Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Where are my lovely fishies? December Challenge!
Quote | Reply
We've got one month of practices down - hoping you'll all stay with the Fishtwitch Clique for the second month, and if you're new that's cool too.

AN IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT SHOULDERS:
baby them.
Seriously - there were like three of us whining yesterday of minor shoulder injuries. Not cool, that's practically one relay team out ;-) so, if you're going to swim, take care of them. Icing shoulders after workouts never hurts. Swim different strokes so you're not using the same muscles over and over again. Wear backpacks on both shoulders, not slung over one. Stretch gently. Do rotator cuff strengthening exercises. I'll post my shoulder baby-weights program in case that would help anyone else whose shoulders are protracted from freestyle. Stay healthy!

And if you're in a cold climate don't forget your hat so your hair doesn't freeze on the way from the pool to car (class work etc).

If you're new to it, here's how it works:

-Set a goal number of swims OR yards (meters) for the month OR an event and goal time OR any combination of the above.

-Show up to [virtual] practice (which means, chime in on the thread every once and awhile and tell us how you're doing. Check out this thread (http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...reply;so=ASC;mh=25;) if you want to see how it works). I post all of my workouts - not mandatory - but it's nice to see what everyone's doing for training, get ideas for sets, etc.

-Log your distance total for the day on our Google spreadsheet.
Link: (sorry am going to have to fix this again - you can access it from the November one - give me a minute)
http://spreadsheets.google.com/...ygvppkKCPw&hl=en

IF YOU NEED SPREADSHEET ACCESS, SEND ME A PM WITH YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS and I'll google-invite you so you can open and edit the spreadsheet.

Have at it!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Dec 1, 08 11:09
Quote Reply
December 1 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5,000 scy:

1200 w/u
10 x 100 on 1:45 as 50k/50s

3 x 50 on :50
3 x 100 on 1:30
3 x 150 on 2:10
3 x 200 on 2:50
3 x 150 on 2:05
3 x 100 on 1:20
3 x 50 on :45

400 c/d

I love that set. It's ZOOM coming down.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
technical details [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, can one of you click on that spreadsheet link and tell me if it works or not? Is working for me, but I copied it from my open spreadsheet.

merci

Quote Reply
As a reference - shoulder protection program [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is my shoulder protection program to strengthen posterior (back of the shoulder) girdle muscles. You may or may not have an imbalance here. In my case - I do - if you looked at me from the side, and looked carefully, you'd notice a swimmer's posture - my shoulders are protracted (tilted forward a bit) from all the freestyle. Not sure if this is the case for you or not, or if it's just a technical issue in your stroke, or if you upped your volume too quickly. But here it is in case you want, can't hurt:

-prone rows, 20 on each side with 8 lbs. Then, the same thing but with upper arm pretty much perpendicular to body (so your elbow is out). Hits rhomboids but from a different angle.

-extensions, laying prone again, arm goes from perpendicular to the floor to hip level. I think I do 20 with 5 lbs on each side.

-external rotation with a baby 2 lb weight. Lay on side, stick a folded towel under arm, elbow is "pinned," rotate GH joint so as to get weight up. I'm told I should be able to get that elbow to 90* - I can't - lacking some ROM there. Maybe because of the protraction?

-serratus anterior "punches," lay with your spine on a foam roller, and hold a 12 lb "body bar" up as if you were going to bench press- but rather than bench press, push it up engaging serratus ant. muscle. Slight movement. I do 20 of these straight up, 20 at an angle a bit forward from that, and then 20 at an angle back from it.

-wobble board on a wall - small wobble board - totally hits rotator cuffs by trying to get the edges of the board to touch the wall as you roll it around. These make my shoulders burrrrrrrn

Quote Reply
Re: As a reference - shoulder protection program [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HA- the note on the Shoulders is perfect, alot of us fell apart last week. Also I'm cutting back my yardage goal, I have no real need to be swimming over 20k a week, and I find that 3500 yards a practice is all I need. Well back to icing. Thanks for posting the shoulder rejuvenation program, I'll def use it.
Quote Reply
Re: Where are my lovely fishies? December Challenge! [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd like to join! I've never done the spreadsheet thing though, sounds pretty advanced. Hmm i'm going to aim around a goal of 100,000 yards.

TJ
Quote Reply
Re: Where are my lovely fishies? December Challenge! [joonya] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'd like to join! I've never done the spreadsheet thing though, sounds pretty advanced. Hmm i'm going to aim around a goal of 100,000 yards.

TJ
Don't sweat it the spreadsheet is easy once you see it. Good luck.

After doing more swimming then ever this past year and having a little shoulder issues, bi lateral tendinitis? I'm taking some time off this month and look forward to the January swim challenge.
Quote Reply
Re: Where are my lovely fishies? December Challenge! [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in for my 2nd month. I was late to the party last month so only tracked my workouts.

The spreadsheet worked for me this morning.

Today's workout

W/U 400 IM drills

MS
10 x 200 fins (100 free, 50 fly, 50 free) 1 min rest

8 x (25 ( 12.5m hard/12.5m ez) 25m sprint on 35")

C/D 200
Quote Reply
Re: Where are my lovely fishies? December Challenge! [RottieGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"bi lateral tendonitis"

bicipital tendonitis maybe? If you are feeling it on the head of the humerus in the bicipital groove (hold your arm at your side, elbow bent at 90*, rotate in and out like it's a door) and place your other hand's fingers on the middle of the head of the humerus - you will feel a groove - that's the bicipital groove. There's a tendon that runs up through there and is fairly easy to inflame with overuse. (did that one fall 2007 :P)

Get healthy and I'll see you in January.

