Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What does USAT provide when I have to pay them $15 a race?
Quote | Reply
Whenever I register for a large triathlon, I get hit with a $15 fee for a one day membership to USAT. What does this actually do? Seems like $15 per person is significant and I should be able to see something of value. Truth is, I fail to see the difference between USAT sanctioned events and those that are not USAT sanctioned - other than this fee.
Quote Reply
Re: What does USAT provide when I have to pay them $15 a race? [tobrien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tobrien wrote:
Whenever I register for a large triathlon, I get hit with a $15 fee for a one day membership to USAT. What does this actually do? Seems like $15 per person is significant and I should be able to see something of value. Truth is, I fail to see the difference between USAT sanctioned events and those that are not USAT sanctioned - other than this fee.

In reality, your $15 pays the salaries for USAT staff and helps fund their olympic development program. What do you get? Pretty much nothing, although they will tell you that their sanctioned events are safer/better because they comply with their standards. And wait, there's more! If you race sanctioned events, then that event is numerically scored; and providing you do at least 3 triathlons in a year, then you will get a USAT Ranking at the end of the year. Don't you feel better now? And there are some folks on this forum who think that a USAT Ranking is the bees knees.
Quote Reply
Re: What does USAT provide when I have to pay them $15 a race? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty much nothing

-----

Except you get entry into the membership event that you aren't a member of that you are bitching about having to pay to enter, lol.

ETA: that's all you get. entry into the race and whatever medical coverage that comes with the race.

This isn't some new concept. Go to local YMCA/pool/lifetime and tell them you are a non member and see what they say when you want to enter...pay a fee or don't enter.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jul 7, 17 6:33
Quote Reply
Re: What does USAT provide when I have to pay them $15 a race? [tobrien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You also get supplemental medical insurance in the case you need it.

https://www.teamusa.org/...xcess-Medical-Policy
Quote Reply
Re: What does USAT provide when I have to pay them $15 a race? [all] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agreeing with the above. our local series dropped USAT when the one-day fee moved from $12.

I've spoken with the RD. he said a handful of people complained about the lack of points but other than that, happy faces that the races are a couple of bucks cheaper.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you get great overall value.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you actually join USAT ($45) instead of paying the $15 per event, you get a bunch of discounts that offset that cost a bit. Why do you pay Active.com a "handling fee"? Because you have to.

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whenever I register for a large triathlon, I get hit with a $15 fee for a one day membership to USAT.

You have to pay the salaries of the people who are hired to collect money from you.
Quote Reply
Re: What does USAT provide when I have to pay them $15 a race? [David_Tris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
David_Tris wrote:
If you actually join USAT ($45) instead of paying the $15 per event, you get a bunch of discounts that offset that cost a bit. Why do you pay Active.com a "handling fee"? Because you have to.

Oh come now. I renewed last night (now $50) so I can register for a race next July. The discounts aren't worth spit because you can find equal or better discounts from those same services without being a member.
Quote Reply
Re: What does USAT provide when I have to pay them $15 a race? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

Dave, saying it is so doesn't make it so. It is abundantly clear that you are enamored with all things USAT, but please make your case to the OP. In this case, what is the value to an individual paying a ONE DAY $15 membership fee. What great things does USAT offer the occasional athlete who races one or two sanctioned events per year? I contend that it is just a freaking gouge.
Quote Reply
Re: What does USAT provide when I have to pay them $15 a race? [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mgreer wrote:

Sounds good in practice, but wait till you try and collect. I've read a few stories about that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can tell you that if you crash you get supplimental insurance. This will cover a portion of your medical deductibles.
I crashed in a small USAT sanationed race, and I have very good insurance (PPO, through my job fortune 100 company). For an ambulance ride, paramedics (yes I got double dinged on this because of the location of the crash / race) emergency room, accompaning xrays, and Dr appts for a dislocated collarbone I was out of pocket about a 1000 to 1500 (it has been a few years). USAT covered a very large chunk of this about 75% or so if memory serves me right.
At this point I have no issue with the USAT charge going forward.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is insurance for the race director/event. In reality, the USAT is in the insurance business . . . that is the economic engine that drives the organization. Certainly there are benefits - Race Directors would not be able to, in general, easily, adequately, and economically obtain insurance without the USAT. There are flaws too :-)!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a link to their FAQ regarding this question.

https://www.teamusa.org/usa-triathlon/membership-services/membership-faq

There are also member discounts, although I've not found any value in those personally... i.e. I can rent a car cheaper with my wife's corporate account, book hotel rooms for less, etc.

