Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by cjathey
Re: USAC upgrade question [cjathey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You do 10 races, and finish them. that is it, period. they don't care how strong you are, the point is that you learn so you don't screw up the guys with experience in cat4, 3, and so on.

USAC doesn't care how special you are, you do 10 races. Even Floyd Landis started at Cat 5 after being a mountain bike national champ. Even Brandon Marsh, pro triathlete, is a cat 5.

that said each region of the USAC has some discretion, they could upgrade you if they wanted to, but they tend to be honeybadgers, especially with cat5s. win 3 or 4 races in dominating fashion and they *might* move ya up if you ask nicely.

you might know that you have mastered every art of riding in a pack and race etiquette, but there is no way they can know that =)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Last edited by: jackmott: Mar 19, 12 9:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're not entitled to be in a higher cat just because you're a good triathlete. You earn the right to be there. There aren't any shortcuts. Also, 4-3 is a points upgrade that you could accomplish in one weekend if you find the right omnium.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by cjathey [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can understand your frustration. The tiered road system, although frustrating, is that way for a reason. There is a LOT more to racing on the road than just being able to set at the front and drive the pace. Things like tactics, handling skills, learning various scenarios and how to handle different situations. Its a very, very dynamic race- especially as you progress. My experience was that the Cat 5 event is a bit of a free for all, with typically 1-3 really strong guys (who are just waiting to cat-up). Cat 4's are also 'field sprint city', for the most part. As you move into the 3's, the tactics and teams start to play more of a role in the race, with that obviously being the driving force (along with strength) in the P1/2. I obviously have no idea your experience level, so I apologize if thats a very basic explanation.

Just remember: no matter the race result, there are many, many lessons to learn- at every level. One way to approach the lower levels if you're heads and tails above everyone else- learn how to win. I know it sounds basic, and elementary, but its something you need to learn how to do before you move to the next category. Once you move to that harder category there is no going back.

Definitely not trying to step on toes, or offend- just some food for thought... On another note- if you go out and win a few Cat 5 events straight off, chances are the local USCF official will give you the upgrade before the 10 races.
Quote Reply
Re: USAC upgrade question [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
You're not entitled to be in a higher cat just because you're a good triathlete. You earn the right to be there. There aren't any shortcuts. Also, 4-3 is a points upgrade that you could accomplish in one weekend if you find the right omnium.

huh, yeah, 2 wins in big road races and you are a 3.

you can use my USAC upgrade points calculator to plan:
https://docs.google.com/...TQxQjg0S0x5ZFE#gid=1

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trust me, it doesn't bother most of us. It is part of the experience. At every level, there are sometimes guys passing through to the next level that you have to race with. Part of the game, sometimes you can use it to your advantage.

See my race report from this weekend, we had a guy with cat2 talent in our cat4 race. it was painful =)

Better to have the no-talent assclowns like myself occasionally get lapped, than have dedicated cat3/2/1 road racers taken down by a triathlete with more power than skill you know?

cjathey wrote:
That's certainly what it feels like. I also think it's really unfair to those who actually belong in cat 5 to have guys like the other two and myself in their race because it really strings out the field and ruins their race. I did see Ben Collins was racing cat 4 last weekend and he lapped the field something like 3 times. It just seems like a messed up system.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The process of USAC is pretty fair and can actually be a fast upgrade process if you are good.

You will need to do each of the following hundreds of times:
-Slam on your brakes to avoid a rider or crash in front of you

-Take a sketchy corner way too fast in the rain

-Bunny hop train tracks while riding elbow to elbow

-Go from big ring to small ring while cranking 400+ watts uphill

-Chase back on in a crosswind after being caught behind a crash

When you've done all of the above and gotten results, you are ready to be a 1/2 :)

-Physiojoe

-Physiojoe
Instagram: @thephysiojoe
Cycling coach, Elite racer on Wooster Bikewerks p/b Wootown Bagels
Quote Reply
Re: USAC upgrade question [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was at a race series a few years ago and there was a kid who's now at the OTC racing. He lapped the Cat 4 field two weeks in a row and the USAC officials would not upgrade him. They told him that he would have to ride "in the group" to earn his upgrade because they didn't care that he could ride off the front.

Sure enough he rode in the group... and crashed. Important lesson learned there for a lot of people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cjathey wrote:
How does lapping the field though teach skills? Isn't it still almost a time trial effort then?

Well you will have to at least pass through them a few times =) also you won't typically manage it every race. Our triathlete ringer walked away in the first race, but after that we stuck to him like glue.

Quote Reply
Re: USAC upgrade question [lmicah3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, that is another point. Just getting the points does not guarantee you an upgrade. the regional officials can decide to say no still.

lmicah3 wrote:
I was at a race series a few years ago and there was a kid who's now at the OTC racing. He lapped the Cat 4 field two weeks in a row and the USAC officials would not upgrade him. They told him that he would have to ride "in the group" to earn his upgrade because they didn't care that he could ride off the front.

Sure enough he rode in the group... and crashed. Important lesson learned there for a lot of people.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a look around your area, there may be 'practice races' that will count towards you 10 mass starts and you can rank them up very quickly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cjathey wrote:
To clarify. I was in the group drafting before I got mad that nobody in the group wanted to catch the breakaway. I also stayed in the group after that point and for awhile had an effective draftline going despite the team not wanting to chase their teammates.

nobody is suggesting that you don't know how to ride.

we are just telling you why the system is the way it is. this is a sport where pretty much every big race has at least one person leaving it in an ambulance, so they aren't just going to take your word for it that you know how to ride.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are usually very low level races targeted towards beginners..mid week. USAC permitted
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you actually want to do the work and get the upgrade, focus on results and not the workout. Sit in. Sprint. If you can't sprint...HTFU.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in the group drafting before I got mad that nobody in the group wanted to catch the breakaway. I also stayed in the group after that point and for awhile had an effective draftline going despite the team not wanting to chase their teammates.

Lol, that reminds me of scenes from Roubaix, when Hincapie was contending in the early 2000's. You could see him yelling at riders to take harder pulls, etc., all the while that rider has a teammate up the road, what was even funnier was he would be yelling at world champions to try harder to catch the break.

Essentially, the reason you just showed, is probaly reasons why USAC has the process it has. Just simply learning the ropes, etc.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure what you expected with the DU crit, not exactly a who's who of racers. If you are serious about upgrading, then come out for some of the events coming up, Louisville, Boulder-Roubaix, The Koppenberg.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe that when you are a Cat 4 you are a Cat 4 for all your races, TT, Road Race,or Crit. By requiring 10 mass start events before being upgraded kind of increases the odds of you being exposed to different situations before you move up to where they go faster and ride closer and where more "bumping" occurs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The system is not about who is the strongest, it's about learning how to ride and race safely. Being strong entitles you to nothing in cycling but being competent does, which only happens through experience. I'm sure all the cyclists were happy to let you flex your muscles by pulling for 10 minutes so they could sit in. But in the end, nobody cares unless you're standing on the podium.

You learn how to bike race by racing, from easy categories on up with experience--it's that simple.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Mar 19, 12 14:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a quick question? What's the rush in moving up cats? I'd just simply get in races and move up when they let you. If you crush some dreams and can cat up quicker, great. Are you worried about "sandbagging"?

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next