Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [Anton84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly as someone who wants a power meter to help me improve it just pisses me off. They shouldn't have sent it to everyone. Like someone said up thread its like a lottery only for rich people.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
If I understand what you are saying (a huge assumption on my part), the pedal is much thicker than a typical pedal (say Shimano Ultegra) and thus pushes you up higher requiring an increase in seat height to accommodate? Is that it? If so, how much are we talking about...1/8 inch, 1/4 inch, 1/2 inch??

Jet Black told me to be quiet.... Just looking at the stack height again, it is not as much of difference as I once thought. I think somewhere down the line the number changed. I remember seeing it quoted at around 18mm but the FAQ now says 14mm. I may have to do my own measurements at some point.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [mknight84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rich people get more than not-rich people. When did that start happening??? /pink
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1981?

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [beercity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know why anyone is upset about missing out on this. You won't. Any Kona Qualifier with a brain is going to pick up a pair of pedals prior to the big day and dump them in the classifieds or on Ebay in late October. Much like all the Reynolds clinchers that got spit out of Wattie Ink and all the crappy Kona qualifier Rudy Project helmets over the years, this is just going to trickle down. Relax and wait.
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
I don't know why anyone is upset about missing out on this. You won't. Any Kona Qualifier with a brain is going to pick up a pair of pedals prior to the big day and dump them in the classifieds or on Ebay in late October. Much like all the Reynolds clinchers that got spit out of Wattie Ink and all the crappy Kona qualifier Rudy Project helmets over the years, this is just going to trickle down. Relax and wait.

New price for the P1s is $1200 + tax, what do you think the going rate for unused pedals that people bought for $600 plus tax will be?

I still think this is an odd move by Powertap, the negatives of pissing off non-eligible customers and putting downward pressure on their prices would seem to outweigh the positives of selling a few more power meters to Kona qualifiers at or near cost and the halo effect, whatever it might be, of the fact that more folks at Kona (mostly the less competitive ones, since the more competitive ones are less likely to be in the market for new power meters) will be using Powertaps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:

Any KQ-ers want to get ahead of the game on this - PM me - I will take them off your hands at a reasonable profit

(Serious offer...)
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
PubliusValerius wrote:

New price for the P1s is $1200 + tax, what do you think the going rate for unused pedals that people bought for $600 plus tax will be?

I still think this is an odd move by Powertap, the negatives of pissing off non-eligible customers and putting downward pressure on their prices would seem to outweigh the positives of selling a few more power meters to Kona qualifiers at or near cost and the halo effect, whatever it might be, of the fact that more folks at Kona (mostly the less competitive ones, since the more competitive ones are less likely to be in the market for new power meters) will be using Powertaps.

My guess is they will sell for somewhere around $900, maybe a bit less. The enterprising Kona athlete will pocket a few hundred bucks cash.

I'm not sure I agree with you. Triathletes are sheep and conform to a fairly rigid hierarchy that rewards speed above all else. Kona qualifiers are the fastest in their respective triathlon microcosms, and they hail from all corners of the globe. If you sell a low cost/high margin product like Rudy Project, this would seem to be a fairly strong rogue marketing move. That said, I spoke with RP about this several years ago, and they said it was a huge financial hit -- not from the cost of the product itself so much as shipping all the stuff to Hawaii, paying for and running a big booth, operationalizing the whole thing, etc.

Actually, I don't understand what anyone is pissed off anyways. If you want in on deals like this, qualify for Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [plumber250] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plumber250 wrote:
PubliusValerius wrote:

Any KQ-ers want to get ahead of the game on this - PM me - I will take them off your hands at a reasonable profit

(Serious offer...)

This. This is how it's done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
niccolo wrote:
PubliusValerius wrote:

My guess is they will sell for somewhere around $900, maybe a bit less. The enterprising Kona athlete will pocket a few hundred bucks cash.

I'm not sure I agree with you. Triathletes are sheep and conform to a fairly rigid hierarchy that rewards speed above all else. Kona qualifiers are the fastest in their respective triathlon microcosms, and they hail from all corners of the globe. If you sell a low cost/high margin product like Rudy Project, this would seem to be a fairly strong rogue marketing move. That said, I spoke with RP about this several years ago, and they said it was a huge financial hit -- not from the cost of the product itself so much as shipping all the stuff to Hawaii, paying for and running a big booth, operationalizing the whole thing, etc.

Actually, I don't understand what anyone is pissed off anyways. If you want in on deals like this, qualify for Kona.

Hmm. So in your estimation, the benefit of selling a small number of power meters at or near cost, and of having marginally more people at Kona (albeit mostly the slower ones, since the faster ones are less likely to be in the market for new power meters) using Powertaps which is somehow supposed to make the Freds more likely to purchase them at or close to retail, outweighs the negatives that some of those Kona athletes would have bought Powertaps at or closer to retail, that some will resell theirs to others who would otherwise have bought them at or closer to retail, and that some will interpret this as Powertap needing to clear excess inventory and perhaps offering discounts to the broader public soon and therefore delay a purchase? Count me skeptical Saris will ultimately regard this as a good move.
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saris will like never know whether this is a good move or not -- always the really challenging aspect of marketing analytics. As the old saying goes, you waste half your marketing budget but you are never sure which half...