Quote Reply
Re: As a reference - shoulder protection program [KeepOnGrinding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shoulder baby weights - be careful with the weights and when in doubt use lighter ones. Is SO easy to hurt something trying to use too much. I call them "baby weights" for a reason... yes the other guys in the gym will laugh at you, deal with it.

Quote Reply
Re: Where are my lovely fishies? December Challenge! [TOTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
400 IM drills for warmup, huh? Butterfly's one way to start a day :-) nice main set.

Quote Reply
Re: As a reference - shoulder protection program [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Shoulder baby weights - be careful with the weights and when in doubt use lighter ones. Is SO easy to hurt something trying to use too much. I call them "baby weights" for a reason... yes the other guys in the gym will laugh at you, deal with it.
I need some virtual ass kicking. I signed up last month and didn't do much, and what I did do I didn't log.

I suck. :(

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was supposed to be 600 but most were going slow so the coach cut it short!
Quote Reply
Re: As a reference - shoulder protection program [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
still on the couch ;-)

GO SWIM!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am back in. I missed my goal LM by about 2200 yards since I did family stuff on Wed and the pool was closed on Friday and I could not get to the pool yesterday. The family took precident on Wed and Sun.

Anyway, I made alot of progress over the last month and want to continue.

I am in for 30,000 yards. That will be the biggest month I have ever done by more 5000 yards and should help with laying down a good base for next season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"bi lateral tendonitis"

bicipital tendonitis maybe? If you are feeling it on the head of the humerus in the bicipital groove (hold your arm at your side, elbow bent at 90*, rotate in and out like it's a door) and place your other hand's fingers on the middle of the head of the humerus - you will feel a groove - that's the bicipital groove. There's a tendon that runs up through there and is fairly easy to inflame with overuse. (did that one fall 2007 :P)

Get healthy and I'll see you in January.
I think we have a winner. After reading about bicipital tendonitis it certainly sounds like the possible culprit. Did you take time off from swimming in 2007 or any other great tips for recovery?

TIA
Quote Reply
Re: Where are my lovely fishies? December Challenge! [RottieGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I took 7 days off, got in and swam 1000 yds on the 8th day, took another 2 off then eased back into it without too much trouble.

The "great tips for recovery" are ice, NSAIDS, and get yourself some baby weights (see above). Also fix any stroke technique errors. Oh and don't up your volume too much too quickly. LOL. Seriously, ice. Good stuff.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in for 50,000m this month. I have to start running and biking a bit more and have to go home to Michigan for Christmas so hopefully I will make it to my goal!

I have a swim meet this weekend at Rutgers! 1500m free, 200m IM, 200m back. I think I will be quite tired after all that.
Quote Reply
Re: As a reference - shoulder protection program [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
I need some virtual ass kicking. I signed up last month and didn't do much, and what I did do I didn't log.

I suck. :(

John

WHAT! And you had the audacity to kick me in the ass last month!!!! How dare you! ;)

Back to the point, I actually did get in today. AND you were wrong, the water totally felt like ass!

3400 SCM
w/u
200 swim
200 kick
400 drill
200 swim

6x50 on :45

200 easy

1x1000

100 easy

4x100 kick (alternating flutter/dolphin)

400 c/d

"Wow, are you a triathlete?"
If spoken by a non-swimmer, that's a compliment. When spoken by a swimmer.... -glitch
My wife's blog http://www.hostilewit.com
Quote Reply
Re: Where are my lovely fishies? December Challenge! [joonya] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
December 1:

Warm up (1200m/1300~yds)
2 x (300sw, 200pl, 100ki)

Main: (2400yds)
3x [800]
--1st: 800 straight build by 200 on 10:00
--2nd:8x100 on 1:30 holding current 1000 pace (around 1:10s)
--3rd: 16x50 (3 long then every 4th sprint) on :45

100ez
Pull:(700)
7 down to 1 lengths pull

100cd

Total: 4,600 yds
Quote Reply
December 2 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ran 9.5 mi and was hypoglycemic by the time I got in the pool. Little bit of shoulder pain :-(

2200 scy:

600 w/u
12 x 50 easy/build on :50
4 x [4 x 25 + 50 kick] build, 1/2 sprint, 2 sets of easy/fast
2 x 200 c/d

Quote Reply
Re: December 2 [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can I jump in for December? I swam 2400m yesterday. Would like to shoot for 40,000 for the month (about 10,000 more than I actually currently have planned so it will motivate me to get to the pool a little more often! Oh and the shoulder stuff is awesome. Baby weights are cool. The guys already laugh at me at the gym. I'm okay with that. At least I am there. : )
gb
Quote Reply
Re: December 2 [GettingBetter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Can I jump in for December?

I'd rather you dive ;-)

Send me a PM with your email so I can get you a spreadsheet 'lane.'

Quote Reply
Re: December 2 [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sent you a PM to get set up. My goal is 75,000 yards. Thanks!

Michael
(formerly santa claus)
Quote Reply
Re: December 2 [MPK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
didn;t get a PM from you?

Quote Reply

Prev Next