Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
echappist wrote:
PSA: E3 Harelbeke is Friday, followed by Gent Wevelgem on Sunday, and Dwars the following Wednesday. Make sure to load up on your beer for the following Sunday

Been noodling over here. I'm considering taking some flyers with some dark horsish picks here and there. Pretty interesting odds on certain guys and if you really know the parcourse and the weather and the peloton politics, there seem to be some reasonable 10/1 and up propositions. I'm not gonna get too cray, like as much as I appreciate the angry mashing pedal stroke of Damien Gaudin, the human steam engine, I'm probably not going to pick him, though he has done well at PR. But I will take one top fave and then go with riders from about 10/1 and up. Like I said, dark horse "ish". Guys with a real shot though maybe second tier.

where do you get the odds? they aren't provided in my local paper.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get them from William Hill, a UK betting site.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a cobbled classic, so 100% odds for awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
It's a cobbled classic, so 100% odds for awesome.

Word. They just go racin all over the damn place, in sketchy weather, through alleys, over rocks. Mid week, Friday, Sunday, whatever. People drink a lot of good beer. It’s cool. Once I get really old, I’m going over just to wander around for a month. No Sportifs. Hope money doesn’t fuck it up before then. Like, 2 years from now. Tops.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, screw the Tour. You can go over there now and see 3 classics with a monument kicker in a week and change, all while drinking gallons of beer. That’s the ticket.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to start training this summer for the Belgian beer next March. Gotta start slow, lay down a good base.

I couldn't find any odds on E3 so for my "duh" pick I'll take....

Sagan.

then
Benoot, Naesen, van Baarle, Langeveld

first two are not very dark horses...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sagan, Vanmarcke, Benoot,
Stybar and Naessen

Perhaps GvA could prove us all wrong, but I doubt it
Last edited by: echappist: Mar 22, 18 9:39
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My picks for E3 (trying to go a little off the beaten path):

Vanmarcke, Benoot, Kristoff

Trentin, Matthews
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Sagan, Vanmarcke, Benoot,
Stybar and Naessen

Perhaps GvA could prove us all wrong, but I doubt it

I'm just not a GvA guy but I think he's going to win a lot again starting this week or next. Can't see why not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He was off form in Het Nieuwsblad, having the likes of Vanmarcke blast past him on a hill. Then nondescript in Italy...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps if he's going for the Ronde, but sure has looked off form in past couple races. Though the same can be said of Sagan not showing much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm not real sure about tomorrow. i think Sagan is going for PR, GVA for RvV, and Gilbert for both / either. so .....

Tiesj Benoot
Peter Sagan
Jasper Stuyven

Arnaud Demare
Niki Terpstra
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For E3 I'm saying:

Sagan, Stybar, Benoot
Stuyven, Durbridge
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
E3

Sagan, GVA, Stybar
Moscon and Naesen
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
E3
Sagan, Vanmarcke, Naesen
Colbrelli, Valgren
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm putting in my GW picks early as I think I will be OOT. I'm figuring on a sprinter's day. and Sagan. always Sagan.

Oliver Naesen
Arnaud DĂ©mare
Peter Sagan

Alexander Kristoff
Matteo Trentin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
E3

Kristoff
GvA
Sagan

Vanmarcke
Stybar

Edit: Ooh, think I missed the start of the race with these picks, so feel free to invalidate me. But I promise I had no idea of the race situation when I made them.
Last edited by: trail: Mar 23, 18 6:49
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
E3

Kristoff
GvA
Sagan

Vanmarcke
Stybar

Edit: Ooh, think I missed the start of the race with these picks, so feel free to invalidate me. But I promise I had no idea of the race situation when I made them.

Your entry will be entered.

------------------------------------

All the people we expect to be at the front are at the front with ~65km left. Only rider missing is Vanmarcke, who's frantically chasing; also missing is Eurosport coverage, and I'm having to tunnel to Belgium.

QS looks strong here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
QS might run away from this... Terpstra and Lampaert leading the race with a 30 second gap to a second group containing Gilbert and Stybar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anybody find a vid feed?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [Ken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wtf is Gilbert doing here? Attacking from 3rd group with Benoot in tow to chase GvA, while 2 QS riders are at the front? GvA was never going to catch those two...

and Sagan is being a bit too cute here...
Last edited by: echappist: Mar 23, 18 8:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be surprised if Sagan can make up the current gap. there is too much firepower out front. it is amazing how strong the QS squad is for the spring classics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
wtf is Gilbert doing here? Attacking from 3rd group with Benoot in tow to chase GvA, while 2 QS riders are at the front? GvA was never going to catch those two...

QS in a super strong position overall. Let's see if they can dig deep and manage to screw it up.

Gilbert has dialed down this chasing, at least.
Last edited by: trail: Mar 23, 18 8:39
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
echappist wrote:

QS in a super strong position overall. Let's see if they can dig deep and manage to screw it up.

Gilbert has dialed down this chasing, at least.

tbf, Gilbert stopped contributing once Benoot made the junction, but it seems that QS is just a loose organization of sole proprietors, and the strong riders don't mind sticking it to their teammates if given the opportunity. All that extra pushing Terpstra did on the hills, only to slack and have Lampaert come back; that's just futility in terms of riding a good TTT.
Quote Reply

Prev Next