Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@Lance Armstrong
Ran race #2 in the Santa Barbara Trail Series this. Was advertised to be 8.5 miles. Felt like 20. The downhills absolutely killed me.

Tweet 4/9/2011

Hugh - It does appear Lance is racing various run distances and type...
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [Joe M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joe M wrote:
@Lance Armstrong
Ran race #2 in the Santa Barbara Trail Series this. Was advertised to be 8.5 miles. Felt like 20. The downhills absolutely killed me.

Tweet 4/9/2011

And the word was that most of the 34 other participants didn't realize who he was during the race.........
just another runner.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
Joe M wrote:
@Lance Armstrong

Tweet 4/9/2011

And the word was that most of the 34 other participants didn't realize who he was during the race.........
just another runner.

Hugh

------------------

You mean that there wasn't a television network there broadcasting live coverage?But,but it was Lance and the race director could have made millions on the tv rights..;-)

----------------------------
Last edited by: Ultra-tri-guy: Apr 9, 11 16:24
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
You mean that there wasn't a television network there broadcasting lie coverage?But,but it was Lance and the race director could have made millions on the tv rights..;-)

The Zazoosh photo guy is peeing himself right now.

blog: transitionfour.com
twitter: @tritweeter
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [Green Barf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These posts are really funny for over a year people are whining how can Lance get in Kona without qualifying. Please I am not pro or anti Lance but i mean really he has won the tour 7 times. His marathon time of 2:45 is a marginal time for an elite but ther just is so much hype surrounding this entrance to the race. he wants to do it let hiim in. His entrance to the sport will show really how different our sport is and how good the top athletes are. I mean if the top couple of girls beat him then it shows the validity of our athletes. I remember him racing in the 90's and he was a good triathlete.The fact that he is a supreme fundraiser and that CTS has worked with the WTC make it a given that he gains entry.

I can't speak for the top pros but I am sure they want him the race sooner than later. He is a pretty good athlete but he will not win it. He probably does not even think that but he will make the race interesting
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [Scot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He will not race because he will not want to get chicked by Chrissie.

Quote | Reply
Scot wrote:
These posts are really funny for over a year people are whining how can Lance get in Kona without qualifying. Please I am not pro or anti Lance but i mean really he has won the tour 7 times. His marathon time of 2:45 is a marginal time for an elite but ther just is so much hype surrounding this entrance to the race. he wants to do it let hiim in. His entrance to the sport will show really how different our sport is and how good the top athletes are. I mean if the top couple of girls beat him then it shows the validity of our athletes. I remember him racing in the 90's and he was a good triathlete.The fact that he is a supreme fundraiser and that CTS has worked with the WTC make it a given that he gains entry.

I can't speak for the top pros but I am sure they want him the race sooner than later. He is a pretty good athlete but he will not win it. He probably does not even think that but he will make the race interesting
---------------

Being sensible on Slowtwitch is not allowed so give yourself a time out..;-)

Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [Joe M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rah rah rasputin
i swear i thought you wrote lance and boney M were training
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scot wrote:

From the way the pro's were all worried about this new "qualifying" standards for the pro's getting into Kona, it seems like many of the pros didnt want him to race at all (or atleast have a "free" pass to Kona, while they have to qualify).

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Last edited by: bad929: Apr 9, 11 17:11
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [bad929] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think if he races and they prove the point the pros and the sport will benefit. if he were to win which I think is finding lightning in a bottle it could be devasting to the sponsorship of the top guys but that is highly unlikely. It should show how good the top guys are now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He can have all these fast (and I call them "cute") workouts/race results, but until he actuallly steps to the line of a triathlon, all these workouts really are more hot air than anything. But if you listen to what he said last year, I got the feeling, he just is tired of everyone sniffing his jock expecting him to race and race for the win at Kona. Just seems like he wants to enjoy it and if he lays down a fast time (if he even races), great, if he gets chicked, great. It almost seemed like he was ok with just having fun with it, while everyone else (sponsors, fans) have this need/feel to put this pressure on Lance to "race" for the win. Of course it doesnt help when his own coaches come out and talk up Kona like he's racing to win it, but I guess I just get the feeling that at some point, he's going to tell every to F off with all this athletic pressure.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At some point he has to put up or shut up. I coach a guy who was a Jr national team member in cycling with a swim backgroundbut he is even seeing age groupers match him on the bike. Lance 's strength on the bike will be negated to a point by having the unknown of the run behind it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont think he'll do it when he's "pro" competitive. I'm sure if he would do Kona 5 years from now just to do it to make an appearance, raise some Livestrong "awareness", etc., finish in 9:37, have a cool super fast bike, blow up for the run, but it wouldnt matter.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even now he has a lot of built in outs. he is 40, he really has not raced tris in 20 years. There really is not a lot to lose in this for him now. I am mean dave Scott was second at age 40 but please his whole athletic career was wrapped in Kona. Lance's legacy could be more effected by courts than it would by Kona. I just think there is so much hype over all sports and news becasue of media that is blown out of proportion. We will see what happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bad929 wrote:
I dont think he'll do it when he's "pro" competitive. I'm sure if he would do Kona 5 years from now just to do it to make an appearance, raise some Livestrong "awareness", etc., finish in 9:37, have a cool super fast bike, blow up for the run, but it wouldnt matter.
-------------------------------------------------

