Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Why are there so many slow people in Kona.
Quote | Reply
Considering that in my age group, (M40) I would need to do a sub 10 to even think about getting close to a roll down slot in any European races...why are there dozens and dozensof Kona finishers (my AG) in the 12hr+ bracket..? Many finishing around 14hrs.

Sure, it’s a bit slower than some races, but not by over 2hrs....!

Initially I assumed that they’re US, but they’re from all around the world.
Quote Reply
Re: Why are there so many slow people in Kona. [UKathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1.) There are other ways to get in besides qualifing.
2.) Perhaps trained for KQ, not as much for Kona race
3.) Injury or blowup caused slower than expected time.
Quote Reply
Re: Why are there so many slow people in Kona. [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Qualified using a wetsuit. No wetsuits at Kona.

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not sure - but it gives me hope of one day making it to Kona.

Im Jk. I want to go to Kona to race but I want to race the beer mile - not the actual race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
- Bad day, not used to the conditions, can easily make hours of difference in finish times. You see the exact same thing at Boston for the marathon...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Prednisone is dangerous. Why take it to finish 30th?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tough to qualify stateside without getting under 10 hours as well.
Likely some with a tough/bad day. Some at a point in life they can afford charity spots. Some who've been entering/doing the lottery for enough years that luck is finally on their side.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many do not do well in the heat and humidity.
Injuries during training.
If you do not have a chance at top ten, why go that hard - attitude.
Off day, how many top pro’s just didn’t live up to potential.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Soooooo many people peak for a qualifying race and put all their effort and motivation into that race, and treat Kona as a semi-vacation, semi race, but are mainly there to experience the race itself, rather than put the same effort and motivation into it. Look at how how many people here and elsewhere talk about KQing vs. kicking ass once they are there.
Quote Reply
Re: Why are there so many slow people in Kona. [LazyEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LazyEP wrote:
Qualified using a wetsuit. No wetsuits at Kona.

Would a swim skin take care of that? I've never actually used one, so this might not be a good suggestion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I KQ'd in M35-39 by placing 2nd at IMTX in 2014. I trained hard all summer and had a good race at Kona minus a drafting penalty, still went under 10 hours, and was 60th. Look at how many are going really fast there, not how many are going slower at the back. I ended up in front of some guys that normally I would not ever come close to. Its just a different race and its really hard to keep that level of focus up for 10 months of the year. There are lots of reasons why some under-perform at Kona. Same story with the pros who have far more on the line having a good race there than AGers do. Its half way around the world for most people with typically very tough conditions that very few do well in. People want to have a vacation with their families to celebrate all the sacrifices they made to qualify. Most have done a lot of races during the year before they even get to Kona and are cooked from either over-training or racing or both. Add tough conditions on top and you can easily see why the times are what they are. Look at the times those folks are doing to qualify, not what they are doing there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Over ambitious pacing mostly I think in heat and humidity in at race they want to exceed or at least match their best performance.

At last years race I've never seen so many obviously fit people barely able to walk, let alone run! It doesn't take a huge misjudgement at some point earlier in the race to make the difference between a 3:15-20 run and a 4:00-4:30
Last edited by: JulianM: Oct 16, 18 12:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

To add to what others have said:
- training way too much race week because everyone else seems to be doing it too
- racing other people around them, rather than pacing properly
- not being used to the excessive amounts of fluid you need to stomach
- getting sick prior to the race

Some people are there just as a victory lap/vacation and just want to take it in and enjoy the day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the few mass starts left, adds to the nerves for those that have never done it. The heat and humidity definitely plays a role, I would think those coming over from places where it is coming off winter is really hard to adapt. I would say overall most age groups are much faster as top 100 in some AG's are 9:30 or faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's economic. KQers paid how much money for the race? Those losers racing fast get a smaller return on their investment. If you're out there for 13, 14...17 hours, you get much more racing per dollar.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dewpoint around 70F hits some people a lot harder than others. Running the equivalent of what should be marathon pace (relative to what I can run for 5K) I perspire 7-8 pounds an hour running in Waikoloa. I realize that makes me an outlier, but still I have to think there are others like this that get totally screwed in Kona simply because they sweat too much in the conditions over here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The main answer i think is that there is no environment that even compares to the conditions you have the Big Island. Very few can perform in that kind of heat,wind and humidity. AND IMO- Kona is so ridiculously competitive that many if not a majority treat it as a celebratory race......

Team Every Man Jack

http://www.teamemj.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of factors.

hurt from over training and cannot run.
Over pacing due to competition.
Over pacing due to conditions.
Over pacing due to getting chicked.
Over pacing due to lack of patients.
Under pacing due to enjoying the day as the reward. ( getting there for some is the only goal, not doing well there)

It is also a hard race vs something like Arizona.

add 10 minutes for the swim without the wetsuit.
Add 20-40 minutes for the bike depending on your wt and ability.
Add 20-30 minutes for the marathon depending on your run ability in hot and hilly terrain.

Add up to 60- 300 minutes once you can only move as fast as a zombie due to the reasons above.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How often do you train and race in those conditions?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Why are there so many slow people in Kona. [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twinkie wrote:
I am not sure - but it gives me hope of one day making it to Kona.

Im Jk. I want to go to Kona to race but I want to race the beer mile - not the actual race.

I did exactly that this year and may do that again next year. My first ever beer mile (I need to train) and it was the most fun I've had at any race. ever.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I witnessed one athlete consume multiple beers the night before the race. but alas he went sub 10...

however multiple mai tai's at Don the Beachcombers the night before could certainly have an effect

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Considering that in my age group, (M40) I would need to do a sub 10 to even think about getting close to a roll down slot in any European races..

Well in your age group, it took sub 10 hours to get 125th place, what race even comes close to those two stats??? I would say all in all it was a pretty fast day for the 40+ AG, your glass half empty theory just doesn't hold water.....
Quote Reply
Re: Why are there so many slow people in Kona. [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is very difficult to get Kona “right.”
And the consequences of minor mistakes seem to amplify in Kona.

At other races, mistakes are often less costly.

There is also often a greater incentive to finish Kona (even when your “race” is effectively over).

Example:
Last year- my pacing and nutrition were a little off.
AND then I went a little too hard, in the heat, up the hill near Kawaihae.
These minor mistakes brought me to the edge of heat exposure.
A decent finish was no longer possible.
My choice was a 15hrs death march or a DNF.
I took the DNF.
(No one was there watching me. And I have done less than terrible at Kona on other occasions.)
If it were my first and/or only time at Kona- I would have walked in the 15 hr finish.
Quote Reply
Re: Why are there so many slow people in Kona. [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there a pay to play option?

In the car world, the 24hr of le mans is a big deal every year. All the drivers are good... but some are true pros, and others are more “gentleman drivers”. Money buys fast cars, but you can quickly pick out the pros.

I assume Kona is similar. The 85year old (bless his heart... impressive) was not there due to qualifying times.

I will go on a limb and suggest the ways to get in are at least 1 of the three: Merit, money, marketing.
Quote Reply
Re: Why are there so many slow people in Kona. [Rocket_racing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I had even been a lottery winner in the 20 years I tried I would have been a very slow one! Should I ever get to race Kona due to any entry method I am sure I will take my sweet time and enjoy the hell out of the day. It's my # 1 bucket list item.
Keeping my Kona hopes alive for the last 25 years..
John
Quote Reply

Prev Next