Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [bad929] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That opportunity will be short lived and Lance will extract the premium proceeds, as a result WTC will see little benefit. Further, that benefit will do nothing to improve its value (remember its owned by private equity, which wants to grow and sell) in the eyes of the marketplace that matters. WTC is not going to pave the way for Lance to simply walk-in, line up next to the pros, and race unless he has a pro-card and has qualified through their system (possible, but seems remote). If WTC is not going to benefit financially in the long run, and no one has articulated a basis for how it will, then Lance will race with the AGers (again if he qualifies) and life will go on.

Lance is in the business of Lance, not in helping others make money off him.
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Show me how WTC makes more money and we will have something to discuss. Maybe you can start by outlining the long term positive impact for the New York City Marathon of having Lance participate; that should take you a while.
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [centermiddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
centermiddy wrote:
That opportunity will be short lived and Lance will extract the premium proceeds, as a result WTC will see little benefit. Further, that benefit will do nothing to improve its value (remember its owned by private equity, which wants to grow and sell) in the eyes of the marketplace that matters. WTC is not going to pave the way for Lance to simply walk-in, line up next to the pros, and race unless he has a pro-card and has qualified through their system (possible, but seems remote). If WTC is not going to benefit financially in the long run, and no one has articulated a basis for how it will, then Lance will race with the AGers (again if he qualifies) and life will go on.

Lance is in the business of Lance, not in helping others make money off him.

As opposed to so many other people out there that aren't out for number 1.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
Green Barf wrote:
Apparently I'm a real idiot because I don't understand how letting someone race Kona as a pro who has not earned his spot, and who will be fighting drug charges, is good for our sport, especially if he is later found guilty. If that happens, even the fanboys here will see him as one of the biggest sporting pariahs in history. Yeah, folks and money will then flood to triathlon if he is associated with it....

Lots of ifs and buts in that little tirade.

Whatever dude. Keep swingin' tarzan. Even more ifs and buts associated with LA's lack of a decent run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
centermiddy wrote:
Show me how WTC makes more money and we will have something to discuss. Maybe you can start by outlining the long term positive impact for the New York City Marathon of having Lance participate; that should take you a while.

Seriously? How many of us got into this sport solely because of the NBC broadcast of Kona? Advertised correctly and how many more people could see Lance race? thousands? Hundred thousand? How many of those then want to race an Ironman? I can't help it if you are short sighted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
centermiddy wrote:

Exactly.

But, but. but.... I can feel the excuses coming already.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
centermiddy wrote:

I only read a couple of the posts so excuse me if I am repeating what someone else stated or missed the point of this but here's something to chew on:

WTC can make more money in the short term simply by selling more advertising space for their event coverage, broadcast, etc. They can attract additional sponsors that are outside the world of triathlon. Even if it is for 1 year as the sponsors are trying to cash in on the publicity, media, awareness that Lance will bring on the media side of things, WTC can see the beginnings of a longer relationship.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where are they going to put the races? There is very little capacity. These people end up putting money into the pockets of other race management organizations; that is bad for WTC. I can't help it if you are naive.
Last edited by: centermiddy: Apr 5, 11 8:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sure hope they will let Michael Phelps race Kona as a pro. He has proved as much in IM triathlon as LA has. Oh wait, I forgot, only the bike matters here on ST. And Ryan Hall too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
centermiddy wrote:
Where are they going to put the races? There is very little capacity. These people end up putting money into the pockets of other race management organizations; that is bad for WTC. I can't help it if you are naive.

Yeah, you're correct. There is no money in licensing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much Ironman toothpaste have you bought?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
centermiddy wrote:
How much Ironman toothpaste have you bought?