In the grand scheme of things the general media and those "average folks" who follow Lance wouldn't give a shit if he did 8:30 or 9:30 because they don't expect him to win Hawaii any more than they expect him to win any of the marathons he enters.I think it is the minority of folks (like here on ST) who sit around all day dreaming up all the "can he do this or that" scenarios.

Lance would have nothing to lose in any Ironman he entered but there are some second tier pros who might be worried if he showed up on race day at any of the mainland Nth American M-dots.

I've said it before,I believe he has the talent to win an Ironman race but not Ironman Hawaii.Maybe we will see it but probrably we won't

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Results from that race, if anybody cares:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/...thkey=CN-p3soL#gid=0

Internet User
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [Dark Mark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hold on, that was an 8.5 mile race? I'm not knocking the times, but I just gotta ask...what kind of an evil course was it? Must have been brutal!
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Obviously Lance is still a top cyclist, and from this swim result he can still knock out a good swim. I do suspect though that there would be some evening out of his bike speed compared to the top cycling triathletes if he was training like a triathlete and not like a cyclist. Whilst I am sure it is probably correct that the top cycling triathletes would finish last in the Tour it doesn't mean that some of them didn't have the ability to be top cyclists just that obviously years spent training to be a triathlete is not ideal preperation to be a stage racing cyclist. I am sure Lance wouldn't have put in the same performances at the tour if he was knocking out 50+miles a week of running.

A number of leading cyclists have of course hit the Ironman start line - Udo Bolts, Jalabert etc and provide some idea of what cyclists can do over an IM bike course though neither have Lances tri heritage so likely started the bike in worse shape than you would expect Lance to.
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [Z fan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
he 'tweeted' that it felt like 20miles. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ultra-tri-guy wrote:
bad929 wrote:

-------------------------------------------------

In the grand scheme of things the general media and those "average folks" who follow Lance wouldn't give a shit if he did 8:30 or 9:30 because they don't expect him to win Hawaii any more than they expect him to win any of the marathons he enters.I think it is the minority of folks (like here on ST) who sit around all day dreaming up all the "can he do this or that" scenarios.

Lance would have nothing to lose in any Ironman he entered but there are some second tier pros who might be worried if he showed up on race day at any of the mainland Nth American M-dots.

I've said it before,I believe he has the talent to win an Ironman race but not Ironman Hawaii.Maybe we will see it but probrably we won't

Well Said..

--------------------------------------------------------
I see obsessed people.
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [doubleplay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lance would do better to head to a course like Roth where the swim is guaranteed to be flat and the bike course is the fastest for a good cyclists. The crowds are the biggest and there are plenty of rolling hills.
Anyway i agree with some above that he is best to target one race and it doesn't need to be Kona. Kona is a nice place and Hawaii is where ironman started, but I reckon go where the leaders/direction of the sport go, Roth. World record course and a chance to lay down a once in a lifetme fatest time. Lance would cruise through a 4hr 10min ride on that course I reckon and they even drive/bike on the same side of the road as he is used to. 'Rip it up' I say and forget the Kona hype altogether.

G.

http://www.TriathlonShots.com
Full event coverage of triathlon/ironman in photos.

Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [triathlonshots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triathlonshots wrote:
Lance would do better to head to a course like Roth where the swim is guaranteed to be flat

As opposed to all the swims with steep grades? ;)

Asad
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [asad137] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, so far, Green Barf was right.

Shall we place bets on whether Lance will race Kona in 2012?
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread needs a video of me shaking Lance's hand. Just to prove what a super-mega-fan I am.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq_iPOUQAQ4
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [KingJulian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
look ma, no hands !

Quote Reply

Prev Next