Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Zipp Made a Disc Brake Disc Wheel! [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I'm sure this is what led to my first stop of the day, about 25mi into the bike, where my brakes that have grabbed fine the day before the race no longer did much more than modulate my speed; I could no longer actually stop, just slow down and not even that well.

source: http://blog.rappstar.com/2016/06/gratitude_17.html

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Made a Disc Brake Disc Wheel! [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
If you care about braking, consider disc brakes. If you care about speed, consider disc brakes.

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Made a Disc Brake Disc Wheel! [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm disappointed by the lack of "Yo Dawg" memes in this thread :(
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Made a Disc Brake Disc Wheel! [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gabbiev wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Power13 wrote:
gabbiev wrote:
Dilbert wrote:
leegoocrap wrote:
Why are you making disc aero wheels?
BECAUSE YOU NEED THEM
But why do we need them?
BECAUSE STOPPING IS A PROBLEM IN TT'S AND TRI'S.
Why are you yelling?
BECAUSE THIS IS THE EXXXTREME SOLUTION TO THAT PROBLEM ATHLETES HAVE BEEN HAVING FOR YEARS!!!

Tri isn't a growing sport. And everyone in it has already bought wheels. How do we sell them more wheels?

HEY I HAVE AN IDEA!

I tend to agree with this.

In over 10 years doing product development in the bike business, never once did I ever hear anyone come up with any idea to make products that nobody wanted just to sell more stuff. Not a single time...this myth / perception of grand puppet masters in the bike business moving consumersa round like pawns is just that....a myth.

Product guys in the bike biz just want to make cool bikes....be it a $300 entry level MTB or a $3K tri bike. They want to come up with ideas / product strategies that meet their customers demands (both consumers and dealers) as well as potentially sway them over to their bikes form the competition.

I'm 99% sure that I came out with the first disc-brake cross bike back @ the '99 Interbike show. It wasn't because we were trying to force new stuff down consumers' throats, it was because we thought it was a cool idea and no one was doing it yet and we could use it to bolster our exposure at the show. pretty simple.....no massive conspiracy.

So...you're admitting that you produced something just to "stand out" (whether it worked better for the purpose or not) in the hopes of selling things? Got it ;-)

My problem is when the "cool idea" is half-baked and not well thought out, and then the bandwagon effect starts because people don't want to be seen as "behind the times" in their product offerings :-/

Bandwagon effect--you summed up what was to be my response.

Yes, a lot of this is consumer driven--just need to see the posts in this forum. Consumers fell in love with carbon; thought it would be great to have all carbon wheels, which *have* to be better than alloy rims/carbon wheels because, well, they are all carbon. Manufacturers saw an opportunity to reach a market, spent a lot of time figuring out how to make a material work in an inappropriate use situation, and consumers were shocked that their braking was poor. 'Round the same time, frame manufacturers began burying rear brakes underneath bottom brackets, overly complicating cabling, for little gain. For triathletes, a crappy wheel was made even crappier by poor rear brake placement. So, discs, of course, is the natural solution to all of these woes.

I think that poorly informed consumer belief drove these "innovations" and companies naturally tried to capitalize on this interest. The sorry thing about it all is that a simple, very functional system is being replaced by a less functional and more complex system.

And did anyone notice that the new Zipp disc disc uses the same rim as the Zipp non-disc disc? What about the opportunity that disc brakes offer in optimizing rim profile? Seems like Zipp essentially slapped a disc brake hub in their standard wheel (not a whole lot more complicated than that, conceptually).

Sorry for the ramble. As for product differentiation--fine. Look where it got us with BB standards. Change is good, but for god's sake, make it sensible.

@ Tom A. - Nope, not admitting anything like that. The bike we did was prototype and never meant to go into production. It was a complete Frankenbike. As noted, we did it to raise our exposure at Interbike. But pssst...dirty little secret - consumer product companies make money by selling things and they need to find ways to get the attention of consumers. That is not, however, a conspiracy to force new technologies on people.

@ gabbiev - Woe to the company that ignores consumer demand in favor of what they deem to be "better". The world of consumer products is filled with failed products that were technically "better" than the competitors, but they weren't want consumers wanted. I know I have made products that were "better" than the competition, but because they did not meet consumers' expectations, they failed.

