Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers...
Quote | Reply
Got this email from Virtual Training today:

Quote:
At Virtual Training we recognize all the hard work that goes into making it to Kona and want to reward the countless hours and dedication you’ve given to meet that goal. For that reason we have teamed with our friends at PowerTap to offer you 50% off your power meter of choice.
To receive your coupon code please contact PowerTap Concierge, Jamie Hartmann.Offer expires 10.1.16 (limit one PowerTap per person).
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [beercity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beercity wrote:

Quote:
At Virtual Training we recognize all the hard work that goes into making it to Kona and want to reward the countless hours and dedication you’ve given to meet that goal. For that reason we have teamed with our friends at PowerTap to offer you 50% off your power meter of choice.
To receive your coupon code please contact PowerTap Concierge, Jamie Hartmann.Offer expires 10.1.16 (limit one PowerTap per person).
Saris has become the Rudy Project of power meters.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
Meaning crappy, overrated products or shamelessly marketing at Kona?
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shouldn't it be 50% off for those who DIDN'T qualify to help them train better to potentially qualify one day...
Last edited by: SwissBeats: Sep 15, 16 9:47
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
trentnix wrote:

My comment was probably meaner than is deserved.

I just find Powertap to be generally unprofitable products that are being given away to the "cool kids" to create a perception of value that is higher than is justified.

Trent Nix
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
beercity wrote:

Quote:

Who will be the #1 power meter at Kona this year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
beercity wrote:
trentnix wrote:
beercity wrote:

Quote:

Who will be the #1 power meter at Kona this year?
No idea. I'd guess Quarq, but I just think that's the *best* power meter, not necessarily the most popular. The best bike hasn't been the most popular bike at Kona for years, so I wouldn't be shocked if the same held true with power meters.

Trent Nix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
exxxviii wrote:
trentnix wrote:

I just find Powertap to be generally unprofitable products that are being given away to the "cool kids" to create a perception of value that is higher than is justified.

There's a lot rolled up in that one sentence. Your second comment comes across even meaner than the first. I'm surprised to read this coming from you, and not quite understanding the vitriol.
Yes, they're doing exactly what you said. But so? Their job is to sell product. Where's the crime?

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [SwissBeats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agreed. this is like a lottery only for rich people.
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
50% off power pedals is a pretty nice deal!
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [SwissBeats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SwissBeats wrote:
Shouldn't it be 50% off for those who DID'NT qualify to help them train better to potentially qualify one day...

Haha yep! If someone at Powertap wants to send me a 50% off code, I'll order the P1 pedals today!
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [karlaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
karlaj wrote:
trentnix wrote:
exxxviii wrote:
trentnix wrote:

There's a lot rolled up in that one sentence. Your second comment comes across even meaner than the first. I'm surprised to read this coming from you, and not quite understanding the vitriol.
Yes, they're doing exactly what you said. But so? Their job is to sell product. Where's the crime?
They, like so many vendors, have confused their customers with their audience. The athlete is their audience, but the miracle pill of omnichannel has them confused.

I do not enjoy dealing with them as a vendor to my shop, and this is another example of a behavior pattern that is contrary to their rhetoric. My reasons are probably not appropriate for the board and are very "inside baseball", so to speak. I just think the future their behavior creates is an unprofitable one, and therefore an unsustainable one. I don't think an unsustainable future is good for anyone: retailer, vendor, and consumer alike.

Trent Nix
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [spool] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am right there with you! I am in the market for a PT to help me train better with the KQ goal in mind...

spool wrote:
SwissBeats wrote:
Shouldn't it be 50% off for those who DID'NT qualify to help them train better to potentially qualify one day...

