Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cycling news wrote:
16:23:17
Alaphilippe pulls away as the road flattens out. Valverde is beaten...

wow, it had to happen sometime. solid golf clap for him.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Suck it, Piti!

indeed! about damn time. difficult to understand his positioning though. seems like he borrowed a page from Dan Martin's Huy playbook

Matthews, what a ride! And to think he'd beat Gilbert. Even Gerrans never did this well on the Huy. Impressive ride

Guarnier did well in the women's race. She might do quite well on Sunday

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tri_Joeri wrote:
Picks for today:

Alaphilippe, Valverde, Wellens
Teuns, Matthews

7 points! well played

You should come around more often! 14 points from just two races (Roubaix and Wallonne). Would probably pull an Alaphilippe on the rest of us if you submitted more picks
McNulty wrote:

Uran, Teuns, Henao, Barguil, Matthews, who also caught a bad break last week and was clearly sandbagging in pre race interviews, which I liked.

The Boz is the sentimental pick. Nice kid, another USA Bontrager development team product. And Wellens but a lot of mid week climbing for him to not get popped off.

1 point

dsmallwood wrote:
I think these last few races will be more open than the "harder" cobbled rides. and I find it telling that Phil is not listed for either races this week. I think he was all in on the early rides. its a shame it didn't happen. anyway, I am in for the Fleche. and i'll probably use these for LBL unless someone really shows up.

VALVERDE
ALAPHILIPPE
BARDET

MATTHEWS
GASPAROTTO

5 points

noodle_soup wrote:
Picks for Fleche Wallonne

Alaphillippe
Wellens
Henao

Gilbert, Matthews

5 points

echappist wrote:

it's one of those hold your nose and pick sort of deals

Valverde, Martin, Alaphilippe
Henao and Teuns

4 points

heyMartin wrote:
gots to go with Valverde but other choices are just darts

Valverde, Bardet, Izagirre G
Kwia, Barguil

2 points

ClayDavis wrote:
Given Valverde's history here and the form he seems to be in, I can't bring myself not to pick him for this one. But I'll temper my distaste by putting hometown hero Rusty Woods on the podium. His form is pretty questionable right now, but he's always seemed well suited to this race, so maybe this year he'll manage to get on the podium.

Valverde, Alaphillipe, Woods
Teuns, Matthews

5 points

Carl Spackler wrote:
Agree on Valverde, tough to look past him with what he showed at Amstel and how much the Fleche finish suits him.
Valverde, Alaphilippe, Gasparatto
Teuns, Matthews

Bowsell for sentimental pick.

5 points
Last edited by: echappist: Apr 18, 18 7:45
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Super ride by Alaphilippe. I'm even happier he could hold off Valverde.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ouch............Matthews is a very consistent rider
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Super ride by Alaphilippe. I'm even happier he could hold off Valverde.

if Valverde caught Alaphillipe I'd be screaming, J'accuse! J'accuse!...............nice to see him be 38, sort of
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Tri_Joeri wrote:
Picks for today:

Alaphilippe, Valverde, Wellens
Teuns, Matthews

7 points! well played

You should come around more often! 14 points from just two races (Roubaix and Wallonne). Would probably pull an Alaphilippe on the rest of us if you submitted more picks

Thanks! I forgot to send my picks for some races unfortunately, I didn't think I'd do this well either.. All the more reason to keep playing until all the classics are finished!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
its going to be a nice day in Liege. maybe some showers at the finish. I am therefore going with the predictable picks. its Valverde until he tells us otherwise. Alaphilippe will put in a good ride, ditto Kwia, but that only means that they'll see Piti cross the line. I would LOVE to see Nibs or Phil take a flyer and I think both are crazy enough to try, but they will be marked.

Valverde
Alaphilippe
Kwiatkowski

Gilbert
Nibali

thanks for a good season echappist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LBL.

Martin, Gilbert, Mathews
Kreuziger, Valgren
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i hate going with favorites all the time so once again throwing darts on the wall
Bardet, Moser, Valverde
Mathhews, Ion Izagirre
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [heyMartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
heyMartin wrote:
i hate going with favorites all the time so once again throwing darts on the wall
Bardet, Moser, Valverde
Mathhews, Ion Izagirre

nice picks.............thanks, Echap for hosting, this was fun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
heyMartin wrote:
Bardet, Moser, Valverde
Mathhews, Ion Izagirre

nice picks.............thanks, Echap for hosting, this was fun

you are welcome; great to have a group of folks to banter with, and thanks to all who participated! Maybe i'll get on with the times and look into Velogames next year

this is the highest participation in the thread going all the way back to 2013; well done, guys!

i'm thinking

Alaphilippe, Valverde, Nibali
Matthews Bardet

Nibali would dearly like to win this one. He was sooooooo close in 2012. That moment when one get reeled in on the finishing hill, I think any racer who's rolled the dice only to get dragged back can commiserate. The weekend afterward, I rolled the dice and appeared to be on track to finish on the podium, only to be overhauled 600m from the line on the uphill finish. Just like that, kaput, nothing more left in the legs to give; forget about effort at 120% FTP, I was having issue with generating 90%... A potential 2nd or 3rd place all the way down to 13th. That one stung. I hope he can pull a special one and bag this.

