Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
X-Lab's Cervelo specific hydration rig (photos).
Quote | Reply
We've looked at the very nice Beaker H5.C Cervelo specific hydration system before on this forum. Here is a look at X-Lab's version of a bottle mount that utilizes the two holes in the back of a Cervelo P3C and P2C... and perhaps a future... model.

The X-Lab design, called the "Sonic Wing", is capable of a number of different mounting positions and configurations. Here are some photos I took moments ago from a photo shoot we are doing for a hydration system article on our own website:

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: X-Lab's Cervelo specific hydration rig (photos). [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like it.
Is it possible to get that carbon post for my P3 SL? My carbon post is not as updated (for lack of a better word).
Quote Reply
Re: X-Lab's Cervelo specific hydration rig (photos). [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So let me see if I haqve this right. I buy arguably one of the fastest bikes in the world, then I stick two water bottles way up high in the wind making my bike now one of the slowest.

Seems like a bad design to me, unless you can get the bottles much lower.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Jul 23, 08 16:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like that . . . especially the adjustability factor. Not to highjack, but why is your saddle pointed downward in the front and not level?
Quote Reply
Re: X-Lab's Cervelo specific hydration rig (photos). [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like you could turn it around and lower the bottles some, not unlike how you can switch the Beaker one. Tom had photos of that one last month.
Quote Reply
Re: X-Lab's Cervelo specific hydration rig (photos). [Mobius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It looks like you could turn it around and lower the bottles some, not unlike how you can switch the Beaker one. Tom had photos of that one last month.
I thought I remembered someone recently (Rapp, maybe?) saying that pointing up and close to the butt was more aero than lower riding bottles?

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: X-Lab's Cervelo specific hydration rig (photos). [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good question. The bottle bracket has up to 31 positions according to X-Lab. The photos you see here show only the highest position. It can be mounted much lower as well.

As the photo shoot has been progressing over the last hour I've been re-positioning the thing on my own bike and then shooting more photos to show the various possible positions.

Here is a photo of the lower position from X-Lab's own website (mine aren't uplaoded or photoshopped yet).

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: X-Lab's Cervelo specific hydration rig (photos). [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope- these posts are specific to the P2C and P3C... currently.... ;)

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: X-Lab's Cervelo specific hydration rig (photos). [Trianthes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good question. If you look at it relative to the bike, it is nose down, but not by much. I tried it level and it smiply felt a trifle better angled slightly nose down.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nice design. i like it better than the beaker.

and great pics.

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what i like about cervelo and the p3c is the attention of details that Gerard and Phil have put to it. What i dont like about Xlab and the other system is the lack of attention or adjustability to it. The system i see right now is way to far from the saddle to optimize aerodynamic and the quality of the bike.

it s very important to have to bottle against the saddle and if possible hitting your butt at all time during the ride.

here s a exemple

this is a dremel tacx system...cost 30-40$ can put 1 or 2 bottle, lighter than anything on the market...dosnt launch bottle and it against the saddle. So when muffing top is a bit back on the saddle, the bottle is actually against him....

the difference is in the details....

what do you personaly think of the Xlab system????

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: X-Lab's Cervelo specific hydration rig (photos). [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right about it touching your butt. I just shot a photo of the X-Lab in a position that enables the bottle to touch me butt if I am sitting square on the saddle. I'll post it tomorrow.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think MuffinTop looks fast on taht bike

Ruble Triathlon Coaching Average of 30 coached PR's per year
Florida Triathlon Camps Train in North Americas winter training destination
Ruble Racing Events Midwest Triathlon Racing
Ruble Timing Midwest Event Timing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like it. I'd love to have a P3C or even P2C to put it on, rather than my P2k, but that's just a gripe.

The adjustablility looks quite good. I think alot of the comments so far are in relation to aerodynamic of this setup (particularly the first pic) but from what I know about wind off a riders back, the highish position shown is actually very good. Even in ideal straight ahead wind directions, the turburlent low over the riders body takes quite a while to re-attach, or come back together behind the rider. This is why we can (if we choose to cheat) get an effective draft from a rider even 7-10 metres ahead. The fore/aft location of the bottles, by a few centimetres is arguably irrelevent in the real world. High bottles are easier to reach and faster and easier to retrieve and put back. This savings in aerodynamics is going to be at least as important as bottle loction one way or another.

IF I had a P3C to put it on, I would probably install it just as shown in the top picture. But that's just me. Given the adjustability, I'm sure it would be suitable for anyone racing in a tri.

Thanks for the great pics.

