Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Wurf "can't run"...but outruns Don (the bike stud) and wins in Cannes!!! (update-wins IMOZ 2:50 run) [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wurf only bike tour de france after 2007, which was pretty much when the high octane hayday had stopped
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf "can't run"...but outruns Don (the bike stud) and wins in Cannes!!! [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
PJC wrote:
oscaro wrote:
According to trirating the previous record was 8:14 and he broke it by 8 min

trirating is wrong
His time of eight hours, six minutes and 17 seconds just beat the event record of 8:06:39, set by Finnish legend Pauli Kiuru on the old Forster course in 1992.

I believe trirating is using the record for the current course, which was 8:14, not the '92 record on the old course. Opinions may vary but I think using the record for the current course is best. :)
Ironman said he broke the course record. They own the sport and the record books.

If they say he broke the course record. He broke the record.

It’s like the any event in the Olympics. The IOC ratify world records. It’s their sport. Their rules.
Ironman is no different.
So you mean he didn’t break the record since previously the event was run on a completely different course but that record still somehow is applied on the new course as well?
Kiuru has the record on the old course and always will, but Wurf has the new record on the new course.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf "can't run"...but outruns Don (the bike stud) and wins in Cannes!!! [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
PJC wrote:
oscaro wrote:

trirating is wrong
His time of eight hours, six minutes and 17 seconds just beat the event record of 8:06:39, set by Finnish legend Pauli Kiuru on the old Forster course in 1992.

I believe trirating is using the record for the current course, which was 8:14, not the '92 record on the old course. Opinions may vary but I think using the record for the current course is best. :)

Ironman said he broke the course record. They own the sport and the record books.

It’s like the any event in the Olympics. The IOC ratify world records. It’s their sport. Their rules.
Ironman is no different.

oh dear
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf "can't run"...but outruns Don (the bike stud) and wins in Cannes!!! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
1poseur1 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
1poseur1 wrote:
Quote:

If Cam runs 2:35 in London he will tank his entire season. He won't recover from that for 8 weeks minimum at his "heavy" weight at around 160 lbs

So doing a full ironman every other week is no big deal but it is a straight marathon that puts him in a hole that he never recovers?

Yes and if you don't understand this, then you don't understand the difference between a slow Ironman marathon and a fast open marathon.

Actually, I do. But I will defer to you because, you know, you are the expert.

LOL, if you are going to be a dick about it thanks for the dickish compliment. But let's get back to the discussion on fast mid year marathons in a kona build.

Let's go through the history list and bring up a Kona winner who ran sub 2:40 in either an open marathon or IM marathon in the summer and backed it up with a Kona win in October. Frodo did that in Roth 2016 but that may be it.

Peter Reid did not do it after his 2:38 at IM Austria. Ralaert got close...sub 2:40 at Roth 2011 and third to Crowie at Kona (ran a lot slower in Kona in 2:47, but a Lange style run gets him the win).Frodo ran sub 2:40 at Frankfurt last year and was injured for Kona. Lange was jogging around Frankfurt (2:47) and on fire in Kona (sub 2:40).

Mark Allen, Luc Van Lierde, Crowie Dave Scott, Lange, Macca....everyone who has run 2:42 or lower in Kona never runs that fast mid year. When Frodo ran sub 2:40 in Roth, he won with a fairly slow run.

His injury wasn't from Frankfurt so this is a moot point

Chasing PB Podcast Latest interview with Eli Hemming on Targeting a US MTR spot in Tokyo
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf "can't run"...but outruns Don (the bike stud) and wins in Cannes!!! (update-wins IMOZ 2:50 run) [Spandexboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spandexboy wrote:
The first thing I am going to say, I am most certainly not calling out or suggesting Cameron Wurf is a doper.