Matter of fact, I am going through a similar issue right now...we have been working on a new consumer medical product adn our customers want to have BT control for it. It is just a stoopid idea....they can control the unit easier and faster through the buttons that are already on it. Why bother reaching into your pocket, finding your phone, unlocking it, scrolling through your apps, opening the app and then adjusting the device. Clearly, just reacing out and pushin buttons is easier and simpler.....but it won't matter. I'm either gonna need to add BT functionality or walk away form the product idea. *shrugs*

Personally, I think the *right* solution in this debate is hydraulic rim calipers. What people are really "in love" with is not the discs, it is the light tough and action of hydraulics. people are focusing on the mechanism and not the technology. But no one wants to hear that....consumers are demanding discs and suppliers are being forced to respond. Go see how many companies spec'd the SRAM Red hydraulic rim calipers....I don;t think any did. Not because it wasn't a "better" solution (it was) but because consumers weren't going to buy them.

Again, there is no massive conspiracy to force people to buy new stuff. Bike companies are more concerned about getting consumers to buy their stuff over the competitions' than trying to come up with massive schemes to buy new stuff.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
I'm happy to see Zipp offering this disc brake disc wheel.

We just got back from the wind tunnel. I can't share data, but I can share a trend.

It’s tricky to make a blanket statement like “discs have more drag,” because testing different bikes gives different results. For example, a bike optimized for rim brakes, by definition isn’t optimized for disc brakes, so sticking some discs on it doesn’t represent the performance you’d expect from a bike designed from the ground up as a disc brake bike. Same in reverse: we did some research in the wind tunnel. Starting with a disc brake bike, removing the front disc brake (caliper & rotor) saved about 1.5 Watts of air power (@30 mph). Removing the rear saved another 1.5 Watts. Adding a rear rim brake (under BB) added about 2 Watts. Adding a TriRig front brake added another 1.5 Watts. Net in this experiment, the rim brakes had about 0.5 Watts more drag. So disc brakes can have more or less drag than rim brakes, depending on the bike chosen for the test.

If you care about braking, consider disc brakes. If you care about speed, consider disc brakes.

Which is why I say you always need to compare "best in class to best in class"...for example, when you added rim brakes to the disc frame, how did your route the cables?

Also, at what yaw angle(s) AND wind speed are those numbers in reference to above? As you well know, stating watts without context isn't quite useful :-)

As an aside, assuming one had free reign to integrate as much as possible, which do you think would be lower drag: a bike designed around separate braking discs, or one built around integral rim calipers?

Personally, I'd put my money on the system built around integrated, hydraulically actuated rim brakes (i.e. hidden in the fork and frame with internal hydraulic connections)...but, maybe that's just me ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's exciting seeing a number of manufacturers releasing disc brake wheel sets and now discs.

I'd like to echo what Damon said with regards to testing and trends that we have seen in the tunnel as well - which are very similar.

People see a disc brake bike and focus in on the visual appearance of a rotor. What is often neglected is what comprises a rim brake system - brake shoes, brake pads, the caliper itself, cable housing, and other small parts. Like Damon mentioned, those pieces add drag to the overall system of the bike. Typical mounting points for a rim brake bike can be optimized on a disc brake bike - similar to how people have mentioned a rim can be optimized without a brake track. It's important to look at the bike as a system - technical limits are pushed with that in mind. Preconceived notions of how things might perform aerodynamically are some of the most exciting things to challenge and test in the tunnel - often times you are surprised and learn a lot! You never know until you try things.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Made a Disc Brake Disc Wheel! [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:

@ Tom A. - Nope, not admitting anything like that. The bike we did was prototype and never meant to go into production. It was a complete Frankenbike. As noted, we did it to raise our exposure at Interbike. But pssst...dirty little secret - consumer product companies make money by selling things and they need to find ways to get the attention of consumers. That is not, however, a conspiracy to force new technologies on people.

One comment: Complaining that everyone thinks there's a massive conspiracy is a bit of a straw man argument. Most folks really couch it in exactly how you describe above, in that there's a MASSIVE incentive to come up with "new for the sake of new" things, because NEW sells! If anything, it's not so much an organized conspiracy to try to drive "churn", as it is just the industry all chasing trends because they are afraid of being left behind.

Power13 wrote:
Personally, I think the *right* solution in this debate is hydraulic rim calipers. What people are really "in love" with is not the discs, it is the light tough and action of hydraulics. people are focusing on the mechanism and not the technology. But no one wants to hear that....consumers are demanding discs and suppliers are being forced to respond.

I completely agree with you here. In fact, I voted with my dollars. I had the Magura C setup on my Soloist that was stolen, and I just recently picked up a set of S700 shifters and HydroR brakes for my Stinner.

