Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [drewmc3656] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drewmc3656 wrote:
Just curious, but why do so many people seem to think that Armstrong will be able to ride so much faster than someone like Lieto? And speaking of Lieto, we've all seen what happens to those who just kill it on the bike--they get hammered on the run. What's different about Armstrong doing it than Lieto?

FWIW, I believe Yoder beat Lieto on the bike today at the Kemah International. I thought that was said at the awards ceremony.

Yes, it was a 40K. Yes, Chris might have been saving something for the Texas 70.3 next week (although I don't see why he would hold back on a 40K). Yes, it's early in the season. As good as Chris or any other pro triathlete is on the bike they aren't remotely in Lance's universe. Jordan can correct me if I'm misquoting him but he said something along the lines that any pro triathlete competing in the TdF would come in dead fuckin' last. Lance won the damn thing 7x and came close two years ago. It's a different world.

If Lance can swim around :50, the only person he'd really need to catch on the bike would be Potts and that wouldn't take very long. Then he's off. If that were to happen, it would be very interesting to see what the strategy of the others would be. Give Lance a 15-20 minute lead and it could be over. Try to keep Lance in their sights and they could pay dearly on the run.

I'd love to see this all play out.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [Joe M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking Lieto and Lance might want to make a nice showing for Trek and put a little time into the field and see who can catch them on the run. Lance being there might be one of the best things to happen for Lieto.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
drewmc3656 wrote:
Just curious, but why do so many people seem to think that Armstrong will be able to ride so much faster than someone like Lieto?

Maybe because LA is one of the best cyclists ever? Just a thought.

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wasn't there a video that Lance put out on Facebook last year that showed him and Lieto, in Hawaii, duking it out in a time trial? And I think Lance spanked him pretty good. And I didn't get the sense that LA went all out. I.e. maybe just hard enough to make sure he came out ahead. Or maybe they both took it easy. I can't recall but I do remember Lance took him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
drewmc3656 wrote:
Just curious, but why do so many people seem to think that Armstrong will be able to ride so much faster than someone like Lieto? And speaking of Lieto, we've all seen what happens to those who just kill it on the bike--they get hammered on the run. What's different about Armstrong doing it than Lieto?

Lieto nearly won in 2009. Stadler won it in 2004 and 2006 with this strategy. Faris won it in 2005 leading the bike almost the whole way. Hellriegal did it one year too I think, and was 2nd to Mark allen as well after leading on the bike.

Ruble Triathlon Coaching Average of 30 coached PR's per year
Florida Triathlon Camps Train in North Americas winter training destination
Ruble Racing Events Midwest Triathlon Racing
Ruble Timing Midwest Event Timing
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [JJakes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually it was something like 18 seconds. So not a spanking, but who knows what the effort was.

And I think it was only 10 miles?
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [JJakes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JJakes wrote:
Wasn't there a video that Lance put out on Facebook last year that showed him and Lieto, in Hawaii, duking it out in a time trial? And I think Lance spanked him pretty good. And I didn't get the sense that LA went all out. I.e. maybe just hard enough to make sure he came out ahead. Or maybe they both took it easy. I can't recall but I do remember Lance took him.

Yes Lance beat him, and I think it was also noted that Lieto did either a swim before or had a brick run afterwards. Not saying that both are on equal, because thats obviously not true, just pointing out that I think Lieto had a AM swim before this little matchup TT. Not to say Lance was going all out or whatever, just reporting everything.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Last edited by: bad929: Apr 3, 11 13:46
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paulo Sousa wrote:
This thread needs SpeedRacer1 and FastandFun.

WIN

Quote | Reply
Lance is painting a masterpiece... 48 is the perfect time to spur some mixed intrigue, he plans to win an IM. and qualify for Kona legit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
drewmc3656 wrote:

Are you being serious? Did Lieto win 7 Tours while I was not looking?
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [nicetri!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Until he can prove he can do the run training, and actually run a decent marathon, yawn...
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [GMAN 19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think ultimately, he has a helluva cardio engine. As mentioned, that wins races. HE lacked the power to weight ratio to match acceleration in the mountains in the last TDF's or the sustainable peak power to win the TT's. Be he was still very, very strong and not far behind.

I think the run is the big question mark. I think he conserves a little on the bike so he an have fresh legs. Sooo the big question is, can he build the run speed.

Does he actually trade some cycling muscle (weight) to be leaner for a faster run. I could see him evenly splitting his training time on the bike and run just for that reason. But if he trains too much running, he might risk injuries. It seems like most all triathlete injuries are running related other than a bike crash.

