Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: You’re on the wrong saddle — the new “your seat is too high” [kileyay] [ In reply to ]

ahhh, the "Golden Saddle on a Pedestal" theory. No a big fan of that one. I subscribe more to the "Mendoza Line" theory. For some riders there may indeed be just one perfect saddle that facilitates proper rotation and magically produces all those missing watts. For most of us though, there are going to be several acceptable saddles that accomplish this, and of course some folks can ride on anything in aero. In 2009 I logged1 0,000 aero miles on a lightly padded SLR (because Bjorn did it!).

Saddles are personal, and just like there is not one saddle that works for everyone, there is not one theory of saddle fitting that works for everyone. I've spent an hour testing saddles durinig a 2 hour fit, and also have had riders test the JOF55, Mistica, and PN 3.0 in the first 5:00 and move on. I tell clients straight up "There may be a more perfect saddle for you, but with this one you fell right into beautiful pelvic rotation and you describe it as adequately comfortable, so lets move on and give you some more time on it."

Also, being a 160 lbs masher with an FTP of 350 and 55% of your weight on your aerobars is quite different than being a 180 lbs spinner with an FTP of 200 watts and 55% of your weight on the saddle. One rider is sitting on like 20 - 30lbs when riding hard and the other is experiencing roughly twice that weight on the taint.

The new "your seat is too high" is actually "your crank is too long". You will produce far more illuminating fit moments with an adjustable crankset than you will with a switchit.

Re: You’re on the wrong saddle — the new “your seat is too high” [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]

Crank length is also a huge problem, but I dealt with that one in the process, which was also annoying and expensive. Man, this fit stuff is really a process. I guess it is a relief that all anyone needs to do is get fit by you and in two hours they can find the perfect equipment and fit, saving thousands of dollars and years of trial and effort.

Re: You’re on the wrong saddle — the new “your seat is too high” [kileyay] [ In reply to ]

kileyay wrote:
Crank length is also a huge problem, but I dealt with that one in the process, which was also annoying and expensive. Man, this fit stuff is really a process. I guess it is a relief that all anyone needs to do is get fit by you and in two hours they can find the perfect equipment and fit, saving thousands of dollars and years of trial and effort.

no joke, the Retul bike is the best investment I ever made... the possibilities are endless for the amount of changes you can make during fits and when you're not fitting it doubles as a trainer bike where you can experiment with your own position.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”

Re: You’re on the wrong saddle — the new “your seat is too high” [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]

That is a serious amount of racing and traveling you have lined up!

a solution for this process has been out there for some time. you can lead a taint to comfort, but you can't make it sit.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman

Prev Next