Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Where are my lovely fishies? December Challenge! [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in for 50,000scy. Might be hard to get b/c of Winter Break at my school, but I plan on traveling to places where there will be open lanes.

Quote | Reply
awww, the swim team won't take you on their training trip?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Where are my lovely fishies? December Challenge! [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope. Big, hairy professors in speedos are generally not invited along.

Instead, I'll be swimming at Bowling Green and possibly Miami Univ. I've got the a.o.k. from the missus to spend a day and travel up to see Tom D.'s shop. Hmmm, how can I save enough money for a new front wheel....

Quote | Reply
I am in for 40,000 SCY.

First time for me in the Swim Challenge, should be fun!
Quote Reply
Re: Where are my lovely fishies? December Challenge! [joonya] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dec 2:

Warm Up (1600)
400 sw
8x50 kick on 1:00
400 pl
8x50 choice on :50

Main (1200)
4x300
--1+3 on 4:00 build by 100
--2+4 on 4:15 broken each 100 by 5 sec descend
100ez

Main 2
16x75 (1200)
--1st 8 pull on 1:00
--2nd 8 on 1:15; odds sw long, evens broken at 50, sprint 25

100cd
Total: 4200 yds
dec total: 8,800yds
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm new to swimming so this will be great for me to track my progress. PM on it's way.
-mb
Quote Reply
Re: December 1 [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in :) 1,500 yards today. Still babying the right shoulder though it felt fine. I'll go back to regular yardage on Thurs.

Thanks again TC for keeping it rolling!
Quote Reply
Re: December 1 [Roughster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1400 yards today.

300 wu
(4x50 free, 2x50 br) x 2
3x50 free 2x50 br
250 wd

Short and sweet. I am a wallowing whale, but it'll get better. At least I got in the water again.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
December 1-2 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Catching back up on logging those workouts.

December 1 (4500 yards, 80 min)
This was a tough, tough day. I did a weightlifting benchmark the day before so both arms and legs were extra heavy. Normally, I'd love a set like this, but today was a real grind.

Warmup (900 yards)
300 free
200 kick with fins
200 drills
200 pull

Main Set
400 pull (15 sec) 200 IM (45 sec)
400 free (15 sec) 200 free (45 sec)
400 pull

Cooldown (200 yards)
200 EZ

Lesser Sports
30 min run (4.07 mi)

December 2 (3200 yards, 55 min)
Bad Blackfish. Slept in today and missed masters. To squeeze in swimming, weights, and not be too obnoxiously late for work, I had to drop my plan to do 5x200 free after the second kick set. Great time of year to devote some extra time to kicking. Its a weak area for me and while its not that critical to triathlon, it needs improvement. Without a swim meet until Feb and a tri until Mar, now is a perfect time to give it some work.

Warmup (1000 yards)
200 free
200 kick with fins
200 pull
200 drills (rotation, one-arm, fist, fingertip drag)
200 swim

Main Set (2000 yards)
5x100 kick with fins on 1:45
5x200 FRIM (free-back-breast-free) on 2:55
5x100 kick with fins on 1:45

Cooldown (200 yards)
200 free

Lesser Sports
50 min weightlifting (arms)
Quote Reply
Re: December 1 [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good for you :-)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not off to a good start this month. Monday, terrible head/chest cold. Tuesday, struggled through a 4 mile tempo run. Today, got in the water and my lungs and throat felt like I smoked 30 packs of cigarettes last night. Ugh.

Dec. 3 - 4,000 scy

Warmup:
1000 free

Set:
5x100 IM on 2:00
4x250 kick (evens with fins)
15x100 pull (cruise on 1:40)

Quote | Reply
You'll feel better when you get over the cold.

I slept in (sorta, til 6 am) and ran an easy 8 mi. Then acted Oliver Twist at the Commons, the women there seem to think one pancake counts as breakfast. I think not...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hahaha- when I'm in for pancakes I'm looking atleast 3. The inflammation is gone, no pain. Swimming an easy 1000 today. Word
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Struggling with motivation to get to the pool. I finally got myself out of bed in time to get 1000 yards in but I was still late to work.

I really felt like a log for the 1st 300 yrds. Then I did some drills and felt a little better afterward but still felt out of breadth, tired and slow.

