Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Zipp Sub-9 Rubbing [OZJester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frame/size: 58cm P3C
Height: 6'3"
Weight: ~190 pounds
Cranks: 180mm

For me, the solution will be to remove the stickers and ride on. Standing up "wrenching" the bike just doesn't seem to belong to riding the bike fast (for long anyway).

The average human uses 10% of his brain power.

Find nine other people
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Sub-9 Rubbing [greijuz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even with stickers removed you will get rubbing. It will damage both the frame and wheel over time. If you frame is any color other than black you will have an ugly scar on your disk..... (Note - It comes off with auto cut and polish)

On the flats, seated no problems the 2mm clearance I have on my P2C is fine..... The Sub 9 is excellent and a lot more comfortable a ride than my old 900.....

I agree that out of the saddle work is s small part of most races but up a decent hill and at turnaround I think it is reasonable to stand up and have a go..... And it is fair to expect (assuming you have done everything right re setup) that everything keeps spinning without any problems....
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Sub-9 Rubbing [joshatzipp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Sub9 measures 28mm at the widest point and my 1080 (front) measures ~26mm at the widest point.
I don't know it's enough to get rid of the rubbing but it might be an interesting alternative.

Find nine other people
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well no response from Zipp on my questions..... I gave up and listed the Sub 9 on ebay....

Seems that nobody wants them!!! Bidding failed to reach 45% of new price (60% - 65% is the average for good quality Zipp stuff) it was $300 less than what I sold my two year old 900 disk for...!!!!

Buggered if I am going to give the thing away!!!

Second hand demand is a good indicator of the overall success of a product... Looks like the Sub 9 might = Lemon......

Pitty..... First crash n burn Zipp have had for a while.... I now have the worlds fastest most aero wall hanging..... lol

Zipp.... I am still waiting to hear from you? I know you have my message because Josh mentioned it in his post!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have called Zipp, which is what Josh suggested we do, and they seemed to be very willing to help fix the problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was quick to say in this post that the Sub 9 will not work with a P3C, but I don't know if that truly is the case. When I thought mined rubbed I am not so sure that it was not the brake pads . . . there was no evidence of rubbing on my disc. Also, Tom Demerly ran the same set up for St. Croix with no rubbing. Bob C says he is running the same set up with no rubbing. I am hoping that it is simply an issue with the horizontal drop-out screws not being set correctly.

And I would not be so quick to say that the Sub 9 is a lemon. Even it is does not work with a P3C, I am sure it works with many other bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Sub-9 Rubbing [Fjellklatrer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have called Zipp, which is what Josh suggested we do, and they seemed to be very willing to help fix the problem.
Please let us know how that evolves.

Find nine other people
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My Sub9 measures 28mm at the widest point and my 1080 (front) measures ~26mm at the widest point.
I don't know it's enough to get rid of the rubbing but it might be an interesting alternative.

I measured our clincher disk this morning, and it, too, is ~26 mm wide at the widest point. That may explain why we've experienced no rubbing, whereas others using the Sub 9 have.

How wide is the new HED wheel, BTW? With wheels trending wider in an attempt to reduce aerodynamic drag and carbon chainstays getting thicker in an attempt to increase stiffness, clearances are getting pretty small...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi All,

I found this thread because I rented a Sub-9 from RaceDayWheels.com and it rubs on my Cervelo Dual. I spent over an hour trying to get it to fit properly but it rubs on the chainstays and also under load. The problem is there's too much clearance on the left side and not enough on the right side. I'm taking it into the LBS to have them check it out to see if I missed anything.

I also have a hell of a time pumping the Sub-9 disc with teh 90 degree elbow and my pump. Air leaks out every which way from Sunday and I'm having difficulty getting past 100psi... LOL

Anyway, thought I'd chime in, I'll update after hte LBS.

Charles
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Sub-9 Rubbing [cyeh01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so, have we decided as a group what the best wheel combo would be for a p3c/p2c?

would the 1080 rear work? has anyone tried it?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Sub-9 Rubbing [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

How wide is the new HED wheel, BTW? With wheels trending wider in an attempt to reduce aerodynamic drag and carbon chainstays getting thicker in an attempt to increase stiffness, clearances are getting pretty small...

The new Jet disc is around 23mm wide at the bulge. It's a very stiff disc as well with not much flexing so it should work with most frames.

BA coaching http://www.bjornandersson.se
Last edited by: bjorn: Jun 3, 08 2:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pumping up my sub-9 is definitely a two person job. Without the wife holding the elbow adaptor and me pumping, it's a no go!
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Sub-9 Rubbing [JapanDeac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm actually not using the "crack pipe" when pumping my tires. I just use my SKS pump as it is since the cut out is big/long enough (if you care to bend the valve out just a tad when you put the adapter onto it).
I'm using the Vittoria Crono Evo CS tires and it's worked fine for me so far.

Find nine other people
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used the crackpipe (adapter) and my pump alone and put the pressure up to 140psi alone... let me tell you, I almost cried cuz I had to do it alone. I weigh 150 lbs, and at 120psi and up with one hand holding the adapter and the other hand pushing the pump, I had to put my entire body weight on the top of the pump to force the air into the tire. Very unpleasant. Definitely a 2 person job.

On the brighter side of things, my LBS managed to get me enough clearance to run the Sub-9 on the Dual.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too weigh about 150 lbs, entire body weight on one arm pumping my road bike 120 psi+ with an 11 year old Specialized pump, the red one with the gauge waaaaay down to the floor so you have to squint, worn valve lock so it spontaneously pops out at <100 psi. I do this $h!t every morning. It's a great ab workout though.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Sub-9 Rubbing [ed-force-one] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I too weigh about 150 lbs, entire body weight on one arm pumping my road bike 120 psi+ with an 11 year old Specialized pump, the red one with the gauge waaaaay down to the floor so you have to squint, worn valve lock so it spontaneously pops out at <100 psi. I do this $h!t every morning. It's a great ab workout though.

It might be time to invest in a new pump. I have the Blackburn Air Tower 5 which has a dual pumping feature - high volume/low pressure and with a touch of the foot activated switch low volume/high pressure. Using the "crack pipe" adaptor I can fairly easily pump to ~ 140 psig with the arm attached to a broken collarbone. The trickiest part is finding the correct alignment of the pipe on the valve.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Sub-9 Rubbing [Fjellklatrer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone using the Sub 9 on a TTX frame ?? If so, any rubbing problems ??
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Sub-9 Rubbing [trigeekhb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was much too quick to say that the sub-9 does not work with the P3C. I just ran the combo at TTT with no probs. You have to make sure that the set screws are just right and your brakes are let way out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Update:
Recently I sent my Sub9 to Zipp for repair.
When I sent the wheel I attached a note about having smaller decals put on (I removed the original decals due to the rubbing issues I had with my P3C). Before repairing it Zipp contacted me and offered a new 900 disc instead because of the compatibility issues with the P3C. Since I was one of the really early adopters of the Sub9 I got this offer at no additional charge!

So, although having "upgraded" from a 900 to the Sub9 I made the switch back to the 900.

Excellent customer service!!!

Find nine other people
Quote Reply

Prev Next