Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Went over the bars - stability on descents and group rides [Crentist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The key difference in descending stability between bikes is how easy it is to get your butt right back over the back wheel.

At one extreme you have mountain bikes with dropper post which allow you to get the seat out of the way entirely and squat just above the back wheel. At the other extreme you have TT bikes with ISM/cobb style styles where you sit off the front of the saddle and the shape of the saddle discourages you sliding backwards.. Adding rear hydration makes the situation worse because you are physically prevented from getting over the back wheel. Road bikes sit in the middle because you sit towards the rear of a road bike saddle and can easily scoot forward and backward.

Its this saddle geometry issue which means a properly set up TT bike will never descend as well as a road bike. Others in the thread have mentioned the natural weight distribution of a bike but this is not totally relevant because stable descending requires getting your weight well back of where you normally sit for pedalling. This is just as true on a TT bike as a downhill bike even though the bikes have completely different geometries. So if you want to feel more stable just make sure you can push yourself back in the saddle.
Quote Reply
Re: Went over the bars - stability on descents and group rides [Big Endian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big Endian wrote:
Crentist wrote:
My weight was forward but I also had my ass firmly in the seat, so the kick threw me forward to a point I couldn't recover.

This was the root cause of your crash. With your butt planted in the seat there was no compliance left to soak up the bump. Next time when you descend, put the cranks horizontal, push your butt back on the seat and then unweight the seat about halfway, I.e. support most of your weight on your legs. That way if you hit a bump your legs will automatically flex to eat the bump.

You are correct sir!

Mountain Bike descending 101

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply

Prev Next