Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Why do illegal audio devices seem to be increasing at races?
Quote | Reply
I did the Half Moon Bay race on Sunday. I was shocked to see a person wearing an illegal audio device heading in to the swim. I then talked to my wife who was working in transition and she was shocked to see so many folks coming back from the bike wearing headsets. Then she told me the USAT official who went out on the run course on a bike told her he was
shocked how many penalties he gave for folks wearing headsets on the run.

Are others seeing this increase of illegal use of audio devices at your races? Why are so many folks willing to ignore the rules? Do not like the rules, do your own race.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Why do illegal audio devices seem to be increasing at races? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
I did the Half Moon Bay race on Sunday. I was shocked to see a person wearing an illegal audio device heading in to the swim. I then talked to my wife who was working in transition and she was shocked to see so many folks coming back from the bike wearing headsets. Then she told me the USAT official who went out on the run course on a bike told her he was

Are others seeing this increase of illegal use of audio devices at your races? Why are so many folks willing to ignore the rules? Do not like the rules, do your own race.

Why worry about it, did it impact your race? The people using them are hopefully behind you

Re: Why do illegal audio devices seem to be increasing at races? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave, last year at a race I saw a guy on the run wearing 'beats' headphones, those things are huge! It is surprising, and I think some just don't know. Others just maybe don't care??? A friend was asking me about the rule, and all he could keep saying was "why?" After three or four different rounds of an explanation and then him responding with "why" I just said because that's the rule, so either follow it, or contact USAT about changing it, but in the mean time follow it or break the rule and take whatever consequence. He dropped it, and has not worn any earpieces in his triathlons or duathlons. I enjoy some music while working out, but get the reason for the rule, and really have no problem following it. This is such a simple rule to follow too, but go figure. Is this a prob at the Oly and Sprint distance (more likely chance of newbies) or is at the longer distances as well (70.3 and 140.6?)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did my first triathlon about 4 years ago, and I wore heaphones on the run portion. I received a 5 minute penalty, and I was totally fine with that. Now a days I race competitively and of course I don't use headphones.

I'm sort of torn because I agree that headphones should not be worn at high levels, but if it encourages more people to race I am in support of that as well... (I'm speaking about the run portion only as I don't see it as a safety issue.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have don Tris and Dus for 6 years now and have never seen headphones used in those races. the closest was the person carrying a radio. So no head phones, just crappy mono quality music for all to hear. I laughed at that one.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Why do illegal audio devices seem to be increasing at races? [JustinNorCal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JustinNorCal wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Why worry about it, did it impact your race? The people using them are hopefully behind you

Interesting response from a USAT Level 1 coach.

First, it's against the USAT rules.

Second, especially on a bike course, it's a danger. If your ears are plugged, you probably won't hear a competitor pass you. Or, even worse, the crazy in the car trying to pass.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do illegal audio devices seem to be increasing at races? [tkos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tkos wrote:
I have don Tris and Dus for 6 years now and have never seen headphones used in those races. the closest was the person carrying a radio. So no head phones, just crappy mono quality music for all to hear. I laughed at that one.

I wouldn't mind that in a race. It would be entertaining.

Headphones, though, are definitely a safety hazard. I remember volunteering at a race and directing runners through an intersection. Someone came through with headphones, didn't even glance around for traffic, and just started running down the road toward cars instead of across where she was being directed. I waved and yelled and even tried to block her path. She just went around me. After several yards, she realized that she was running head first into traffic and turned around, but damn, pay attention.

Every time I do a trail race, I want to see a ban on headphones and trekking poles. The people who use those things are so oblivious to the people around them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
similarly, i wish RDs would be more aggressive with DQ'ing people who ride up to transition without their helmet on. At Oceanside a few weeks back, as we were walking back to our hotel after bike check-in, I think i counted at least 50 people all riding in w/o helmet. Most on fancy bikes and with lean physiques, so the types of folks who know the rules. No matter how short the ride, or at how slow a pace, riding without a helmet is dangerous. Same goes for driving your car around the block to the grocery store, wear a seatbelt!
Quote Reply
Re: Why do illegal audio devices seem to be increasing at races? [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HandHeartCrown wrote:
JustinNorCal wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Second, especially on a bike course, it's a danger. If your ears are plugged, you probably won't hear a competitor pass you. Or, even worse, the crazy in the car trying to pass.

My point is that their were several officials and race staff there. Let them handle it. We have no power to enforce such rules because we aren't officials. There was an official at the bike out and run out. They could have easily given those athletes a penalty or DQ'd them. Also, while this was a USAT sanctioned event there are a lot of Non USAT events around the country and some races like Roth allow headphones on the run.