Power13 wrote:
Go see how many companies spec'd the SRAM Red hydraulic rim calipers....I don;t think any did. Not because it wasn't a "better" solution (it was) but because consumers weren't going to buy them.

With a bit of experience on them though, as good as they are, I have to say that SRAM didn't really put a top notch effort into their HydroR brakes. Just looking at the design of them, it's fairly obvious that they didn't take full advantage of the hyrdaulic capabilities, especially in regards to leverage. The Maguras are much better in that regard IMHO. In the end, they operate pretty much just like a really WELL set up dual pivot brake...it's just that the actuation is a bit more consistent over time. It's almost as if they didn't want them to work TOO well...oh, and since they used the same levers as they do for the disc models (open system), that means that they needlessly have a reservoir in the levers (the calipers aren't self-adjusting like a disc caliper, and thus the internal volume doesn't change over time). That results in an unnecessarily large "dead stroke" where the lever has to be pulled back enough to close off the reservoir port before the brakes start actuating. That's not needed in a closed system, and is quite noticeable. I actually preferred the feel of the closed Magura C system actuated with cable brake levers in that regard. In other words, as good as they are, there's a LOT of room for improvement.

But, Shimano doesn't even offer a hydraulic rim caliper...so, unless that happened, one wouldn't expect the idea to really take hold anyway. They're all in on road discs...and are the 500 lb. gorilla in components still. It's pretty easy to see the way the wind is blowing...

Power13 wrote:
Again, there is no massive conspiracy to force people to buy new stuff. Bike companies are more concerned about getting consumers to buy their stuff over the competitions' than trying to come up with massive schemes to buy new stuff.

Oh...c'mon...you have to admit that there is some thought put into how to raise sales in what is quite the flat market, no? Why all the interest in adding E-bike lines to bike shops then? ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Made a Disc Brake Disc Wheel! [Cam Piper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cam, I am so glad you and Damon have come on here and responded to this awesome thread. I love seeing engineers and product designers on here.

After seeing Zipp release the Super 9 Disc Brake Disc wheel, I believe the next Cervelo bike, the P6, will be a disc brake bike.

Wheel, bike, and component manufacturers have to talk to each other so that everything works an no one is left out with a crazy product that won't fit on a bike. I'm sure people will tell me I'm wrong but hear me out.

Specialized designed the Venge Vias to have disc brakes. They weren't sure where the UCI was going to go with their decision so they added rim brakes to the Venge. Now, you guys have released the Venge with the disc brakes it was supposed to have from the beginning.

Next, Parlee comes out with a tri bike that has a disc brake on a HED Jet disc and was designed to use disc brakes. This bike just won the Eurobike Gold Award for 2016.

Zipp started converting their wheels to disc brakes earlier this year and ENVE added a bunch of wheels with discs too.

The components are in place from Shimano and SRAM to add discs to frames. All that's left is the frame.

I believe the reason the P6 is delayed is because of disc brakes. I think the updated P5-x will be the last rim brake bike from Cervelo for a while.

I know you can't say, but I bet Specialized's next tri bike has disc brakes too.

Zipp adding their TT/Tri disc wheel to discs is the final piece of the wheel puzzle. I can't wait to see what Cervelo and Specialized come out with next. Everyone is hating on discs but now we have Damon Rinard and Cam Piper telling us that it's not as bad as we think. Exciting times ahead!

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Made a Disc Brake Disc Wheel! [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Dang, I wanted a picture of the wheel disc with the disc rotor mounted.

There is just something so odd about that set up
that a pic would be worth something !

Odd bad or odd good?

(correct answer Odd GOOD!)

While I'm a huge proponent of disc brakes on road (and tri) bikes, even I'm still out on whether they're worthwhile on the rear. Given the weight shift that happens during braking, I'm not convinced they are needed on the rear. BUT, since they appear to be becoming available, I'd probably go for one over a rim brake one, because of the increase reliability in all weather conditions, the lack of wear on the rim etc etc.

Actually, disc brakes on the rear are good. I just talked myself into wanting them at both ends of the bike.

Now we can move onto what size they should be at each end. Small on the rear, and large on the front, for equal heat dissipation (more weight on the front wheel means that more braking force at the front has greater effect, and more force equals more heat. A larger disc rotor heats up less and dissipates heat better.

but a pic sure would be nice too ;-)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Made a Disc Brake Disc Wheel! [Cam Piper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cam Piper wrote:
It's exciting seeing a number of manufacturers releasing disc brake wheel sets and now discs.

