Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What do you do for a living..... [msaad7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I teach part-time at two public schools, two colleges, teach 6-7 hours a week in my studio, and freelance. That's about the best I can get with a doctorate in music; not the most financially rewarding degree. I'm pretty happy with the races I've done in 4-5 years, but have never traveled more than five hours for a race, always camp for lodging, and haven't done any M-dot races because of cost. AFTER you save up and get a race bike, it seems like the biggest cost is running shoes every few months and race fees. You can make multisport work with whatever income you have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
28 years as a lawyer, 32 years as a triathlete.

I have a presentation I have given many times - "The Four Anchors - A balance Life of Fulfillment and Satisfaction" - http://daviddaggett.wordpress.com/the-four-anchors/

Best wishes...you have the whole world in front of you!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Work in an HR dept, spent 6 years in an accounting department and moved over to HR.

I'm the guy that will make sure the company is complient with Obamacare. I'm prime example how obamacare is creating jobs!!

I would say very little of my income goes to supporting the lifestyle, when I was younger before the family I tried to race almost every weekend whether it was a 5k or half iron. I'm not sure if I really saved much money, it all went to bikes and racing. These days its hard to get anything over 50 dollars approved by the wife.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I work at a quantitative Hedge Fund

Been a Triathlete for 8+ years now, I train at lunch, at night and weekends. Less than 1% of my money goes to triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do for a living..... [Runguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runguy wrote:
Francois wrote:
I'm a professional ballroom dancer. And a ninja during the weekend.

I think I saw you on America's Got Talent

it was the ninja gig, right?

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am an Elevator repair man and yes it has its ups and downs. I work for a large private University and get paid more than most of the proffessors there. I now have unlimited access to the pools and training facilities and staff but I am still slow, overweight and aging. Go figure. Life is Good !

----------------------------------------------------------

"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life".
Zappa
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do for a living..... [KonaDreamer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did work in the secure environment world. But I took some information and shared it with a few people. Now I'm enjoying bouncing all over the world visiting free and open societies that are the communist ideal. May not get back to the states any time soon so training is tricky.

;-P

Seriously though, I'm a registered architect that saw the writing on the wall and got out of the private sector in '09. Been working for the federal government since then. Currently work at NASA as a planner. Haven't had to actually use my architectural degree for design and drawing since I got out of the private sector except for when I do side work.

I'm not doing anything but running right now about 3 - 4 times a week. Those are easy to fit in with just about any job.

Last edited by: Daremo: Jun 27, 13 6:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pick a job where your income is positively correlated to the amount of work you put in not a random dumb luck or unpredictable performance of a company you choose to work.

said that, i work on wall street with sweet 7-5 work schedule. as a rule i spend half on lifestyle of what i save up annually.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Director of Training and Volunteer management for Special Olympics Delaware 10+ years
(Spent 18 years in private sector in operations management)

Schedule is somewhat flexible except around our large competitions and fund raisers.

No kids, except for the dogs, wife and I don't spend much so most extra $$$ goes to training, racing and gear.

Wifey teaches AP courses at a local private school....her schedule is better with June/July and part of August off!

Combined income and low spending allows for the purchases of occasional toys/gear.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do for a living..... [Nick C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick C wrote:
scofflaw wrote:
After 93 posts we don't a have a single hooker, drug dealer, criminal mastermind, pirate, or even a Ponzi schemer?

Speak up, underworlders! I'm sure Slowman can wipe away any statute-of-limitation-type issues brought on by your career reveal.

We already have lawyers and oil/gas company employees, what more do you want?!

I genuinely laughed out loud at that one!

Rav Dighe
Coach & Director
w: http://www.alohatri.com
e: rav@alohatri.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a part owner of 2 businesses and involved in the management of 4 other businesses. Fortunately I am not involved in the tedious day-to-day stuff and do more of the business/long term development. Our businesses deal a lot with the golf industry and my previous employment was in the golf course maintenance field. My current situation is fantastic and I feel very fortunate to have flexibility, make good money and work with my best friend of 35 years (we played softball together when we were 9 years old).

I am a runner who likes to cycle/mtn. bike. I won't even say how much I spend but as I type this I am looking at 3 bikes in my living room that all cost a pretty penny. I also love, love, love to buy (collect) running shoes, apparel, gadgets,........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
some seriously smart cookies here. Im not one of those cookies. Im a personal trainer/group fitness instructor/gym instructor. So yeh, i tell people to pick up heavy shit repetitively. This is only part time work, 20hr weeks. My other job? I have a 3 year old son. Im daddy day-care. Best job in the world. Crappy pay, but wouldnt have it any other way. My wife is a case manager for the department of child protection and does a 38hr week.
Tri's were expensive to set up but i have it all now. I have a 2012 P2, FLO's etc so nice gear, but no duraace Di2 wizzbang fizz high end stuff. We just got a road bike for the wife to have a go at tri's after bub no. 2 is born is 6 weeks. Fortunately we both fit the same sized frame road bike! good times! i train between 10-12 hrs a week.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do for a living..... [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I've spent time as an architect, an importer / exporter (Vandelay Industries), hand model, one day as a marine biologist, now the assistant to the traveling secretary for the New York Yankees.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do for a living..... [Tracker09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to every Ironman I have done I am a Mushroom Farmer. : )

