Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: pandemic: has anyone just stopped training? [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not even a little. Of course I mostly train alone. But even so I went to the pool Wednesday. I’m working hard hoping others will stop training.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stopped in 2015. Like usual, just ahead of the curve.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve definitely lost some steam the past couple of days. Decided to stop swimming Thursday morning For the greater good, but I’d be lying if part of it wasn’t my loss of motivation. This morning was scheduled to do 2hr bike with 5 mile run off as a race sim for Galveston, but I bailed a little over halfway through the bike when my glute started to tighten up a little. Motivation definitely played a role there too.

I still want to keep biking and running, but would just like to start doing all easy endurance sessions if the race isn’t going to happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man. Strange times. Training in bursts. Traveling back and forth between NYC and Austin to help take care of my 80 year old and quite ill Dad during a long hospitalization, a pretty long gig in inpatient rehab and now in a skilled nursing facility where we are no longer allowed to visit- for very legitimate safety reasons, of course but OMG it’s hard. I got back a week ago from 12-13 hour days cheering him on and cheering him up. Managed two whole workouts in TX. And brisk walks and took the stairs.

Have had a (boring garden variety!) cold since Monday night- Tuesday felt decent enough to get a series of workouts in but Wednesday was ouch. Yesterday Dad had to be in the ER and yes was bounced right back out and is “ok” but it meant the morning started with a giant shot of cortisol.

So working out absolutely keeps me sane; But between the COVID19 news cycle and this cold and middle of the night panicked calls from Dad or health practitioners, and my husband working remotely which is harder on him than being in an office and the kids school being canceled—I’m not having an easy time. Then there’s the feeling I’m just making excuses so before anyone feeling sassy points that out to me, dudes, I know.

Also I know that this is temporary. It is going to get worse before it gets better. There are people having WAY harder times than I’m having. So keep calm, carry on (remotely!), chin up but don’t touch it, and at least I like lemon mint Ricola cough drops.
Quote Reply
Re: pandemic: has anyone just stopped training? [ironmatt85] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmatt85 wrote:
No, I'm performing social distancing by running and riding away from people.

Yeah exactly

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Going to the pool has been amazing. Literally no one is there. On the other hand, I'm having some motivation issues knowing that my events might get cancelled, although they are in the early summer so hopefully this all blows over by then
Quote Reply
Re: pandemic: has anyone just stopped training? [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My training has dropped off, but my job did get quite a bit more stressful leading up to the last couple days here in the US. Now, I see that subsiding and my job has had everybody work from home, so I guess commute time can get rolled into training time.

Short term, training has decreased

Long term, I'm gonna be really fit.
Quote Reply
Re: pandemic: has anyone just stopped training? [ironmatt85] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmatt85 wrote:
No, I'm performing social distancing by running and riding away from people.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: pandemic: has anyone just stopped training? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm deep into a marathon build. In the last month I have needed to sacrific other swims/riding just to manage the load. Marathon is for April 5, and If it gets rescheduled I probably will just drop it. I gained the run fitness I needed from it anyway. I need to get back to full load of bike and swim for Eagleman....if that doesnt get moved too

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Realistically....most public pools are probably about to be closed for at least a few weeks My local pool is closed for all but lap swimming. I suspect that will change here shortly I've already started adjusting to dry land swim workouts. I don't train outdoors with others very often so biking/running shouldn't change much
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been training for 40 years. I love training. For me personally I don’t train to race or compete, I race or compete to train. Even through times when I have no event that I’m training for I still train...hard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I subliminally foresaw this like Nostradamus...I've got bhugger all training in for 3 or 4 months.
Quote Reply
Re: pandemic: has anyone just stopped training? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome, thanks for the advice. đź‘Ť
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All Salt Lake City Utah pools closed as of today, so I guess my 4,000 meter swim will be a run instead...

My hope is that IM St George isn't cancelled/postponed, but it's not looking good at this point.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: pandemic: has anyone just stopped training? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Six weeks out from IMTX. Pretty sure it's about to get canned. Hard to be motivated through the next three weeks / peak of the build.

I'll stay the course until they announce. Once they do I'll likely move on to power building on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been hitting it hard the last four weeks (avg16+hrs), performed well in a 1/2 marathon trail run Sunday, and was using this week as recovery. Now that it's clear there will be no competitions in the near future I'm content with cutting back on my workouts to make sure my immune system is operating at full capacity. I get pretty anxious reading about the scarring effects on the lungs with this disease....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have not. I am looking at it as a chance to catch the bike up to my swim and run fitness level.
Quote Reply
Re: pandemic: has anyone just stopped training? [triguy1956] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Upping my training because I had hip resurfacing 4 months ago and it is so great to ride and swim without pain. In 2 months I can start running again.

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm keeping the volume but pretty much dropping the intensity. I had a good block of running for a while then had a few weeks where my mileage dropped to 35-40/week while managing an ankle issue, and now I'm trying to build back up and get established in the 60-70mpw range for a while. I raced a HM to see where my fitness was last weekend and was pleasantly surprised, and I'm also glad I raced since apparently I won't be doing that again for a while. I had planned to introduce a bit of intensity, but will just be doing volume + hill sprints + strides for now and easy cycling when my legs are shot. Hoping my tentative goal races for the fall are still a go, but that isn't at all a priority right now and frankly I'd just like to see this all under control.

Schools in my area are closing and my work is putting in restrictions. If anything, I may be training more in the near future out of sheer boredom.

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No way... Just finished my last pool swim.. all pools are closed now overhere. Thinking of starting to heat up my own pool at home early and swim on a stretchcord or something. First race is mid june so hopefully things will clear up by then.

Focus on the long run and the process ! :-)
Quote Reply
Re: pandemic: has anyone just stopped training? [maarten.claes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Considering this is just another manufactured panic over nearly nothing (like when everyone was giving up meat last month), no I have not changed my life in any way whatsoever
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why would you stop training?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: pandemic: has anyone just stopped training? [fat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fat wrote:
Stopped in 2015. Like usual, just ahead of the curve.

username checks out

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: pandemic: has anyone just stopped training? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep..

I'm not training for anything in particular,maybe a long bike tour next year, but the next two months will be the biggest swim/cycle blocks that I have done in the last 25 years.

Maybe it is time to take up CrossFit and Archery...:-)

Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Mar 13, 20 14:02
Quote Reply
Re: pandemic: has anyone just stopped training? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
I read this in a blog post by Gordo Byrn yesterday: "Something simple, but not easy, for readers of this blog => cut your training in half. Take your program, cut it in half and watch what happens with the infection rate in your state. If your state is on a log-scale infection rate then it will become apparent far more quickly than any fitness loss.Your immunity will get a boost from this change and you’ll preserve all the health benefits from exercise."

Interesting, not sure I follow, though. Do we think that hard training lowers one's immunity? It seems possible to me. I wanna use my time *working at home* next week to get in some good efforts. But is this not perhaps a time to risk lowering the immune system? Mine is pretty strong, yet I caught a bad cold last weekend after biking in the cold rain Friday and then skiing Saturday.
Quote Reply

Prev Next