Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Will the crashing economy affect your participation in Triathlon?
Quote | Reply
Wow. These are some terrible economic times. And it seems like this is only the beginning. Will this affect your decision to participate in triathlon?
Last edited by: aerobike: Sep 17, 08 14:37
Quote Reply
Re: Will the crashing economy affect your participation in Triathlon? [aerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Will the crashing economy affect your participation in Triathlon? [aerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
'Terrible economic times'?

What country do you live in - Zimbabwe?
Quote Reply
Re: Will the crashing economy affect your participation in Triathlon? [Learn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
'Terrible economic times'?

What country do you live in - Zimbabwe?
What planet do you live on?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. Being close to the advertising world, my business is in the crapper. I'm looking at cheaper travel races than before. France may have to wait.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It probably has a little bit to do with the economy, but I do not have a job yet (recent college grad), and I am poor. To couple with that if I don't have one by the next month, I'm taking this test called the CBEST so I can become a substitute teacher at my old hs in the meanwhile. That test falls on the date before xterra nationals. Coupled with the fact that I don't really have any money, and I doubt anyone would be leaving from southern california on saturday afternoon up to tahoe for the race (no sharing gas money), the actual $150 entry fee itself, and the gas prices, I have decided to stay local this year.

To detract from that statement I'll be doing the three races in my sig., which coincidentally tally up to $160 in entry fees.

-------------------------
"I like to start out slow, and then taper off."

-Doug Thorne (TVHS XC)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I posted a similar query a couple months ago and did'nt get very many responses. Guess I was a little early. I think the fact that IMC opened up twice to on line entries suggests there is a tipping point. Of course, that could also be due to the "70.3 effect" or the glut of IM's, but I think we are seeing people re think their budgets and travelling less. Think Globally, race locally.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Careful. The 'R' word (specifically admitting that such a thing might actually exist) is a touchy subject for some.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure there are individual factors involved, but I started cutting back this year.

More (small) local races and less traveling to the "big" races.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a lot of people in triathlon their demographic hovers slightly (or far...) above those most adversly affected by the recalibration of our economy. I spoke to a friend and customer yesterday- a fine fellow whom I was pleased to hear from- whose business is foreclosures- he is doing very well right now. Another customer I talked to said he was "getting rich" off the Lehman implosion. On the flip side there are people who are really hurting.

In general the U.S. economy is robust, diverse and powerful enough that this is what it is- a reallocation, a recalibration- of some times where there may have been some fairly different judgement applied to financial decisions than maybe wasn't optimal going forward. It is actually a time of great opportunity.

As for my involvement: There are a lot of things I'd give up before I gave up this sport.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Last edited by: Tom Demerly: Sep 17, 08 17:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope, until Hammer Gel goes to $1,700 a gallon I'm in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It will put a damper on my plans for next year. We will not be returning to Boise for the 70.3 in 2009 even though it was a really good time and I want to try the late start idea. With both my wife and me doing an IM at Canada next year that will blow the tri budget pretty well to hell so it's little local races for us all summer next year until Canada.

Dave

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Re: Will the crashing economy affect your participation in Triathlon? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am with Jack. Parked the race car for nw and signed up for more Tris. They are cheaper and better for you! :)

Seriously, what we are seeing is a FINANCIAL crisis, not an ECONOMIC crises. The economy though challenged is still fundamentally intact, so far. Lets hope we are near the bottom. In three years, this will be a distant memory. :)

Meanwhile sign up for more races and get out there and have FUN!

TT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably not .... but then terrible economic times seems a bit exaggerated ... maybe challenging would be a bit more realistic.

? Do NAS events require a 5 day stay if you sleep in your SUV ? ;-)
Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Will the crashing economy affect your participation in Triathlon? [Learn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>>Terrible economic times'?

>>>What country do you live in - Zimbabwe?

you must be on john mccain's campaign staff.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Sep 17, 08 17:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes. Because of these terrible economic times, I will not be participating in any triathlons.
Quote Reply
Re: Will the crashing economy affect your participation in Triathlon? [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
>>>Terrible economic times'?

>>>What country do you live in - Zimbabwe?

you must be on john mccain's campaign staff.
I always knew you hated freedom...
Quote Reply
Re: Will the crashing economy affect your participation in Triathlon? [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey, come one now. i'm going to ditch my look for a specialized next year!
Quote Reply
Re: Will the crashing economy affect your participation in Triathlon? [tritiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I am with Jack. Parked the race car for nw and signed up for more Tris. They are cheaper and better for you! :)

Seriously, what we are seeing is a FINANCIAL crisis, not an ECONOMIC crises. The economy though challenged is still fundamentally intact, so far. Lets hope we are near the bottom. In three years, this will be a distant memory. :)

Meanwhile sign up for more races and get out there and have FUN!

TT
Oil is $100 a barrel and that is low relative to what it was over the summer. Unemployment is on the rise. Food prices are sky high. Gold had a record breaking increase today at 9%. Inflation is increasing. The financial sector is failing. Banks are crumbling. The housing sector already failed. GDP is barely growing if not stagnant or slightly decreasing. I hardly say that is just a financial crisis. This is also turning to a global crisis as evidenced by the suspension of the Russian markets in Russia as well. I am curious how all these factors affect consumption of triathlon goods and participation in triathlon.
Last edited by: aerobike: Sep 17, 08 17:11
Quote Reply
Re: Will the crashing economy affect your participation in Triathlon? [gbot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Recession means the economy is contracting - which so far, it has not done.

Remember though, if you've lost your job, the unemployment rate is 100%....so a "challenging" versus "crashing" economy is all a matter of perspective, right? In any case, there is a good bit of economic Darwinism going on out there - i.e. the investment bank thinly capitalized + highly levered model cannot survive in today's market...and the survivors will be stronger and smarter - which is ultimately a good thing.

As for impact on triathlon - will probably just do local races....hate handing Delta an ever increasing chunk of money to abuse my bike
Last edited by: John52: Sep 17, 08 17:13
Quote Reply
Re: Will the crashing economy affect your participation in Triathlon? [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
hey, come one now. i'm going to ditch my look for a specialized next year!
you can get rid of your french bike--you're still obviously a commie.....
Quote Reply
Re: Will the crashing economy affect your participation in Triathlon? [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, tinkoff is my favorite cycling team.

but that settles it, the french bike goes. although i'm keeping the other one that starts with c and ends with o.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Wow. These are some terrible economic times. And it seems like this is only the beginning. Will this affect your decision to participate in triathlon?
No, but it could affect the viability of some of the races I may do. One nice event here was pushed into oblivion this year. The poor economy could keep sponsorship dollars down.

Don

Tri-ing to have fun. Anything else is just a bonus!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with Jack.....more hours spent training = less hours watching my retirement accounts waste away.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was telling some people yesterday as the Dow took a crap that I have never been so happy to be poor. I didn't lose a penny!

;-)

Won't affect my racing. I get a 100% raise next year to a whopping 45k. What will I DO with all that MONEY???? I'm thinking of getting an extra bedroom in my apartment where I can count the Benjamins.

Jodi

ps. Although with my huge raise to intern salary, I'll be working twice as much, thus likely not have a free weekend all year to race. Hmmmmm....
Quote Reply

Prev Next