Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [Viper966] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I''m sure there is a charitable slowtwitch KQ'er who wants their unused code to be adopted into a good home, yes?

I await a PM. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [JSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSully wrote:
I''m sure there is a charitable slowtwitch KQ'er who wants their unused code to be adopted into a good home, yes?

I await a PM. ;)

Is it possible to +1 here with a ditto? Haha.
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
trentnix wrote:
Saris has become the Rudy Project of power meters.
Meaning crappy, overrated products or shamelessly marketing at Kona?

Not! Their top notch service alone makes them far from crappy. Beyond that, the product works well.

This, FYI, is being said by someone who owns a power tap and a quarq. I have had 5 power tap wheels over the years. All good.

I also see no reason to bash a company for attempting to help athletes. If Chris King did that, would we immediately say they make crappy headsets? Then again, no Tri bike even has one since they have integrated headsets that eventually will wear out and destroy the frame. Yes, I said it. Then again, the next aero band wagon will call last years bike crap anyway, so maybe longevity is not critical.

Rant done.
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:

Uhhhh, wut? Sorry your internal dealings with them have been sub par apparently, but in general Saris/PT is a pretty good company to work with as a dealer.
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [rmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rmt wrote:
Have you done any measurements Thomas, as I'm sure when the pedals came out I worked out that stack height was around 4mm more than my Time RXS's, and they had a stack of 12.5mm.

I have not done any measurements. I don't actually own a set of P1s.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [Viper966] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Viper966 wrote:
i got my coupon code this am, will buy tommorow, but im keeping my pedals i think.. need to swap between road/tri bike and moving cranksets got annoying
So how does this work, do you have to be a Kona qualifier AND a paying Virtual Training customer to get this code?

Or is KQ enough? That's the easy part...
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [kyle h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'd think about it but not sure i got the email from them

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They could see 100% cannibalization (would be customers, and secondary market sales to would be customers) with no incremental business based on these Kona qualifying "influencers" and the halo effect from this campaign, or they could attract incremental business well above and beyond those cannibalization offsets.

A really big problem in the bike/tri business is that everyone is on on some sort of deal. So much so that it's now a built-in expectation. Almost nothing sells at MSRP - and the margins are thin there!!

What's ironic, is that for the most part, most people into the bike/tri sports, are of the socio-economic group that, don't really need all these discounts. But they persist. It's becoming a serious problem at retail where, as I said almost nothing sells at MSRP, everyone who is a member of some group, club or association get's a 15% discount on anything, at any retailer, somewhere. That 15% - that's most shops margin, on actual store purchases, now permanently gone!

Programs like this reach their ridiculous apogee, when brands offer deals like this PowerTap deal or similar, to "Ambassadors" and influencers, and then those people don't promote the brand or the product, they promote how to get the same deal!!!

I'm not saying the PowerTap deal here is a bad one - there is marketing value in this, but it does just perpetuate the constant non-stop deal making and brokering that goes on in the bike/tri business that really helps no one!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the shit wasn't so expensive people wouldn't expect deals.

Plus it's human nature to want to buy stuff "on sale" - it's psychology man.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
They could see 100% cannibalization (would be customers, and secondary market sales to would be customers) with no incremental business based on these Kona qualifying "influencers" and the halo effect from this campaign, or they could attract incremental business well above and beyond those cannibalization offsets.

A really big problem in the bike/tri business is that everyone is on on some sort of deal. So much so that it's now a built-in expectation. Almost nothing sells at MSRP - and the margins are thin there!!

This.

And really, this is true of any enthusiast category now....go look at golf clubs. Why buy the latest /greatest when you know in 6 months it will be on sale for 30-50% less?

There is zero incentive for anyone to buy a new bike at full retail.....it will be discounted shortly. You just have to be patient.

The industry is eating its own....

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the shit wasn't so expensive people wouldn't expect deals.

Plus it's human nature to want to buy stuff "on sale" - it's psychology man.

I don't disagree.

But the bike/tri business has this massive discount culture now. Both suppliers and retailers, need to position things in a more up-scale way - think Apple, Starbucks etc . . not Dunkin Donuts and Walmart.

The problem is it's so endemic now, as I said, there is this built-in expectation of a discount on everything, everywhere for everyone!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the whole brand ambassador thing is meaningless, if anything a nice gesture to the athletes. Most race performances are for all intent and purpose: anonymous. Certainly more bang for the buck to have someone leading clinics, group rides, sessions, but still a very limited scope. Maybe the bike marketing guys or the people with the affiliate links in their signatures could chip in.

But look at any large event, triathlon, gran fondo, or even a mountain bike trailhead. Tons of people who are oblivious to the fact that any sort of community exists (clubs, teams, heck even forums), who I'm sure have no problems walking into the bike shop and paying MSRP.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
But the bike/tri business has this massive discount culture now. Both suppliers and retailers, need to position things in a more up-scale way - think Apple, Starbucks etc . . not Dunkin Donuts and Walmart.

The problem is it's so endemic now, as I said, there is this built-in expectation of a discount on everything, everywhere for everyone!

A 2016 Nissan Versa starts at $11,990. A specialized Venge ViAS costs $12,900. Granted these are fringe examples, but we still have an industry where I can probably find a dozen different bikes that cost more than cars. How could anyone argue that the cost of design and materials for a bicycle could exceed that of a car?

I don't really see this as a problem as bike manufacturers not being "upscale" enough, I see the drive for discounts to be a reflection of the reality of the actual value of the products offered. Every year the industry pumps out tons of new products that offer only marginal gains at best over the products they are replacing. Consumers are expected to pay a huge premium to have the latest and greatest meanwhile the resale on their widget from last year falls off a cliff.

