Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Trying to follow Pogacar is a dangerous game, GT rode smart.

At 25 years old Ferris has completed the GT stage win hat trick…

Fall off your bike, drop the field.

Like I said, he looks vulnerable.......:)
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
“Hope is not a strategy.”
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:

True, but also, "luck is where preparedness meets opportunity", and we can be pretty sure G. is prepared. Just needs an opportunity. And if it doesn't come within 19 more days, another podium is nothing to sneeze at.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

True, but also, "luck is where preparedness meets opportunity", and we can be pretty sure G. is prepared. Just needs an opportunity. And if it doesn't come within 19 more days, another podium is nothing to sneeze at.

I think you are right. It's just that this is feeling awfully like a procession.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally agree on GT getting podium, probably second step. He’s cagey, unlike…

“It’s a shame because I definitely feel like I was the second strongest guy, but probably the least intelligent.”
- Ben O’Conner on trying to follow Pogacar.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: May 5, 24 13:02
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
... It's just that this is feeling awfully like a procession.

Oh, for sure the dominance does take some of the fun out of it. We just have to try to be content with all the other battles going on for stages, the jerseys, and so on.

And of course there are other races! Tro Bro Leon, as usual, was an exciting race. It's good to see the Bull is back despite multiple punctures/bike changes. And another really fine ride by Riley Sheehan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Totally agree on GT getting podium, probably second step. He’s cagey, unlike…

“It’s a shame because I definitely feel like I was the second strongest guy, but probably the least intelligent.”
- Ben O’Conner on trying to follow Pogacar.

LOL, it's quotes like that that make me an O'Conner fan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
echappist wrote:
... It's just that this is feeling awfully like a procession.

Oh, for sure the dominance does take some of the fun out of it. We just have to try to be content with all the other battles going on for stages, the jerseys, and so on.

And of course there are other races! Tro Bro Leon, as usual, was an exciting race. It's good to see the Bull is back despite multiple punctures/bike changes. And another really fine ride by Riley Sheehan.

Tro Bro Leon is such a good parcours and the weather always keeps it fun to watch.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ClayDavis wrote:
So I went out for a ride today and when I got back there was a package waiting:

So here it is, the podium chug:
https://youtube.com/...?si=bbbkPPrX30FJcStf

Thanks WannaB!

That is awesome on both of you. Love it. You have some work to hit Kusstanza levels though ;)
Last edited by: likes_bikes: May 5, 24 15:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
Well, one puncture and all of a sudden things are exciting.

ETA: OK, not that exciting. All back to normal now.

That was a quick return to normal, but that was sketchy. Was that wheel throwing sparks?
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [likes_bikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tomorrow we get the first look at Cool Hand Luke in action. Finish looks too much like one for the pure sprinters, should suit LL KoolJ well.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [likes_bikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
likes_bikes wrote:
eb wrote:
Well, one puncture and all of a sudden things are exciting.

ETA: OK, not that exciting. All back to normal now.

That was a quick return to normal, but that was sketchy. Was that wheel throwing sparks?

I thought so too! But on seeing the slo-mo replay, it looked like it was burping orange sealant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pogi did that climb with no data. old school. didn't he do the bel filles climb of final tour TT with no data?
maybe i'm way too much of a slave to the data - but i'd want to know if I could likely push a lil more (or conversely in O'Connor's case to back off a lil).
I have a harder time identifying with O'Connor's ride - maybe just bc at 56 I almost never feel even mildly in control when going near my limit!
something tells me Pogi might have had a little more in the tank.

Sprinters to the fore tomorrow - sounds like rain. Going J. Milan before I bother to see finish profile or weather (you know - like Pogi - no data!).
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [fredericknorton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pog changed bikes at the bottom and it's a kind of a tell that he didn't grab his head unit. Speaks to a mindset maybe?
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [fredericknorton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny you say that because I'm the opposite. I'll use the power meter in training, but so often when doing a shorter full gas effort like that I'm better off not using the data and pacing by RPE. More often than not I can find a little something extra that I wouldn't have had otherwise if I was only going off data.

As for O'Connor...on one hand, there's the mentality that you're either dropped or not, ignoring the data and the fact that you shouldn't bother with the fact that you know the effort is a little too spicy. Alternatively, someone at his level should probably know better what kind of effort he can hold and that doing what he did would blow himself up.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's a combination of historically not using the headunit when he attacks and the stress of the situation. He had crashed and was more concerned about getting a new bike. I think had he not crashed and was just standing by his bike while waiting for a new one, he would have been more likely to grab it.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [ttusomeone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it may be part of the long game that Pog is playing to prioritize listening to his body over everything else - this is going to be real important this Giro if he's going to maximize his chances of success in the Tour. Sometimes the head unit can reign you in ("I'm feeling great!" but the data shows the effort is not sustainable) and sometimes it can cause you to push ("This feels terrible but I know I can do these numbers"). I feel like Pog could just have gone with strategy of "I'm going to attack but make sure it doesn't feel too taxing" which for most people is not likely to drop anyone, but in his case his measured effort is enough to cause others to explode.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, that didn't age well. What is he doing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ClayDavis wrote:
I think it may be part of the long game that Pog is playing to prioritize listening to his body over everything else -

Tell me the one where Pog is prioritizing listening to his body again. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
ClayDavis wrote:
I think it may be part of the long game that Pog is playing to prioritize listening to his body over everything else -

He can't seem to help himself. Maybe listening to his body is the problem - the legs just want to go go go. It's exciting to watch, but damn, it does seem like a huge waste of energy when he's staring down the barrel of 6 weeks of grand tour racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow.
he might need to alter Jens's 'shut up legs' sticker with - simmer down competitive instinct (ok that's a bit long to read while doing 900 watts in the saddle prying open the gap).

Milan - almost! I suspect going as fast as they were for 2 minutes that drafting as long as possible would have helped the last turn of speed.
glad the roads werent too wet/slippery - lots of watts in those final ks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He really needs to rein it in. Even if this becomes a procession he’ll pay the price in July. He does look very lean too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
ClayDavis wrote:

He just seems not himself these days.....

Anyway, back to the mindset thing, if you've watched MvDP take a bottle from a car, he doesn't take even a hint of sticky with him. Speculating again, but suggests he is in a headspace where even a little fudging is a chink in his mental focus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
GT is a national treasure. https://www.instagram.com/...MTg3N2JrMG5pZmx3NA==
Did you see Pog's response?

Silly games like today's is one of the reasons you see so many crashes in the first week of the GTs. The GC teams should just stop when they pass the 3 km mark.
Quote Reply

Prev Next