Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why do illegal audio devices seem to be increasing at races? [Brooks Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a theoretical argument on the physical extent of the race site and the temporal conditions that create the race site. Didn't you post awhile back of an official DQing someone going home from the race? I would argue that after the race there is no race site, and that the contract was over. So where do they get the authority to retroactively apply a rule to an event that is in the past (or the future) and not on the undefined race site? I contend they do not have that authority and are in breach of contract for acting outside the scope of that contract.
Last edited by: HuffNPuff: Apr 20, 16 10:13
Quote Reply
Re: Why do illegal audio devices seem to be increasing at races? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I posted that a guy was leaving the transition area to ride his bike to his car that was parked in the designated parking area for the course and was DQ'd while still at the "race site". Not X miles from the race site, like the made up scenario you were suggested could become an issue (once you leave the "race site" usat doesnt care what you do, you could leave the site, give your car to your wife 5 miles from home and ride home with no helmet, and USAT wouldnt care nor have any authority).

And according to the rules, USAT has that authority. So I think you just don't like that they can do it (which I can understand, it's basically non sequential to the actual race results). But I dont think it's some breach of contract that you imply they are doing. They are in fact simply adhering to the rules. It may be a stupid rule, but that's irrelevant to what you are saying. You are implying that USAT by doing that is going beyond their reach. I disagree due to how the rules are setup and YOU as a participant acknowledge/agree to live/race under.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: Brooks Doughtie: Apr 20, 16 10:44
Quote Reply
Re: Why do illegal audio devices seem to be increasing at races? [wmoore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wmoore wrote:
HBB wrote:
I wear a helmet almost all the time when I'm on my bike, however, I think that any actions taken on towards someone while not actually racing is crossing the line. What people choose to do before or after a race is on them.

First, I agree with your sentiment, if during the race you want to require a helmet for liability reasons, fine, whatever.

Second, I can't remember the last time I've ridden my bike without a helmet on.

Third, what really bugs me about the "must ride your helmet" both before and after the race is that I actually think it results in LESS SAFE activities sometimes. When I'm going to and from transition from the parking lot, I'm almost always going to have a backpack on with my gear in it for the transition area. And likewise, I'm probably going to have an aero helmet and not a normal road helmet. These two things DO NOT WORK WELL TOGETHER. The tail of the helmet constantly hits the top of the bag and prevents me from turning my head much to either side, or "locks" my head so that the tail is always to one side of the bag and preventing me from looking to one side of the bike. So while having the helmet on _may_ prevent some head injuries if I am in an accident (which, frankly, that's not as conclusive as most people think it is), it also _may_ increase my chances of being in an accident in the first place. I'm pretty sure, for me at least, that my chance of being in an accident increase far more than the helmet reduces my chance of injury from an accident. So in the end, a net loss of safety for me.

Now, we can all argue whether or not it's smart to ride with an aero helmet with a tail that hits the top of a backpack and that I should be walking instead. Fine, maybe I'm stupid for doing it. But ... that's the choice I've made to ride with it on to save me a mile of walking down a road with little to no car traffic on it and little to no chance of a serious accident occurring.

The simple solution here is just wear your aerohelmet backwards...
Quote Reply
Re: Why do illegal audio devices seem to be increasing at races? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let me say one last thing. I understand and partly agree with the idea it's fairly silly to DQ someone riding their bike from tansition area to their car wo a helmet. But they have that authority and aren't reaching beyond their means if that occurs, imo.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Why do illegal audio devices seem to be increasing at races? [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:
milkman1982 wrote:

No sarcasm here. This is a very good rule and one that helps set an example for everyone out on two wheels. Do you not cringe when you see hipsters riding their fixies down the street/path with no helmet? I am not sure why people think "it can't happen to them" regarding brain trauma.

I don't cringe. I just think they're idiots.

I don't cringe either. But I grew up in the years before the society collectively decided its desire to not-feel-bad-about-stuff was more important than your right to choose your own risks.
Last edited by: JoeO: Apr 20, 16 11:14
Quote Reply
Re: Why do illegal audio devices seem to be increasing at races? [Brooks Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brooks Doughtie wrote:
Yes I posted that a guy was leaving the transition area to ride his bike to his car that was parked in the designated parking area for the course and was DQ'd while still at the "race site". Not X miles from the race site, like the made up scenario you were suggested could become an issue (once you leave the "race site" usat doesnt care what you do, you could leave the site, give your car to your wife 5 miles from home and ride home with no helmet, and USAT wouldnt care nor have any authority).

And according to the rules, USAT contends that it has that authority. So I think you just don't like that they can do it (which I can understand, it's basically non sequential to the actual race results). But I dont think it's some breach of contract that you imply they are doing. They are in fact simply adhering to the rules. It may be a stupid rule, but that's irrelevant to what you are saying. You are implying that USAT by doing that is going beyond their reach. I disagree due to how the rules are setup and YOU as a participant acknowledge/agree to live/race under.

Fixed it for you. Many companies contend things all the time but find out later that they were legally incorrect. And for the Nth time, this rule is of no consequence to me as I follow the rule and would even if it didn't exist. Likewise, I would wear my seatbelt even if it weren't the law although I believe it should NOT be the law.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So at what point are you going to actually confirm this? Your trying to disprove a point on what evidence?

