Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJ56 wrote:
How about a 2 year suspension and 100 hours of volunteer services at races?
For her 100 hours as a volunteer, she could be assigned to patrol the transition area making sure no one is letting air out of another athlete's tires?

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [rodchaves31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rodchaves31 wrote:
I'm very surprised that we're still falling for these fake apologies. I'm sorry but ...<snip>

Heh. ;)

Carry on...
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [badgertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The obvious implication was that there might have been some foul play with tire pressure in that race as well. I'm not looking for her to lay out all her life-long transgressions but if this is not the first time she has done something like this she needs to be banned for life...no matter what her apology says. //

I suspect that there is a lot more to her checkered history than we know, and it was not impulsive. Impulsive is when a friend of mine flats on a two loop bike course while leading a race, takes 10 minutes to fix, then just decides to jump back in on the 2nd loop where he was on the first one and continue the race like nothing happened. He did not plan this, but in the spur of the moment he chose not to do the right thing, competition does that to some people. Their brains don't work like ours do and justification comes in many forms. This gals is the worst and she just needs to be out of sport at this level.

As for the eating disorder, I have known a ton of ladies with this, some were pro triathletes who never came close to making a bad decision in regards to race morality. It is an obvious loose wire in the brain somewhere, but one does not have to lead to the other. But I can see someone who just has never really played by the rules or gone with the flow just making really bad decisions at every junction where their choices.

Let's just hope that whatever help she seeks goes to the root of the problem, if it were AA she would be failing miserably at this point..
Last edited by: monty: Jun 22, 17 10:42
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
For her 100 hours as a volunteer, she could be assigned to patrol the transition area making sure no one is letting air out of another athlete's tires?

She could be assigned to inflate the tires of the community trash trucks with a floor pump

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Compared to so many who never admit, I give her big kudo's for standing up and taking ownership. We can all make mistakes in life and we all struggle to find the reasons why, since no one ever thinks they are a bad person.

I wish her the best of luck dealing with the demons she is struggling with.

Very well said
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Compared to so many who never admit, I give her big kudo's for standing up and taking ownership.

x2

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
How's this: "She intentionally attempted to undermine months of hard training the other athlete did."

I agree that she had no intent to cause physical harm to the other athlete (although there is a small chance that her actions could have done that). But what she 100% had intent to do, was to undermine the other athlete's months of hard training and sacrifice. And when you think about the countless hours that you have to put into bike training to gain, say, 5 minutes on the bike in a 70.3, to have that ruined by a competitor deflating your tire pressure is really upsetting to think about.
100% agree. In my mind there is a huge distinction between this situation and a cheat - course cutter, PED user, etc. - where the direct impact on me and my race is I may get bumped down in the standings. When you cross the line and someone is proven to have intentionally sabotaged or attempted to sabotage a competitor's race, then the penalty must be swift and severe to send a clear message to everyone that you pull this crap then you are gone for a very long time if not forever.

I appreciate that she has apologized, but it shouldn't mitigate the penalty for this particular type of offence.
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
Herbert wrote:
"I was under so much pressure to perform"

Being under pressure to perform means you do bad things purely related to yourself (doping, course cutting etc.) but doing something to another athlete has nothing to do with your own performance. Shame on her!

I thought being under pressure to perform and win the sprint to T1 at Kona you beat up on Frodo during the final 100m sprint LOL! Of course you actually have to swim fast enough to be able to beat up on Frodo 100m from T1.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TJ56 wrote:
Glad to read she confessed and is seeking help to become a better person. Agree that she should still have to serve a penalty.

How about a 2 year suspension and 100 hours of volunteer services at races?

100 hours of volunteering for a "for-profit" business?
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a nobody and my opinion wont change anything. I'm not going to judge her apology and the validity of it by what others who have broken rules and were caught said and did. each of those aren't related to this. Ask yourself this, what does a real apology look like?

