Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

who does 8 X 8oz?
Quote | Reply
I'm preparing a 10-12 minute speech on why everyone should drink 64 oz of water daily for my speech class and I realized that I probally exceed drinking that much daily, not even if you count my 3 glasses of skim milk daily- and this led me to wonder- do all of you hit your 8x8??? When i'm at less than 32oz I feel dehydrated. It's amazing what the water is supposed to do for you in terms of health...
Last edited by: trigirl621: Nov 4, 04 13:23
Quote Reply
Re: who does 8 X 8oz? [trigirl621] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind that 8x8 is for a sedentary person. My guess is that 90% of us walk around in a dehydrated state. Something to think about... For me, on my best days, I drink 3-4 Nalgenes, about 96-126 oz. Of course this doesn't include the water intake during my swim sessions. ;-)

Mike Ricci
2017 USAT World Team Coach
USAT National Coach of the Year
Coaching Triathletes since 1992.
Quote Reply
Re: who does 8 X 8oz? [Mike Ricci] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay-

I now realize that I need to rephrase my question-

How MUCH do you all drink and proportion of it is water/sports drink/ coffee/juice/soda/milk?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I pee clear a lot, except for that damn Vit B and C supplement...I think I drink at least 4 of my 20oz. water bottles, so that would put me at closer 10 x 8oz. Plus pool water...

To reply to the trigirl's edit; the 4 x 20oz. are water only.

Usually 3-4 12oz. glasses per day of Soy / Regular Milk

Usually 1 12oz. glass of OJ.

And 2-4 20 oz. bottles of gatorade/cytomax/EPO...

No wonder I pee so much...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Last edited by: Rappstar: Nov 4, 04 13:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I drink water only.

Mike Ricci
2017 USAT World Team Coach
USAT National Coach of the Year
Coaching Triathletes since 1992.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do about 16 oz when I wake up, another 16oz during/after my ride or run, 3 x 32oz per day at the office, then probably an additional 32 oz in the evening with dinner & before bed. That's 160 ounces total and if I go much under that I start to feel dehydrated (dry mouth, headache, bright yellow liquid emissions (sorry)...

I've also been supplementing my hydration with Oktoberfest editions from Harpoon & Samual Adams lately, these give me some good carbs at night.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure I buy that 8x8oz business. Everyone will have different requirements depending on salt intake, sweat loss, etc....

If you're peeing clear to light yellow, you're fine.

3+ gallons of water a day...

some occasional milk. . .

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\_____ O-O>

houstonadventureracing.com (H.A.R.T.)
houstonracing.com (Houston TriClub )
Quote Reply
Re: who does 8 X 8oz? [Bily Lovec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
3+ gallons of water a day...

!!!!!!!!

You live in the Sahara? ;)

You've found one of my pet peeves, which isn't all that hard considering the sheer number of them.

Don't come to some semi-random quantity and then drink exactly that much. Drink until you urinate clear and copious every 2-3 hours. If you have to go more than that, you are drinking too much. Going less than every 2-3 hours and you are probably dehydrated (or dancing around on one foot)

To directly answer your question, in the off season I probably hit around 64 oz but I don't measure it. During the season and especially summer where the heat index commonly exceeds 100 I drink as much as I can (2 gallons +/-) and will still often be dehydrated. I alternate Gatorade and water. Regardless of the time of year I drink 2 cups of milk every day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm on the road a good portion of the time with my job. When I'm not, I'm posting on Slowtwitch.

Because I'm on the road so much, I have to time my hydration activity to coincide with freeway rest areas or Speedway gas stations, corn fields work too.

I actually probably do more like 3x32 give or take.
Quote Reply
Re: who does 8 X 8oz? [jhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I'm not sure I buy that 8x8oz business. Everyone will have different requirements depending on salt intake, sweat ..."

I'm with you. From what I gather it came from data on water consumption by healthy people. These people were...guess what...exercising more than everyone else. So!....they were.....guess what.....drinking more than anyone else.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: who does 8 X 8oz? [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
During hard training I usually go through at least 1.5 gallon of water/gatorade/lemonade, and a gallon of milk. During these slow months (Nov-Dec) it is only about 3/4 gallon of water/gatorade/lemonade, and a gallon of milk. Sometimes it is less if I am to lazy to get up and get something to drink. I usually have three 32oz containers at my desk in various states of fill.

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

"If you have a body, you are an athlete." -Bill Bowerman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How MUCH do you all drink and proportion of it is water/sports drink/ coffee/juice/soda/milk?

-------------------------------------------

Daily amounts:

Water : 2 litres

sports drink/amino replacement drink : 500ml - 1 litre

coffee : 2 large cups of caffienated, 1 of decaf

juice : only occasionally

soda : none

milk : none (I drink Soy)
Quote Reply
Re: who does 8 X 8oz? [Mike Ricci] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
funny as soon as I started reading this thread the first thought that went thru my head was: how many OZs are in that big Nalgene bottle I shlep around on my backpack everyday...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
do all of you hit your 8x8?

I don't monitor my intake that carefully, but I'm sure that most days I get more than 64 oz of water. In the morning I start off with coffee, than most days I have a bottle of water with me that I drink from regularly. It's 20 oz, and it gets re-filled several times during the course of a work day. When I get home I'll have a glass of milk sometimes with dinner, or desert, and often have a glass of pepsi at night.

I was interested to here awhile back that researchers might be changing their minds about caffeinated drinks like coffee- now they think they should count towards one's daily fluid intake- anyone know more about that?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i drink whatever you tell me to drink, because you rock.

http://www.theninjadon.blogspot.com

"The bicycle riders drank much wine, and were burned and browned by the sun. They did not take the race seriously except among themselves." -- Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
average daily fluids

coffee 24-48 oz

soda 0

juice 0

milk 8-12 oz

H2O 64-128 oz depending on training volume or work level. ( I have an actual physical type job)

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Interesting Article [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am very often way under that, even during big training days...I seem to never get thirsty until it's too late. I could go for 5hrs on the bike in the summer here, with 2 bottles of water...

but then no wonder I get sick and get kidney stones... :-(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From what I've read this whole 8x8 thing is baloney, dating from some research in the 50s when scientists worked out typical water consumption per day. Thing is, that consumption included ALL water, not just from fluid but also solid foods (that can contain a lot of water). Later on the data was misinterpreted as having been a recommendation of solely water consumption.

Mild dehydration isn't such a big deal anyway - humans have evolved to operate in a mildly dehydrated state.
Quote Reply
Re: who does 8 X 8oz? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I've read, it seems like they are saying that 1 cup of coffee = 2/3 cup of water, and it can count for more if you are used to the caffiene levels that are in the coffee thus resulting in lesser absorption. They also have changed their thinking in that foods can be helpful in getting your water- ie. cucumbers, celery and iceberg are all at 95%, oranges 87% water, but how many cucs can you eat in a day?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
water is water, no matter what it's in
Quote Reply