Anyway, did the 1000 yards and packed it up. May try to do another 1000 tonight.
Quote Reply
Re: December 1 [KeepOnGrinding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can honestly say that I've NEVER had a pancake before. And yet, I'm a Clydesdale. Go figure.

After reading through most of this thread, it looks more like a script for an episode of House than a swim challenge...I think we can include TC's critique thread too.

Quote | Reply
NEVER?

I prefer french toast to pancakes, but I wasn't about to pass up oatmeal banana pancakes this morning...

no swim for me today I don't think but 90 min on the trainer.

I've never seen House.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1200! sweeet
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never had french toast either, and I have no idea what maple syrup tastes like.

House is a medical show where a quirky doctor has to solve all these mysterious ailments.

Speaking of ailments, do you or anyone else reading this have a cause/cure for foot cramps - only when swimming. I traditionally have not kicked, and I think part of the reason is that when I do, my arches and toes cramp up. I drink plenty of water, eat a banana half an hour before starting to swim, and take a potassium supplement before bed. I really want to start focusing on my kick, but today I swam my last 500 with one of my feet pointed directly at the bottom of the pool just to keep from cramping again.

Quote | Reply
I get foot cramps too but I haven't a cure for it aside from keep swimming, stretch it at the end of your interval, get back to swimming ;-)

You may be pointing your toes a bit too much when you kick?

OMG french toast is one of my favorite foods. And maple syrup is a Maine specialty! I have maple trees, we tap them in the spring, and make it. Good stuff.

Quote Reply
Re: December 1 [BigBoy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Never had french toast either, and I have no idea what maple syrup tastes like.

House is a medical show where a quirky doctor has to solve all these mysterious ailments.

Speaking of ailments, do you or anyone else reading this have a cause/cure for foot cramps - only when swimming. I traditionally have not kicked, and I think part of the reason is that when I do, my arches and toes cramp up. I drink plenty of water, eat a banana half an hour before starting to swim, and take a potassium supplement before bed. I really want to start focusing on my kick, but today I swam my last 500 with one of my feet pointed directly at the bottom of the pool just to keep from cramping again.
House rocks. I mean absofrigginlutely rocks.

As far as the foot cramps, mine were due to a loss of foot flexibility from my fishie days. The more you have to use the muscles in your foot to point them, the easier it is for them to cramp. As soon as I started flexibility work again, they disappeared.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the invite. I started a Google account and saw the spreadsheet but I'm a bit spreadsheet challenged. How do I add a column and enter my info? Please point me to idiot resistant (there's no such thing as idiot proof) instructions for adding myself on as this is the only way to keep me honest and brave the midwest cold for the pool. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Where are my lovely fishies? December Challenge! [LittleRingMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BTW, I knocked off 2400 yards toward my goal of 30,000 for the month. ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Where are my lovely fishies? December Challenge! [LittleRingMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4000 SCM

w/u
200 swim
200 kick
200 drill
200 swim

10x200 @ 3:00
I've got to work on pacing, 2:40 for the first two, then up to 2:55ish by 7 & 8, missed 9 & 10.
I think I'm going to keep this for a test set though, much more challenging than 10x100.

200 easy

6x100 kick (flutter, dolphin)

8x25 no breather (cuz its fun and it freaks the lifeguard out)

200 c/d

"Wow, are you a triathlete?"
If spoken by a non-swimmer, that's a compliment. When spoken by a swimmer.... -glitch
My wife's blog http://www.hostilewit.com
Quote Reply
Re: December 1 [BigBoy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven't looked if anyone else replied, but I think this can be from doing pushoffs hard in the pool (if you think about it, kicking shouldn't aggravate the arch based on how the muscle works).
Quote Reply
Re: Where are my lovely fishies? December Challenge! [mdd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I am in for 40,000 SCY.

First time for me in the Swim Challenge, should be fun!

Burn in Hades y'all swim fishies!!

I bought a monthly swim pass to see what I could do, but with numbers like these being tossed about, I'll say it again.

Burn in Hades y'all swim fishies.

* hydrosloth secret swim goal for the month

sub 30 min. 1500 M

with or without fins

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply

Prev Next