Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: pandemic: has anyone just stopped training? [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely not! I'm a teacher and my school, as well as those of my kids and my wife (also a teacher), is closed for at least the next two weeks. In all likelihood the gym where I swim will close, but I plan on training probably even more than I've been doing (now that I don't have work for the next 2+ weeks). I'll definitely use my swim bands quite a bit to try hanging on to swim fitness, and will probably turn my swim 'time' into more run and bike volume.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I certainly felt low and felt like throwing in the towel.
That said, I went for a trail run away from everything and it sparked a small desire to return...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been doing about the same as always.

But, starting Monday, the pool will be closed until at least April 6th. So no swim training for a few weeks. I'll probably do more on the bike, for the fun of it if nothing else.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:
I know you're all studs who run 101/100, and each and every one of you live deep and suck out all the marrow of life. We get it.

But honestly ā€¦ how many of us just kinda said "ah, screw it" and called it in over the last few days?

haha.....The stupid 100/100 ends and I was going to go back on a big swim build and start some more riding and now the city closed all public facilities till April 5th so that parents don't take their kids there during the school shutdown.

So my plan to back off on the running and swim a ton is toast.

Its back to running. But I mainly just train to train and end up racing as a fallout from enjoying doing a lot of training. So I am going to be running, biking, using the rowing machine and lifting weights solo for the next while!

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: pandemic: has anyone just stopped training? [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ryanppax wrote:
I'm deep into a marathon build. In the last month I have needed to sacrific other swims/riding just to manage the load. Marathon is for April 5, and If it gets rescheduled I probably will just drop it. I gained the run fitness I needed from it anyway. I need to get back to full load of bike and swim for Eagleman....if that doesnt get moved too

Iā€™m signed up for eagle man and plan to keep training. However my swim options are likely to be limited, which Iā€™m not too happy about. What is the likelihood that the race goes forward as scheduled?
Quote Reply
Re: pandemic: has anyone just stopped training? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No Training is my stress relief. I will stop going to my local Y for weights. I can do some at home with free weights and resistance bands. Keep riding outside spring is coming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I work in finance as a portfolio manager and am signed up for both Oceanside and Florida 70.3. Between work stress, added hours, and expecting my races to be canceled or postponed, I missed several workouts and had my diet completely collapse this week. Since I'm not racing in April, I guess it's fine . . . will try to pick it back up next week, hopefully markets cooperate.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Last edited by: ericlambi: Mar 13, 20 16:31
Quote Reply
Re: pandemic: has anyone just stopped training? [jellybelly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last 2 weeks have been really difficult to train. Iā€™m expecting gulf coast 70.3 to get postponed. So tomorrow morning Iā€™m going on a fun group ride outside instead of doing 2 hours of over/unders on the trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: pandemic: has anyone just stopped training? [Tri.Tony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri.Tony wrote:
Ryanppax wrote:
I'm deep into a marathon build. In the last month I have needed to sacrific other swims/riding just to manage the load. Marathon is for April 5, and If it gets rescheduled I probably will just drop it. I gained the run fitness I needed from it anyway. I need to get back to full load of bike and swim for Eagleman....if that doesnt get moved too

Iā€™m signed up for eagle man and plan to keep training. However my swim options are likely to be limited, which Iā€™m not too happy about. What is the likelihood that the race goes forward as scheduled?

couldn't say but I got all my eggs in this race. But my april marathon was cancelled. Almost relieved because I can now pick up swim and bike volume. I don't care about the marathon particularly anyway, it was just a means to train my run and it worked. raced a 10k 1:40 faster than last year at the same race.

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: pandemic: has anyone just stopped training? [TJP_SBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm praying May is far enough along that maybe we'll all have a firm grasp on the situation. GC is one of my favorite races and I'll be a little devastated if it's cancelled.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am thinking of shutting down for a month and just training whenever I feel like it.

Realistically I am not racing til at least July. Pools are closed, it is raining like a mfer... I just had an injury filled build for the LA marathon which was miraculously NOT cancelled... and now I feel like maybe it is time to give my body some rest.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first race after s 10 year break just got called off a couple hours ago.
F@#$ it. I'm just going to do a self supported 70.3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:
I know you're all studs who run 101/100, and each and every one of you live deep and suck out all the marrow of life. We get it.

But honestly ā€¦ how many of us just kinda said "ah, screw it" and called it in over the last few days?

Training is much more rewarding than racing. Racing is just the icing on the cake so why would one stop training. Dial it back a bit maybe. Or train for a single sport race that is a few months out. It could be fun.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:

We have been working from home in hong kong for two months and as a result have been training more
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:

Mostly train and race the odd time so its business as usual.

Plan last year was to do first 70.3 in Puerto Rico 2020. Just starting taper for a marathon last October ended up in a bike accident and spent 8 weeks out (in hospital for one week) Started running again for 100/100. Managed 80/100 or something but feeling a lot better now. Every cloud and all that so might get to do PR 70.3 when rescheduled.
Quote Reply
Re: pandemic: has anyone just stopped training? [ironmatt85] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
šŸ‘ The active form of social distancing
Last edited by: Flemish Arrow: Mar 14, 20 0:32
Quote Reply
Re: pandemic: has anyone just stopped training? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
davetallo wrote:

haha.....The stupid 100/100 ends and I was going to go back on a big swim build and start some more riding and now the city closed all public facilities till April 5th so that parents don't take their kids there during the school shutdown.