I don't now her and I don't know what her issues are or her reasons were. I have played football at a very high level when I was younger. There was a culture of what could you get away with. Some things I participated in, some I did not. Did stuff happen that could hurt others, yes. Right, no but the way it was. I wanted win, winning became all I wanted. It took years to turn off the win at almost all costs mentality. If I was willing to have done more, would the show have continued to a more lucrative thing or more prestige? I don't know. I do wonder what could have been or did I make the best choice. I just have to live with it because I cant change it. I'm glad my life wasn't consumed to that point where I did something I would regret 15 years later. I easily could have been and I cant tell you why I didn't do more. I promise it wasn't the potential punishment, I really don't know what kept me from making the other choices.

I have seen many in the papers and friends be consumed with more, the pursuit of that destroyed them. One day they will regret it or already do after they realized their error. More speed, more strength, more money, more prestige. Its addictive having the pat on the back.

I don't think she should be banned for life, I don't know how long she should be in trouble. She could have hurt someone and that's never cool. I did things that were against the rules that could have hurt someone. Chop blocks, clipping, blind side hits. Sometimes I was penalized many I wasn't. Yet, the fans cheered and I was patted on the back. I don't know if any of these caused permanent damage to people. Despite all of this I'm not a bad person. This may be a 1 off thing she did. There always is the first time someone crosses the line. If the drive to do better got so much in the way that it has caused easting disorders and other mental issues I'm glad she's seeking treatment and maybe her getting caught is a gift and a blessing. I feel bad for people who let, for most of us, a really expensive hobby take over their life where they would sacrifice their health, their family, money they don't have, their friends, and their morals just to go a little faster. What an empty life to have. I don't believe in pitty but I have danced on both sides of the line. I hope she can make amends, whatever that may be, and not have the burden of carrying it forever. I have tried to right the wrongs I have done. She owes nothing to me. I hope she can find a way to be fulfilled and not be consumed by a little faster.

The good news is no one what hurt and that's a blessing, also her being caught may help her and many others by bringing a dirty little secret of the "gamesmanship" out where it can be talked about. This happens in the name of speed and most probably never consider how it can injure someone. I didn't, I just wanted to win when I was younger
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:

I was under so much pressure to perform, and I made a wrong decision, and am sincerely sorry of my actions. I don't know why I did it, and I cannot even believe I did it. I am not a horrible person, just someone that made an impulsive, bad decision, and I know that I need some serious help.

."

I'm all for her getting professional help, and I don't expect her to be fixed right away, but she's already lying again. This was not impulsive. It was calculated and premeditated. I have no reason to believe at this moment, that her apology is not just as calculated to help her regain as much of her image as possible in the face of insurmountable evidence and a story that has gone viral.

Eating disorders are serious business, and if she truly is suffering from it, then I hope she overcomes...but again...my gut tells me she's calculating again what she can include in her statement to help sway people back on her side. Because in truth, it's hard to get really upset at someone who is suffering from an eating disorder...right? Except that other than a doctor (who has patient confidentiality), who can actually verify she actually has an eating disorder?

Call me cynical...
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Re. the various "Glad she's getting help" comments.

She attempted to hurt (slow down) another competitor. She says she's getting help with her eating disorder. She apparently made no comment re. attempting to get help re. her being a shithead that would f**k over another in a heartbeat. The eating disorder has zero to do with her being a shithead. She's distracting folks with a non sequitur and folks are getting sucked into it.

For those that imagine that she's somehow getting help for being a shithead, consider the classical ideas re. guiding and modifying human behavior.....the pain and reward of incentives. Looking back at 100k yrs of communities trying to curb asshole behavior, what has the better track record......."help" or "consequences"?

It's not help that she needs.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Last edited by: RangerGress: Jun 22, 17 11:55
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
crujones#33 wrote:
The fact that she has admitted her wrongdoing, showed contrition, and is seeking help shows me a lot. If her statement is true I would be inclined to eventually welcome her back into the sport after a lengthy suspension and she is once again healthy.

x2, I do hope she gets the help she needs and wants. The suspension length should, as a minimum be the same as dopers. 4 years.