No need to go any further then. You have no basis for anything you said after this. Dumb speculation is dumb speculation.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf "can't run"...but outruns Don (the bike stud) and wins in Cannes!!! (update-wins IMOZ 2:50 run) [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
Spandexboy wrote:
The first thing I am going to say, I am most certainly not calling out or suggesting Cameron Wurf is a doper. With that said, Wurf's close association with past and current professional cyclists under a doping cloud--the now defunct Team Sky and Chris Froome--is disconcerting at best. I truly hope he is not a doper, but with his associations and history with professional ,I find them deeply concerning particularly, because of the glaring ack questions about doping to him by mainstream triathlon media. Is it me or am I crazy? I'd rather be the latter, but I'm pretty sure I'm not.

No, you're crazy.

You do realize his history? He was an Olympic rower then cyclist-he has been working on his engine at a world class level for years!

This neither means he is nor is not a doper. Nor his association with team sky. (To state the obvious)

As far as I can recall, the is no more reason to suspect him then Frodo or Sparky. (2 random guys I picked, so relax all)

Now when you test positive and backdate a TUE and then destroy the field for 7 straight years, that’s a different story....

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
PJC wrote:
oscaro wrote:

trirating is wrong

Ironman is no different.

Well, obviously he broke "the record" but I thought we were debating whether it was by 22 sec or by 8 minutes??? Honestly, I have absolutely no dog in this fight. I don't do iron races and I don't even ride the bike anymore but rather I just swim and run. I really don't care but was rather just commenting out of my waning interest in iron races.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf "can't run"...but outruns Don (the bike stud) and wins in Cannes!!! (update-wins IMOZ 2:50 run) [drm437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drm437 wrote:
dunno wrote:
Spandexboy wrote:
The first thing I am going to say, I am most certainly not calling out or suggesting Cameron Wurf is a doper. With that said, Wurf's close association with past and current professional cyclists under a doping cloud--the now defunct Team Sky and Chris Froome--is disconcerting at best. I truly hope he is not a doper, but with his associations and history with professional ,I find them deeply concerning particularly, because of the glaring ack questions about doping to him by mainstream triathlon media. Is it me or am I crazy? I'd rather be the latter, but I'm pretty sure I'm not.

No, you're crazy.

You do realize his history? He was an Olympic rower then cyclist-he has been working on his engine at a world class level for years!

This neither means he is nor is not a doper. Nor his association with team sky. (To state the obvious)

As far as I can recall, the is no more reason to suspect him then Frodo or Sparky. (2 random guys I picked, so relax all)

Now when you test positive and backdate a TUE and then destroy the field for 7 straight years, that’s a different story....

The point being made obviously went right over your head....
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf "can't run"...but outruns Don (the bike stud) and wins in Cannes!!! [1poseur1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1poseur1 wrote:
Plenty of people do it (I have multiple times, most recently a 2.42 six weeks out before running 3.12 IM. I am a proponent of this combo in fact.). .

that's a pretty poor performance IMO.... perhaps you should open your mind a little to what Dev is trying to say?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
drm437 wrote:
dunno wrote:
Spandexboy wrote:

No, you're crazy.

The point being made obviously went right over your head....

The point that both cyclists and rowers are notorious dopers..,at least historically and that he’s done both at a high level?

Doesn’t necessarily means he dopes any more than the rest of the tri world (or Less).

It’s also possible I missed your point, which, I will in some way, find a way to live with.

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf "can't run"...but outruns Don (the bike stud) and wins in Cannes!!! (update-wins IMOZ 2:50 run) [1poseur1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wurf's questionable associations is not dumb speculation it is a fact. He has been very open that he trains with Froome and Team Sky, but has never--to my knowledge--addressed the elephant in the room regarding his involvement with them. So yes I do have some "basis" for asking him as a fan of professional triathlon.

