Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why are there so many slow people in Kona. [UKathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've completed one IM. I knew it was going to be one-and-done. Lots of family sacrifice to get me to the starting line. There was no chance I was going to DNF by pushing too hard.

Finished in 13:45 and easily left 2:15 on the course.

If I was in Kona and I knew it was one-and-done, I'd certainly pump the brakes to guarantee the finish and enjoy the day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because all the truly fast people would rather stay home and gripe on Slowtwitch...
Quote Reply
Re: Why are there so many slow people in Kona. [Jigsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jigsy wrote:
Darren325 wrote:
dmounts wrote:
The main answer i think is that there is no environment that even compares to the conditions you have the Big Island. Very few can perform in that kind of heat,wind and humidity. AND IMO- Kona is so ridiculously competitive that many if not a majority treat it as a celebratory race......

Oh...I can find one for your. Ironman Taiwan. In 2016 when I qualified for kona 2017, 39 degrees C on the run course, no shade, and humidity off the charts. Made Kona 2017 feel like a cool weather race for me.

Fast forward to IM Taiwan 2018 version, (KQ for 2019) we did not have the heat. But we had winds with gusts up to 70km/h pounding the bike course! Worse than anything I felt in Kona in 2015 and 2017 which weren't years that were especially windy, but 2015 was considered hot!

back door and front door brags. But if any slowtwitchers want to know what a hot humid and windy race feels like and can't make it to Kona, IM Taiwan can give you a little extra if the last three years of the event are anything to go by!

If you are not used to these kinds of conditions, you will start off thinking, meh, it's not as bad as I thought. Then...all of a sudden...it will be lights out. I think that is a huge reason why so many Kona finishers are "slow." You should see how fast they bike north on the Queen K! :)

That's why I do IM Korea instead - that heat would do me in over IM distance. Mind you, all my 70.3s have been hot as hell - Cebu, Phuket, Vietnam!

On another note, I was watching the finish line around the 15 hour plus mark, and asked the same question many times - how did they get there? I looked a few up and majority were Legacy - kudos to them!

How/where did you look this info up???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Why are there so many slow people in Kona. [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just qualified in 2016 as a total surprise in Coeur d'alene coming in 12th overall. As it wasn't expected and the goal had been qualifying my form just went downhill after that (the season was long, I started with Texas in May that year). That led to an overall time of 10:30 in Kona, roughly an hour slower than in CdA and for the (at the time) M35-39 that's certainly not a time that is anywhere close in terms of qualifying you.
Funilly I was among the best of the guys who qualified in CdA as well (I saw them on the bike/run). All of them kinda took it "easy" in the sense that finishing was weighed higher as a goal vs. going 30mins faster and then maybe blowing up on the run.
With hindsight I kind of understand why the slow times.

Roberto
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 2018 Legacy list is here ... http://www.ironman.com/...s.aspx#axzz5UCngBmQM

Indirectly, you could look up an individual athlete on obstri.com; see if they've done at least 12 IMs prior to Kona, note their placements, and infer with high probability whether they got their by KQ or LQ.
Quote Reply
Re: Why are there so many slow people in Kona. [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:

Indirectly, you could look up an individual athlete on obstri.com; see if they've done at least 12 IMs prior to Kona, note their placements, and infer with high probability whether they got their by KQ or LQ.

Ah I see now, thanks for this info.

Quote Reply
Re: Why are there so many slow people in Kona. [tctritexan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tctritexan wrote:

I'd argue that being from Texas, we train in Kona like conditions pretty much all summer long with most of my training days being 85 degrees at 4 AM and 105 by noon when you are doing a brick off a 5 or 6 hour bike ride, all with about 90-98% humidity on most days. Just b/c I train in this doesn't mean I can race well in the heat.

For reference, the highest dewpoint recorded in Dallas this past July and August was 76F. A temperature of 85F with 90% RH would equal a dewpoint of 82F.

A temperature of 105F with RH of 90% would equal a dewpoint of 102F, which is substantially greater than the highest dewpoint ever recorded, which was 95F in Saudia Arabia in 2003.

Kona does have almost identical dewpoints to Dallas over the summer, so I feel your pain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

Yep, I did just that. Kind of stalkerish, but there you go.