If I were him, I'd warm-up with a couple local HIM to test nutrition strategies and such at race pace, and test his running form off the bike, then pick a smaller IM and go for a win and get a Kona qualifying time.

Does anyone know, will he be sponsored or race under the Livestrong name?

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [Green Barf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Green Barf wrote:
Until he can prove he can do the run training, and actually run a decent marathon, yawn...

Lol.... remember when folks were saying that about his swim not that long ago. I guess its 2 parts down, 1 to go ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Green Barf wrote:
Until he actually races a tri, let alone a long distance race, yawn.
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [crud] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I also remember at least 2 threads where people predicted he would easily break 2:30 in his first marathon, some even had him running an OT qualifier!! I mean, how does a guy with the greatest aerobic system not, right. Fact is, he barely broke 3 and said it was the hardest physical event he has ever done. Why wasn't he faster. Because there is more to running than having a great aerobic system.

He will never toe the line at Kona. Either he backs out because his run fails to substantially improve, or he gets injured because his run doesn't substantially improve.

And for the record, I was enormously impressed that he as able to run a 2:59 after such specialization for 20 years. I don't think too many people realize how hard that was.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's run a 2:46, to be fair. Still well off where he needs to be, but with dedicated training, who knows.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think he gave the marathon his best effort judging from the extra lbs and comments from others including AS regarding his lack of proper training.

No idea how it all plays out, but I do know that he's been pretty successful at whatever he does when going pelota-out.
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
%FTP wrote:
Actually it was something like 18 seconds. So not a spanking, but who knows what the effort was.

And I think it was only 10 miles?

If you followed the splits in the middle of it Lance was smoking him, then somehow the gap had come down big time at the end. I don't think it would of looked good for the sponsors if he blew him away.

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [crud] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
crud wrote:
I don't think he gave the marathon his best effort judging from the extra lbs and comments from others including AS regarding his lack of proper training.

No idea how it all plays out, but I do know that he's been pretty successful at whatever he does when going pelota-out.

Well that in itself should tell you all you need to know about him, and his future as a multisport athlete. Here is one of the most focused athletes on the planet, who now can't focus enough get his ass out the door enough to train properly, even though he said it was important to him. No reason at all to believe his flirting with tri will result in anything different. He has nothing left to prove as an athlete. He is starting to remind me of Favre, except that Favre actually continued to perform at a high level. He really should just walk away now.
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
definitely a very good time, but to be fair, they appear to be wearing wetsuits in that pic. speaking as someone who's a medium-OK swimmer and stronger biker, i will say the wetsuit gives me a minute or two . . .

-mike

Water temp was 69 this morning, and they used USAT rules so it was a wetsuit legal swim.

Lance won't have to qualify for Kona. They'll give him a "celebrity" slot if he wants it. That means he won't be starting with the pros but 30 minutes later with everyone else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Green Barf wrote:
...who now can't focus enough get his ass out the door enough to train properly, even though he said it was important to him.

Yes, a 48 minute IM-distance swim clearly shows he's not training properly.
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [CamR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CamR wrote:
iron_mike wrote:
definitely a very good time, but to be fair, they appear to be wearing wetsuits in that pic. speaking as someone who's a medium-OK swimmer and stronger biker, i will say the wetsuit gives me a minute or two . . .

-mike

Water temp was 69 this morning, and they used USAT rules so it was a wetsuit legal swim.

Lance won't have to qualify for Kona. They'll give him a "celebrity" slot if he wants it. That means he won't be starting with the pros but 30 minutes later with everyone else.

His pro cycling card reciprocates. He'll race pro if he wants - which he will want.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Green Barf wrote:
crud wrote:

Well that in itself should tell you all you need to know about him, and his future as a multisport athlete. Here is one of the most focused athletes on the planet, who now can't focus enough get his ass out the door enough to train properly, even though he said it was important to him.

Did you forget the pink font or do ridiculous comments just come naturally?

Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
drewmc3656 wrote:

I can think of seven things...

You don't even need count to seven. Two or three is enough.
Dr Ferrari, Bruyneel & Carmichael.
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [GMAN 19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN 19030 wrote:
CamR wrote:
iron_mike wrote:

-mike

His pro cycling card reciprocates. He'll race pro if he wants - which he will want.

Well of course WTC will have him racing as a "pro" with a wink wink, but by the "rules" he has to qualify, even if he is a pro cyclist. But as someone else mentioned, I'd be more shocked he actually toes the line at Kona than him winning. I dont even think he gets to the starting line.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Last edited by: bad929: Apr 3, 11 16:22
Quote Reply

Prev Next