No more criminal charges? Pickforks down now?

Hey where in the above was there mention of this not endangering another person's life and being worth of a punishment in normal courts? If someone did this to a friend or family member (or even you) and that person ended up in a wheelchair (or there was a risk of that but the person did not end up maimed), it would be worthy of some sanction in normal courts outside sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [Mblanks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't, I just wanted to win when I was younger //

Your story is not unique, she is over 40 years old. Big difference, how old are you now old wise one? (-;
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
Eating disorders are serious business, and if she truly is suffering from it, then I hope she overcomes...but again...my gut tells me she's calculating again what she can include in her statement to help sway people back on her side. Because in truth, it's hard to get really upset at someone who is suffering from an eating disorder...right? Except that other than a doctor (who has patient confidentiality), who can actually verify she actually has an eating disorder?

Call me cynical...

Yeah

She claims she's been suffering from an eating disorder, but getting caught fucking with another competitor's bike is the trigger to seek help? That's fishy

Granted, we don't know if she's sought help on this issue before [and she may have, it hasn't clicked yet], but if this is the first time she's thought "Hmmmm, maybe I should get myself checked out here"

Either way, let's hope she gets better

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What does an eating disorder have to do with her cheating? I don't see the connection but rather a deflection from her cheating.
Last edited by: johnnybefit: Jun 22, 17 11:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TJ56 wrote:
.....How about a 2 year suspension and 100 hours of volunteer services at races?
I like this idea
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [alfonso132] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alfonso132 wrote:
TJ56 wrote:
.....How about a 2 year suspension and 100 hours of volunteer services at races?

I like this idea

As long as she's not allowed anywhere near the transition area...
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To: Everyone waving a pitchfork and chopping wood to burn her in a fire.

Re: Check yourself.

She cheated in order to improve her position in the race. Exactly what all of you do, however inadvertently, when you grab someone's ankle in the swim, take a slingshot, spend an extra 10 seconds in a draft, or "get caught up in a pack" at races. There is not one single person on this forum who has not done something during a race to improve their situation, so move on.

Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. Her actions in Syracuse were disgusting but I respect that she is "woman enough" to stand up and say "I did it, it was stupid, and I have no excuse". That's better than all the drug cheats who claim a "supplement" was the source of their banned substance and make all these wild excuses

Agree. She made a stupid decision and owned up to it and is now seeking help. This type of response is rare compared to the usual "I didn't know what I was taking" excuses when athletes get caught with PEDs or people like the Boston Marathon dad or Julie Miller who double-down on their claims despite evidence showing otherwise. That said, I still think that she should serve some type of ban or sanction as a consequence of her actions and hope that her treatment goes well.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:

She cheated in order to improve her position in the race. Exactly what all of you do, however inadvertently, when you grab someone's ankle in the swim, take a slingshot, spend an extra 10 seconds in a draft, or "get caught up in a pack" at races. There is not one single person on this forum who has not done something during a race to improve their situation, so move on.

Fair enough but what does an eating disorder have to do with her cheating? I don't see the connection but rather a deflection from her cheating. If she had just apologized I would receive it better., If she had said, I am getting mental help for my pathology of cheating I would receive it better. But to intimate that her actions were from an eating disorder - I don't receive it well. Still not accepting responsibility for her cheating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:

None of those things you mentioned are remotely similar to what she did.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:
I don't believe her.
This is the thing about cheaters and liars. They are willing to say anything to get out of trouble.
She may be even telling the truth but she has lost credibility and benefit of doubt.

Yah - the "despite being an accomplished athlete" bit reveals that the narcissism is still running the show.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gotta give her credit for the full admission. A big first step on her road to recovery. Good luck to her.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:

WTF?!

You really want to equate getting a slingshot (which is totally legal per the rules btw) to help your own race with INTENTIONALLY SABOTAGING ANOTHER ATHLETE'S EQUIPMENT?

You're either just trolling or a class A prick.
Quote Reply

Prev Next