"Grab a Brew Don't Cost nothing"
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do for a living..... [DonP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dentist. Been in practice for 13 years, had my own practice for 10. Usually treat patients M-Thurs 8-5...no lunch break. That gives me flexibility to get in long workouts on Fridays when the kids are at school. My family is more the limiting factor for my training time than my work. Two young daughters and I don't want to miss time with them. So I still do most of my swimming and running at or before daylight.
Enjoy my work most of the time and feel pretty blessed in that regard, regardless of the compensation.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do for a living..... [DonP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AirForce Pilot. Bad thing is about everytime I get back in good shape, I have to deploy again. But the good thing about that is I can usually buy a new bike after I deploy.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do for a living..... [stodr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Enterprise sales, income fluctuates between 90k-130k every year. My wife works as well in higher education (finance). The 20 month old is not working yet....

Combined we're around 160k/year which is much more than what our folks made, but we're also in the city of chicago with a mortgage and son, so it goes pretty quickly.

My triathlon experience is narrowed down to 2 races, Oly distance in Chicago 2 years ago, and just this past Sunday my first IM in my hometown of Coeur d'Alene. This past 12 months has been VERY expensive in terms of triathlon stuff since I had to invest in the following basic gear: road bike (converted with aero bars etc), DeSoto wetsuit, tri shorts/tops, compression pants for recovery, bike helmet, 3 pairs of running shoes, clipless pedels/shoes, etc. I'm sure there is much more but you get the point.

Really looking forward to investing in race registration only for a while. It's very tempting to start looking at tri bikes but candidly I'm not going to qualify for Kona and am in it for the experience of the distance so I feel I can get by with my roadie for some time here on out.

Of coarse I just registered for IMCDA 2014..will probably be posting a pic of my new tri bike sometime in the winter when the sales hit ;)
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do for a living..... [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 Professional Student/PhD student. Except in Electrical Engineering.
I love the flexible schedule because I can sneak out and train almost whenever I want. If I didn't put all the time I devote to triathlon in school I would be graduated by now, but it's worth it. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a nurse in the ER, wife is an NP. We both make 6figs + each a year, but live pretty simply. The simple lifestyle allows us to always have whatever little toy or gadget we want without thinking twice. I probably drop $5k a year on the sport between travel and the "latest gagdets". Of course, we both drive Hondas that are paid for, own a small house with barely any mortgage, have zero credit card debt, no student loans, etc. She's still in her 20's, I'm 31, I think we do OK.

Quote | Reply
Interesting thread...
I'm an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon and small business owner. I've started scheduling longer lunches to try get the workouts in.
I would spend more on gear and 'stuff' but my wife won't let me (sadface).
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do for a living..... [spb OMS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sales Director for a Merchant Services company
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clinical psychologist. My work schedule is pretty fixed, 40-45 hrs week now after many years of 60+. Occasionaly travel, and will bring my bike, and/or suss out running swimming opportunities when on the road. Married with 3 boys 14 and under, so not a lot of extra cash-(now there's an oxymoron for you)

Train indoors in the early AM to keepup with family demands, lessen the impact on the fam, keep in my wife's good graces. I like doing full and HIMs, but limit the fulls to an every other year or so, and try and make the HIM destination races for the fam. Other than that, local sprint tri's, runs, open water swims pop into the schedule pretty regularly, usually with some family option attached (beach, hiking, etc.). Spend between 1-2K/yr all together, including entry fees, special nutriation, parts and maintenance, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do for a living..... [Tracker09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tracker09 wrote:

one day as a marine biologist

The sea was angry that day my friend, like an old man trying to send back soup at the deli. Classic
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do for a living..... [alittleslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So here is a question for you high end job people.... if you could take a part time job that pays minimum wage but allows you to train more and better, would you? (assuming you do not live off credit or have kids) . The 60 hours a week you put in to afford that 10k bike can be traded in for 30 hours at a bike 1/5th the cost yet the training time gained will be much more valuable.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do for a living..... [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
So here is a question for you high end job people.... if you could take a part time job that pays minimum wage but allows you to train more and better, would you? (assuming you do not live off credit or have kids) . The 60 hours a week you put in to afford that 10k bike can be traded in for 30 hours at a bike 1/5th the cost yet the training time gained will be much more valuable.

Probably yes, once enough is stuffed away for retirement during high earning years. But takes quite of few years to stuff enough away. Big key is keep your expenses low and don't buy the huge house you don't really need and fancy cars, etc. (but do still buy the nice bikes though).
Quote Reply

Prev Next