I guess no fan or organization should be concerned about a top tier professional triathlete closely associating and openly training with a professional cycling team under a doping cloud. I am not saying he is doping, but just that he should address the elephant in the room, because he is the one creating it by his behaviur. Furthermore, if Wurf continues to improve he can and likely will win Kona and it will be a major cloud over his win and our sport if he doesn't address it.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf "can't run"...but outruns Don (the bike stud) and wins in Cannes!!! (update-wins IMOZ 2:50 run) [Spandexboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But how will addressing it make any difference? What's he going to say?
Yeah I dope, but like my mates Froomie and all, you will never know because our methods are so far ahead of the testing we will always be safe.?
Of course not, no, never, would be all we would hear, same as every athlete, so what would be the point in questioning him, if he is or isn't the answers would be the same.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spandexboy wrote:
Wurf's questionable associations is not dumb speculation it is a fact. He has been very open that he trains with Froome and Team Sky, but has never--to my knowledge--addressed the elephant in the room regarding his involvement with them. So yes I do have some "basis" for asking him as a fan of professional triathlon.

I guess no fan or organization should be concerned about a top tier professional triathlete closely associating and openly training with a professional cycling team under a doping cloud. I am not saying he is doping, but just that he should address the elephant in the room, because he is the one creating it by his behaviur. Furthermore, if Wurf continues to improve he can and likely will win Kona and it will be a major cloud over his win and our sport if he doesn't address it.

Sometimes its better to keep quiet having people think you are an idiot rather than open your mouth and remove all doubt. You have just removed all doubt.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf "can't run"...but outruns Don (the bike stud) and wins in Cannes!!! [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

He Broke the long standing record set on the old Forster Course by 1 minute and the current course Port Macquarie record by 8 minutes. The wind was up on the bike so his result is even more impressive. The Age Group times were notably slower on the bike. I thought Tim Reed was impressive in his performance for 2nd, when Cam started spewing with 2km to go the crowd at the finish line was going crazy! they had a big screen with the live feed, made it a great atmosphere

On the women's race it was disappointing to see Laura Siddale with 2 top age group men at about 100km into the bike, it was only a moment I saw them go past but it was heading into the flats so cant imagine they split up. Considering it was very close with Caroline and she biked solo almost to the end of the bike, these sort of things could be the difference. I wasn't witness to much of the bike so hopefully it was just in that moment she Laura was with the age group men.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think spandexboy's questioning is actually idiotic. It is fact that former team Sky have a cloud of doubt hanging over their heads and there is a very big possibility if they were a smaller, less powerful team with less $ that cloud would have burst a great shit storm all over them by now. Is guilty by association a thing though? I guess in this case it could be more likely as Cam was a member of the team, not just a tag along for a few training rides. Here is the thing though, I have doubts over the pure cleanness of a few of the guys and girls in long course racing, even the short course ITU. I believe there are some who are in, what I would call, that grey zone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He’s coached by Kerrison. That should tell you all you need to know.

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf "can't run"...but outruns Don (the bike stud) and wins in Cannes!!! [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:

So you mean he didn’t break the record since previously the event was run on a completely different course but that record still somehow is applied on the new course as well?
Kiuru has the record on the old course and always will, but Wurf has the new record on the new course.

ericmulk wrote:

Well, obviously he broke "the record" but I thought we were debating whether it was by 22 sec or by 8 minutes??? Honestly, I have absolutely no dog in this fight. I don't do iron races and I don't even ride the bike anymore but rather I just swim and run. I really don't care but was rather just commenting out of my waning interest in iron races.

He broke the Ironman Australia record by less than a minute. That's the fact.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
oscaro wrote:

ericmulk wrote:

