Steve
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [LuisDF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LuisDF wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
spool wrote:
SwissBeats wrote:
Shouldn't it be 50% off for those who DID'NT qualify to help them train better to potentially qualify one day...

Haha yep! If someone at Powertap wants to send me a 50% off code, I'll order the P1 pedals today!

The fact that P1 pedals have such a large stack height is deal breaker. I don't really understand this one. People should be trying to get as low to the ground as possible, not sit up there in the sky.

really??? 3mm is such a deal breaker for u?

having a pm that is accurate and doesn't need to be send every 3-6 months to a company with awesome customer service is more important to me.

also, I can use it on my trainer bike, old bike, road bike , tri-bike, single speed, *CX, etc... and still get the same numbers without worrying about how i gonna fit this crank/wheel/even pedal pod (garmin) on xyz bike.

Why would I want to give up any aeroness? Besides getting my self lower to the ground where wind speed is less, I also get a lower center of gravity. There are other benefits too but hopefully these are enough for you.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [steve1128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey that is not bad at all just for asking!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really?

I sent an email yesterday asking if they were going to have a similar sale for Black Friday or in the future, and the answer was "No".

No coupon code either... maybe I should try again.
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
LuisDF wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
spool wrote:
SwissBeats wrote:
Shouldn't it be 50% off for those who DID'NT qualify to help them train better to potentially qualify one day...

Haha yep! If someone at Powertap wants to send me a 50% off code, I'll order the P1 pedals today!

The fact that P1 pedals have such a large stack height is deal breaker. I don't really understand this one. People should be trying to get as low to the ground as possible, not sit up there in the sky.

having a pm that is accurate and doesn't need to be send every 3-6 months to a company with awesome customer service is more important to me.

also, I can use it on my trainer bike, old bike, road bike , tri-bike, single speed, *CX, etc... and still get the same numbers without worrying about how i gonna fit this crank/wheel/even pedal pod (garmin) on xyz bike.

Why would I want to give up any aeroness? Besides getting my self lower to the ground where wind speed is less, I also get a lower center of gravity. There are other benefits too but hopefully these are enough for you.

U must be riding circles around sanders with your 3mm closer to the ground setup.

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well played!! I got nada. But 25% wouldn't be enough to motivate me anyways.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Sep 15, 16 17:13
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Well played!! I got nada. But 25% wouldn't be enough to motivate me anyways.

Ya same here. Although I am more than happy to pay someone for their p1 pedals If they would like to sell :)
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [LuisDF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LuisDF wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
LuisDF wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
spool wrote:
SwissBeats wrote:

U must be riding circles around sanders with your 3mm closer to the ground setup.

I don't quite understand your logic with this. No I don't ride circles around sanders because I don't put out 364 watts for a 70.3. I do ride "circles" around from a watts/kg perspective, because I focus on the little things. It all adds up. Why all the hate for marginal gains, even if it is small.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Sep 15, 16 17:36
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [beercity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just FYI, these work on their wheelsets. Great deal for someone who is looking for a good set of race wheels at a great deal.
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [kyle h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kyle h wrote:
Just FYI, these work on their wheelsets. Great deal for someone who is looking for a good set of race wheels at a great deal.

this is true

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
LuisDF wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
LuisDF wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
spool wrote:
SwissBeats wrote:

I don't quite understand your logic with this. No I don't ride circles around sanders because I don't put out 364 watts for a 70.3. I do ride "circles" around from a watts/kg perspective, because I focus on the little things. It all adds up. Why all the hate for marginal gains, even if it is small.

I should have added the pink font ha!

no hate for marginal gains but I had so many issues with quarqs and garmin that at this point I just want something that works every single time and it is easy to transfer between bikes.

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
I think the whole brand ambassador thing is meaningless, if anything a nice gesture to the athletes

I agree, and as I mentioned previously, I've seen many instances where these ambassadors are NOT selling the value of the brand or the product, they are telling people how they can get the same deal!!

On your other point, I'm painting with a broad brush here, (there are some savvy/smart retailers out there) but many retailers are not terribly sophisticated and they interpret value and service, with giving as many people as possible a discount!

I'm not so sure. It really depends on how the ambassador program is handled at a company, and how much focus they put on evaluating requests. For most companies, there's little to no cost in such programs, especially compared to pro athlete sponsorship's. They'll often still be selling equipment at cost or wholesale cost, so, it's no skin off their back. And even when they give it away, again, it's nothing compared to a pro sponsorship in cost. And many times people are far more likely to trust some random person/influencer they follow than a pro that appears to be saying whatever the marketing department wants to be said.

A company could easily get 10-20 (heck, probably multiples of that) for the price of a pro triathlete. And in most cases, *if properly selected* they'll get far more brand exposure than most pro triathletes, because most pro triathletes frankly suck at brand exposure. They forget that the purpose of sponsorship is to raise awareness for the company. There are of course examples of pros here that do a great job for their companies, but those are frankly few and far between.

Of course...this all goes well beyond the point of this thread (for which there are already many other very long threads on ST talking about it).

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ray,

Thank you.

I don't disagree with anything you said there.

