Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why is everyone selling their Specialized Transitions? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you guys know me as a Cervelo Fan-Boi and you are right.

But the transition is definitely on-par with the P3, it seems which is faster depends on tiny details like which model year and which fork each was equipped with.

One minor point would be that if you used a center pull brake on the p3 it might win out by a bit more consistently.

Either way - great bike.

I suspect people are selling because of so many new uberbikes coming on the market, like the Shiv, P4, Speed Concept, etc

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Last edited by: jackmott: Jun 27, 11 6:47
Quote Reply
Re: Why is everyone selling their Specialized Transitions? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welll I can honestly say I have raced my 2011 Transition Pro 4 times this year. In the Top 3 Overall twice and won my AG the other two so its not slow. BUT........I will be putting mine up for sale this week as my 2012 Shiv will be delivered on Tues or Wed!!!!!!!!

We all have to remember it all in the engine, Lance, Crowie, Macca etc. could beat all of us On huffys!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Why is everyone selling their Specialized Transitions? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Ummm...I would argue that those Roval star hub abominations weren't doing the Transition any favors drag-wise, particularly in non-zero yaw conditions...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because so many people want to buy them?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Why is everyone selling their Specialized Transitions? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:

I wouldn't (and didn't) describe it as a brick, but looking at the Transition there are obvious areas where aerodynamics could have been improved (ex. sloping TT); it's notable that most of these were addressed/fixed in the Shiv.

Um, no and no.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know UCI concerns don't matter much to the crowd around here, but if you showed up at Jr./U23/Elite Nationals in Augusta last week with a Transition (as quite a number of young riders did), you also needed to have a hacksaw to cut off the little wings that sit on the down tube right where it meets the fork. They were very strict about that. I've got a buddy there who has a frame business who said he was quite busy last week before the TT making that particular modification for riders.

I keep hearing from folks who say the frame is very flexy and that the rear brake sucks. Just hearsay to me. I have no direct experience with the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is everyone selling their Specialized Transitions? [Silver Comet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Silver Comet wrote:
I keep hearing from folks who say the frame is very flexy

ha! I'm pretty sure it is the opposite of flexy, though the sloping top tube can mean a lot of exposed seat post which can feel 'flexy' but that isn't a performance degrading flex.

of course hardly any decent bike has performance degrading flex. especially TT bikes.

Quote Reply
Re: Why is everyone selling their Specialized Transitions? [Silver Comet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also know someone who raced who didn't know anything about the extension rule, the saddle setback rule, the 3:1 rule. He had to spend a lot of time to get ready. And this is why we don't take advice from top level cyclists.

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Quote Reply
Re: Why is everyone selling their Specialized Transitions? [msuguy512] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This blogger presented a set of pros and cons for the bike family:

http://freakride.blogspot.com/...-vs-cervelo-p3c.html

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Silver Comet wrote:
I know UCI concerns don't matter much to the crowd around here, but if you showed up at Jr./U23/Elite Nationals in Augusta last week with a Transition (as quite a number of young riders did), you also needed to have a hacksaw to cut off the little wings that sit on the down tube right where it meets the fork. They were very strict about that...

A**-hats...

Silver Comet wrote:
I keep hearing from folks who say the frame is very flexy and that the rear brake sucks. Just hearsay to me. I have no direct experience with the bike.

Ummm...no, and no.

Quote Reply
Re: Why is everyone selling their Specialized Transitions? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom Demerly wrote:
This blogger presented a set of pros and cons for the bike family:

http://freakride.blogspot.com/...-vs-cervelo-p3c.html

All those pics and speculation are great and all...but the only figure that matters is this one:

Quote Reply
Re: Why is everyone selling their Specialized Transitions? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah but according to the blogger that would change at a 90 degree wind angle. ;-)

Styrrell

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Why is everyone selling their Specialized Transitions? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flexy? Good grief no. Matter of fact, it's the opposite of that.

Rear brake can be a pain if you have less mechanical skills than a monkey & never ever clean your bike.

Beyond that, it's a non-issue. Once it's setup, it's good to go.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is everyone selling their Specialized Transitions? [grosso27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grosso27 wrote:
Flexy? Good grief no. Matter of fact, it's the opposite of that.

Rear brake can be a pain if you have less mechanical skills than a monkey & never ever clean your bike.

Beyond that, it's a non-issue. Once it's setup, it's good to go.