Eta: I don't see how your point counters anything I've stated. The rules show officials have authority over participants at race site. Not sure you've shown how they are working beyond their reach.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: Brooks Doughtie: Apr 20, 16 11:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am taking a normative position, however, it's not worth the time or expense to go after it. But I assure you that if/when I win the Powerball I would be happy to goad a USAT official into a DQ and then game on! Now back to reality.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do illegal audio devices seem to be increasing at races? [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:

You know, I think you're onto something. It completely defeats the purpose of the rule and actually makes the helmet unsafe in an actual accident, but ... Silly me, I was certain there was a rule somewhere that the helmet must be worn "properly" or "as intended" or something to that effect. But, looking through them again right now, it seems that as long as it meets the safety standards and has the chin strap fastened, I'd be good to go!
Last edited by: wmoore: Apr 20, 16 12:02
Quote Reply
Re: Why do illegal audio devices seem to be increasing at races? [wmoore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wmoore wrote:
noofus wrote:

You know, I think you're onto something. It completely defeats the purpose of the rule and actually makes the helmet unsafe in an actual accident, but ... Silly me, I was certain there was a rule somewhere that the helmet must be worn "properly" or "as intended" or something to that affect. But, looking through them again right now, it seems that as long as it meets the safety standards and has the chin strap fastened, I'd be good to go!

Not to mention all the priceless looks you will get from everyone around! Stick a gopro on your bike to capture the scene.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do illegal audio devices seem to be increasing at races? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because it is a silly rule, for the run, at least.

"If everything seems in control, you aren't going fast enough" -- Mario Andretti
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
I am taking a normative position, however, it's not worth the time or expense to go after it. But I assure you that if/when I win the Powerball I would be happy to goad a USAT official into a DQ and then game on! Now back to reality.

Do you agree that WADA/USADA have authority over what I put in my body outside of a competition?
Quote Reply
Re: Why do illegal audio devices seem to be increasing at races? [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

Do you agree that WADA/USADA have authority over what I put in my body outside of a competition?

Yes, but I don't think the viewpoints are contradictory. PEDs taken OOC directly impact what happens during the race and many other races. By contrast, when an athlete chooses not to wear a helmet while biking to the race, or departing the race, it has zero effect on the race. Left undefined in the latter discussion is when does the race event start and end, and what is the geographic extent of the race venue for which the authority to enforce that rule lies. Those boundaries are undefined. Conversely, we might ask when does the race's liability for its athletes legally begin and end -- recognizing that a personal injury lawyer would attempt to stretch those lines around the globe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Jctriguy wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

Yes, but I don't think the viewpoints are contradictory. PEDs taken OOC directly impact what happens during the race and many other races. By contrast, when an athlete chooses not to wear a helmet while biking to the race, or departing the race, it has zero effect on the race. Left undefined in the latter discussion is when does the race event start and end, and what is the geographic extent of the race venue for which the authority to enforce that rule lies. Those boundaries are undefined. Conversely, we might ask when does the race's liability for its athletes legally begin and end -- recognizing that a personal injury lawyer would attempt to stretch those lines around the globe.

Several years ago I was down in Galveston for the 70.3. Three days prior to the race I was in the parking lot where transition was being setup. Keywords: being setup. Nothing was actually setup yet. I was dropping off some stuff for our tri club tent that was between transition and the run course. I decided to take my bike out of my vehicle to cruise across the parking lot to take a look at the swim course. I did not put my helmet on. I actually had some race official stop me and threaten to DQ me for the race three days later. It was still just a parking lot at this point. There were some Ironman trucks around but nothing was setup. I looked at him, looked at the parking lot, and literally said "Are you fucking kidding me?" He said he had the authority to do so. I told him good luck with that and rode off.

I know the USAT rule. I wouldn't ride around like that on race morning or bike drop off the day before but this was on a Thursday before a Sunday race in what was still just Moody Gardens' parking lot. I fail to see where USAT/WTC could exert their authority in that situation, and I would have liked to have seen them try.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Why do illegal audio devices seem to be increasing at races? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
[
Several years ago I was down in Galveston for the 70.3. Three days prior to the race I was in the parking lot where transition was being setup. Keywords: being setup. Nothing was actually setup yet. I was dropping off some stuff for our tri club tent that was between transition and the run course. I decided to take my bike out of my vehicle to cruise across the parking lot to take a look at the swim course. I did not put my helmet on. I actually had some race official stop me and threaten to DQ me for the race three days later. It was still just a parking lot at this point. There were some Ironman trucks around but nothing was setup. I looked at him, looked at the parking lot, and literally said "Are you fucking kidding me?" He said he had the authority to do so. I told him good luck with that and rode off.

I know the USAT rule. I wouldn't ride around like that on race morning or bike drop off the day before but this was on a Thursday before a Sunday race in what was still just Moody Gardens' parking lot. I fail to see where USAT/WTC could exert their authority in that situation, and I would have liked to have seen them try.