My race site: https://racesandplaces.wixsite.com/racesandplaces
Quote Reply
Re: Why are there so many slow people in Kona. [Jigsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jigsy wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

Interesting, I just never knew that the "legacy list" was ever published, but then I am not that obsessed with going to Kona. If I were, then I think I'd just donate $5000 and get a charity slot. Hell, $5K is less than the cost of most "super bikes" plus you get a tax deduction. :)

Quote Reply
Re: Why are there so many slow people in Kona. [LazyEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LazyEP wrote:
Qualified using a wetsuit. No wetsuits at Kona.

LOL.....that doesn't explain a 2 hour difference
Quote Reply
Re: Why are there so many slow people in Kona. [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
It's economic. KQers paid how much money for the race? Those losers racing fast get a smaller return on their investment. If you're out there for 13, 14...17 hours, you get much more racing per dollar.

This answer wins!!! LOL
Quote Reply
Re: Why are there so many slow people in Kona. [Sojourner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sojourner wrote:

For reference, the highest dewpoint recorded in Dallas this past July and August was 76F. A temperature of 85F with 90% RH would equal a dewpoint of 82F.

A temperature of 105F with RH of 90% would equal a dewpoint of 102F, which is substantially greater than the highest dewpoint ever recorded, which was 95F in Saudia Arabia in 2003.

Kona does have almost identical dewpoints to Dallas over the summer, so I feel your pain.

Thanks for the post. RH exaggerations are one of my pet peeves. Maybe it happens when people turn on their radio in the morning and hear 75 degrees and 98% humidity and they assume that RH stays constant all day. Actually its dewpoint that stays more or less constant. So what the meteorologist could have told them is that with that combination of 75/98%, the dewpoint was over 74 degrees. Later that day, if the dew point remains constant, but the temperature is up to 95 degrees, the RH would only be about 52%.

I wish we could get the TV/radio meteorologist to focus on dewpoint instead of RH. In my example above, even though the RH is only 52%, it would feel very humid -- because a dewpoint of over 74 is very humid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:

Although obstri looks like a great tool I just decided to search one of the pros I follow and can tell you for a fact that it has them having raced one Ironman when they were nowhere near that part of the world.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Jigsy wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

Interesting, I just never knew that the "legacy list" was ever published, but then I am not that obsessed with going to Kona. If I were, then I think I'd just donate $5000 and get a charity slot. Hell, $5K is less than the cost of most "super bikes" plus you get a tax deduction. :)

You can't just donate $5000 and get a Kona slot.
Quote Reply
Re: Why are there so many slow people in Kona. [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did it provide times for that pro at the race they did not do, and was it possibly another person with the same name? I've found the website to be highly accurate but you have to look only for the right person. E.g., if there are 3 David Smiths, obstri will give you the performances of all 3 at all of their races. The only way to distinguish would be by country and AG. E.g., David Smith from the UK would have the UK flag next to their name while David Smith from the US would have the American flag. And two people with the same name and the same country can only be distinguished by their AG if they are different. But yeah, I can't say it's perfect, just that I have not come across any errors myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well...there's only one of these that I know of racing Ironman as a pro. But yeah they had a time. Which is impossible.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are quite a few charity / lottery / celebrity invite slots...I think those are the majority of the folks finishing with glowsticks.

I tried for a KQ for a few years, and my attitude was always that if I did make it, I would treat it as a vacation with a race in the middle... wifey wouldn't have it much other way!. My closest approach was about 20 minutes out ( and over 20 places.. not very close) and I had no illusions about actually competing the with cream of my particular AG. That said, I do have some pride and wouldn't have shown up to race in a hawiian shirt. I would guess 1-2 hours depending an Madam Pele's mood.

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Re: Why are there so many slow people in Kona. [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Jigsy wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

You can't just donate $5000 and get a Kona slot.

OK, I stand corrected. Looked it up on Ironman.com and it appears that you have to bid on 5 slots auctioned off 1/week with min bid of $25,000, which is a bit steeper than $5000.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in Kona with my wife in 2017 and 2019 and she also wondered why so many people are slow, as she thought the best of the best are there and the general level must be insane.
There have been a lot of reasons mentioned in this thread already to which I can agree.