So my plan to back off on the running and swim a ton is toast.

Its back to running. But I mainly just train to train and end up racing as a fallout from enjoying doing a lot of training. So I am going to be running, biking, using the rowing machine and lifting weights solo for the next while!

Dev

I was thinking pretty much the same thing. After the 100/100 Challenge, I wanted to focus on my bike training and swimming. The bike training will continueā€”the race hasnā€™t been cancelled yet. And instead of swimming, it will be more running. But even if the events are cancelled, Iā€™m still going to continue to train. Not because am preparing for an event, but because I like being active, running in the woods, riding my bike up in the hills. Sure, maybe the ā€˜urgencyā€™ of a specific workout on a specific day is now gone, but thatā€™s probably a good thing. While this is my first year back doing competitions in 4-5 years, I have been training the whole time, or rather, I have been enjoying being very active.

For me itā€™s all about being healthy, both mentally and physically, and enjoying what you do with your time. Plus, my immune system is stronger (knock on wood), I feel healthy, I am more productive at work, and inspire those around me to be more active. What could be better?
Ciao
Quote Reply
Re: pandemic: has anyone just stopped training? [ironmatt85] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmatt85 wrote:
No, I'm performing social distancing by running and riding away from people.

agreed and if anything I am doing more solo long runs and tons of zwift
Quote Reply
Re: pandemic: has anyone just stopped training? [BingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think my volume is actually going to go up. I travel a ton for work, and that's a big limiter on what I can do. Now: no travel. Zero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Motivation to workout has significantly fallen off since 100/100 and it is absolutely a bi-product of all the change taking place. Suddenly instead of a run during my lunch break at office - I am trying to balance work with a young child at home (schools closed here in Michigan). I think my desire will come back but it is going to take time to establish a routine. I'll start to look close at my calendar as it relates to conference calls...there may be a way to take them from the treadmill while walking or even a lighter speed on the bike, just to keep myself active.

In addition to the weekday, I'd regularly take my young children to the YMCA while I knocked out a longer swim but given the panic around everything and the age demographic at the local YMCA...I am slightly concerned with me, or my kids, bringing in the virus and contaminating some of the elderly patrons. Good news about YMCA is that they have TP,...most local stores are fresh out and that makes zero sense. Not sure coronavirus gives you the $hits. This is America, I suppose.
Quote Reply
Re: pandemic: has anyone just stopped training? [benroc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same with the travel for work, I hear ya. It will mean a lot more bike rides for me than on my norma weekend only ride schedule.

Although Iā€™m in a work block where I set up my project schedule to purposefully create some downtime in q1 of this year to try an Ironman after 7 years in the sport.

Made some decisions at work to try and reduce travel frequency in the short term to about 50% and even turned down a couple of things so that I could have the space to get the training in to feel good about my preparation for St. George
as kind of a 1x thing.

I already told my wife that if they pull the plug on the race, Iā€™m just not doing another. Itā€™s too hard to fit proper Ironman training around life on the road (life in general) and it is taking up all of my non work time when I am at home and not on the road. And the work arrangements are all fairly temporary.

There will be some serious anticlimax when st George gets pulled (Iā€™ve been doing big tss weeks, 15-20 hours since January). I am getting extremely fit, loving the training, and ready for the final push. Maybe Iā€™ll do 140.6 on my own using the Wisconsin course since I live in Madison and have some some buddies join me on the bike and run.

And it just kinda sucks. These races are big goals and require significant time and effort and emotional investments. And I fully understand and support why the steps we are now taking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I need physical activity for my sanity, Movement is Medicine.

My A race is Augusta 70.3 so Iā€™m hopeful this is all resolved by the end of September. Iā€™ll keep my training on par and keep moving along. Might miss out on a few of my B and C races, but thatā€™s no biggie.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that suspending training is an excellent idea, especially if you are a male 60-64. CV19 is *very* dangerous for the M60-64 group, so don't exert yourself. I hear that beer, cheese, chips and plenty of deep dish pizza are excellent at preventing CV19 in this population, so have at it, boys. Me, i'm a super risk taker and have a brick planned in a few minutes - intervals on the trainer followed by a run outside. But don't be like me - sleep in and eat robustly to build your strength against the CV19. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: pandemic: has anyone just stopped training? [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
giorgitd wrote:
I think that suspending training is an excellent idea, especially if you are a male 60-64. CV19 is *very* dangerous for the M60-64 group, so don't exert yourself. I hear that beer, cheese, chips and plenty of deep dish pizza are excellent at preventing CV19 in this population, so have at it, boys. Me, i'm a super risk taker and have a brick planned in a few minutes - intervals on the trainer followed by a run outside. But don't be like me - sleep in and eat robustly to build your strength against the CV19. ;)

Perfect! If half that AG takes your advice and half do as you and get infected then I should be by myself on the podium practicing common sense and using years of acquired wisdom :)
Quote Reply
Re: pandemic: has anyone just stopped training? [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best laugh I've has in days of responding to CV19 disruptions!

EDIT = typo fix.
Last edited by: giorgitd: Mar 14, 20 8:54
Quote Reply

Prev Next