That's insane. That race official sounds like he has a serious stick up his/her butt.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do illegal audio devices seem to be increasing at races? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a great example of overzealous enforcement. As soon as the safety toads put a rule on the books to coerce rather than encourage safe behavior, officialdom goes power mad.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do illegal audio devices seem to be increasing at races? [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And people wonder why races are so hard to get permits for and end up going away and ........wait....WHAT!?!?! that means I am agreeing with something H2o dave said.....for fuck sakes...I can't I can't!!

"one eye doubles my eyesight, so things don't look half bad" John Hiatt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
That is a great example of overzealous enforcement. As soon as the safety toads put a rule on the books to coerce rather than encourage safe behavior, officialdom goes power mad.

Paul, I was flabbergasted by it all. There was even more to the story.

When I came back through a few minutes later the guy I encountered and another official were waiting to talk with me again. The previous guy I spoke with was younger (30's) and this other guy was older (50's). They asked for my name and race number. I told them there was zero chance of that happening and I also reminded them packet pickup was still a day away so technically I didn't have a race number yet (yes, bib #'s had been posted on the internet site already). Apparently, the younger guy didn't like how dismissive I was of him earlier and was worked up about it. The older guy pulled me aside and told me the rule. I told him I knew the rule but did not think it was in anyway applicable to the current status of the parking lot. He said we would agree to disagree on that. He said the rule was in my best interest and all that and they were only trying to enforce the rules and set the tone for the weekend. I told him I appreciated that but thought they were way overstepping their authority. The older guy seemed nice and understanding and we all moved on with life.

I also need to add that the younger official was not wearing any official shirt or anything. So when he initially said something to me I told him to mind his own business and worry about himself. I thought he was some know-it-all, Type-A triathlete dickwad. He then told me he was an official and it was his business. So he and I got off on the wrong foot immediately.

Last edited by: The GMAN: Apr 21, 16 6:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
I thought he was some know-it-all, Type-A triathlete dickwad.

There's some redundancy in there

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Why do illegal audio devices seem to be increasing at races? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
I thought he was some know-it-all, Type-A triathlete dickwad.

There's some redundancy in there

Good point. After I re-read my post it was clear he was both an official and know-it-all, Type-A triathlete dickwad. :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bob - that's just classic. I would have done the same as you and declined to give them my name and race #. I probably would have added that if they tried to interfere with my movements in anyway I would call the police and request to file false arrest charges. I wonder what they would have said if you had told them you were just a spectator? Dollars to donuts some officials would probably tell everyone they had to wear a helmet in THEIR (self-claimed) area even if state law did not require it. Contest organizers have a right to set the rules for their event, but they can't apply them outside of the event without basically ceding themselves lawmaking powers. Greater specificity in the temporal and geographical boundaries of the race event would go a long way in improving the helmet rule. r/Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Why do illegal audio devices seem to be increasing at races? [moneydog59] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
moneydog59 wrote:
And people wonder why races are so hard to get permits for and end up going away and ........wait....WHAT!?!?! that means I am agreeing with something H2o dave said.....for fuck sakes...I can't I can't!!

:)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

Paul, I was flabbergasted by it all. There was even more to the story.

When I came back through a few minutes later the guy I encountered and another official were waiting to talk with me again. The previous guy I spoke with was younger (30's) and this other guy was older (50's). They asked for my name and race number. I told them there was zero chance of that happening and I also reminded them packet pickup was still a day away so technically I didn't have a race number yet (yes, bib #'s had been posted on the internet site already). Apparently, the younger guy didn't like how dismissive I was of him earlier and was worked up about it. The older guy pulled me aside and told me the rule. I told him I knew the rule but did not think it was in anyway applicable to the current status of the parking lot. He said we would agree to disagree on that. He said the rule was in my best interest and all that and they were only trying to enforce the rules and set the tone for the weekend. I told him I appreciated that but thought they were way overstepping their authority. The older guy seemed nice and understanding and we all moved on with life.

I also need to add that the younger official was not wearing any official shirt or anything. So when he initially said something to me I told him to mind his own business and worry about himself. I thought he was some know-it-all, Type-A triathlete dickwad. He then told me he was an official and it was his business. So he and I got off on the wrong foot immediately.

Sorry, I do not think the officials were the jerks, dickwad. And some wonder why so many triathletes have such a terrible reputation.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Why do illegal audio devices seem to be increasing at races? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, more to the point of audio devices becoming more prevalent; it's a cheap and easy performance enhancer.

Of course, maybe people are just trying to drown out all of those over zealous event staff : )

"PUT YER HELMET ON!"

"WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE!"

"DON'T PASS OUT THERE!"

"STOP THROWING UP BLOOD!"

'TAKE THOSE HEADPHONES OFF!"
Quote Reply
Re: Why do illegal audio devices seem to be increasing at races? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i know i'm going to regret this, and it'll probably end up in his sig, but on this ONE topic, in general, ignoring the argument in favor of eschewing coaches, i think dave is on solid ground in this thread.

I'm right with him with original subject; it's once again his style of debate that's inciteful, passive aggressive, and distracting.
Quote Reply

Prev Next