Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What do you do for a living..... [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:
leegoocrap wrote:
Used car salesman... been doing it since I was in high school. Fixed Schedule, good pay (usually) and lots of downtime to play on slowtwitch (and hey, I get to drive some badass cars every now and then)

My dream is to be a trophy husband though.

I am a trophy husband. It's a good gig.

lucky...gah.

I'm willing to work part time at a bike shop if that helps any potential well off ladies looking for a so-so triathlete with rugged good looks...

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do for a living..... [Maca944] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maca944 wrote:
I'm an algorithmic trader. Whatever that is.

Did it used to be a credit default swapper before the great euphemistic downturn of 2008?

I am a cook.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do for a living..... [msaad7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Auditor for a public accounting firm.

The job has its demands for 4 months a year and some more spikes during the rest of the year but generaly we have enough flexibility for me to be able to train how I want.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Consultant for non-profits helping them manage fundraising and strategic planning. Working for a small business I have relatively flexible hours most of the time. I don't spend a lot as my wife keeps me in check with what I spend for equipment and upgrades. Only do a couple big races a year to help keep the cost down.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do for a living..... [scofflaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scofflaw wrote:
Maca944 wrote:
I'm an algorithmic trader. Whatever that is.

Did it used to be a credit default swapper before the great euphemistic downturn of 2008?

I am a cook.

Nope, used to be options, now only stocks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drilling engineer for an oil/gas service company. I'm scheduled to work 8-4, but it's somewhat feast or famine depending on how many clients we have drilling at any given time, so I can push that to 9-4 most days. Pay is plenty, and I supplement that with options trading to make life extremely comfortable and more interesting.

I'm probably looking at a maximum 1% of my gross to cover training/racing, but I'm not too crazy about this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a geek at a small software company. Pay is decent and I have some flexibility in hours to fit in longer weekday rides, massages, etc. I travel occasionally which does impact training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Electrician for one of the big three. Its amazing how people can make things happen when they are determined to do so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Software sales in Silicon Valley. Live off your base and buy toys/engagement ring(s?)/wedding(s?)/trips/etc with commission. Maybe not the best job in terms of flexibility to train, but for the most part you are in charge of running your little business and have some freedom based on performance.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personal trainer at a luxury health resort / spa. I worked from 6 AM-8 PM yesterday while our club was chasing all-time sales records for the company. Zero training time for me, but masters' swim team today, plus a short run before going in.

As one of the top producers, I am expected to train others and not myself, but sometimes, I'm sure I've got my priorities skewed. Very time consuming, but personally rewarding occupation...either you do well because you are motivated, or you starve.

I spend ~$2,000 per year on travel and equipment updates.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I work in commercial real estate with significant traveling commitments, client entertainment, and family. As mentioned previously, once you get a bike and wetsuit you can keep costs relatively minimal as long as you aren't racing every weekend and avoid the constant need to upgrade to the latest piece of equipment. . My wife has agreed to one full ironman distance and 2 1/2 ironman distances per year (she is an active runner currently training for a marathon). We plan our vacations around races and drive to most of them(I am not remotely competitive in my age group, therefore, I can enjoy good meals and beers without worrying about my race results, as I focus on the active lifestyle associated with training and the excitement, camaraderie, etc of the races). The key for me and I am sure many others on this site with families, long work hours, or any of the above is to wake up before the sun rises (I can't remember the last time I slept in). In addition, never let training interfere with family obligations and NEVER tell significant other you are too tired to do something with them because you are beat up from a workout. Also with regard to work, I never mention my training or races to coworkers as I don't want them to get the impression that I am more concerned about getting in a group ride or swim than my job (even though that is almost always the case). If a coworker asks how long you swam/bike/ran yesterday always divide by at least 2 (even if you only ran 2 miles. A 1 mile run for most of my coworkers would be a major accomplishment).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Detective, just like on TV in the greatest city in the world. Always a lot of work and a lot of hours, ESP on bigger cases but also a lot of off time.

Love the night shifts, busier but then I have hours to get a workout in before work and have time to hang with the wife and kids. (Wife is a stay at home mom now and kids are 2 and newborn so they are always home when I'm home)

Matt
Race-Ready Endurance Training
Team BIKEWAY.com
NYPD Racing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The state of Massachusetts pays me to stay home and look for jobs.

Once someone finally hires me, I'll be an architect again. I am a licensed professional though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a self employed carpenter. It's a fun job most of the time, and I love building things. I have been lucky enough to be very, very busy the last few years on some very interesting and challenging projects.

I enjoy the fact that my success, or failure, is pretty much completely dependant on how well I do my job and run my business (as opposed to worrying about office politics, sucking up to the right people, etc). The downside is that my success (or failure) is pretty much completely dependant on how well I do my job and run my business ;). All I mean by that is there are definitely the days when I wish I could take a sick day, or days after a long run when I'm sore and wish I could just sit at a desk instead of being on my feet with a 20 lbs tool belt on all day, etc. On the whole though its a good gig, and if I really wanted to be doing something else, I would be.