How could an informed consumer for whom money actually is a consideration justify paying a several hundred percentage premium over buying a previous model stock or a used good condition for some trivial gain (if any at all) in performance? Really, you can't, hence everyone demands some sort of deal or discount to even consider it.

I don't work in the bike industry, this is not a problem for me to solve. I am simply a consumer and frankly if manufacturers choose to dedicate their time and energy on developing products like 10k+ bikes for the 0.1% instead of delivering real value to consumers then that is their decision, just don't expect me to contribute to your bottom line.
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
trentnix wrote:

Uhhhh, wut? Sorry your internal dealings with them have been sub par apparently, but in general Saris/PT is a pretty good company to work with as a dealer.

I think this is in reference to Rudy Project giving away helmets at Kona, and then making claims about how popular their helmets are at Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tgarson wrote:
Fleck wrote:

A 2016 Nissan Versa starts at $11,990. A specialized Venge ViAS costs $12,900. Granted these are fringe examples, but we still have an industry where I can probably find a dozen different bikes that cost more than cars. How could anyone argue that the cost of design and materials for a bicycle could exceed that of a car?

I don't really see this as a problem as bike manufacturers not being "upscale" enough, I see the drive for discounts to be a reflection of the reality of the actual value of the products offered. Every year the industry pumps out tons of new products that offer only marginal gains at best over the products they are replacing. Consumers are expected to pay a huge premium to have the latest and greatest meanwhile the resale on their widget from last year falls off a cliff.

How could an informed consumer for whom money actually is a consideration justify paying a several hundred percentage premium over buying a previous model stock or a used good condition for some trivial gain (if any at all) in performance? Really, you can't, hence everyone demands some sort of deal or discount to even consider it.

I don't work in the bike industry, this is not a problem for me to solve. I am simply a consumer and frankly if manufacturers choose to dedicate their time and energy on developing products like 10k+ bikes for the 0.1% instead of delivering real value to consumers then that is their decision, just don't expect me to contribute to your bottom line.

This. Definitely this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A 2016 Nissan Versa starts at $11,990. A specialized Venge ViAS costs $12,900.

Yes these two items are the same price but it's apples and oranges.

The Specialized Vias really should be compared to a $50,000+ car

Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [SwissBeats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SwissBeats wrote:
Shouldn't it be 50% off for those who DID'NT qualify to help them train better to potentially qualify one day...

WHY??? Who gets the lowest interest rates????? Surely not the people who have the least amount of money.
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [OlderTryGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't know a 50% off code for a Powermeter had ANYTHING to do with interest rates?! I am intrigued...explain more!

OlderTryGuy wrote:
SwissBeats wrote:
Shouldn't it be 50% off for those who DID'NT qualify to help them train better to potentially qualify one day...

WHY??? Who gets the lowest interest rates????? Surely not the people who have the least amount of money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very, very valid points. This is so true for me. Great response.

tgarson wrote:
Fleck wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
spool wrote:
SwissBeats wrote:

Haha yep! If someone at Powertap wants to send me a 50% off code, I'll order the P1 pedals today!

The fact that P1 pedals have such a large stack height is deal breaker. I don't really understand this one. People should be trying to get as low to the ground as possible, not sit up there in the sky.

really??? 3mm is such a deal breaker for u?

having a pm that is accurate and doesn't need to be send every 3-6 months to a company with awesome customer service is more important to me.

also, I can use it on my trainer bike, old bike, road bike , tri-bike, single speed, *CX, etc... and still get the same numbers without worrying about how i gonna fit this crank/wheel/even pedal pod (garmin) on xyz bike.

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [pknight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the whole brand ambassador thing is meaningless, if anything a nice gesture to the athletes

I agree, and as I mentioned previously, I've seen many instances where these ambassadors are NOT selling the value of the brand or the product, they are telling people how they can get the same deal!!

On your other point, I'm painting with a broad brush here, (there are some savvy/smart retailers out there) but many retailers are not terribly sophisticated and they interpret value and service, with giving as many people as possible a discount!

Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [Nicko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nicko wrote:
So how does this work, do you have to be a Kona qualifier AND a paying Virtual Training customer to get this code?

He he, no "Virtual Training" required, just KQ.

First I tried to get the $299 GS hub half off, that didn't work :-(
Ordered a pair of P1 pedals that I don't really need. $600 was just too good...

Sooo, about that left/right balance, anyone ever got any use out of it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nicko wrote:
Nicko wrote:

He he, no "Virtual Training" required, just KQ.

First I tried to get the $299 GS hub half off, that didn't work :-(
Ordered a pair of P1 pedals that I don't really need. $600 was just too good...

Sooo, about that left/right balance, anyone ever got any use out of it?

From what I have found, it is a totally different Virtual Training website for the P1 pedals. VirtualTraining.eu is what you use for the P1 pedals. VirtualTraining.com seems to be something else.

Also, did they run out of GS hubs? I just lined up a deal with some friends to get a bunch of wheels built on those hubs.
Last edited by: beercity: Sep 15, 16 12:02
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [beercity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No 50% off on the still available $299 GS hub (which is already >50% off from the original price).
Bummer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nicko wrote:
No 50% off on the still available $299 GS hub (which is already >50% off from the original price).
Bummer.

That would be an insane deal for sure. Considering the hubs are still selling on eBay for $399.
Quote Reply

Prev Next