People who can be real, true ambassadors for a brand - that promote the full value, and the features of a brand/product, and lead to as many sales at MSRP as possible, are pure gold!

The problem as you mentioned is in the screening and scrutiny at the front-end of this. Too many, be they at the wholesale or retail level, don't do this, and the discounts or however the "deal" is structured are just wontonly handed out. Again, in general, a big problem in the business, is a lack of sophistication when it comes to this sort of "marketing" - like most things for it to work really well, it takes, careful thought, work, time and creativity to make it a truly winning exercise.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:
Fleck wrote:
I think the whole brand ambassador thing is meaningless, if anything a nice gesture to the athletes
A company could easily get 10-20 (heck, probably multiples of that) for the price of a pro triathlete. And in most cases, *if properly selected* they'll get far more brand exposure than most pro triathletes, because most pro triathletes frankly suck at brand exposure. They forget that the purpose of sponsorship is to raise awareness for the company. There are of course examples of pros here that do a great job for their companies, but those are frankly few and far between.

Fwiw, I have reached out to Powertap a couple of times. Over the years I have purchased 2.4 unit, a 2.4 SL, G3, and Disc all at full retail cost. I have always been a fan of Powertap, and they are about 3 miles from my home. A lot of times I like to purchase products just because I like to be more knowledgeable and experienced. Getting silo'd is not good. Anyway, I reached out them a couple of times, frankly, as a Powercranks user the chainrings or p1 pedals appeal to me - especially for a direct-drive trainer user. Unfortunately I never heard back but was happy to pay for them.

Now, maybe they think I wouldn't review them unfavorably. I dunno, but I do think this program is a decent program. You are right, it probably is more exposure than pros and certainly less hassle. On the flip side, I will say that most sponsorship people don't even know how to quantify the ROI of their pros. This is the number one question I ask when talking to sponsorship peeps. The sword cuts both ways.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll pay someone $50 profit if they buy the pedals for me :D

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [bofferman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me too. A serious offer here.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bofferman wrote:

Unless it's your buddy, doesn't seem like it would be worth the hassle to bank $50. Or perhaps I'm underestimating Twitchers' esprit de corps...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bofferman wrote:

I'll go $100 (sorry..... :P)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read through half this thread and had to laugh at all the people that were pissed they didn't qual for the 50% off.

Big discounts have always been available to (elite) athletes that are at the point end of the spear. You don't see the top athletes in the world with shitty equipment. They get the best, most expensive equipment so they can a) perform better b) look better c) get everyone that's not as good as they are to buy those products from the companies that make them.

I think this move is valid and one that others should mimic. Give the best athletes in the sport a chance to market products for them.

What's the issue? Win Win...for KQ and for Saris.

Mad cuz you're not a pointy ender? OK, go KQ.

:P
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And I guess I could have the same reaction when one of those pointy ended athletes who makes no money can't qualify for a good rate on a loan. HTFU. Go get a better job, too bad, blah blah blah. It's not quite as simple as just go KQ just like it isn't quite as simple to just go get a better paying job. Yes, we all understand the world works that way but can't we still complain about it a bit in a forum like this ;)
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Sep 16, 16 18:18
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
trentnix wrote:
Saris has become the Rudy Project of power meters.

Uhhhh, wut? Sorry your internal dealings with them have been sub par apparently, but in general Saris/PT is a pretty good company to work with as a dealer.

From my understanding the margins for dealers are complete ass. That's probably a big part of why trentnix is so butthurt.
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
A 2016 Nissan Versa starts at $11,990. A specialized Venge ViAS costs $12,900.

Yes these two items are the same price but it's apples and oranges.

The Specialized Vias really should be compared to a $50,000+ car

Beyond that, it's a totally different margin structure. Dealers take 35-40% middleman fee, and OEMs take another chunk

Auto companies have fewer third parties eating up the pie and so they can run at a lower margin % relative to retail

It's just a different business entirely and you can't really compare the two.

Direct to consumer is starting to shake up this space -- Canyon, Diamondback, et al

Will be fun to watch for us consumers, and not so fun for Mr. Nix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks again for posting.

I won't be using them even if I get them in time (nothing new on race day), but I couldn't resist the deal. I ought to be able to sell my used Vectors for $400-500, which makes these a no-brainer upgrade, especially way easier with travel.

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
James Haycraft wrote:
trentnix wrote:
Saris has become the Rudy Project of power meters.

Uhhhh, wut? Sorry your internal dealings with them have been sub par apparently, but in general Saris/PT is a pretty good company to work with as a dealer.

From my understanding the margins for dealers are complete ass. That's probably a big part of why trentnix is so butthurt.

Margins for dealers on most technically "advanced" things are slim to zero.

I always thought the worst of the bunch was Garmin. Plus, they give stuff to Amazon first (for example, the 735), so users could get a 735 delivered to their door days before LBS/retail were able to buy them. Plus, the margins on Garmin products ordered through 3rd party distributors (in an emergency fill-in sale, for example) are laughably non existent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

I wonder if anybody has bothered calculating the difference in wind speed from being 3mm lower.
Quote Reply

Prev Next