Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Why is everyone selling their Specialized Transitions?
Quote | Reply
Tons of Specialized Transitions for sale in the Classifieds sections. I cannot recall another time were so many of the same bike were for sale.

What's up?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Why is everyone selling their Specialized Transitions? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They want a Speed Concept? :)

Actually, I am only half-joking....lots of folks checking out my Emery built SC in Rapids today.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is everyone selling their Specialized Transitions? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They finally got the memo. It reads:

"Specialized = Lame."

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: Why is everyone selling their Specialized Transitions? [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnman wrote:

"Specialized = Lame."

Lame? Nothing lame about the shiv.

http://www.frostyjunction.com/
https://twitter.com/FrostyJunction
Quote Reply
Re: Why is everyone selling their Specialized Transitions? [FrostyJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X2

Quote | Reply
We are now a couple years into the next gen of top-end bikes (shiv, speed concept, P4, etc.). Lots of guys are probably upgrading. The Transition was never that fast a bike, and now it's quite a bit behind the top-tier bikes.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Why is everyone selling their Specialized Transitions? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Define fast? By all data presented here, the Transition was an aero draw for the P3. Which at the time was pretty much acknowledged as the fastest bike until the next generation of bikes started showing up. The only thing that could be said negatively about the Transition was it kind of "heavy" compared to some other tri bikes. Something the 9 series Speed Concept shares, as the stock aerobar with corresponding integrated parts is kinda heavy. Since weight is largely not a factor for most courses, it is really a moot point.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell
Quote Reply
Re: Why is everyone selling their Specialized Transitions? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
We are now a couple years into the next gen of top-end bikes (shiv, speed concept, P4, etc.). Lots of guys are probably upgrading. The Transition was never that fast a bike, and now it's quite a bit behind the top-tier bikes.
I don't know what I'm doing wrong, then, if the Transition is quite a bit behind an SC, because I went from a Transition (with Tula) last year to an SC9 this year, and my aerolabbed CdA from TTs isn't any lower, indeed if anything it's higher on average. The UK competition record for a 10 mile TT of 17:57 was set on a Transition last year. That rider has changed to a Shiv this year and it's hard to say he's going any faster based on his times so far this year. Any difference has to be pretty small, IMO, unless you're riding slowly with a strong crosswind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
The Transition was never that fast a bike...

Huh? Tell that to ST'er nslckevin...he managed to set the 50+ 40K record just a few weeks ago on a Transition:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...0k%20record;#3383675

I guess you've never seen the tunnel data from Mark Cote showing the Transition basically equivalent to a P3C. Here...let's replace "Transition" with "P3C" in your comment and see how it looks:

"The P3C was never that fast a bike, and now it's quite a bit behind the top-tier bikes."

Hmmm...seems a bit over the top, no? ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Why is everyone selling their Specialized Transitions? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't Rapp race with his in the beginning of the year?

Re: Why is everyone selling their Specialized Transitions? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:
The Transition was never that fast a bike...

Huh? Tell that to ST'er nslckevin...he managed to set the 50+ 40K record just a few weeks ago on a Transition:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...0k%20record;#3383675

I guess you've never seen the tunnel data from Mark Cote showing the Transition basically equivalent to a P3C. Here...let's replace "Transition" with "P3C" in your comment and see how it looks:

"The P3C was never that fast a bike, and now it's quite a bit behind the top-tier bikes."

Hmmm...seems a bit over the top, no? ;-)

Well first off: genetics > training > aero > weight Cancellara could beat me on a beach cruser. Some very fast rides at Kona have been logged on some less than optimally aero setups.

Yeah, probably a bit strongly stated. Specialized even claimed it was faster than a P3....though they used the stock wheels on each bike, and given the Rovals it wasn't exactly apples to apples. We can debate where the Transition sits in the aero hierarchy, since there are as many wind tunnel tests as there are opinions (back to Vrooman's quote that their bikes always come in second in every competitor's test).
All that being said, it's clear that the Transition is now one generation back, so a lot of people who have to have the latest-greatest are movin' on up. Same thing is happening with pre-firecrest Zipps.

Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my transition...just sayin...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some dude just happened to reply to every person selling a Transition in the past two months looking for a seat post. They all came to the top of the forum at the same time.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is everyone selling their Specialized Transitions? [manitou820] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
manitou820 wrote:
Some dude just happened to reply to every person selling a Transition in the past two months looking for a seat post. They all came to the top of the forum at the same time.

Yeah, I saw that. But, even before that, there were 5-6 posted in the last month. The last guy said, "I guess I will add to the Transition list" or something to that effect.