BTW, do all those arrows and numbers on your bike make it faster or slower? LOL

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: X-Lab's Cervelo specific hydration rig (photos). [Trianthes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I like that . . . especially the adjustability factor. Not to highjack, but why is your saddle pointed downward in the front and not level?
Does it matter? not being an ass or anything but I can't imagine it mattering.
Quote Reply
Re: X-Lab's Cervelo specific hydration rig (photos). [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I like it. I'd love to have a P3C or even P2C to put it on, rather than my P2k, but that's just a gripe.

The adjustablility looks quite good. I think alot of the comments so far are in relation to aerodynamic of this setup (particularly the first pic) but from what I know about wind off a riders back, the highish position shown is actually very good. Even in ideal straight ahead wind directions, the turburlent low over the riders body takes quite a while to re-attach, or come back together behind the rider. This is why we can (if we choose to cheat) get an effective draft from a rider even 7-10 metres ahead. The fore/aft location of the bottles, by a few centimetres is arguably irrelevent in the real world. High bottles are easier to reach and faster and easier to retrieve and put back. This savings in aerodynamics is going to be at least as important as bottle loction one way or another.

IF I had a P3C to put it on, I would probably install it just as shown in the top picture. But that's just me. Given the adjustability, I'm sure it would be suitable for anyone racing in a tri.

Thanks for the great pics.

BTW, do all those arrows and numbers on your bike make it faster or slower? LOL
well..that isnt exactly right. The position of the bottle behind the rider is important and as a effect. Have you been in the windtunnel to play with that? i can tell you there is difference, and depending of someone position, bottle high can be good or bottle low can be better. But most likely all the time...bottle as close as possible to the body is better.....

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jonnyo,

I agree with you about bottle position to some degree. I am mainly alluding to the difference between the ideal world (which none of us live in) where bottle position is important, and the real world, (where most of us live, at least some of the time).

In the real world, the wind is (thankfully) rarely dead ahead. To compound that, have you seen some of the horrific positions and bike setups that some people (far too many) show up for IM for? Bottle location is the least of their problems to saythe least

Lance for example, experimented with seam location on his jersey, for best aerodynamic benefit. On the other side, I've seem pointy hats that look ridiculous, with the hat sitting on top of the riders head and never coming within about 6 inchs of their back! WTF? Or pointy hats with drop bars and aero bars higher than their saddle.

In the real world, I think it's more important to be easily be able to reach a bottle quickly (for best aero advantage) that to worry about the bottles being an inch too high or too low.

With the amazing adjustability of the Hydration rig, I think just about any rider should be able to get a bottle position for them that suits their dedication to aero or dedication to getting a drink when they need it. Personally I like the idea of the bottles being an inch or so behind the seat. That way sliding back on the saddle to climb, can be improved.

Regards

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i understand your point and for many like you said.... it s the least of there concerne and a lot of more important details need to be taken care of...

as for me, i m really a geek and so into all details that sometimes... i take it too far!! :)

Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: X-Lab's Cervelo specific hydration rig (photos). [kblahetka] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It matters if you don't like anything accentuating you moving forward on the saddle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Accentuating sliding forward on your seat is an issue? That's a fashion concern. It is not a concern of triathletes dedicated to getting across the finish line as soon as they can.

How can triathlon be a fashion show? FK me! Have you seen how most of us show up? Budgie smugglers, garsih clothes, bikes and wheels with stickers all over, flouro coloured drinks and all sorts of hideous colour shoes. I could go on, but you get the point.

Bottle location is not a fashion item. It is a result of several criteria. Criteria that is different for each person. IF you are worried that a bottle position makes you look like you are on the nose of your saddle...don't worry. What you should worry about is that it makes your A$$ look big in those pants. LOL

TriDork

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't believe that I am even responding to your drivel, but saddles are usually level, especially on triathlon bikes so as not to increase the propensity that you scoot forward. I tend to ride very far forward on my saddle like most triathletes, but I don't need anything that accentuates it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drivel? WTF? That wasn't drivel. That was well thought out, cunningly crafted humour thankyou very much! :-)

With saddles, it's not the outer part that needs to be level, it's the shell inside that needs to be level. In some saddles, that can be quite different. If you are sliding that far forward, possibly a bike fit adjustment might be in order. At least worth checking I'd say. Of course you can ignore my suggestion, it is just an uninformed opinion afterall.

Later duuuuuude (are your brakes rubbing?)

TriDork

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are a few more views of the X-Lab Sonic Wing configured in different positions:

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Concur w/Jonnyo....wish the design kept the bottles closer in to the butt/legs...and low too. I'd also like to see a single mount option where the cage mounted straight off the back too.
Quote Reply
Re: X-Lab's Cervelo specific hydration rig (photos). [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you mean like the third picture in Tom's post above?
Quote Reply

Prev Next