I am not currently their customer base. But you are getting the idea now....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I see Livestrong/Ironman toothpaste/mouthwash combo packs at Costco being a huge hit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
centermiddy wrote:
Yes, I see Livestrong/Ironman toothpaste/mouthwash combo packs at Costco being a huge hit.

yup, the Ironman Expo does really poorly. As does the Timex Ironman watches.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it is funny you believe this. Ironman sells so little licensed product that it doesn't even show up in IRI data.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
centermiddy wrote:
I think it is funny you believe this. Ironman sells so little licensed product that it doesn't even show up in IRI data.

Which brings us back to my original point of expansion = more customers = more money (potentially).
Obviously your mind is made up so I won't waste me time.
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe Livestrong. com is owned by Nike.
Here is a video of the swim finish:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiUXTm7Ni0A
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
centermiddy wrote:

I believe WTC pays out $$ to have Kona broadcast on NBC.
Put Lance on the start line and I suspect they now have a product to sell to the networks.
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [saunaking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
saunaking wrote:
centermiddy wrote:

I believe WTC pays out $$ to have Kona broadcast on NBC.
Put Lance on the start line and I suspect they now have a product to sell to the networks.
I'm sure Lance knows this. He charge the Tour Down Under $2M to appear. What do you think he would charge WTC?
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [Green Barf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Green Barf wrote:
I sure hope they will let Michael Phelps race Kona as a pro. He has proved as much in IM triathlon as LA has. Oh wait, I forgot, only the bike matters here on ST. And Ryan Hall too.

I'm not sure what your point is. Michael Phelps is not training to be a triathlete. Nor does he have a history as a triathlete. Nor has he run a marathon in the past few years (that i'm aware of) nor has he trained on his bike. This isn't really a comparison is it.
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [MrTslab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Livestrong.com is owned by Demand Media - who also own eHow.com, etc...

Livestrong.com is a for-profit website that pulls content that they think appeal to the Livestrong audience and sells advertising space on the site and takes revenue from links on the site.

Lance and LAF reportedly have an ownership of livestrong.com but also receive money from Demand Media for licensing the Livestrong name.
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [Fastyellow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fastyellow wrote:
Tri or Die wrote:

LA is a buisness man. Lets get this clear, what ever race he decides to do will have VERY certain ties to making LIVESTRONG more proffitable and that particular race. If LA shows up at a race, it will ultimatley mean LIVESTRONG is going to benefity from it. Who knows the payout on either end?

I'm a Lance fan 100% at heart, but there are financial gaines to be had.

Livestrong is a non-profit organization.

You are insinuating LA is a cheat and a thief. Which is fine, but just say that.

If he were a business man, which I believe he is, he would derive his income from legit endeavours, which I believe he has.

Do you understand that a 501(c)(3) can have a profit? They do not have to pay out everything they bring in.
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [Green Barf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Green Barf wrote:

Apparently you missed the title of this thread and the associating results by the man you love to hate (hate him or love him, he can swim). Or have missed the seven tours he won. Or, more importantly, have apparently forgotten how he got his start in cycling (triathlon if your memory is too minimal in capacity).

A man that is dedicated enough to put in the time, energy and potentially have doped (an example of a win at all costs type of attitude) to win seven tours can surely compete in kona if he puts his mind to it given his background. I'm not sure how you can even argue that legitimately apart from repeatedly telling everyone how you've just thrown up in your mouth. That makes sense though given your handle.

Its taxing to hate so much...let it go.

"One Line Robert"
Last edited by: wsrobert: Apr 5, 11 11:26
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I do understand that....geez...this isn't a 501C discussion. The guy I originally responded to was insinuating that Lance profits from LAF and Livestrong.org.....He does not. Just because a 501c can make a profit (duh) doesn't mean they can distribute that profit however they want...as he was stating. Enough of the thread jack,....I just wanted to point out that I felt his opinion was wrong about Lances motivation. Using the word "profit" was incorrect in that context. Let's get back to Lance winning multiple Ironman's and swimming with Andy Potts...much more entertaining.

-------------------------------
I'm faster in Kilometers!
Wattie Ink Triathlon Team