I am just a bit surprised. I just switched to the Transition after reading the rave reviews of Slowman and Rapp.

The SC is a damn sexy and very fine bike. But, I sure did chuckle this weekend during my HIM watching a number of people with very, very little drop sitting quite upright on their SC. That certainly is not the bike's fault. Perhaps they should have been put on a "tall" bike like ... oh, I dunno ... a Transition?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Why is everyone selling their Specialized Transitions? [manitou820] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
manitou820 wrote:

There is ANOTHER Transition Pro listed today.

Well, it certainly is a buyer's market.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:

Absolute rubbish.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is everyone selling their Specialized Transitions? [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnman wrote:

"Specialized = Lame."

Hmmmm ... I must have missed that memo. Too bad there never are any fast guys on the Specialized Transition.

But, I guess you are right. This bike is pretty lame. It is so lame, I often find small hoards of people swarming her in my transition spot. They probably just want to gather to mock the owner, right? ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm selling mine because I got another one. Love the bike.

There are definitely alot for sale, but I'd guess it's coincidence. I don't see why you'd upgrade to a UCI Shiv, it's basically a Transition.

My timing on selling is apparently sh*t, but I'm not in a hurry. Still a stellar bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is when smart people with longer legs, shorter torsos and fewer $$$$ get a fast bike on the cheap.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Transition was never that fast a bike, and now it's quite a bit behind the top-tier bikes.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well then, I guess it's a good thing that the legs of and the position of the person sitting on the bike make the bike go fast. It's been proven time and time again. Fast rider on bike equals fast time, slow rider on same bike= slow time.

I like my Transition and it's passed a lot of people on "faster bikes."
Quote Reply
Re: Why is everyone selling their Specialized Transitions? [goallout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
goallout wrote:
The Transition was never that fast a bike, and now it's quite a bit behind the top-tier bikes.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well then, I guess it's a good thing that the legs of and the position of the person sitting on the bike make the bike go fast. It's been proven time and time again. Fast rider on bike equals fast time, slow rider on same bike= slow time.

I like my Transition and it's passed a lot of people on "faster bikes."

As I mentioned further up in the thread: genetics > training > aero > weight

Stadler posted smoking bike splits on his Kuota, not exactly the fastest frame out there.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It cracks me up that you seem to think the Transition is a brick. As others have said, it tested better than the P3. More importantly, it PROPERLY fits a large segment of riders, unlike many of the other bikes out there right now, including a number of "super bikes."

Any company can make tall claims, but being able to back it up is another story. The
Cervelo P3 Carbon has gotten a lot of media attention, but when tested under the
same wind tunnel set-up as the Specialized Transition, the Transition came out on top.

The Specialized Transition has lower drag at all crosswind angles compared to the
Cervelo P3 Carbon, with significantly reduced drag at 0 and 5 degrees.

Head-on, the Transition has 9% less drag than a Cervelo P3 Carbon.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
It cracks me up that you seem to think the Transition is a brick. As others have said, it tested better than the P3. More importantly, it PROPERLY fits a large segment of riders, unlike many of the other bikes out there right now, including a number of "super bikes."

Any company can make tall claims, but being able to back it up is another story. The
Cervelo P3 Carbon has gotten a lot of media attention, but when tested under the
same wind tunnel set-up as the Specialized Transition, the Transition came out on top.

The Specialized Transition has lower drag at all crosswind angles compared to the
Cervelo P3 Carbon, with significantly reduced drag at 0 and 5 degrees.

Head-on, the Transition has 9% less drag than a Cervelo P3 Carbon.

I wouldn't (and didn't) describe it as a brick, but looking at the Transition there are obvious areas where aerodynamics could have been improved (ex. sloping TT); it's notable that most of these were addressed/fixed in the Shiv.

The specialized literature that shows the Transition as faster than the P3 has one fatal flaw IMO. They tested with stock wheelsets, so the Transition had the benefit of the Roval wheels while the P3 basically had training hoops on [see the pics below...the Rovals are much narrower and lower spoke count]. They also tested the P3 with an un-cleaned-up cable routing (thus the poor 0 deg. yaw numbers), but you can argue that that's fair since that's how it ships.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Specialized flooded the market with them, now they are everywhere and second tier compared to the new flagships. I'm sure they are great bikes, just lots of red/black/white Transitions everywhere.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is everyone selling their Specialized Transitions? [goallout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Darn I didnt know my bike was slow yesterday when I won my AG with the fastest bike leg on my brick of a bike. Imagine what I could have done if I had a fast bike.
Quote Reply

Prev Next