Re: Why do illegal audio devices seem to be increasing at races? [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Judging from the 5K race I did yesterday, people can be just as oblivious without headphones or poles. Numerous people took wrong turns and didn't respond to volunteers. They weren't wearing anything and got mad. The people with headphones were all happy.

Maybe we just need more music at events.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Why do illegal audio devices seem to be increasing at races? [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HandHeartCrown wrote:
JustinNorCal wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

This is one of many reasons I would never use a coach. When a coach basically says who cares about these rules, I wonder what other stuff they support their athletes doing to break the rules? I little drugs maybe?

And yep, when folks cannot hear on your left, either on the bike or run, it is as safety issue which is why the rules is in place. But again, some coaches also do not seem to care about safety.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
HandHeartCrown wrote:
JustinNorCal wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

This is one of many reasons I would never use a coach. When a coach basically says who cares about these rules, I wonder what other stuff they support their athletes doing to break the rules? I little drugs maybe?

And yep, when folks cannot hear on your left, either on the bike or run, it is as safety issue which is why the rules is in place. But again, some coaches also do not seem to care about safety.

Dave they are probably wearing them because they DON"T HAVE A COACH to advise them on the rules and are unaware. I didn't say whether or not I cared, I simply implied leave it to the officials who were there to enforce it. Half Moon Bay had 2 or 3 officials. I can assure you I would never work with an athlete who would dope because having raced bikes at an elite level I have first hand been a victim of the doping era and the unlevel playing field it created if you weren't willing to play.

I would take up the headphone issue with Ryan Coelho the race director so he can address it with his officials. That will make more of an impact than posting about it on Slowtwitch. Here is is email - ryan@usaproductions.org

Last edited by: JustinNorCal: Apr 18, 16 9:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having someone say for you to let the volunteers and race officials handle it to them (maybe) supporting clients taking drugs is a stretch to say the least.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Re: Why do illegal audio devices seem to be increasing at races? [mknight84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mknight84 wrote:
Having someone say for you to let the volunteers and race officials handle it to them (maybe) supporting clients taking drugs is a stretch to say the least.

Thank you

Re: Why do illegal audio devices seem to be increasing at races? [milkman1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milkman1982 wrote:
similarly, i wish RDs would be more aggressive with DQ'ing people who ride up to transition without their helmet on. At Oceanside a few weeks back, as we were walking back to our hotel after bike check-in, I think i counted at least 50 people all riding in w/o helmet. Most on fancy bikes and with lean physiques, so the types of folks who know the rules. No matter how short the ride, or at how slow a pace, riding without a helmet is dangerous. Same goes for driving your car around the block to the grocery store, wear a seatbelt!

ummm sarcasm?
Quote Reply
Re: Why do illegal audio devices seem to be increasing at races? [rTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rTri wrote:
I did my first triathlon about 4 years ago, and I wore heaphones on the run portion. I received a 5 minute penalty, and I was totally fine with that. Now a days I race competitively and of course I don't use headphones.

I'm sort of torn because I agree that headphones should not be worn at high levels, but if it encourages more people to race I am in support of that as well... (I'm speaking about the run portion only as I don't see it as a safety issue.)

I find it hard to believe that not being able to use headphones on the run portion is really a big deterrent for people deciding to enter a triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do illegal audio devices seem to be increasing at races? [milkman1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
similarly, i wish RDs would be more aggressive with DQ'ing people who ride up to transition without their helmet on.

Do you think they should give people who are warming up on a bike trainer a penalty for not having a helmet on as well?
Quote Reply
Re: Why do illegal audio devices seem to be increasing at races? [JustinNorCal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JustinNorCal wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
HandHeartCrown wrote:
JustinNorCal wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Dave they are probably wearing them because they DON"T HAVE A COACH to advise them on the rules and are unaware. I didn't say whether or not I cared, I simply implied leave it to the officials who were there to enforce it. Half Moon Bay had 2 or 3 officials. I can assure you I would never work with an athlete who would dope because having raced bikes at an elite level I have first hand been a victim of the doping era and the unlevel playing field it created if you weren't willing to play.

I would take up the headphone issue with Ryan Coelho the race director so he can address it with his officials. That will make more of an impact than posting about it on Slowtwitch. Here is is email - ryan@usaproductions.org

You are the one who asked why would I care? My wife and I are certified RD's. I have been an official. My wife, I, and my son in law help at all the races in Northern Calif. My wife started to work at 5am at half moon bay and stood outside the bike transition for 7 hours. We all worked the TBF ice breaker on Saturday. After I raced I went out a few times and handed out food to the volunteers. We care about and give back to our sport.