If you want to play semantics, he broke the IM Australia record (by name only) by less than a minute. He broke the current IM Australia course record by 8 minutes. Beating the record of the current course by 8 minutes is a significantly better achievement that the 'name only' record of 22 seconds. Your 'fact' is irrelevant to the significance of the time Wurf posted. The significance is to compare it to recent times on a 'like for like' basis to assess how good of a performance it was relative to the current competition. Your line of thought and argument is useless apart from trying to prove a point that adds no value to the conversation, now run along and go play with your toys.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf "can't run"...but outruns Don (the bike stud) and wins in Cannes!!! (update-wins IMOZ 2:50 run) [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
I don't think spandexboy's questioning is actually idiotic. It is fact that former team Sky have a cloud of doubt hanging over their heads and there is a very big possibility if they were a smaller, less powerful team with less $ that cloud would have burst a great shit storm all over them by now. Is guilty by association a thing though? I guess in this case it could be more likely as Cam was a member of the team, not just a tag along for a few training rides. Here is the thing though, I have doubts over the pure cleanness of a few of the guys and girls in long course racing, even the short course ITU. I believe there are some who are in, what I would call, that grey zone

So, you and spandexboy do not know but it "feels" right? Insinuating that he may be doped because you simplu cannot know for sure that he is not is the equivalent of slander.
Last edited by: 1poseur1: May 6, 19 19:21
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf "can't run"...but outruns Don (the bike stud) and wins in Cannes!!! [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
1poseur1 wrote:
Plenty of people do it (I have multiple times, most recently a 2.42 six weeks out before running 3.12 IM. I am a proponent of this combo in fact.). .

that's a pretty poor performance IMO.... perhaps you should open your mind a little to what Dev is trying to say?

The drift or “index of resistance” that I assign is “about” 6-10 minutes per hour. 6 minutes is pretty exceptional, ie from race reports of AG athletes on here I would say that there are only a handful...or maybe 2 handfuls of people who can do that. 10 minutes is really good for a first timer.

I would say 90% of athletes at IM on race day don’t achieve that potential.

Caveats such as conditions/course on the day obviously apply.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf "can't run"...but outruns Don (the bike stud) and wins in Cannes!!! (update-wins IMOZ 2:50 run) [drm437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drm437 wrote:

The point that both cyclists and rowers are notorious dopers..,at least historically and that he’s done both at a high level?

As a former rower and current cyclist, it's not even in the same realm of notoriety. Rowers are not "notorious dopers." For hard data, USADA has sanctioned 7 rowers since 2009. Cyclists? Around 160. (by my rough count).

East German / USSR rowing back in the 70's-80's. Sure. Today, not that much notoriety. I have no recollection of an Australian rower ever having been sanctioned for doping (there could be, just none comes to mind).
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf "can't run"...but outruns Don (the bike stud) and wins in Cannes!!! (update-wins IMOZ 2:50 run) [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:

I don't think he ever was a member of the team while a professional cyclist. He is now associated with the team through his coach Tim Kerrison, and has been accepted as a member of the team as a result (going on training camps with them). But not sure if he's actually an official member of Team Sky (can't remember the new name)???
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf "can't run"...but outruns Don (the bike stud) and wins in Cannes!!! [rock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rock wrote:
PJC wrote:

If you want to play semantics, he broke the IM Australia record (by name only) by less than a minute. He broke the current IM Australia course record by 8 minutes. Beating the record of the current course by 8 minutes is a significantly better achievement that the 'name only' record of 22 seconds. Your 'fact' is irrelevant to the significance of the time Wurf posted. The significance is to compare it to recent times on a 'like for like' basis to assess how good of a performance it was relative to the current competition. Your line of thought and argument is useless apart from trying to prove a point that adds no value to the conversation, now run along and go play with your toys.

If you want to play semantics, the current course has a different run course at Port than it did when the record you are claiming was set.

I'll go by what Ironman is saying as they run the sport. Not some hero on a forum with zero ability to say their record is more valid than Ironmans.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf "can't run"...but outruns Don (the bike stud) and wins in Cannes!!! (update-wins IMOZ 2:50 run) [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was it under Kerrisons tutelage that a clean Froome beat the Lance/Pantani record up Ventoux by 35 seconds?
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf "can't run"...but outruns Don (the bike stud) and wins in Cannes!!! (update-wins IMOZ 2:50 run) [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/...text=0&width=560" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

Rhymenocerus wrote:
Quote Reply

Prev Next