Haha yep! If someone at Powertap wants to send me a 50% off code, I'll order the P1 pedals today!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spool wrote:
SwissBeats wrote:

The fact that P1 pedals have such a large stack height is deal breaker. I don't really understand this one. People should be trying to get as low to the ground as possible, not sit up there in the sky.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shhhhh
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spool wrote:
SwissBeats wrote:

Agreed, I'm close to purchasing another power meter, but I'd bite on P1 pedals at 50 percent off. At full price, not so much...
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
spool wrote:
SwissBeats wrote:

Agreed, I'm close to purchasing another power meter, but I'd bite on P1 pedals at 50 percent off. At full price, not so much...

Its a pretty decent deal considering its similarities to Vectors without all the installation issues.
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I understand what you are saying (a huge assumption on my part), the pedal is much thicker than a typical pedal (say Shimano Ultegra) and thus pushes you up higher requiring an increase in seat height to accommodate? Is that it? If so, how much are we talking about...1/8 inch, 1/4 inch, 1/2 inch??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The email raised my eyebrow too. They should have send that directly to folks who qualified. Now they dissed 99% of their customers (those who have not qualified and had to pay full price for PT products).
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
If I understand what you are saying (a huge assumption on my part), the pedal is much thicker than a typical pedal (say Shimano Ultegra) and thus pushes you up higher requiring an increase in seat height to accommodate? Is that it? If so, how much are we talking about...1/8 inch, 1/4 inch, 1/2 inch??

3-4mm higher compared to other pedal systems, according to Powertap
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can definitely see how Powertap is making some LBS folks upset over this move but I really don't see a power meter as a really good LBS product anyway. It is a very expensive product to hold inventory on and generally tough to get any kind of after market service revenue since powertap would do all warranty service anyway. What I have really never seen from any LBS is some kind of "Power package" so to speak where you buy x bike and you get y power meter for a bundled price. I could see more people biting on that but maybe I am wrong.

Back to powertap though I have both the pedals and a powertap g3 wheel and love both. They work flawlessly 100% of the time and I almost never have to think about them. I do think this marketing stunt is pretty dumb though as I got the same email so it means they sent them out to everyone. While I am not upset if I were in the market for a power meter I would probably be demanding they give me the discount. Probably would have been better to give a code in the Kona race packet or market directly to Kona athletes somehow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spool wrote:
SwissBeats wrote:

X2 - was tempted to email just to ask if I could get in on the deal to help qualify for next year :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fair enough.
We don't enough "inside baseball" around here, but it's way more than anywhere else it seems.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
karlaj wrote:
trentnix wrote:
exxxviii wrote:
trentnix wrote:

They, like so many vendors, have confused their customers with their audience. The athlete is their audience, but the miracle pill of omnichannel has them confused.

I do not enjoy dealing with them as a vendor to my shop, and this is another example of a behavior pattern that is contrary to their rhetoric. My reasons are probably not appropriate for the board and are very "inside baseball", so to speak. I just think the future their behavior creates is an unprofitable one, and therefore an unsustainable one. I don't think an unsustainable future is good for anyone: retailer, vendor, and consumer alike.

I am guessing you don't like them offering cheaper buying channels than what you can offer at your shop. I worked at two different large LBS in Dallas during college and we had very good interactions with PT/Saris, no problems at all, possibly this is isolated to your shop? This is a really smart move by getting some of the fastest triathletes on their products. Many times these people are coaches, group leaders, and or mentors to other people in the sport and this can potentially sway others to consider their products. The PT hub still is the most bomb proof PM on the market, crankset is priced well, and the pedals are competitive. I own a power beam pro trainer and had an issue last year, called and talked to a really informed individual. They paid to have it shipped both ways and had a new updated unit in 3 days. I would never hesitate to buy another product from them for the exceptional support. The same is true for Quarq, just incredible service and similarly had a new unit in 2 days. To me this is the kind of company that will be here for the long haul.

I say all this by the way as an owner of 3 quarqs, powerbeam pro trainer, and a PT hub.
Quote Reply
Re: 50% off PowerTap for Kona Qualifiers... [captain-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesnt hurt to ask!
Quote Reply

Prev Next