Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: US Olympic Swimming Trials [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I get that, but why should the Olympics have semi’s? They’ve gotten kind of bloated over the years with adding sports and events. I thought maybe coaches or TV execs would push to just prelims/finals. Unless there’s some benefit I’m overlooking
Quote Reply
Re: US Olympic Swimming Trials [PowerPlay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure - $$ for NBC! Swimming is amongst the biggest draws for them, such that at each of the last 2 eastern hemisphere games (Beijing and Tokyo), NBC has convinced the IOC to flip to morning Finals so they can be live in the USA. As with all things international sport, money talks.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: US Olympic Swimming Trials [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where is everyone? I can't get the live video but am watching the live results. Glad Andrew hung on to take the win, I think he is the guy we want on that A relay. What about Katie, is she swimming really tired, had a bad race, or just enough to win easily? I was thinking if she was on, she would have fired a shot back at Titmus, but it was more like throwing a pebble.

I'm going to guess that she is swimming through this meet, one of the few, if not the only person who gets that luxury. Nice to see the men drop some more time in the 200's, and with Caleb will make a very fine 4x200 relay. WOmens 100 fly looks super solid, also gives a good chance at that medley relay with our ace in the hole breastroker..
Quote Reply
Re: US Olympic Swimming Trials [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tonight’s session is on live on NBC. I’m sitting here watching it right now. The earlier session was on NBCSN.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Where is everyone? I can't get the live video but am watching the live results. Glad Andrew hung on to take the win, I think he is the guy we want on that A relay. What about Katie, is she swimming really tired, had a bad race, or just enough to win easily? I was thinking if she was on, she would have fired a shot back at Titmus, but it was more like throwing a pebble.

I'm going to guess that she is swimming through this meet, one of the few, if not the only person who gets that luxury. Nice to see the men drop some more time in the 200's, and with Caleb will make a very fine 4x200 relay. WOmens 100 fly looks super solid, also gives a good chance at that medley relay with our ace in the hole breastroker..

Titmus is apparently swimming through Aussie Trials, ie not rested. Will be good to see her beat Ledecky ;)
Quote Reply
Re: US Olympic Swimming Trials [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where did you get your information of Titmus not being tapered and rested? Based on her times, that is doubtful.
Quote Reply
Re: US Olympic Swimming Trials [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
monty wrote:

Titmus is apparently swimming through Aussie Trials, ie not rested. Will be good to see her beat Ledecky ;)

Yeah sure, good bet, because the Aussies have such a strong tradition of performing under pressure at the Olympics
Quote Reply
Re: US Olympic Swimming Trials [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:
Where did you get your information of Titmus not being tapered and rested? Based on her times, that is doubtful.

Watch her races, there are comments on it. She was clearly going to qualify first in Oz, so why would she need to be fully tapered and rested?

Also interestingly, she has a strong kick but sometimes breathes every 4th stroke in a 400 free - which goes totally against some of the thoughts on this message board.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew winning give more credibility to USRPT! Now only if I could get my Masters coach to agree. ..

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was surprised Rowdy didn’t comment on Kathleen Baker’s turn in the 100 back. She was so close to the lane line that when she turned over and did her final pull into the wall, her arm contacted the lane line pretty hard. I’m sure it threw her off on the turn and her underwater. She was in the thick of it until then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
400 Fr Ledecky/Smith/Madden
100 fl Huske/Dahlia/Curzan

100 Br Andrew/Fink/Wilson

What a swim from Huske. I'm seeing this a lot in my picks, valuing experience over youth - but that youth ain't so youthful, and age isn't helpful when the Olympic cycle's an extra year.

Men's 200 pretty much on form there, would have liked to see a bit quicker, or a couple more 1:45's. Going to be tough to medal at the games without some drops for the 4x2

King looked much better in semis, and it looks to be a horse apiece for the second spot in the 100br

What a race in the Men's 100br - so tight across, Andrew almost choked it away. Swimming the 100bk seems like a mistake. First time ever 2 non NCAA D1 athletes made the team in an event? Wilson swam D3 at Emory, and Andrew went pro at 14 for those supplement dollars...

400 free - hopefully Katie's just swimming through. Madden had a nice swim. In 4th though was Haley Anderson - i wonder what this kind of pool speed means for her 10k OW in Tokyo?

100 bk semis - pretty on form for Murphy, and really tight behind him.