They could see 100% cannibalization (would be customers, and secondary market sales to would be customers) with no incremental business based on these Kona qualifying "influencers" and the halo effect from this campaign, or they could attract incremental business well above and beyond those cannibalization offsets.

I suppose your guess is as good as mine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:

Is that all?
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [mknight84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could ask my friend to pick up one of the pedals since he just got his KQ and doesn't need another power meter :). OTOH I already have 2 Garmin Vectors so I don't need another PM either ;).
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [karlw2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
karlw2000 wrote:
I could ask my friend to pick up one of the pedals since he just got his KQ and doesn't need another power meter :). OTOH I already have 2 Garmin Vectors so I don't need another PM either ;).

I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of "new/unboxed" Powertaps in the Classifieds forum popping up in October.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any KQers out there try this yet?
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [Kula] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just dropped an email...will see...

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [hueby416] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hueby416 wrote:
It is a very expensive product to hold inventory on and generally tough to get any kind of after market service revenue since powertap would do all warranty service anyway. What I have really never seen from any LBS is some kind of "Power package" so to speak where you buy x bike and you get y power meter for a bundled price.

This is why the Quarq Prime platform is a genius move by SRAM. You stock a spider and you can slap it on any Prime crankset. I doubt many LBSs stock PMs because which brand to stock? What model? What crank length? What bolt circle? And then the customer is thinking "why am I buying an entire crankset when I just want the crankset that is already on my bike to spit out watts?" Pointing to the customer's bike and saying "we're gonna replace that piece in the middle of your crank" is a lot easier than saying "well yeah you gotta buy a whole new crank, but you can sell the crank that's on your bike now on eBay."

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
hueby416 wrote:
It is a very expensive product to hold inventory on and generally tough to get any kind of after market service revenue since powertap would do all warranty service anyway. What I have really never seen from any LBS is some kind of "Power package" so to speak where you buy x bike and you get y power meter for a bundled price.

This is why the Quarq Prime platform is a genius move by SRAM. You stock a spider and you can slap it on any Prime crankset. I doubt many LBSs stock PMs because which brand to stock? What model? What crank length? What bolt circle? And then the customer is thinking "why am I buying an entire crankset when I just want the crankset that is already on my bike to spit out watts?" Pointing to the customer's bike and saying "we're gonna replace that piece in the middle of your crank" is a lot easier than saying "well yeah you gotta buy a whole new crank, but you can sell the crank that's on your bike now on eBay."

This is what I am looking for as a consumer - what is the least expensive part of my bike I have to trash in order to get power?

No way I'm getting rid of my Zipp disc to put a wheel cover on a PT wheel. After I take off the crank and replace it with a P2M, what do I do with my fancy crank that came with the bike? Being able to just add the power component to existing hardware is awesome.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [SwissBeats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SwissBeats wrote:
Shouldn't it be 50% off for those who DID'NT qualify to help them train better to potentially qualify one day...

you'd think

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone take advantage of this yet?
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [SwissBeats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SwissBeats wrote:
Shouldn't it be 50% off for those who DID'NT qualify to help them train better to potentially qualify one day...

Yeah, I am thinking they kind of missed their target market on this one.
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get that the stack height is taller than other pedals, but isn't that height effectively added to the bottom of the pedal? Hence some remarks about potentially clipping the pedals during corners in crits. They didn't really design the platform of the pedal to be higher off the ground so that you would need to adjust your seat post when switching from other pedals, right? That just seems like a horrible design choice.

http://trainingwheelsrequired.wordpress.com
@KellyNCollier
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [kyle h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i got my coupon code this am, will buy tommorow, but im keeping my pedals i think.. need to swap between road/tri bike and moving cranksets got annoying
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [KellyNCollier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KellyNCollier wrote:
I get that the stack height is taller than other pedals, but isn't that height effectively added to the bottom of the pedal? Hence some remarks about potentially clipping the pedals during corners in crits. They didn't really design the platform of the pedal to be higher off the ground so that you would need to adjust your seat post when switching from other pedals, right? That just seems like a horrible design choice.

Stack height is from the pedal spindle and up. The larger the stack height, the higher the seat post. Based on what is stated on the website it is only 1mm more than Look Keo. Speedplay has the lowest stack height, by the time you add the adapter plate it is usually a wash. Shoes have different stack heights as well, so anytime you change shoes, pedals etc you have verify the seat post measurement.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you done any measurements Thomas, as I'm sure when the pedals came out I worked out that stack height was around 4mm more than my Time RXS's, and they had a stack of 12.5mm.
Quote Reply

Prev Next