I know Ryan very well and he is a good guy. I actually talked to him a few times last week before the race on a few things I found to help him improve stuff.

You totally missed the intent of my post. I was asking, and still ask, are others seeing the increase I have seen over the years? The music headset on the swim was a real shocker.
Had never seen that before.

Officials did a great job Sunday. Again, why are you not supporting the rules as a coach?

Quote Reply
Re: Why do illegal audio devices seem to be increasing at races? [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:
milkman1982 wrote:

ummm sarcasm?

No sarcasm here. This is a very good rule and one that helps set an example for everyone out on two wheels. Do you not cringe when you see hipsters riding their fixies down the street/path with no helmet? I am not sure why people think "it can't happen to them" regarding brain trauma.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milkman1982 wrote:
TriTamp wrote:
milkman1982 wrote:

ummm sarcasm?

No sarcasm here. This is a very good rule and one that helps set an example for everyone out on two wheels. Do you not cringe when you see hipsters riding their fixies down the street/path with no helmet? I am not sure why people think "it can't happen to them" regarding brain trauma.

When I see racers riding their bikes toward transition without a helmet, I remind them that if a USAT official see's them, they can be DQ'ed. This is before or after the race.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
JustinNorCal wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
HandHeartCrown wrote:
JustinNorCal wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

You are the one who asked why would I care? My wife and I are certified RD's. I have been an official. My wife, I, and my son in law help at all the races in Northern Calif. My wife started to work at 5am at half moon bay and stood outside the bike transition for 7 hours. We all worked the TBF ice breaker on Saturday. After I raced I went out a few times and handed out food to the volunteers. We care about and give back to our sport.

I know Ryan very well and he is a good guy. I actually talked to him a few times last week before the race on a few things I found to help him improve stuff.

You totally missed the intent of my post. I was asking, and still ask, are others seeing the increase I have seen over the years? The music headset on the swim was a real shocker.

Officials did a great job Sunday. Again, why are you not supporting the rules as a coach?

Go back and reread what I wrote. I never once said I didn't support the rule or rules. We just don't have the ability enforce them so I won't dwell on it. I would say that the number of people you are seeing probably correlates somehow to the newcomers to triathlon.

Quote | Reply
I have to say I am also surprised that a coach would not openly support the rules. Leaving it up to officials is the wrong way to think about it. If, as a community we can tell fellow athletes "hey you can't wear headphone" then that has a bigger impact. Peer pressure works wonders for rule enforcement.

As a former "elite" cyclist you should know.

Ready or not here I come!
Coaching NY's Southern Tier
Swift^3
Quote Reply
Re: Why do illegal audio devices seem to be increasing at races? [Givingchase] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Givingchase wrote:
I have to say I am also surprised that a coach would not openly support the rules. Leaving it up to officials is the wrong way to think about it. If, as a community we can tell fellow athletes "hey you can't wear headphone" then that has a bigger impact. Peer pressure works wonders for rule enforcement.

As a former "elite" cyclist you should know.

Well at the time you were allowed to wear radios during races for communication. Or do you mean peer pressure ;)

Re: Why do illegal audio devices seem to be increasing at races? [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In general, I guess you're right. However, I do think their are a good number of casual racers whom enjoy their race experience better with headphones. Having come from only run racing, I had a hard time accepting this aspect of triathlon initially.

It does seem like a silly rule for the run portion, but I guess it feels more "authentic" with it in place. I think most headphone wearers would be in favor of a 40 minute penalty. That way they can enjoy their race without the tryhards getting angry about their finishing place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JustinNorCal wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
JustinNorCal wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
HandHeartCrown wrote:
JustinNorCal wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Go back and reread what I wrote. I never once said I didn't support the rule or rules. We just don't have the ability enforce them so I won't dwell on it. I would say that the number of people you are seeing probably correlates somehow to the newcomers to triathlon.

You challenged me why do I care! I care about safety. I care about the rules. I care that all of use try to help educate new athletes in our sport. And I care when a coach asked
on a forum like this why do I care, I am usually in front of them anyways. Oh well, ....

Are others seeing any increase in use at your races?

My suggestion to all RD's is they have big signs at the registration tents no audio devices. The RD's also have big signs at the entrance and exit of transition. And, I hope the RD and officials before the race agree that if caught, they are DQ'ed and put this on these signs.

Quote Reply

Prev Next