Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes
Quote | Reply
I got this face book message last night from Kristen Johnson

"Please see statement below:

I was under so much pressure to perform, and I made a wrong decision, and am sincerely sorry of my actions. I don't know why I did it, and I cannot even believe I did it. I am not a horrible person, just someone that made an impulsive, bad decision, and I know that I need some serious help.

Please note that I have been accepted to an mental health facility to to be treated for an eating disorder beginning tomorrow. This incident has made me realize how much help I need, despite being an accomplished athlete. I have been hiding with this illness for a long time, and although it is no excuse for my actions, I do believe it is one of the reasons why I can't make good decisions. I do not expect to return to the sport anytime soon, although I do hope that with evidence of treatment and recovery, I will be one day race again."
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WOW. Still unbelievable to me that someone could actually go through with doing something like that. She does need some SERIOUS help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Compared to so many who never admit, I give her big kudo's for standing up and taking ownership. We can all make mistakes in life and we all struggle to find the reasons why, since no one ever thinks they are a bad person.

I wish her the best of luck dealing with the demons she is struggling with.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is a bit of a surprising fall on the sword. Certainly she needs help. IF the pressure/cause of the eating disorder was the cause of this poor decision/action then we should all wish her the best in getting her mental health back on track, and then welcome her back into our community.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The fact that she has admitted her wrongdoing, showed contrition, and is seeking help shows me a lot. If her statement is true I would be inclined to eventually welcome her back into the sport after a lengthy suspension and she is once again healthy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had family members struggle with mental illness and an eating disorder. The struggle can be profound and overwhelming. Kristen, I wish you success in your recovery.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Blog: https://swimbikerunrinserepeat.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [crujones#33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
crujones#33 wrote:
The fact that she has admitted her wrongdoing, showed contrition, and is seeking help shows me a lot. If her statement is true I would be inclined to eventually welcome her back into the sport after a lengthy suspension and she is once again healthy.

x2, I do hope she gets the help she needs and wants. The suspension length should, as a minimum be the same as dopers. 4 years.
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Compared to so many who never admit, I give her big kudo's for standing up and taking ownership. We can all make mistakes in life and we all struggle to find the reasons why, since no one ever thinks they are a bad person.

+1. No one is perfect, but realizing it is hard.
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [lordhong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't believe her.
This is the thing about cheaters and liars. They are willing to say anything to get out of trouble.
She may be even telling the truth but she has lost credibility and benefit of doubt.
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
crujones#33 wrote:

x2, I do hope she gets the help she needs and wants. The suspension length should, as a minimum be the same as dopers. 4 years.

No more criminal charges? Pickforks down now?
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess the "thought it was a friend's bike and I was just releasing air pressure for her" didn't take wings?

Kudos for taking responsibility, but this sounds alot like TigerWoods voluntary 'seeking treatment for sexual addiction'.
No way she will stay on the sidelines for long. If not tri, local 10k roadraces.
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want to believe her but I have to say I agree. The fact that she called it an "impulsive" decision shows she has a long way to to truly admitting to her problems. There was nothing impulsive about this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:
I don't believe her.
This is the thing about cheaters and liars. They are willing to say anything to get out of trouble.
She may be even telling the truth but she has lost credibility and benefit of doubt.

They generally don't admit that they did it. Which she has done. What more do you want?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

Well said, best possible outcome. I hope she figures herself out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Her apology should be accepted, but she should still face the consequences of her actions. We all need forgiveness for the things we've done wrong in our lives. I hope she finds the help she needs.
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
KingMidas wrote:
I don't believe her.

They generally don't admit that they did it. Which she has done. What more do you want?

I agree. In her statement she could either admit or deny, deny, deny. It doesn't excuse what she did, but I certainly appreciate that she admitted wrongdoing. Did Julie Miller every admit to cheating? Or the 'Boston Marathon Dad'?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
KingMidas wrote:
I don't believe her.

She knowingly jeopardized the safety of another competitor.
This was calculated and premeditated, by her own admission.

Lifetime ban from WTC/USAT.

USATF, USAC, and USS should be made aware of her.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: Jun 22, 17 6:22
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:
BLeP wrote:
KingMidas wrote:
I don't believe her.

She knowingly jeopardized the safety of another competitor.
This was calculated and premeditated, by her own admission.

Lifetime ban from WTC/USAT.

USATF, USAC, and USS should be made aware of her.

I have made no arguments about penalty. I think she should have a lengthy ban. But she admitted it, which these people never seem to do. They always double and triple down on the lies.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My thoughts exactly.......being a man or woman and owning your mistake especially after all that transpired is the first step to changing.....doesn't make the act any less heinous though. Probably still shouldn't be allowed to compete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
KingMidas wrote:
I don't believe her.

Human sacrifice.

Glad to hear she's seeking help and hope she does well with her treatment/recovery.

edit: forgot the pink
Last edited by: racehd: Jun 22, 17 6:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:
I don't believe her.

This.... +1.
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [Bruizer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bruizer wrote:
Her apology should be accepted, but she should still face the consequences of her actions. We all need forgiveness for the things we've done wrong in our lives. I hope she finds the help she needs.

x1 Admitting her actions puts her way ahead of the other cheaters who continue to deny what they did. For this reason, I truly wish her the best, but I must draw the line when it comes to welcoming her back to this sport. Forgiveness does not mean she should be able to race again and there are many other activities in life to which she can apply her talents. I am sticking with my position that she should be banned for life.
Quote Reply
Re: Syracuse "deflater" admits and apologizes [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
I want to believe her but I have to say I agree. The fact that she called it an "impulsive" decision shows she has a long way to to truly admitting to her problems. There was nothing impulsive about this.

x2. She damn well knew who's bike she was messing with (a former pro that was probably the toughest competitor in her AG). I also don't buy the "pressure to perform" line. Who's pressuring her? This is an amateur sport. It's not like she's 15 or 16 competing as an amateur trying to land a college scholarship or work her way into pro racing.

I'm still in favor of a lifetime ban from the sport.
Quote Reply

Prev Next