100 bk semis Regan looked great, really nice for Berkoff to continue the family tradition. Not sure if anyone else noticed but Aaron Piersol was sitting right next to Dave Berkoff in the stands. That's a lotta firepower right there.

Quote Reply
Re: US Olympic Swimming Trials [scooter23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She also broke her foot not long ago, and I wonder if she might have jammed it on the turn or something or pushed it too hard off the start and it caught up to her (or fitness caught up to her). Looked pretty limpy leaving the deck.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard them talk about Kathleen’s foot before the start. I do feel bad for her being the former WR holder.

I’ll be rooting for Grevers tonight. That dude is a beast.

I’m somewhat disappointed in the overall commentating. When Dan Hicks would call the race, Rowdy seemed to talk more during the race. Tirico is a good announcer and knows his stuff, but Rowdy’s the expert, so I’d like to hear more from him. Just my observation.
Quote Reply
Re: US Olympic Swimming Trials [scooter23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Baker’s turn wasn’t great, but she lost a transfer spot in the last 25.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: US Olympic Swimming Trials [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Smoliga looked disappointed with her semi’s swim. Hope she makes it in 100BK and maybe a freestyle relay. US Women who swam in Rio falling to the youngsters. Hard to hang on for 5 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really wish Dressel had swum the 200 semi's. With his start he could have dragged the field out faster, maybe gotten some more guys into the 1:45 range, and Smith hasn't hit his full capability yet. Plus, Dressel has no swims today-- so it's even possible he's not at his 100% taper and shave yet. Since there are 4 guys who have been under 1:30scy, there should be at least that many capable of 1:45; I just don't think they are going out aggressively enough (same issue in the 400).

I agree MA swimming the 100 back doesn't make sense, he's got no shot at top 2, now he's doing two extra swims for no reason with like 4 events to go, all with semi's. Fading hard in your first event's finals doesn't bode well for holding form the rest of the week. But, he's on the team now and if they have to cut a couple of 2nd place finishers in the shorter events he's a good backup since he will likely final in all 4 100's plus the 50 free and 200 IM (although, maybe he tanks the 200 IM? if he barely makes semi's he should probably scratch given the deep field in that event).

100 back men-- Murphy looks dominant. I think Casas shut it down a little too much, I don't think he would crash the last 15m as he's got a good 200 (actually he's good at like all the 200's except breast).

-----
Quote Reply
Re: US Olympic Swimming Trials [Optimal_Adrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have serious questions about MA's 200IM -- he struggled to hold onto his first 100m race (maybe the weight of the expectations caught up more than the fitness?), and finishing the IM has never been something that's gone well for him - blazing 150, dragging in last 50. Got to think he's gotta drop it and focus on the 50 free and 100 fly at the end of the meet.

Thorpe's been saying for years that guys are too afraid to swim the 400 and 200 - gotta embrace the suck.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well we know now what the plan is for the men 400 free:
https://swimswam.com/...0th-place-finishers/

This plan seems very odd and they should have had better contingency plans before trials. To me this is very unfair to Grothe who doesn't get a chance to improve his time the same way 9th and 10th place finishers do. It also leaves out a chance for Bobby Finke who is probably capable of going under the A cut and who only didn't swim the 400 free so he could swim the 400 IM (and was 4th). This plan is half-assedly trying to keep the Trials finish order but really only helps those for whom this time trial doesn't screw with the rest of their events; they should just open it up and say 'fastest American in the 400 free (under Olympic A cut) before June 27 can be considered for this spot' with a preference to those who already are on the team for another event.

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:
Quote:

400 Fr Ledecky/Smith/Madden
100 fl Huske/Dahlia/Curzan

100 Br Andrew/Fink/Wilson

What a swim from Huske. I'm seeing this a lot in my picks, valuing experience over youth - but that youth ain't so youthful, and age isn't helpful when the Olympic cycle's an extra year.

Men's 200 pretty much on form there, would have liked to see a bit quicker, or a couple more 1:45's. Going to be tough to medal at the games without some drops for the 4x2

King looked much better in semis, and it looks to be a horse apiece for the second spot in the 100br

What a race in the Men's 100br - so tight across, Andrew almost choked it away. Swimming the 100bk seems like a mistake. First time ever 2 non NCAA D1 athletes made the team in an event? Wilson swam D3 at Emory, and Andrew went pro at 14 for those supplement dollars...

400 free - hopefully Katie's just swimming through. Madden had a nice swim. In 4th though was Haley Anderson - i wonder what this kind of pool speed means for her 10k OW in Tokyo?

