Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Which Inexpensive (Not Cheap πŸ™‚) Disc? [treyxt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Renn Multisport (Frank Renhelt). Their website has been down for a while, but they still sell their 555 disc wheel (~ $800)
Quote Reply
Re: Which Inexpensive (Not Cheap πŸ™‚) Disc? [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Renn is another good one. His site's been "coming soon" for years. Wonder what the new wheel is that is mentioned on the website. I asked him via email but never got a response.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Inexpensive (Not Cheap πŸ™‚) Disc? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
benleg wrote:
Is it me or there is very little incentive to pay extra to get a disc from a premium brand (weight, quality of hub and width are basically the only feature that matter)... or i'm missing something?

Depends on what incentivizes you. If it's purely cost, China is your best friend. If you are incentivized by things like shopping local, environmental/ labor practices, or minimizing how much of your money goes to certain types of government, then HED, Ron, and Citec might start to look like a good value for a few hundred more.

Ya, pretty sure that the ESG value of any 'Assembled in a western country' label is very pretty negligible.

Question here is if paying an extra $1-2000 for a brand give you anything other than a nice logo (watts, ride quality, stability, etc)...

For normal wheels, someone could make an argument about R&D, hand laced, free range, and GMO free... But Disc all look the same to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Inexpensive (Not Cheap πŸ™‚) Disc? [benleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Functionally they'll be pretty much indistinguishable.

I wouldn't say the ESG value is negligible for some of these. At least not to me. HED and I think Citec produce their own alu rims, lay Japanese carbon themselves around Taiwanese/Swiss hubs, etc. Of the $1200 that you pay, likely more than $1000 of it stays in their countries (US and Germany). The rest goes to places I don't mind. No reason to let perfect be the enemy of good.

The street price premium for these wheels and Ron vs the reputable Chinese stuff is closer to $200, not $1000-2000. I wouldn't know how to justify $2000-3000 wheels when there are really great options for $1000-1500.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Inexpensive (Not Cheap πŸ™‚) Disc? [_Nickel_] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
_Nickel_ wrote:
The Aeron X is not structural carbon, it's a steel spoked carbon rim with a carbon cover. Mine is also quite a bit heavier than advertised (as in 150+g heavier). It's a disc brake model, have not ridden it yet due to injury.

WHAT!?

On the website they state: β€œ Full Carbon, tubeless disc wheel with ceramic bearings.”

I feel they are misleading us then?

I own the AeronX but wouldn’t know what’s inside. I had assumed it was just carbon

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Re: Which Inexpensive (Not Cheap πŸ™‚) Disc? [thetrickster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thetrickster wrote:
_Nickel_ wrote:
The Aeron X is not structural carbon, it's a steel spoked carbon rim with a carbon cover. Mine is also quite a bit heavier than advertised (as in 150+g heavier). It's a disc brake model, have not ridden it yet due to injury.

WHAT!?

On the website they state: β€œ Full Carbon, tubeless disc wheel with ceramic bearings.”

I feel they are misleading us then?

I own the AeronX but wouldn’t know what’s inside. I had assumed it was just carbon

I messaged them on facebook and they confirmed it is indeed a spoked wheel with a carbon faring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The question is…. Does it whoomp whoomp?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
treyxt wrote:
I messaged them on facebook and they confirmed it is indeed a spoked wheel with a carbon faring.

Same here - got the same answer:
Quote:

Hello, full carbon means that wheel based on carbon rim instead of aluminium like RON5. Yes, there are centering spokes inside

I'm not sure what to think, if I should be disappointed or not - I had assumed they were a bit more than a spoked wheel with covers...

Regards, Richard
Last edited by: thetrickster: Nov 30, 22 0:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would not bother about the spokes under the cover: Vision Tech sells a covered spoked wheel at a much higher price
METRON DISC WHEEL | VISION (visiontechusa.com)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thetrickster wrote:
I'm not sure what to think, if I should be disappointed or not - I had assumed they were a bit more than a spoked wheel with covers...

I really don't understand folks with this ideation in their heads. These are nowhere close to the same thing as taping a disc cover to an existing wheel.

Buy only based on your budget, and whatever real data you can find about your options. Otherwise, it's irrelevant and something that I feel like people treat as more of an elitist thing than a factual science and data driven thing. Which is dumb. "Ohhh, that's just a disc cover." It just reeks of ignorance. Almost as much as telling folks they're too slow to worry about buying a certain thing they want.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Inexpensive (Not Cheap πŸ™‚) Disc? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Buy only based on your budget, and whatever real data you can find about your options.

That's what I did ( I researched a lot...) when I was looking previously before buying the disc, when it says 'full carbon' in the description I had (incorrectly it seems) assumed the disk was a completely carbon disk wheel - why won't I ?