That said, I've noted when I do a cycling race I have to pay a one day race fee of ~$12 for a one day. For swimming I think the fee exceeds $50 which has kept me away from some swimming events.

I look at is as a fee to compete since most of the races I do are USAT events.
Quote Reply
Re: What does USAT provide when I have to pay them $15 a race? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Dave, saying it is so doesn't make it so. It is abundantly clear that you are enamored with all things USAT, but please make your case to the OP. In this case, what is the value to an individual paying a ONE DAY $15 membership fee. What great things does USAT offer the occasional athlete who races one or two sanctioned events per year? I contend that it is just a freaking gouge.

It is so easy for you and others to just attack, attack attack. I bet many would attack if I made the comment the sun was coming up tomorrow.

So just do not do anything USAT is involved with. Do you really think our sport would be where it is at without USAT? No way!!!

Again, you can live you life just bitching. I am trying to do a better job being thankful I am even alive and able to compete in this sport.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You do get a little insurance but it's not really about you ;-).

The primary benefits of going with USAT (or any of the other sanctioning bodies in other sports) are some decent insurance for the race promoters and the benefits to them of putting on a sanctioned race which can make it easier to attract a larger number of entries. Race promoters check those boxes because those two things make it easier, potentially more profitable (or at least less of a loss) and safer (i.e. not putting the house on the line) to put on a race.

So, in theory, your 'get" is a race to go to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Measurement tools to re-calibrate the swim in half. Or less.
Quote Reply
Re: What does USAT provide when I have to pay them $15 a race? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

It is so easy for you and others to just attack, attack attack. I bet many would attack if I made the comment the sun was coming up tomorrow.

So just do not do anything USAT is involved with. Do you really think our sport would be where it is at without USAT? No way!!!

Again, you can live you life just bitching. I am trying to do a better job being thankful I am even alive and able to compete in this sport.

Your response is called a deflection...i.e., you are not answering the question. The OP is asking what you get for your $15 one day membership. Your answer is that you get a wonderful, better sport which means...what? And is there any level at which you would agree that the one day fee is too much?
Quote Reply
Re: What does USAT provide when I have to pay them $15 a race? [twosix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twosix wrote:
Measurement tools to re-calibrate the swim in half. Or less.

i really wish if they are going to classify a race as sanctioned, the benefit we get back is the course is marked as certified standard distance. for instance here we have a race listed as Olympic (tri rock sd), but really is 1500m swim, 22mi bike, and 5.5 run . then there is another race coming up marked as international (which should be 1k / 30k/ 10k) but will be 1k / 29k / 9k . sorry but and excuse for not makin a course proper distance is lame. usatf certification gets it right..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Your response is called a deflection...i.e., you are not answering the question. The OP is asking what you get for your $15 one day membership. Your answer is that you get a wonderful, better sport which means...what? And is there any level at which you would agree that the one day fee is too much?

Not a deflection. No matter what a person says, you would still argue against it.

Been plenty of posts in this, and many others threads giving folks opinions to why they think it is positive, but you continue to always ask but why. So no answer will ever make you happy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Not a deflection. No matter what a person says, you would still argue against it.

Been plenty of posts in this, and many others threads giving folks opinions to why they think it is positive, but you continue to always ask but why. So no answer will ever make you happy.

I'm not arguing Dave, I'm simply telling you that you have not addressed the OP's question. And now your response suggests that it is my question. Go back to the top...see who posted the question. Then RTFQ (read the fucking question)...then ATFQ (answer the fucking question). Otherwise, do not post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
mgreer wrote:

Sounds good in practice, but wait till you try and collect. I've read a few stories about that.

I've made a successful claim on it. I was injured during a race, with a $20k ER bill. My insurance covered 18. The supplemental covered all but $200 of the balance.

Attacking this day with enthusiasm unknown to mankind.
Quote Reply
Re: What does USAT provide when I have to pay them $15 a race? [LundyLund] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Score 1 for the insurance!
Quote Reply
Re: What does USAT provide when I have to pay them $15 a race? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
You have to pay the salaries of the people who are hired to collect money from you.

gold. thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only benefit is the insurance. I had a medical emergency in a race, and I received significant EMT assistance, medical care, ambulance transport and some follow up and my out of pocket was $0. Could have been in the thousands, so at $15 a pop, I'm still ahead.
Quote Reply

Prev Next