Training is challenging mainly because of time restraints. Summer is my busy season. Training during the day is impossible. I usually run at 5 am, get to work for 7:30 - 8 am, swim or do short rides in the evening, and do my long stuff on the weekends. Getting proper recovery, sleep, and nutrition is a very, very delicate balance for me, especially when it gets hot outside and I'm framing a house or something outdoors and sweating buckets all day.

I'm a pretty cheap bastard, so I don't spend a ton on my hobbies. Plus, I hate being the slow guy on a fast ride! We have a lot of great race options in the area, so I don't have to travel far or spend big bucks to participate. I'm doing my one, and probably only, IM race this summer and hate all the resources it's sucking up (travel, time spent not working, registration fee etc). Usually that amount of cash would finance my whole summer of racing. My girlfriend (a nurse) and I live pretty comfortably (no kids yet, both in the 70-75kish range), but as our income grows I doubt I will be drop more on tri toys. I have a good road bike, wetsuit, a few nice pieces of workout clothing... not really sure what else I would want.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
msaad7 wrote:
is the bike shop just a weekend gig or do you somehow stretch the typical teacher workday to work during the school week?
I do not work during the first 6 to 8 weeks of a new school year. Too much going on there. During the winter I will work one day of the weekend. I usually pick up more hours during vacations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Railway Designer/Engineer. Working on getting my license as a professional engineer but training has definitely consumed any free time allotted to study. Especially with a desk job the only thing I have an urge for all day is to gtfo and just gtfo. Desk jobs coupled with the five day work week is the bane of all mankind (though, still more than grateful that I have a job).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a pastor. I work at two rural congregations. The pay is not great, but the flexibility is perfect for training. I work most mornings, have ample time for working out in the afternoon and then work many evenings. My wife works and between the two of us we make around 100k a year. My in-laws have been very generous so I have a nice bike. I also live on a lake, so I can swim daily, well daily in the summer as I live in MN and the lake is frozen 4 months of the year. I live an hour outside of the Twin Cities and it allows for cheap housing, awesome rural biking, and a relaxed lifestyle. I am also blessed to have folks in my churches that encourage me stay active. Biggest downside is I cannot race on Sundays and preaching the day after an event like a marathon is not an easy thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a spaniard lawyer

I'm an attorney. Just getting back into tris after 8 or so years away. My wife is also an attorney and competitive runner. We have three kids (two of whom are in Wash D.C. daycare, the cost of which about equals the annual salary of many recent college grads) and two mortgages (one in a D.C. suburb). My tri bike is 12 years old (650c!). Race wheels were bought used and each is at least 12 years old. Road bike is 7 or 8 years old. Mountain bike is close to 20 years old. I did buy a new wetsuit this year and am thinking about buying a new helmet. I have enough flexibility in my job to get in a daytime run a few times a week. Swimming and biking happen at either end of the day and (most importantly) when not in conflict with my wife's workout or other family events. Long rides happen at sunrise on a weekend day. Between a few tris this year (Columbia, Annapolis this weekend, Beach to Battleship), some other random races, and my wife's running, we'll probably spend close to $1k in entry fees and equipment plus some travel expenses.

I'm happy to be back in the sport. I "left" the sport in 2004 in the middle of the pack and with a lot more training time on my hands. This year I have far less training time, do not own a "super bike," and am overall spending less money on the sport, and I'm still middle of the pack.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Instrument & Controls engineer at a 3731 MW generating power plant. I'm responsible for the control systems that monitor/control the plant as well as all the instrumentation out in the plant (field devices). My job can vary as I either troubleshooting issues, work on day to day operations of the plant, planning maintenance, or working on projects. I'm at work from 7-5 on a GOOD day. I've spent several late nights at the plant and few all nighters. I'm essentially on call 24/7/365. My phone will ring in the middle of the night to help with issues. The job is tough and challenging which I like because it keeps me from getting bored. The long hours suck, but I got to pay the bills somehow.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do global sales for a large international transportation company. My wife works for a large retailer so we have two incomes and no kids which allows us some latitude in what we spend on hobbies. Like some other posters have said, our jobs dictate most of our schedule which can be really challenging when it comes to training. I travel overseas about 12 weeks a year so that hampers training too.

My advice to you (as I'm looking to revise my career goals) is do something what you have a passion for and not what will make you the most money. Money will be a byproduct of what your passions are. Most of us work to live not live to work. Hindsight is 20/20 but I would do things completely differently 15 years ago when I was getting out of school.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do for a living..... [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Commercial Banker

Sarasota Storm Tri Club
Off Constantly Race Team
Challenge Factory Team - PM me for a discount code for 2015 Challenge Family Americas races.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you do for a living..... [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hospital Administrator
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm an attorney for a small firm near Denver. I make decent money, but the big benefit is that I come and go as I please as long as the work gets done. My wife is a part time pharmacist, which still contributes considerably to our income. My deal with my wife is that my spending on tri stuff would be zero net. I pick a lot of stuff up for cheap when I see deals, and tend to make a few bucks when I upgrade. Worked out so far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Technical Analyst in Oil and gas industry. I also have a JD and bar license, but do not practice.

My triathlon training blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next