I'd like to echo what Damon said with regards to testing and trends that we have seen in the tunnel as well - which are very similar.

People see a disc brake bike and focus in on the visual appearance of a rotor. What is often neglected is what comprises a rim brake system - brake shoes, brake pads, the caliper itself, cable housing, and other small parts. Like Damon mentioned, those pieces add drag to the overall system of the bike. Typical mounting points for a rim brake bike can be optimized on a disc brake bike - similar to how people have mentioned a rim can be optimized without a brake track. It's important to look at the bike as a system - technical limits are pushed with that in mind. Preconceived notions of how things might perform aerodynamically are some of the most exciting things to challenge and test in the tunnel - often times you are surprised and learn a lot! You never know until you try things.

Exactly!

Without careful testing, who would believe that a particular custom steel bike with carefully chosen (and oriented) tubing, strategically routed cabling, and a round seat post could perform as well as it does with a rider on board? Right? ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I can already easily lock up both wheels. I simply cannot imagine needing more braking power than what I have.

From my understanding, it's more about the modulation than stopping power.

Mat Steinmetz

51-SPEEDSHOP.com - instagram - @matsteinmetz - facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar, come ride with me all winter long (and lotsa days in the summer) here in New Zealand, and you'll sell your wife into slavery to get disc brakes on all your bikes.

On a warm dry sunny days with flowers scenting the air and unicorns frolicking in the fields, rim brakes work. No argument there.

On days that don't conform with the statement above, I'll take disc brakes every time.

As an example (to repeat what I've reported before) I give one of my own accidents as evidence. (note that I'm a mechanical engineer and keep my bikes clean and well maintained)

I rode 200m from the ferry to my office, in the rain. My building had a covered laneway to the neighbours building. I entered the covered laneway and rode about 15m, doing just 12kph. A car exited the underground car park when the barrier arm lifted and drove straight into my path. The side of the car was about 15-18m from me when the video showed that I grabbed all the brakes I could. The rim brakes had negligible effect for several metres. Then the rim dried and my panic braking locked the front wheel. In the video you could see it lock and slide about 3 metres on the wet concrete. Then it finally hit the dry concrete and I did a lovely endo onto the car. Upside down, my head hit the wheel of the car and my ribs hit the top of the quarter panel above. I slumped to the ground, unconscious. I awoke 20-30 seconds later, in a heap, tangled in my bike. The video shows the driver standing beside me, wondering if I was dead. As I slowly came round, he asked how I was, and helped untangle me. I slowly got up, and ended up making my way to the nearby clinic. Concussion and 4 broken ribs. Just 4 days before my annual holiday. Bugger.

I would have given just about anything to have gained those first few metres of effective braking, rather than waiting for the brake pads to squeegee the water and road grime off the rims. In addition to that, being able to better modulate disc brakes, I could probably have avoided the locked brake part of the accident as well. Watching the video of the accident, I am 100% sure that I would have avoided even hitting the car, if my bike had hydraulic disc brakes. 12kph, broken body and broken bike, all because of the second best bicycle braking system. NFG.

I won't waste our time describing some of the other wet weather braking situations that have taken years off my life, but rest assured, I for one love disc brakes. They don't work much better in the dry, but they work a shit ton better when the unicorns are in the barn keeping dry.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Made a Disc Brake Disc Wheel! [Mat Steinmetz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mat Steinmetz wrote:
Quote:
I can already easily lock up both wheels. I simply cannot imagine needing more braking power than what I have.

Which is a perfect argument for hydraulically actuated rim brakes...especially on a metallic braking surface :-)

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Made a Disc Brake Disc Wheel! [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom,

You may have talked about this in other threads, but have you tested disc brakes? I haven't tried them yet but would love to.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Tom,

You may have talked about this in other threads, but have you tested disc brakes? I haven't tried them yet but would love to.

Yes. I have them on some of my own bikes and have also test ridden both the SRAM And Shimano road models. One of my bikes is set up as an "all-road" bike (SRAM Red w/TRP Spyres & Jagwire Link cable housings) and gets ridden on pavement quite often. I feel I'm pretty aware of the pluses and minuses of that technology application for road use...and to be honest, MANY of the minuses are overlooked and minimized when this is discussed.

By comparison, my road bike currently has SRAM HydroR rim calipers braking on Hed Jet Turbine equipped rims. THAT is a sweet performing setup...and is possible for nearly ANY bike.