Yup...and if your rear tire is the same width as your rim (as it should be), you don't even need to release it to get the wheel in and out. I never even think about the rear brake on my Transition...it just works.

Quote Reply
Re: Why is everyone selling their Specialized Transitions? [grosso27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I suspect this gets to the heart of the matter as concerns the folks from whom I heard this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have they started selling replacement parts for the internals that corrode over and stop functioning properly?

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Quote Reply
Re: Why is everyone selling their Specialized Transitions? [msuguy512] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
msuguy512 wrote:
Have they started selling replacement parts for the internals that corrode over and stop functioning properly?

They only corrode if you ride them over a combination of salt/sand (cough...fiesta island...cough) and then don't clean it out ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When will you people learn that it's not about the bike. JFC.

Buy whatever you can afford and makes you happy.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is everyone selling their Specialized Transitions? [Toby Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toby Tri wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

I wouldn't (and didn't) describe it as a brick, but looking at the Transition there are obvious areas where aerodynamics could have been improved (ex. sloping TT); it's notable that most of these were addressed/fixed in the Shiv.

Um, no and no.

Ok, let me restate using your logic and see how it sounds: The Transition has no areas where aerodynamics could be improved, it's notable that the Shiv is constructed absolutely identically to the Transition.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Why is everyone selling their Specialized Transitions? [missinglink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
missinglink wrote:
When will you people learn that it's not about the bike

when my wife and I quit winning and losing races by a handful of seconds.

until that time we will both train hard AND have near perfect equipment. and we will win a bit more often for it.

Quote Reply
Re: Why is everyone selling their Specialized Transitions? [missinglink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
missinglink wrote:
When will you people learn that it's not about the bike. JFC.

When will you people learn that there's a supply side and a demand side in the speed equation?

Quote Reply
Re: Why is everyone selling their Specialized Transitions? [Toby Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toby Tri wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

Um, no and no.

I don't know if the sloping top tube is the huge drag producer everyone wants to think it is.

First; Look at the the top tube in relation to the headtube. By pulling the tube down slightly, the first 12-16 inches of top-tube fall in a continuous line behind the head-tube. That makes the tube length-to-width ratio for the top half of the head tube something like 10 or 15:1, rather than the UCI regulated 3:1.

Second; John Cobb has some windtunnel footage where he used smoke to show how the airstream travels around the rider. It is basically parallel to the ground as it travels over the arms and then drops/curves down to accomadate the area taken up by the chest. The angle of that curve closely follows the drop of the top tube. This probably explains why the Willier TT bike he designed had a very similar slope to the top tube.

Third: The Transition was designed before the UCI got uptight about the 3:1 rule for bars and seatposts. The shorter the frame, the longer the skinny seatpost.

I don't think you should take the marketing hype at face value because nobody is going to claim they are the 3 or 4th best bike. My old wind-tunnel connection was the first to to say that the components on a frame could easily make one bike faster than another (same with rider/bike interactions), but the Transition was usually at least as fast as the P3C back the Transition, P3C, Trek TTX and Felt DA were some of the best frames on the market.

As to why there are a bunch for sale? It was a "semi-affordable" bike with a wide distribution network, so there were a lot sold. Given that the first ones are now approaching the 3 to 4 year old mark, it isn't surprising to think that people would want something new.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is everyone selling their Specialized Transitions? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
I don't know if the sloping top tube is the huge drag producer everyone wants to think it is.

not huge, just minor.

Quote:

First; Look at the the top tube in relation to the headtube. By pulling the tube down slightly, the first 12-16 inches of top-tube fall in a continuous line behind the head-tube. That makes the tube length-to-width ratio for the top half of the head tube something like 10 or 15:1, rather than the UCI regulated 3:1.

now imagine the wind coming at a yaw angle other than 0

Quote Reply
Re: Why is everyone selling their Specialized Transitions? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems to me that a flatish airfoil shape would likely produce some lift up to the point of flow separation along the backside (just like a disc wheel). Whether that would occur at 3 or 15 is something nobody without a wind tunnel would know. I guess that just means you really have to haul some a** to keep the effective yaw angle low! :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's because everyone wants the latest and (supposedly) greatest. But the reality in order of importance for speed on a TT/tri bike:

1. Position on the bike
2. Speed suit or at least tight fitting garment
3. Aero helmet
4. Aero wheels
5. Shoe covers
6. THE BIKE

Why spend $8000 on a new bike when you will get more gains with $30 shoe covers?
Quote Reply

Prev Next