I would like to point out one thing: shape of the day.

I did following Ims:
2007 IM Switserland good shape
2010 IM Austria good shape
2012 IM Sweden havy cold in the week before
2014 IM Austria good shape
2014 IM Sweden migraine the day before
2016 IM Austria recovering from a break of collarbone in spring
2016 IM Weymouth good shape KQ
2017 IM Hawaii jetlag
2019 IM Lanzarote good shape KQ
2019 IM Austria good shape virtual KQ
2019 IM Hawaii avoided the jetlag in arriving 3 weeks before but: bad day: probably a virus

You can see about half of the IMs I had a bad day. If that is averagely generally the case for everyone, you have already an important reason here why so many people are slow in Hawaii. And then of course all the other reasons mentioned.
A bad day can not always be avoided, also the pros have problems. Look at Frodeno in 2017 and look at Lange and Ryf in 2019.
Quote Reply
Re: Why are there so many slow people in Kona. [TriDevilDog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriDevilDog wrote:
There are quite a few charity / lottery / celebrity invite slots...I think those are the majority of the folks finishing with glowsticks.

I hate to say, but I've randonly met 2 people in my time in triathlon who went to Kona by "being in the business" of triathlon" meaning, they work at a company that supports or sponsors Kona and got a "sponsorship entry." One of them I met on a hike...guy had on a Kona finisher shirt...so I ask him how his race went, he said TERRIBLE (he hadn't done enough prep for the swim and barely made the cutoff), but he finished. So then I ask what race he qualified at, and I get a blank stare. Then he says he didn't qualify...since his company gets a couple free entries to the race just for doing business with WTC. He goes on to say he never had done ANY ironman before that. So there are THOSE people.....I doubt that guy had any idea what he was getting into.
Quote Reply
Re: Why are there so many slow people in Kona. [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
It's economic. KQers paid how much money for the race? Those losers racing fast get a smaller return on their investment. If you're out there for 13, 14...17 hours, you get much more racing per dollar.

hahaha

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Why are there so many slow people in Kona. [tmcg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would be great if we had charity spots and lottery spots at the Olympics. Running side by side to Usain bolt and getting smoked must be awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: Why are there so many slow people in Kona. [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
Approximately 15% of the competitors in M40-44 and 25% of the people in the entire race finished in over 12 hours.

So, the answer is that there aren't that many slow people in Kona.

Good post in a good thread. There are a lot of good answers to the OP, and I think that if you asked everyone in that age group who finished in 12h+, they would find the explanation for their performance somewhere in this thread.

Based on this response (15% in M40-44 over 12 hours), I'd say that I'm surprised it is that low!

If you (after removing all the legacy and charity participants) take a fairly large population of guys who can go 10 hours and faster on a course of their choosing on what almost certainly was a very good race, and then have them compete again in a remote location on a hard course in historically difficult weather, add in random injuries, pacing issues, choices to "just finish and get the medal," and "have a family trip" and "went too hard and blew up" and everything else, I'm a little surprised that the distribution doesn't skew even harder to the slow slide.
Quote Reply
Re: Why are there so many slow people in Kona. [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Killing time...

I looked at the last five years of Kona, M40-44, results including the starters and those who did not finish. The groups are, from the starters, what percent broke 10 hours, finished between 10 and 12 hours, and over 12 hours, presented in percent.

Year/starters/under10 hours/10-12 hours/12+ hours
2019 292 28.8/51.7/19.5
2018 285 44.6/38.9/16.5
2017 264 22.7/58.5/19.3
2016 254 24.8/59.8/15.4
2015 291 18.9/56.0/25.1

Total 1386 28.06/53.0/10.04

I did not remove legacy or charity athletes. Given that, I am quite surprised how few athletes take more than 12 hours and (with 2018 being an outlier) I think it seems reasonable that about a quarter of qualifiers break 10 hours.

Based on this, I would say that given all the reasons to explain poor performances suggested in this thread to explain the slow end of the distribution, most athletes do fairly well or quite well, really.
Quote Reply
Re: Why are there so many slow people in Kona. [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want to win the Kona beer mile. my aspirations.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply

Prev Next