I had never thought previously a carbon disc wheel would have steel spokes inside. Not that it matters much I suppose, as it was the Aeron or the Vision disc above when I was looking at. So they both are of the same type - I never knew we had different types of 'full carbon' disc wheels

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I train on the Aeron X and have a Roval 321 that I will throw on for a race effort, though whether the Roval is actually faster in any meaningful way... who knows. With that, go ahead and press the side of your Aeron X and you will feel a good amount of "give" - that's the carbon cover. Do the same with a Roval or other solid disc and you won't be able to push in/flex the carbon.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: Which Inexpensive (Not Cheap πŸ™‚) Disc? [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
With that, go ahead and press the side of your Aeron X and you will feel a good amount of "give" - that's the carbon cover. Do the same with a Roval or other solid disc and you won't be able to push in/flex the carbon.

Just so folks understand your post.....as some will mis-interpret that as "give = cheap" or "give = bad"..........

that's because for a spoked wheel based disc, the skin doesn't have to be structural. The spokes are. For a full carbon disc, the skin is what keeps your ass from skidding onto the pavement. So yeah, since it is structural, it has to be stiff.

Just so folks understand, that's all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Found this, back when I was looking at buying:

AlexB78 wrote:
Aeron X is not spokes covered wheel. It is structural carbon wheel. And they do have data and comparison to couple other brands including Zipp https://ronwheels.com/content/11-aerodynamic

Seems like I wasn't the only one misinformed!

Returning to the original question from treyxt - it would be interesting to know which of these 'inexpensive' discs are actually 'full structural carbon' or 'full fairing carbon' - as this does make the choice more interesting I would think.

To give Vision credit on their descriptions, on their Metron and TFW wheels, they are more honest they Ron. With "Full UD carbon fairings construction" for the Metron and "Full carbon construction" for the TFW.

Now the next question is - is there any tangible difference in the two types?
Last edited by: thetrickster: Dec 1, 22 1:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Premier is structural disc

I am looking forward to the Womp womp sound

😎
Quote Reply
Re: Which Inexpensive (Not Cheap πŸ™‚) Disc? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can anyone weigh in on the Hunt Disc wheel construction. I found on the website β€œ The disc wheel is made of 2 external side plates and internal I-beam reinforcements”, I would guess no whoop whoop sound?
Quote Reply
Re: Which Inexpensive (Not Cheap πŸ™‚) Disc? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
Premier is structural disc

I am looking forward to the Womp womp sound

😎

As am I!
Quote Reply
Re: Which Inexpensive (Not Cheap πŸ™‚) Disc? [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
I don't see how it looks worse, just smart.

I mean, given…
- It’s pretty easy to figure out who you are
- And apparently you sell over $1.2 million in bike parts a year on eBay
- and under the False Claims Act a whistleblower may be eligible for rewards when reporting customs fraud

If it doesn’t make you look worse; at the very least it makes you like kinda dumb to admit this stuff on a public forum where anyone with an internet connection can read it

What I'd miss about what jimatbeyond has been doing? I only remember all his intentionally obtuse responses to posts.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Inexpensive (Not Cheap πŸ™‚) Disc? [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just ordered the Elite wheels disc. Sounds like a couple months to get here. Will report back how it works out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does it whoomp whoomp noise ? I was going to buy an aeron x, also thinking it was structural carbon.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Inexpensive (Not Cheap πŸ™‚) Disc? [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
Does it whoomp whoomp noise ? I was going to buy an aeron x, also thinking it was structural carbon.

No raced / run it yet. So no idea! I too would love to know! I might even setup up the bike at the weekend just to check LOL.

Been learning lots about discs last couple of days, about types etc.

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Re: Which Inexpensive (Not Cheap πŸ™‚) Disc? [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aravilare wrote:
Chemist wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
I don't see how it looks worse, just smart.

I mean, given…
- It’s pretty easy to figure out who you are
- And apparently you sell over $1.2 million in bike parts a year on eBay
- and under the False Claims Act a whistleblower may be eligible for rewards when reporting customs fraud

If it doesn’t make you look worse; at the very least it makes you like kinda dumb to admit this stuff on a public forum where anyone with an internet connection can read it

What I'd miss about what jimatbeyond has been doing? I only remember all his intentionally obtuse responses to posts.

He proudly commits tax fraud, claims it's a bigly smart move, and encourages others to do it.

jimatbeyond wrote:
Tell the non-US sellers to declare the value under $800 so that no duty is owed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a ron rear disc from years back. It was good. clincher tire, sold it.

I just purchased the aeron x rim so I can run tubeless in it. I choose it over the other brands because I knew what I was getting vs other brands (not sure of them).

Overall, we could test all of these disc wheels with the same front wheel and the different would be unmeasurable.

So I went with lowest risk gamble (confidence of what I get).

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:

Took mine out for a very quick spin tonight. No whoomp

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Re: Which Inexpensive (Not Cheap πŸ™‚) Disc? [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:

I just purchased the aeron x rim so I can run tubeless in it. I choose it over the other brands because I knew what I was getting vs other brands (not sure of them).

So I went with lowest risk gamble (confidence of what I get).

Just out of interest, you wouldn't have been confident of wheels from HED??
Quote Reply

Prev Next