Funny that I used to like races with uphill finishes (both for spectating and in my own racing), but the more I think about it, the more I find them to be trite and boring. Organizers at Amstel did a great job by making the finale easier, but placing the hardest obstacle at more than 10km out. Still helped to make it a selective race, but now people aren't getting penalized for going early (Wellens at 2016 Amstel comes to mind). I look forward to when Liege reverts back to a flat finish in Liege proper.
Last edited by: echappist: Apr 20, 18 14:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ditto. this was a fun season. I always watch, but this was the first year I made picks all the way through. I really enjoyed the banter and the insights.

the TdF, the Giro, etc, those are great events. the best man wins the war of attrition. but these one-days, these are human drama. watching someone hang it out there, a solo effort from 10K, 20K, 30K ... that's amazing. and yes, watching them get reeled in by the bunch with a few 100m to go .... whooof.

thanks everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Impressed that Vanendert came back from the dead (ie his 2017) to have a really strong Ardennes season. Would he have been able to win Fleche if he was being led out instead leading Wellens? Probably not, but it would've been interesting to see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes thanks for setting this up again. it's been a joy to participate and out think myself with picks :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
most exciting racing of the year, and i count on you guys each year to help me sort out whats what and whos who heading into the summer. I always learn a lot from this thread, how many years has it been now? great stuff guys, thank you!

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was thinking the other day that this is quite possibly the most civil post in ST history. Sad that the end of spring classics is upon us but thanks for organizing.

Alaphilippe, Valverde, Matthews
Nibali, Gilbert
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Picks for LBL:

Alaphilippe, Valverde, Bardet
Izagirre, Benoot

Would be exciting to see if Benoot can compete, being on the heavier side of the peleton. But for some reason I'd put him above Wellens this weekend..
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
was thinking the other day that this is quite possibly the most civil post in ST history

LMAO, take it over here buddy!!!
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dsmallwood wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

was thinking the other day that this is quite possibly the most civil post in ST history

LMAO, take it over here buddy!!!

Truth. Hope we can keep spitballin' and bantering through the GT's etc.

Nice seeing lots of Yanks in the race- Larry Warbasse, Benny King, the Boz, Craddock, Howes, Rosskopf, Haga (doing the work, always). I see Joey Rosskopf in the break.

Hard not to pick Alaphilippe, Valverde. I think QS will ride hard for Gilbert as at 35 his season and really nice run is over and he's been a good team guy for them. Would love to see him, Wellens, maybe Woods get away but unlikely although I sure don't see Wellens or PG waiting around. They're going to go long-ish.

Martin, Kreuziger
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for organizing this. Nice to be able to chat with fans of cycling.

Like someone else mentioned, it would be nice to continue the talk through the GTs.

Dumoulin is racing Liege, curious to see how he does.

My picks for La Doyenne.

Alaphilippe, Benoot, Kreuziger
Matthews, Nibali
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Hard not to pick Alaphilippe, Valverde. I think QS will ride hard for Gilbert as at 35 his season and really nice run is over and he's been a good team guy for them. Would love to see him, Wellens, maybe Woods get away but unlikely although I sure don't see Wellens or PG waiting around. They're going to go long-ish.

Martin, Kreuziger

This is pretty close to what I'm thinking. Alaphilippe looked super strong in the Basque country, and his win in Fleche Wallonne was pretty decisive. I think Matthews is on great form too - I'm hoping for a good Green Jersey battle between him and Peto at La Tour. Valverde is obviously a contender... but maybe he's finally appearing mortal in the Ardennes.

So...

Alaphilippe, Matthews, Valverde
Kreuziger, Wellens
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was my first season watching the classics and while I didn’t participate, I did check this thread several times per week and thoroughly enjoyed it! Looking forward to next year!
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i left Nibs off, but i think he's going to light it up....just betting he gets caught
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I forgot to get picks in for Fleche; kin hav xtras 2day? ;^>

Valverde, Alaphillippe, Martin

Valgren, Gilbert
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
i left Nibs off, but i think he's going to light it up....just betting he gets caught

Yeah, Vinnie is bound to lob a grenade at some point and I'm looking forward to it!

It would be awesome to see him win, and you know he wants to add a 3rd Monument to his tally. But there aren't that many scenarios where he can win, especially given his team.
Quote Reply

Prev Next