100 bk semis - pretty on form for Murphy, and really tight behind him.

100 bk semis Regan looked great, really nice for Berkoff to continue the family tradition. Not sure if anyone else noticed but Aaron Piersol was sitting right next to Dave Berkoff in the stands. That's a lotta firepower right there.

Swimming is such a family affair; I know several D1 swimmers at my club whose parents also swam D1, and often they swim the same events that their parents did. Of course, there are also several who could have prob gotten to the D1 level but the kids just chose not to, did not want to have to compete with their Mom/Dad's legacy. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grothe had the same shot everyone else had. He finished 11th, and right now he's got a spot on the Olympic Team as one of the 2 highest finishers at the US Olympic Trials who also have the Olympic Qualifying Standard of 3:46.78.
Every finisher between 2nd and 10th has until June 27th to swim under the Olympic Qualifying Standard.
The order of placement at Olympic Trials is the determining factor. If Jake Mitchell swims 3:46.78 and Brooks Fail swims 3:43.00, Jake gets the spot. Jake placed 2nd so he would become the highest placing swimmer with the Olympic Qualifying Standard. Doesn't matter that Zane once swam 3:45 or Brooks would have then swum 3:43, and it definitely doesn't matter what Bobby Finke would have hypothetically swam.

I swim fast because I'm afraid of sharks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Optimal_Adrian wrote:
Well we know now what the plan is for the men 400 free:
https://swimswam.com/...0th-place-finishers/

This plan seems very odd and they should have had better contingency plans before trials. To me this is very unfair to Grothe who doesn't get a chance to improve his time the same way 9th and 10th place finishers do. It also leaves out a chance for Bobby Finke who is probably capable of going under the A cut and who only didn't swim the 400 free so he could swim the 400 IM (and was 4th). This plan is half-assedly trying to keep the Trials finish order but really only helps those for whom this time trial doesn't screw with the rest of their events; they should just open it up and say 'fastest American in the 400 free (under Olympic A cut) before June 27 can be considered for this spot' with a preference to those who already are on the team for another event.

I think you do not understand what this is:

The standing from the contested event cannot be changed. So nothing Groethe does can put his selection ahead of Jake Mitchell (who finished 2nd place). The only thing Groethe can "hope" for is no one else meets the eligibility standard of 3:46.78

Lets say 2 swimmer in the time trial make the cut. Mitchel goes 3:46.6 and Dant (who got 3rd on Sunday night) goes a surprising 3:43 surpassing EVERYONE. Even with that: Dant does not get the spot . That is because of the (then) 4 eligible swimmers for the 400 free at the Olympics - Smith, Mitchel, Dant and Groethe - Smith and Mitchel placed highest at the trials.

Step 1: who is eligible
Step 2: who placed highest at trials?

Groethe is already eligible, Groethe - nor anyone else - cannot move up or down from 11th at trials.
Last edited by: ajthomas: Jun 15, 21 9:37
Quote Reply
Re: US Olympic Swimming Trials [Mike200fly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike200fly wrote:
If Jake Mitchell swims 3:46.78 and Brooks Fail swims 3:43.00, Jake gets the spot.

funny that we more or less used the same example. I had mitchel at 3:46.6 though : )
Quote Reply
Re: US Olympic Swimming Trials [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand the rules. In your scenario the US has just shot itself in the foot with regards to medals at the Olympics by not taking the fastest swimmer. Which is why I think it's a bad plan.

Also because there is a chance that this 2nd qualifier isn't on the team if the 26-swimmer limit is a factor. So these 10 guys could go out and swim several more times trying to qualify for a spot that may not exist.

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Optimal_Adrian wrote:
I understand the rules. In your scenario the US has just shot itself in the foot with regards to medals at the Olympics by not taking the fastest swimmer.

I don't think either are particularly a threat to medal. IT is going to take a 3:43. I'll be happy with a bronze from Smith. So the the extent that there is sanctity of the trials, I'm not willing to bend for Grothe. *IF* Grothe were the WR holder and he false started in prelims....I might feel differently about the TT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thorpe's been saying for years that guys are too afraid to swim the 400 and 200 - gotta embrace the suck.//

Well Phelps and Lochte both swam lots of 200's, and the 400IM, quite successfully. I have no doubt either of those guys, but especially Phelps, could have done some spectacular times, perhaps even a WR. That 4;03 he did may stand like a Beamon record, doesnt look like anyone is going to get with 3 seconds of it this games..
Quote Reply

Prev Next