Edit: But...let me get this straight...you've never tried disc brakes for road applications, and yet you're writing in this thread about how you think all of this such a great idea?

Last edited by: Tom A.: Aug 31, 16 19:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there a change to the rim brake super 9 carbon clincher? the articles seem to say its a new wheel but I can not find out what has changed for the rim brake version.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Made a Disc Brake Disc Wheel! [gte534j] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing has changed on the rim brake Super 9.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Mat Steinmetz wrote:
Quote:

Which is a perfect argument for hydraulically actuated rim brakes...especially on a metallic braking surface :-)

Serious question: what is the big advantage of hydro rim brakes over top notch mechanical rim brakes? (assuming the same pads and the same metallic rim surface ... ).

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Mat Steinmetz wrote:
Quote:

Serious question: what is the big advantage of hydro rim brakes over top notch mechanical rim brakes? (assuming the same pads and the same metallic rim surface ... ).

Lighter touch, better modulation....arguably mor power, but I don't really tout that as an adamant for the road unless you are a heavier rider.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Mat Steinmetz wrote:
Quote:

^^^What he said^^^

To which, I'll add that a lot if it depends on the rest of the setup of the cable system...and really opened my eyes to what most people refer to as "modulation" is really a light lever feel prior to the pads making contact. It's possible to get that with a cable system, but it's harder to keep it that way.

The consistency of the lever feel, especially over time or after exposure to the elements, is what stands out to me. Oh, and I also noticed that on my bike, which is designed for a full cable housing to the rear brake, the rear ended up much better than when it was cable actuated. That was most likely due to the extra friction of the full housing fir the cable. The hydraulic hose is obviously much more tolerant of less than ideal control routing.

That said, the power is very nice. IME, the Maguras were slightly better in that regard as compared to the SRAM setup, but even that is every bit as good as the best cable actuated options.

One word of caution when comparing lever feel between braking systems...you really need to do it while moving. Most people squeeze a brake lever on a bike when stationary and judge how powerful it us by how "solid" it feels. Discs typically feel much firmer in that regard. IME, that doesn't necessarily transfer to how they feel when actually stopping...and might do be part of the reason for the perception that disc calipers are SOOO much more powerful than rim calipers.

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Made a Disc Brake Disc Wheel! [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:
I'm sure this is what led to my first stop of the day, about 25mi into the bike, where my brakes that have grabbed fine the day before the race no longer did much more than modulate my speed; I could no longer actually stop, just slow down and not even that well.

source: http://blog.rappstar.com/2016/06/gratitude_17.html

User error. I could have had the same experience if I ended up getting oil or grease on my rotors with a disc set up. In Tremblant, knowing it was going to rain, I adjusted my brakes accordingly and had superior braking all day long.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Tom,

Tom A. wrote:
...Which is why I say you always need to compare "best in class to best in class"...

Agreed. This is the reason we conducted the test.

Quote:
...for example, when you added rim brakes to the disc frame, how did your route the cables?

No cables.

Quote:
Also, at what yaw angle(s)

-20 to 20 degrees as per usual.

Quote:
...AND wind speed are those numbers in reference to above?

30.0 mph

Quote:
As you well know, stating watts without context isn't quite useful :-)

...which is why I included the speed in the original post. :-)

Quote:
...As an aside, assuming one had free reign to integrate as much as possible, which do you think would be lower drag: a bike designed around separate braking discs, or one built around integral rim calipers?

Wait and see. ;-)

Cheers,
Damon

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Wait and see. ;-)

This will be interesting, but unless it is something silly in gains I doubt I will be tempted to upgrade. While discs look better on MTBs and CX bikes, it looks off on a Time Trial/tri bike and for that matter road as well. Now, that is totally subjective, but how something looks influences my decisions as much as how it performs. That being said, I have zero issues with my mechanical rim brakes on any of my bikes and while I would cede that my UP stops better than my DA, AR or Seven on pavement (no matter the wheels) it is more a function of running 2.1" tires not the Spyre calipers and 160mm rotors.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know how one adjusts one's braking during rain, but how do adjust your brakes for rain?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Change brake pads? E.g. the blurb for the Swissstop green pads specifically mention braking power in the wet, whereas for the blue pads they talk about all conditions and the black pads they talk about softer alloys and less aggressive riding. If you had multiple sets of race wheels at your disposal (I wish!) then conditions might also influence a decision to switch to a wheelset with alloy braking surface instead of carbon.
Quote Reply

Prev Next