
I think there wouldn't be such a fuss over this if she was required to at least finish an IM event like the Lottery winners.

We heard the same whining about the bachelor when he got a slot and he was a fairly accomplished triathlete who finished with a very respectable time. BTW, you only have to do a 70.3 to valiate a lottery slot.

Tara was involved with the Rev3 series, though I don't know if she ever did a race. She also did Escape from Alcatraz (or that other SFB race). She isn't new to triathlon.

Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:

Quote:

We heard the same whining about the bachelor when he got a slot and he was a fairly accomplished triathlete who finished with a very respectable time. BTW, you only have to do a 70.3 to valiate a lottery slot.

Tara was involved with the Rev3 series, though I don't know if she ever did a race. She also did Escape from Alcatraz (or that other SFB race). She isn't new to triathlon.

I only care that she has completed at least a 70.3 distance in the past 12 months. Otherwise, I don't care what she did before that. Same standards should be held to the fatties and the bachelors as lottery winners. Thats all.
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no problem w/ her getting a spot after accomplishing what she has...good for her. It doesn't affect anyone else so what's the big deal. This is how the sport of Triathlon is gonna grow - with media coverage. Human interest appeals to some, championship racing appeals to others - either way it promotes the sport and will bring more people to it and over time it will increase the level of competition as a result.
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [Coasterx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why does he disgust you? He missed the cut off by 3 minutes, which is better than some of those "not fatties". he had to do the same things that the lottery people did to get to go to Kona. Rather than quit, he finished the distance. Just because a person doesn't fot the ideal mold sholdn't make them less of an athlete. At least he stuck with the sport and finished an Ironman the next year. The fact of the matter is that Hoover and now Tara will bring more awareness to the sport than any other triathlete ever could. I find it hard to believe that anybody who knows anything about the sport would ever turn down the chance to race in Kona, regardless of their size. Hoover was fat but in the spot they showed on the Biggest Loser, which was seen by more people than the actual race, we was pretty greatful for the sport, not just Kona. Don't be pissed at him for taking an opportunity that anybody else would given the chance. Could he have been leaner and performed better? You bet. Could he kick your ass on the wrestling mat? Same answer. Fat or not, the guy is an athlete and you do have to give him some credit for not giving up. A guy like that and a girl like Tara are going to inspire way more other fatties to get off the couch and try to do something physical than any other "real" triathlete. Put those two in a room with any of the top level triathletes and see who is more recognized. To reitterate what other posters have said, the media slots don't take awy any real spots. Why aren't you bashing the lottery winners or the people who pay ridiculous amounts to buy their way in? The disgusting one in this post is you! Nice you can cry on the boards since you are bitter that you aren't racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) She lost weight, good for her, 75% of americans should join in that quest.
2) people watching the biggest loser might tune into ironman now and attract more sponsor money.

I don't see the problem. Yes it sucks she didn't "rightfully" qualify, but in my mind that's not really an issue. I see the positives.
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [allout10k] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As far as I know, Tara didn't qualify - which puts her in the same category as a lottery winner. Kona is definitely a field split up into three categories: Pros, fast AG qualifiers and lottery winners. Are they all enthusiastic and can contribute to the sport? Absolutely! But especially in the lottery group there are a bunch of people (not all) who DID NOT put in the work. And those people are less deserving of a spot and definitely take those spots away from AG-qualifier athletes.

How about a rule amendment banning anyone who doesn't make the cut-off from entering the lottery again until they AG-qualify?
Or changing the validation rule to require at least one sub-17 Ironman finish?

BTW, can anyone confirm that Tara validated her slot with a 70.3 finish? Maybe I just didn't hear about it...
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [BigPuss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go cry to your mama. No one here cares about your pathetic little gripes about your sad, bitter life.

But you seem to care enough to respond with a post that is far more pathetic.
Quote Reply
Re: Biggest Loser gets Kona slot = bs [rickn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dang she is hot. Should give her a spot just for that.

Yeah, I'd be okay with 1,700 hot women, none of whom have ever competed a triathlon entering. At least I could tolerate watching for a few hours.

The women might object but hey, it's my fantasy.
Quote Reply

Prev Next