Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

recommendations for FTP Build plan - m55, 10yr multisport, underdeveloped FTP
Quote | Reply
What generic training plan or TrainingPeaks package would you recommend for a male 55 with 10 years of multisport, and a bike FTP limiter?

Constraints :
-between 6-8h per week available
-program between 8-12 weeks
-outdoor or indoor training possible
-don't have a smart trainer
-experience training with power

Suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: recommendations for FTP Build plan - m55, 10yr multisport, underdeveloped FTP [Newnormal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I can get the conversation going on this. I wouldn't expect to get much of an answer on Sunday. Perhaps you can bump the thread Monday morning.

How is your power at FTP compared to your power at VO2max? Is your power at VO2max more or less than 115% of your FTP?
Quote Reply
Re: recommendations for FTP Build plan - m55, 10yr multisport, underdeveloped FTP [Newnormal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can’t comment on a plan but you do need a smart trainer in my opinion.
I’m not following a plan and have a few years on you but I got a smart trainer (bike) and it makes a difference in my overall cycling performance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would suggest TrainerRoad. It would check all of your boxes.
Quote Reply
Re: recommendations for FTP Build plan - m55, 10yr multisport, underdeveloped FTP [Constantine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Constantine wrote:
I can’t comment on a plan but you do need a smart trainer in my opinion.
I’m not following a plan and have a few years on you but I got a smart trainer (bike) and it makes a difference in my overall cycling performance.

Nobody needs a smart trainer if they are already able to train indoors and are experienced training with power.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Newnormal wrote:
What generic training plan or TrainingPeaks package would you recommend for a male 55 with 10 years of multisport, and a bike FTP limiter?

Constraints :

Suggestions?

I would also ask what your goals are, as they are crucial in figuring out the best approach. You have said FTP is a limiter....in what way? What races do you have planned for the future that you want to improve your bike for?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Newnormal wrote:

Constraints :

Suggestions?

I am 59 and have been racing triathlon for 9 years-including Team USA long course and IM 70.3 worlds. There are hundreds of reasonable answers...I'd like more info...but it seems like you do believe the bike is a limiting factor and requires a bike focus and a 3 month interval is quite reasonable-especially in this environment.

what distance multi-sport? sprint/oly is very different than long course...

what is your weight? current ftp?

when is the next (planned) race?

what was your best IF (Intensity factor-actual normalized power for the race/FTP) during your race and what was your ftp for that race?

can you handle two or three 'hard workouts' per week?

are you planning on continuing with S/R also during the bike focus?
Quote Reply
Re: recommendations for FTP Build plan - m55, 10yr multisport, underdeveloped FTP [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why are people asking about distance? 12 weeks takes us into December, well before any race specific training needed for a race in early spring.
Quote Reply
Re: recommendations for FTP Build plan - m55, 10yr multisport, underdeveloped FTP [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Why are people asking about distance? 12 weeks takes us into December, well before any race specific training needed for a race in early spring.

Are you assuming the OP is based in the Northern Hemisphere?
Surely there is also a major difference in what should be done (granted numerous different approaches) to target a sprint vs olympic vs HIM vs IM.....??
Quote Reply
Re: recommendations for FTP Build plan - m55, 10yr multisport, underdeveloped FTP [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
to the OP

I'll give you what I do-HIM focus now for the past few years...6 hrs/week, minimum on the bike-if able; and I do 'race specific' training year round--this is very different base week than what I did for my 'year of sprints' or the years I was training for IM (but I'm done with that due to age and time constrictions). Always adjusted for my schedule for life and some weeks have 4 hrs and others 8.

Consistency of training is the most important thing overall.

I enjoy zwift racing as it pushed me to hold hard paces better. If you like to look at a line and hold power, TR is a wonderful option. I have liked Matt Fitzgerald's workouts in his 'Week by week' Training guide as a general guide with modifications thrown in. I try to get 2-3 harder* workouts weekly-one midweek and once on the weekend but will take multiple easy days, if my body needs it.

My usual week:

*Su-1hr variable; zwift race @ 0.90 (Oly pace) or steady group ride ~0.80 IF or EZ if needed
M-30 min recovery <0.50 (often <0.40)
Tu-off
*W-1 hours; 20-30 min w/u then 20-30 min zwift race @ >1.00 (lately Crit City)
or v02max intervals-ie 3-5 x 3-5 min @ 1.10 or variation
or sweet spot long intervals 4x10min or 2x20 @ 0.90-0.95
Th-30 min recovery
F-1 hr-variable; outside with some sprints or fast miles or zwift and hit some KOM's/sprints
*Sat-2hrs steady @ ~0.80 (usually Zsun Base Builder)
or sweet spot intervals with long w/u and c/d

It is certain that improving the bike is critical, especially if it's a limiter and you want to improve your time in triathlon since the majority of the time in the race is on the bike. I like multi-pace training but I have done 2 month blocks of just vo2max or sweet spot. I found that boring, even though you can definitely improve a lot that way.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can also use Xert and then set your plan ramp rate to aggressive or extreme.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: recommendations for FTP Build plan - m55, 10yr multisport, underdeveloped FTP [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amnesia wrote:
jaretj wrote:

Are you assuming the OP is based in the Northern Hemisphere?
Surely there is also a major difference in what should be done (granted numerous different approaches) to target a sprint vs olympic vs HIM vs IM.....??

Because the OP said they wanted a FTP build plan, didn't specifically say where they were from (which everyone in the southern hemisphere does) and 80% of the people here are in the northern hemisphere. I think it's a pretty good assumption.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to raise your bike FTP, then you will either need to do huge volume and/or threshold intervals. For example, do a 4-5 hour ride at endurance pace on the weekend and perhaps 2x20' intervals near 100% FTP during the week. Might want to check out the Flanagan FTP Plan here: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?post=2932430. A smart trainer is not necessary to do these.
Quote Reply
Re: recommendations for FTP Build plan - m55, 10yr multisport, underdeveloped FTP [mkleive] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mkleive wrote:
I would suggest TrainerRoad. It would check all of your boxes.

+1

TR or Sufferfest. Get on a structured training plan. My best gains have been riding six days / week, loosely an hour each. Three hard, three recovery. I was using the old Sufferfest 4 Week Build on TR but it's not there anymore. Not sure if it's available on Sufferfest or not. But it was a guaranteed +5 to 10W every 4 weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try the TR plan builder:

https://www.trainerroad.com/plan-builder

It is free to look, input dates and see what workouts they prescribe. They also have the option to do each workout outside.

If you still want to swim and run select the tri plans (3-4 bike workouts a week). If you want to focus on bike maybe try the TT plan (5-6 bike workouts a week)
Quote Reply
Re: recommendations for FTP Build plan - m55, 10yr multisport, underdeveloped FTP [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Maybe I can get the conversation going on this. I wouldn't expect to get much of an answer on Sunday. Perhaps you can bump the thread Monday morning.

How is your power at FTP compared to your power at VO2max? Is your power at VO2max more or less than 115% of your FTP?

thx. I'll be testing this week and will run the numbers through WKO. I expect I'm far less than 115% v02 max. (however, my run v02 / LT paces seem to line up)

To the other questions ... this is an off-season project, but will eventually be for two hilly HIMs in 2021. probably between now and December.

I'm in the pacific NW.

Has anyone used TP / Hunter Allen FTP build plans? feedback on those?
Quote Reply